Tsubaki, the man flying a horse. And the status of sex locked classes.

Saladus

Ugh, I hope that's not a guy. We already have an archer dude that looks female but is really male. I'm really tired of men that look like women in this series. I just don't like the idea.

Tsubaki actually looks quite masculine to me. He looks even more masculine than Libra, and I already thought Libra looked masculine enough.

EDIT: The archer dude also looks masculine to me, but maybe I'm just more familiar with recognizing them as men.

Edited by Sunwoo

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, good idea.

Well, if this character is indeed a guy, I guess I'm just gonna have to roll with it. I'll have Ryouma to fangirl over anyway (hopefully, obviously don't know a thing about his personality yet). :P

Lol, even though he's supposed to be your brother? Marx might be a better option ;P

Tsubaki actually looks quite masculine to me. He looks even more masculine than Libra, and I already thought Libra looked masculine enough.

This character looks more like a tall female to me. That hair and that outfit, seriously. The face doesn't look extremely feminine, but we've had masculine-looking women in this series before (see Echidna).

Lol, even though he's supposed to be your brother? Marx might be a better option ;P

Why does that matter? It's not like I said I would ship my Avatar with him or anything. xP

Edited by Anacybele

This character looks more like a tall female to me. That hair and that outfit, seriously. The face doesn't look extremely feminine, but we've had masculine-looking women in this series before (see Echidna).

I dunno, his facial features look masculine to me. I'd be surprised if he is actually a woman (although I wouldn't care either way). Also, Echidna doesn't really look masculine to me. I haven't played FE6, but I did see her character art and she still has feminine facial features.

Edited by Sunwoo

isn' it kinda sexist to assume that just because a character looks and sounds like a male, that they are a male?

normally i'd raise no concern but this is in a mostly female class, as i said with my first post we should wait for more information.

I agree kinda, there can be masculine looking women and although I think that Tsubaki definitely looks male I'm not going to assume their gender. I wouldn't assume anyone's gender in real life or what they identified with either if it was really ambiguous, so until IS confirms their gender I'm not going to jump to conclusions

edit: if they were male though then that would mean nongenderlocked pegknights and that's pretty cool

Edited by Ciarre

I have to say that the only notable FE characters I can think of that I got the gender wrong at first glance were Midayle and Lucius, and I'm coughing Lucius up to the fact that the first time I saw him was when I was playing FE7 at the age of 12, and didn't have any experience ever seeing androgynous people before. Midayle was from a lack of information when he was first shown and also because in the initial cutscene I thought they were the earlygame flier you could get.

Tsubaki though is definitely coming off as male to me though. A long look at its portrait you can see that first of all, it has a rather thick neck, which is uncommon in FE women. Also the clothing it is wearing comes off rather masculine to me at least anyways. But man, I wish I could hair like Tsubaki's in real life, I'd totally rock that style. :v

well on the topic of a male pegasus knight I think that it would be interesting if the character was the only male pegasus knight like he wanted to be a pegasus knight but was bared because of his gender and then found and tamed his pegasus and became one illegitimately

No, because Marx belongs to me. :U

Im not sure if this game is having male pegknights, but Tsubaki is definitely a pegknight. Im actually not arsed either way. If Tsubaki is a dude and rides a peg, thats pretty cool. It would be seriously wiggy to finally bust that gender barrier wrt classes. If Tsubaki is a lady, still, pretty cool cuz look! Trousers!

No, because Marx belongs to me. :U

Im not sure if this game is having male pegknights, but Tsubaki is definitely a pegknight. Im actually not arsed either way. If Tsubaki is a dude and rides a peg, thats pretty cool. It would be seriously wiggy to finally bust that gender barrier wrt classes. If Tsubaki is a lady, still, pretty cool cuz look! Trousers!

Lol, to each his own my friend.

I have no problem lifting the gender restrictions. All it means is less restrictions for players and of course galeforce for everybody. Everyone wins!

well on the topic of a male pegasus knight I think that it would be interesting if the character was the only male pegasus knight like he wanted to be a pegasus knight but was bared because of his gender and then found and tamed his pegasus and became one illegitimately

If Kamui isn't class-locked then I don't like this idea. Not because it wouldn't be interesting but I've always wanted to be a guy riding my pegasus. Plus, I don't think that IS would do all of that just to explain why Tsubaki became a Pegasus Knight, as well as people being upset cause if they go that route, then people would be upset over it still being gender-locked since Tsubaki would be an illegitimately made one and the fact that it is a fact that Pegasus Knights are only women. I've always liked to think that male Pegasus Knights existed in Fire Emblem, you just never really saw them. Same thing with female Fighters, I always thought they were somewhere else.

