'good sir' is actually really obnoxious, is that just me

Parrhesia

like idk some people who i don't hate use it

but to me, it just faintly seems too close to people who have neckbeards and hats and post about their faces of atheism and how class means more than swag

it's a bit... reddit, is what I'm getting at here.

I don't know, I don't like pretence towards being 'ladies and gentlemen' in general, and in general it just sounds wrong. What do you all think?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I find it pretty cringeworthy myself.

I'm sure that not everyone that uses it is your typical "I tip my hat to you like a sir *obligatory monocle and tophat*" grossass cheeto encrusted hands "intellectual" pondscum but it does remind me of that sort of thing.

Edited by !

Yeah, I find it pretty cringeworthy myself.

I'm sure that not everyone that uses it is your typical "I tip my hat to you like a sir *obligatory monocle and tophat*" grossass cheeto encrusted hands "intellectual" pondscum but it does remind me of that sort of thing.

Pretty much this.

Well I use it to address people offline at my job. "Hello sir, is there something you need". It is respectful and I need some way to refer to the person and get their attention, though I don't use it online since it sounds semi-ironic here.

Well I use it to address people offline at my job. "Hello sir, is there something you need". It is respectful and I need some way to refer to the person and get their attention, though I don't use it online since it sounds semi-ironic here.

there's a MASSIVE difference between "sir" and "(my) good sir"

i use "sir" to refer to my (male) professors when it's not clear if they have their doctorate or not, but i'd never call somebody "good sir" irl ever

there's a MASSIVE difference between "sir" and "(my) good sir"

i use "sir" to refer to my (male) professors when it's not clear if they have their doctorate or not, but i'd never call somebody "good sir" irl ever

So what you're saying is all your professors are mediocre sirs at best :( Man that is rude!

As for me, I don't care.

I remember once I was working at a food kitchen just as a one-time thing, and I called one of the regular workers there sir. He thought it was really awesome that he had been called sir and was all bro'ing with me from that point on.

It looks awful and is a sign of poor hygiene, usually

Yeah. Neckbeards are bullshit. My cousin had one and i told him that if he didnt get rid of it, i would be obligated to punch him every time i saw him. Apparently the rest of the family agreed because he did get rid of it.

People who try to act overly polite in this day and age are rather annoying.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure why the eyeroll since they're obviously talking about 'overly stiff and formal', aka the sort of people who wear hats and talk about 'good sirs' and 'miladies'

hence 'overly'