Etrian Odyssey 2 Mafia - Game Over

Grace

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alas, voting doesn't work as expected, scum acts in completely unexpected ways, people play against their win condition constantly, and your role PM isn't written by you.

Again, I apologize for my poor play this game. Hopefully I'll do better next time.

You didn't really do that bad. TBH it was less a case of you looking scummy and more a case of you not looking as townie as some other people.

Sorry to Manix and the rest of the scumteam. I was pretty apathetic about this game until D3, at which point it was kind of too late. I shouldn't have joined in the first place and rolling mafia when I really didn't want to and would have asked Manix to make me town if he hadn't explicitly said he was randomizing everything didn't help. I've simply auto-inned for everything for so long that until recently where I was just hosting instead of playing, I didn't realize how much time mafia takes up. I'd kind of just organized stuff around it. And now it feels like I'm organizing mafia around other stuff and I kind of don't want to.

I don't think my "town meta" is accurate at all because I did most of that stuff in Healer but whatever, it'll make my next scumgame where I actually care from the beginning way easier, so HEH. #playingthemetagame

I dunno why you guys are talking about other people obviously being Manix since Manix's playstyle fluctuates, I mean compare his recent games to when he was Bear_Knight.

But Bear_Knight was Snike...

And on a serious note, Bear_Knight was a long time ago and still when Manix was a relatively new player. I don't really think that it's still fluctuating as much. I mean, I don't think that mine's changed much in the last few months.

Well, given the ratio of rolespec to proper scumhunting I have done in the past two games, and the respective results, I know what I'll be doing in future games.

And I'll be mostly joining as a last-resort sub, as I have been doing, so if your game is going well I won't be there at all.

Edited by Baldrick

Considering the rolespec worked I'm not sure why we should've done less of it this game?

But lol gg.

Well, people kept operating based on the N1 kill being blocked even though it wasn't, and if I was town and the suggestions of the people who were advocating lynching between you and me were followed, the town would have lynched me, you, and maybe even Wen, and still not hit scum.

It's kind of like Villains 2 where the town kept assuming LJS was hooking kills when it was actually a force-idled kill and a hit ITP BPV that were the reason behind no deaths, and that lead to two mislynches. Whereas if people had just lynched who they thought was scummiest off play they might have lynched me and won.

It worked here, but that doesn't mean it'll always work and I think that's what Manix meant? That being said, Manix, I know you like not giving the mafia fakes because you consider coming up with fakes as part of the fun of being scum, but that invariably makes rolespeccing easier and more valid for town. The mafia have to guess at what town has and what it doesn't, and while that might be more "fun", it leads to a lot more CCs and a lot more "we have too many X-type roles so one of them is probably scum" type of hunting. Whereas if you give the mafia good fakes and design the setup around that, rolespeccing is more likely to result in a town loss. So you can't have it both ways.

(also noting that this setup was pretty ancient, and i couldn't be stuffed making large scale changes to it

also i did mention that the jan existed so scum could get fakes, but uh. yeah)

strong incentive to host more mostly-vanilla games

can't say I disagree with you. Probably also longer breaks between games to ensure people can play properly without breaking down from overwork. Small games too; no more than 12p.

Edited by Baldrick

The thing with giving Jan so that the mafia can get fakes is that people always have "what if they're claiming the janned role" in the back of their head and half the time you hit a role that you can't really fake like redirecting roles and hooking roles and killing roles and any investigative role other than Cop. And yes we had a bunch of hookers I know but still.

What I don't get is why you didn't ever kill Kopfjager the night you were hooking him or ever hooked me.

Well, people kept operating based on the N1 kill being blocked even though it wasn't, and if I was town and the suggestions of the people who were advocating lynching between you and me were followed, the town would have lynched me, you, and maybe even Wen, and still not hit scum.

I dunno, I thought you brought this up on D2 and I like agreed with you? Like yes I did think I stopped the kill, but that's not really why I wanted to lynch you.

imo a good thing to do is to send the setup with fakeclaims to the checker and see if they can guess the scumteam from it, THEN send them the full thing, and you get an idea of whether or not the fakeclaims are terrible or not

also scum lacking fakeclaims in role madness generally doesn't end up well for them

Edited by Shark Bait

all tired out from Villains 2

and I wasn't obvtown enough like I was in IWBTS to argue Tailor after investigative guilties

What I don't get is why you didn't ever kill Kopfjager the night you were hooking him or ever hooked me.

I dunno, I thought you brought this up on D2 and I like agreed with you? Like yes I did think I stopped the kill, but that's not really why I wanted to lynch you.

I wasn't referring to you really. There were people who suggested lynching between us for that sole reason.

I probably sound like sore-loser scum but I'm trying to speak as generally as possible... just happens that the case involves me.

I was hoping that people would think Wen was mafia who'd claimed the N1 kill as a vigshot and then was just faking hooked every night afterwards if we hooked him enough.