Edited by DualMix

While I'm personally leaning towards male more due to a factor of

-Anime art style tend to be more ambiguous anyway, and the jawline artistically resembles a more masculine one judging based on previous runs through kozaki's art

-There's several map sprites and battle anims that we've seen that resemble female fighter/barbarians, which could mean the possibility of genderlock going away

-Kozaki can't draw women with shoulders for shit, look at his art for Flavia and she's supposed to be fucking jacked, normally if it was me drawing then yes it'd be more ambiguous, but this is kozaki's art we're talking about

and especially the removal of genderlock is a very exciting thing for me, I am also entirely open to Tsubaki being female because

-Kozaki miraculously learned how to draw broad-shouldered women, which, yes, exists

-Not all women like to dress in feminine-coded clothing, personally I'd like to see more of them

-PANTS

so really it's a win-win situation for me, I'm open to either, would definitely like to know IS's word on them though

Edited by Thor Odinson

While Tsubaki is usually a female name or surname, at least one male version (翼生) does apparently exist.

It's worth noting that the first character in this version of the name means "wing," which is awfully fitting for a peg knight. The second would be pure/raw/in its natural state.

It's worth noting that the first character in this version of the name means "wing," which is awfully fitting for a peg knight. The second would be pure/raw/in its natural state.

could also be "life/birth" or something along those lines wrt second kanji unless they took that meaning away in japanese

could also be "life/birth" or something along those lines wrt second kanji unless they took that meaning away in japanese

That's actually the meaning I am familiar with for that kanji, but that seems to come with a different pronunciation than it has here. Though it would still carry that connotation, I suppose.

That's actually the meaning I am familiar with for that kanji, but that seems to come with a different pronunciation than it has here. Though it would still carry that connotation, I suppose.

Could be. I only know Kanji through fluency in Chinese, so I'm not too familiar with the different pronunciation nuances in Japanese, unfortunately.

I think he is a guy, I would think that this is something that is related to Hoshidans, as you can see they live in high places, so I think Pegasus are used by both men and women!

Ugh, I hope that's not a guy. We already have an archer dude that looks female but is really male. I'm really tired of men that look like women in this series. I just don't like the idea.

Ana, I share the same sentiment! xD, anyways where did you get that Ike picture, looks really good, Code Name steam are style but not from Code name Steam

Libra's voice was a lady's voice. Despite the character being male. So ya know...

Well you see here, there are tropes of men with feminine voices, but there are no tropes of women with masculine voices, and don't forget this is a visual medium, where cohesiveness is required between visuals and audio, and if that was a Woman with a man voice shoe wouldn't look like that, she would look much more masculine, this guy is obviously a bishounen nothing more.

Well you see here, there are tropes of men with feminine voices, but there are no tropes of women with masculine voices, and don't forget this is a visual medium, where cohesiveness is required between visuals and audio, and if that was a Woman with a man voice shoe wouldn't look like that, she would look much more masculine, this guy is obviously a bishounen nothing more.

I think there are tropes for masculine women in japan, or at least I've seen a lot of a character type that's sort of like utena. A tomboy who doesn't necessarily look like a boy but acts like one and speaks like one and is extremely popular with other girls as a result. This isn't exactly what I'm thinking of but it's close http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Bifauxnen.

(Although truth be told I think the character is a guy, I'm just saying it's not out of the realm of the possibility it's a woman)

I think there are tropes for masculine women in japan, or at least I've seen a lot of a character type that's sort of like utena. A tomboy who doesn't necessarily look like a boy but acts like one and speaks like one and is extremely popular with other girls as a result. This isn't exactly what I'm thinking of but it's close http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Bifauxnen.

(Although truth be told I think the character is a guy, I'm just saying it's not out of the realm of the possibility it's a woman)

That's true the Tomboy trope is there, but you would never hear a guy voice from a Tomboy, if there was a Female in an anime with a guy voice the Female is bound to be ugly! or a Transgender (which I doubt that being the case) it's the truth, does it reflect reality? no it doesn't but Anime is far from reality, in fact Anime tend to have the perfectionist mindset!

Edited by The Radiant Hero