The Well

Prims

realtalk tho besides "i love swordmasters/sks" do the character i got relate to how i act in maf in any way i am curious

Edited by Quote

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm claude

i show up right before the game ends and everything i do can basically be replaced by someone else but you still kind of think i'm useful cause i have something unique that you're never going to use anyway

[spoiler=SFE8]Eirika = eclipse

Seth = Paperblade

Franz = Strege

Gilliam = Kaoz

Vanessa = scorri

Moulder = Shin

Ross = Randa

Garcia = Elieson

Neimi = Eurykins

Colm = Shinori

Artur = Vhaltz

Lute = Mitsuki

Natasha = Green Poet

Joshua = Weapons

Ephraim = Balcerzak

Forde = BBM

Kyle = SB

Orson = Rapier

Tana = Via

Amelia = Iris

Innes = kirsche

Gerik = Proto

Marisa = Kay

Tethys = Polydeuces

Ewan = Junko

Saleh = Radiant Dragon

L'Arachel = Xinnidy

Dozla = Refa

Rennac = Bluedoom

Cormag = Manix

Duessel = Tables

Knoll = Euklyd

Myrrh = JBCWK

Syrene = Boron

Caellach = Snike

Riev = Psych

Selena = Paulina

Glen = Blitz

Ismaire = Prims

Hayden = Stolypin Necktie

Fado = Nightmare

Valter = Sho

Lyon = Ether

Gheb = Obviam

Since when does necktie play Mafia?

[spoiler=Fire emblem 9]Ike - BBM

Titania - eclipse

Oscar - Blitz

Boyd - Darros

Rhys - Radiant Dragon

Shinon - SB

Gatrie - Shinori

Soren - Mitsuki's waifu

Mia - Eury

Ilyana - Mitsuki

Mist - Prims

Rolf - Iris

Marcia - Xinnidy

Lethe - NekoNekoRex's waifu

Mordecai - Junko

Volke - Kaoz

Kieran - Manix

Brom - Randa

Nephenee - j00

Zihark - Refa

Sothe - Poly

Jill - Boron

Astrid - Green Poet

Makalov - Paperblade

Tormod - Terrador

Muarim - Baldrick

Stefan - Via

Reyson - Proto

Lucia - Kay

Tauroneo - Marth

Haar - Rapier

Ranulf - Euklyd

Bastian - Shin

Geoffrey - Elieson

Elincia - scorri

Tibarn - Rein

Naesala - kirsche

Giffca - Balcerzak

Left some characters out because I didn't feel like they resembled anybody remotely, if people want me to explain theirs I can do it tomorrow it's late.

[spoiler=reasons for a few]Most immediate association was Titania-eclipse because Titania reminded both Mitsuki and I of eclipse a lot as we were playing. She's older than most of the Greil Mercenary group, holds big responsibilities in it and they seemed really similar in personality.

Second most immediate was Mitsuki-Ilyana because literally all of her support conversations are about food and Mitsuki is thin despite eating 3 times as much as I do at buffets.

Last immediate one was Kaoz-Volke because they talk very similarly and Kaoz has demanded money to join a mafia game before.

Oscar/Kieran was perfect for BBM/Manix but somebody had to be Ike and I didn't think anybody but BBM fit. Oscar fits Blitz a lot though so it's a pity Kieran didn't fit Proto.

Gatrie was both Shinori/Paperblade because he's the closest thing to a ladies man like Sain in FE9. Then somebody suggested Makalov-Shinori but I thought Shinori fit better as Gatrie. Would've worked the other way around as well though.

Mist is Prims because he gets protected by his onii-chan BBM.

Soren was going to be Cam but Mitsuki wouldn't let me.

Naesala is kirsche because of EIMM but he could've been Shinon if SB hadn't been there first. SB is Shinon because they're both jerks.

Rapier is Haar because flaking. Poly is Sothe because FE9!Sothe is pretty much a rebel kid. Brom is Randa because we recently checked the picture thread and Randa is a large football player dude

The rest mostly just felt right. I thought Marth would be a cool Tauroneo but admittedly I don't know Marth much, also don't know how well Muarim-Baldrick and Giffca-Balcerzak hold up for similar reasons but the last one felt like a specially good fit afaik.

edit2: vhaltz, how do you feel about your day week in the limelight being usurped?

I didn't mind because it was fun and I was away for most of yesterday and today anyways (checking in to answer stuff but off again for the rest of the afternoon)

I don't think Xinnidy-L'arachel fits though because L'arachel is nuts and Xinny is cool.

