Laguz. Love them or hate them?

Dragoncat

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mechanics really don't help them. Fighting and then needing a "break" in the same chapter is bad. EXP growth of a promoted Beorc is even worse. The majority of them (and the exception is in RD) stuck in one-range mode just adds onto their difficulties. The Demi Band and Laguz Stones are a thing but: a) there is only one Demi Band (and that cuts Laguz gains in half) and, b) limited Laguz Stones. They don't need a promotion because they have promoted Beorc-like stats but that doesn't matter if you can only use them some of the time. If you're more of an LTC-er, maybe Lethe and Janaff would work, but they're still restricted to one-range mode.

If you're in the "I don't use them" crowd, what would IS have to do differently to make you use them? Promotion? No transform gauge, operating closer to manaketes in older games? Both? Something else? My headcanon includes laguz promotions and if it was a game, they would stay transformed. Stats would be closer to beorc stats to even things out.

Laguz already function similar to the Manaketes in the older games in a way. Laguz traded their limited-use weapons for a gauge. The Manaketes and Taguel had that problem of being one-range and their weapons could lose durability just by attacking them from a distance. Laguz' gauges also work on the principle of if you attack from a distance, their gauge goes down.

I guess keeping them transformed and evening stats would work best. Keep to one Laguz and they're like Swordmasters in how stuck they are in their one-range. It's still not that ideal for me but they have excelling stats for reasons.

Laguz already function similar to the Manaketes in the older games in a way. Laguz traded their limited-use weapons for a gauge. The Manaketes and Taguel had that problem of being one-range and their weapons could lose durability just by attacking them from a distance. Laguz' gauges also work on the principle of if you attack from a distance, their gauge goes down.

I guess keeping them transformed and evening stats would work best. Keep to one Laguz and they're like Swordmasters in how stuck they are in their one-range. It's still not that ideal for me but they have excelling stats for reasons.

Bold: Err, Manaketes only suffered from that problem in Shadow Dragon and New Mystery

I wish cats wouldn't drain their gauge every time they sneezed. ;/

As characters, I thought they were awesome. As units, they were a mixed bag. Some were awesome, and in Ulki's case, I'd intentionally leave him unshifted because he'd have a chance of dodging (Normal mode, pretty sure this stunt wouldn't work elsewhere). Others were, uh, unnecessary (LIKE LYRE). Still, some of the best-looking dudes in Tellius were laguz!

Bold: Err, Manaketes only suffered from that problem in Shadow Dragon and New Mystery

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm talking in general, disregarding any severity due to each game's environment--unless there was a game where there were no ranged enemies.

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm talking in general, disregarding any severity due to each game's environment--unless there was a game where there were no ranged enemies.

Most FE games did NOT have dragonstones lose durability in situations where the users couldn't counter.

Most FE games did NOT have dragonstones lose durability in situations where the users couldn't counter.

Huh. I thought they always lost durability if they even so much transformed. But I tested it now with Fae and that wasn't the case.

Perhaps I got that misconception when units like Fae were both fighting normally mixed in with ranged attacks during enemy phase. Well, the more I know, haha. Thanks for clearing that up.

I've never been into shapeshifters or animal people (which is kinda funny considering my nick at the moment), but I dig Skrimir's hair. It looks so fluffy~ I also like Caineghis/Giffca after I found cute fanart for them <3

I can't speak from a gameplay perspective due to me not having played the Tellius games, but while I prefer manaketes, I am fond of the laguz as a species. They expanded the shapeshifting in the series to beyond dragons, and I like their animal touches to their humanoid forms. I personally prefer them over Archanea/Ylisse's Taguel, but the dragon laguz are only on par with the rest of the laguz species and not as high as manaketes for me since...well, I view them as laguz expies of the manaketes, they lacked a variety of dragon shapes among almost all of their members, and I'm not a fan of how the majority of the species were distancing themselves from other people by choice, as well as the fact that it took so long for a baby to be born. I like their orange skin and markings, though.

...I REALLY apologize if I went into bashing territory with no good reason. I worry I did. o_o;

I can't speak from a gameplay perspective due to me not having played the Tellius games, but while I prefer manaketes, I am fond of the laguz as a species. They expanded the shapeshifting in the series to beyond dragons, and I like their animal touches to their humanoid forms. I personally prefer them over Archanea/Ylisse's Taguel, but the dragon laguz are only on par with the rest of the laguz species and not as high as manaketes for me since...well, I view them as laguz expies of the manaketes, they lacked a variety of dragon shapes among almost all of their members, and I'm not a fan of how the majority of the species were distancing themselves from other people by choice, as well as the fact that it took so long for a baby to be born. I like their orange skin and markings, though.

