QOTD 3 ★ Q600: What is your favorite Sanrio character? [With bonus question! Important announcement in the question post on page 370!]

Specta

Does returning to the "present" make up a use of the time machine? Because if that were the case that's what I'd use the second use for

save it for a year, time travel to whenever & do whatever then, and then return to the day before the "present"

then do it all over again

e: literally the only thing plain text editor fucks up

Edited by Euklyd

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably go back to the very distant past to study an unrecorded historical period (i.e. prehistory) firsthand.

I think what I'd like the most is to go back to the time when speech first came to be, so I can study how it originated and what the first human language(s) was/were like.

Adapting to the time would be hard to do though.

also makaze you liar you said you'd go back and save the library of alexandria from the fire

I GUESS I HAVE TO DO THAT FOR YOU

I go back to when Whitlam was Prime Minister to get a University education without a lifetime of student debt attached. Then I come back and struggle to get a job with my useless degree.

Go very far into the future.

Gain the ability to live forever/immortality.

Create myself a massive list of people to kill in history who did bad shit, starting from about 1900 AD.

Acquire the best, most efficient weapons, e.g. laser weapons that charge in sunlight, or some shit, so I could never run out of ammunition.

Go to 1900, assassinating these chumps before they get a chance to do whatever harm they did, when the time comes.

Thinking about it, this will eventually change things many years down the line as things happen differently, but at least things in history will be prevented, while different things will happen, things that couldn't be predicted. It may eventually end up turning out for the worst.

I should write a sci-fi book.

Edited by Raven

Go forward a week, learn the lottery numbers, go back to the present, use said lottery numbers to win. I never promised that I wouldn't be selfish!

it'll be cool when it turns out that the numbers get pulled differently due to something you inadvertently changed

imo go for less random stuff, like buying up land where some rare metal was discovered, or buying stocks right before a rise, or something similar

it'll be cool when it turns out that the numbers get pulled differently due to something you inadvertently changed

That would be amazing and also terrible at the same time. Thanks Butterfly effect.

just go back in time to right before apple announced the iphone or something

get busted for insider trading

you know the deal

Go back to when I was 7 and give him exactly 13 dollars and 37 cents. He won't get it and he'll be confused when I give him an amused smile.

then go back to when I was 9 and punch him.

Oh, either that, or go back to the time when Jesus was around so I can see if it actually happened. Noone knows for sure, y'know?

Oh, and Specta, what do you mean by 'no expiration date'?

the time machine will always work - you don't have to like use both uses immediately or something

I was tired sorry it if didn't make sense haha

Loophole time~. Go to the time when the time machine is invented and steal/create another one. 2nd use for the 1st time machine: go to a time where eugenics are now safely and commercially used for infants and pursue a doctorate specializing in eugenic modification.

:o how do you know when it was invented though

you gotta know dates man

Does returning to the "present" make up a use of the time machine? Because if that were the case that's what I'd use the second use for

yes that is the idea

Edited by Specta

also makaze you liar you said you'd go back and save the library of alexandria from the fire

I GUESS I HAVE TO DO THAT FOR YOU

Just as planned.

Go very far into the future.

Gain the ability to live forever/immortality.

Create myself a massive list of people to kill in history who did bad shit, starting from about 1900 AD.

Acquire the best, most efficient weapons, e.g. laser weapons that charge in sunlight, or some shit, so I could never run out of ammunition.

Go to 1900, assassinating these chumps before they get a chance to do whatever harm they did, when the time comes.

Thinking about it, this will eventually change things many years down the line as things happen differently, but at least things in history will be prevented, while different things will happen, things that couldn't be predicted. It may eventually end up turning out for the worst.

I should write a sci-fi book.

The only difference between changing the future and changing the past is hindsight. If you were alive during the holocaust you would stop it at the risk of your life, but now that it's over you might not go back and stop it. The butterfly effect changes the future just as much in the present as in the past. You'd still rather change things in the present or the future instead. I've given it some thought and decided it's all in your head. The "better the devil you know" bias.

Edited by Makaze

Go to the future, get a bunch of advanced weaponry, and then help the British Army crush the American Revolution. :GreatBritain:

How would something that Shin does in the future affect the present?

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Euklyd is positing not that going to the future would change the present,* but that Shin would somehow invoke the butterfly effect after coming back to the present, such that the lottery results he found in the future he traveled to would be different from the ones in the timeline in which he simply waits.

*Although! One could argue that travelling to the future could create some hijinks because one would suddenly vanish from that baseline present, and everything only gets more potentially complicated from there.

I might save the thing for a bad day, or I might go back to senior year in high school and do some relatively simple things (like giving myself a hint about how fucking awful going cold turkey off one's psychotropic meds without telling anybody generally goes, for one) to lightly tip it in the direction of "not turning out so goddamn awful"

there's only two times i would go to: the 60s/70s so i can experience dad rock as it is being created and also lsd at a dead concert. shit sounds so awesome.

the other one is the future where intergalactic travel is trivial. i'm not sure when i would leave, because i don't think i'd be willing to leave everyone behind. if i can come back, then i'd leave for 5 yrs. or something i dunno

there's only two times i would go to: the 60s/70s so i can experience dad rock as it is being created and also lsd at a dead concert. shit sounds so awesome.

The fact that the music i grew up with is now dad rock is still hard to cope with.

Id use it once to back and tell Christ, "Yo, i think you should go east and never return. Here's why." and show him a bunch of junk people did in his name.

The other...im not sure about. Everything can end up in a Grey's Sports Almanac sort of way, so who knows if i even use the machine for the first reason.

Id use it once to back and tell Christ, "Yo, i think you should go east and never return. Here's why." and show him a bunch of junk people did in his name.

sounds like a terrible idea

just give him these things and tell him to be more clear about what he actually means

he's got the right idea

sounds like a terrible idea

just give him these things and tell him to be more clear about what he actually means

he's got the right idea

Thing was, pretty sure he always was pretty clear about what he actually means. ;/

Thing was, pretty sure he always was pretty clear about what he actually means. ;/

then why is everyone arguing so fervently about it? we've been arguing for 2000 years

I would only need one use. Travel so far into the future time potentially ends. That way, I can see the end time.

For a less theoretical usage of the time machine, when I'm about to die, I'll go back in time and bring myself when I'm very young to the present time, effectively extending my life by a lifetime, albeit with some major temporal issues.

Edited by Interest

then why is everyone arguing so fervently about it? we've been arguing for 2000 years

Because they got it wrong. I dont think it mattered one bit how Christ put it, it would still be nothing but tears....Just go east, Christ. Go east and live happily ever after~~

I mean

people would just find something else to justify their bullshit

it's not like the romans were saints, and they weren't exactly christians

better to give a real, positive influence

I would not use my time machine to eradicate Christianity personally but I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder

Edited by Parrhesia

1. Find my earliest named ancestor.

2. Travel back in time to when they should've had kids (I have a pretty good idea as to where they are).

3. Ask them for as much family history as possible.

4. Return.

Screw big things, I want my family tree!