Which character did you clear PoFV Extra with? Because I still can't do it with Komachi while being able to clear Extra on all other Touhou integers except Th02.

You can't really pick anybody other than Komachi for the first extra clear iirc? I'm pretty sure I cleared it with Komachi, then with Shikieiki and then disregarded everybody else and tried to clear it with Mystia (which is retarded because Touhou 9's AI is designed to be nigh-impossible to hit with small bullets unless they randomly drive themselves into a corner). I got very very close to clearing it with Mystia a couple of times but I'm pretty certain I never managed to do it.

I kinda wish ZUN made another Touhou like 9 with better character balance (Shikieiki is OP as shit and marisa and reimu are really dumb in comparison to most of the other characters) but I don't think it'll happen because there's not much else to expand on.

It's not weird that you can't clear 9 while being really good at the other games though, because 9 lacks bullet patterns for the most part and you just need to know how to use your bomb charges optimally and random-dodging reflexes from playing it a lot. I can't clear extras in other games worth shit while managing to play Th9 really well (although that was like 2 years ago I probably suck now)

BACK ON TOPIC, why do you like FE9 so much?

Up until FE9 all the fire emblems I played revolved around noble families and war between territories, the only exception being like, Lyn in FE7, who later finds out she's a princess anyway. The story was much more relatable because Ike is just a mercenary who does what he thinks is right, and there was a lot more dialogue between non-main characters with the whole base conversations thing which made it a lot easier to understand and like the characters without having to play several times to read a bunch of support conversations.

I still like the other fire emblem games, but FE9 was particularly good in terms of story and character building, I don't think there were any characters I outright disliked or any one time when I thought the characters were making stupid decisions or that the game was driving me around for sidequests to fill the time. Everything just tied together nicely.

FE10 was a decent sequel but I didn't like the whole Micaiah and Yune thing and the replayability is not very good.

wow vhaltz i thoguth u liked playing w/ me

vhaltz do u really believe i google translate my spanish

Both you and manix are cool but there was too much spam in .hack to the point where I wouldn't have liked to be playing it, so I favored longposters in my list =|

I didn't say that as in you talking spanish by using google translate to go english -> spanish but more like I was worried that you wouldn't understand us and you'd need to use spanish -> english translation because of that time you said your spanish was really rusty and how we (specially Tech) were using a lot of lingo

imo whether people spam or not is affected by game state and circumstance as much as playstyle. In Qprogue Via didn't really post too much when they were around but Mancer had more posts than anybody else in the game. It's not my playstyle to spam but I posted a ridiculous amount after subbing into Duelist Kingdom. A lot of games end up faster-paced when rolespec is involved because people turn off their scumhunting brain and just post whatever comes to mind.

That said, please don't spam mafia games.

imo whether people spam or not is affected by game state and circumstance as much as playstyle. In Qprogue Via didn't really post too much when they were around but Mancer had more posts than anybody else in the game. It's not my playstyle to spam but I posted a ridiculous amount after subbing into Duelist Kingdom. A lot of games end up faster-paced when rolespec is involved because people turn off their scumhunting brain and just post whatever comes to mind.That said, please don't spam mafia games.

I beg to differ. I spam post even when I don't want to.

not to mention i wasn't even playing .hack

i didn't even contribute to that 50 page d1

I contributed. . .one post. OOPS! And now, back on topic. :P:

What's your opinion of majority hammers?

I don't think Xinnidy-L'arachel fits though because L'arachel is nuts and Xinny is cool.

We're all a bit nuts and L'arachel is the cool kind of nuts so it's ok I think

What brought you to try mafia? Do you remember how your first game went?

Also biotech engineering is super cool o7

also j00 in big NOCers lol

I think that was the game where my PM explicitly said "I you're among the top three in post count GOOD THINGS will happen". More games should do that.

Anyway, questions!

I saw you mention reaction tests, Vhaltz, can you tell me what you're thinking when you're doing one? I don't mean this in a spiteful way or anything, I'm genuinely wondering how you're planning these and what purpose you want them to have.

I remember your reaction tests being pretty specific and deliberate, in a way that never let you halfass it and backtrack later. They tend to rile me up because I've a irrational dislike against reaction tests, but obviously they work, you get reactions. I'm just wondering what kind of reactions you expect/want, and how you're trying to use them for reading people?

I guess this is me trying get over my dislike of reaction tests.

I think that was the game where my PM explicitly said "I you're among the top three in post count GOOD THINGS will happen". More games should do that.

why am i now tempted to "rng" manix with the opposite version of this role

not to mention i wasn't even playing .hack

i didn't even contribute to that 50 page d1

It's less disliking twitterposting itself and more that right after such a twitterpost heavy game I'd prefer playing with people who post less and with bigger posts. Just like right after a game full of Eury wallposts I'd very much appreciate having a bunch of short posts that are easier to read.

My frustration with .hack also stemmed mostly from players I like who usually don't twitterpost and went nuts in that game (coughcoughkirscherefa)

What's your opinion of majority hammers?

I generally like them because they force people to actively seek compromise instead of stubbornly sticking to their guns without listening to anybody else who's playing. Sure there's some compromise in deadline lynches as well but my impression is that people tend to get lazier whenever majority hammer isn't enforced.

I'd probably use deadline lynch for Day 1 and maaaaaaaybe Day 2 if the game were sufficiently large and the playerbase had very diferring timezones, but otherwise I'd prefer to use hammers. Sure they're more demanding on players, but it also stops people from getting lynched in dumb/unfair situations where they'd get lynched by a small number of people who weren't good at reading them when the other half of town could've compromised on a different lynch if hammer were required.

(That could be argued as the lazy town's fault, but it's better to give people incentives to not be lazy in the first place imo)

What brought you to try mafia?

Mafia was among the stuff being played in the party games subforum in MotK. I was starting to get into touhou communities back then and came across Himiko's text adventures over there which meant I spent a stupid amount of time browsing that subforum and reading. Himiko's Parsee Quest is also pretty much the only reason I like Parsee so much considering that she's portrayed as a ridiculously one-dimensional character outside of that.

So I was reading all of these text adventures when I came across a Roll to Dodge game (Dormio's maybe?? I don't remember) where everybody wanted to lynch shadoweh for their first action. I got curious as to why all these people wanted shadoweh dead and found Shadoweh quest where mafia was one of the main points.

Then I read some old MotK mafia games, had no idea what people were doing past RVS and eventually started to learn how to play by reading BT and Bard walling at each other for pages and pages and pages in a game I don't remember anymore. Then somebody needed a co-mod in a different timezone for IMP mafia and I signed up for that, so I got to see PX/Dormio/Rawr playing around and having fun like a bunch of dumbos in the scum quicktopic (iirc they triangle bussed for the lols), so I got to see town play and scum play in an informed perspective, and after that I decided I wanted to play instead of just reading games.

Also prims shot rawr in the face that game. I was sad because rawr was a funny dude.

Do you remember how your first game went?

Quite a bit actually, I replaced in for ActionDan and people wanted my slot dead before I replaced in so I got extremely nervous and wrote a post for like 5 hours. Only people with an MotK account can see it so I guess you guys can make one and sub into prims' game when he inevitably needs subs.

Conq hosted the game and also got banned from hosting right after it iirc since it had a lot of bastard mod stuff, like having a 1-shot mass lightning rod, a mirror knight (who would reflect non-killing actions), a town framer that did weird shit I don't remember and scum having a dayvig that would kill them if they didn't hit ITP with it, when the cult in the game was actually a town cult and there was no ITP. I remember trying to lynch Farina (who was prims) and people telling me they didn't want to, and Hero999 posting the most epic post with regards to his lack of activity as Kaori.

(we also lynched PX instead of him, rip)

Towards the end I got culted by Shadoweh and panicked because I didn't understand the notion of a Town Cult, all I had seen regarding cults was the mafiascum wiki which said they were always harmful third party. Before I could get lynched for panicking scum!Kilgamayan bet the game on their dayvig in lylo, hit Shadoweh!cult and died because the cult wasn't ITP. There was some stuff about a busdriving serial killer win because all of scum's kills and actions got redirected with the weird roles in the game, and Kilga got really mad at Conq.

All I did was flail around and appear newb!townie while not really finding scum at all (Kilga was my top townread, rip), then town won anyway because of wonky setup stuff that caused scum to throw the game.

It was fun.

@j00's question. I'll answer that after lunch because I don't remember any specific instances of reaction tests I did as town, I'd have to check over FE6/ITTD again before I answer.

so I got to see town play and scum play in an informed perspective, and after that I decided I wanted to play instead of just reading games.

I'm also lucky I didn't play Midnight Crew right after IMP and waited for Sword Girls, because mafiascum's GreyICE played in Midnight Crew and was a huge jerk that would've destroyed any fun I could've had playing the game. I still can't really stand players like that.