...I REALLY apologize if I went into bashing territory with no good reason. I worry I did. o_o;

You're fine~! If you want, give the Tellius games a whirl~!

Much as I heart laguz, I've never reconciled how shirts on the bird laguz work. Don't the wings get in the way?

I think that question applies to all the laguz, not just birds.

Dragons not named Myrrh - they look fully human?

Myrrh - no clue.

Laguz with tails - put feet in pants holes, pull up pants halfway, pull tail through, finish putting pants on. It sounds involved, but I think it becomes more natural as time goes on.

Wouldn't they have wing holes in the back of thier shirts?

I suppose it would depend on how sensitive bird wings are. . .and maybe the cut of the tops. It looks like the wings themselves are pretty big, though, so those would have to be some sizeable holes!

I'm overthinking this. :P:

EDIT: And such pressing questions are why I don't write about laguz, either. All the small, daily things that I like to capture fall flat. Still, gotta love a society that so close to ours, yet so very alien.

Edited by eclipse

I dislike dealing with the meter, so the only ones I really use are Royals and Lethe in FE9 (with a Demi Band). I just can't help but panic due to the meters.

there are people who give the likes of Meg and Wolt a chance.

As the resident Wolt fangirl of SF I can safely say his stats blow and the only reason I use him is the fact he's my favorite character.

I've got nothing against most Laguz as characters, I'm just not as over the top devoted to them like I am with Wolt so I don't bother. That said, Wolt doesn't have an annoying meter...

Edited by Glaceon Lord

Dragons not named Myrrh - they look fully human?

I'm pretty sure most Manaketes, if not all of them, have wings. I mean Tiki's depicted having angel wings in some TCG art. Same with generic Manaketes, but with the wings a dragon is expected to have instead. And Fae has angel wings in her battle sprite prior to transforming. If that helps, that is.

My guess is that we just don't see a Manakete's wings often enough outside of dragon form.

I'm pretty sure most Manaketes, if not all of them, have wings. I mean Tiki's depicted having angel wings in some TCG art. Same with generic Manaketes, but with the wings a dragon is expected to have instead. And Fae has angel wings in her battle sprite prior to transforming. If that helps, that is.

My guess is that we just don't see a Manakete's wings often enough outside of dragon form.

Even Myrrh is shown to hide and unhide her wings in FE8. So maybe that's just universal?

Oh of course! BEST RUNE EVER!

Oh you mean the units...I like them just fine. I just wish the cat gauge in RD wasnt so unforgiving... My favorites are actually the birds. I wish there were more playable ravens though.

Laguz Stones and the Demi Band are a thing.

Volug is only really solid in part 1, he is incredibly shaky the rest of the game. Nealuchi has wings so I basically put him with hawks.

Ranulf is only really solid if you stuff him full of bexp, him being forced is irritating. Skrimir has to basically content his availability with the actual nobles. He'd be good if he didn't have to content with the end game nukes you get.

Reyson holds a monopoly on the laguz stones, unfortunately. Demi Band is good on Muarim only since his bases were kind of tuned around it. Mordy benefits little from it and Janaff/Lethe transform on turn 1.

In RD, Ranulf basically 3HKOs everything and has high base AS so you could stuff adept on him or something. The good thing is that being forced means he doesn't compete for deployment! Hell he could stick around for a few turns, do nothing except shove until his gauge is full, then help out. Skrimir with SS strike is another endgame nuke and there are 2 laguz gems. Redundancy isn't necessarily a bad thing. There are still like 5 free slots after the Royal Flush is selected after all. 2 if you have Tanith, Jill, and Mia.

any gauge management automatically puts a unit below similar beorc

While I definitely don't disagree, it's hard to find beorc that can deliver as much righteous whoop-ass as the hawks or speedwings Skrimir. Sure there's Ike, Titania, Haar, Jill, and Mia, but who after that? Then again, most laguz in RD blow as well.

In FE9, they're pretty great overall simply because they can shove. That's all.

In FE10, laguz are trash apart from the royals, though Volug and Vika have a couple uses in Part 1.

Edited by Chiki

i'm pretty sure i've seen you use a hawk before

I remember regretting giving Ulki and Janaff transfers because they were so underwhelming. But I'll see whether I change my mind in about a month.

I wish endgame laguz were given formshift as part of Yune's blessing. Sure, it would make gems kind of pointless, but gems are already kind of lame to begin with, considering that by the time they're there for endgame, you already have the royals available.

The only one who gets formshift is Kurthnaga, and he really is garbage.

Laguz were... okay in FE9. The only ones that I have ever used are Lethe and Ranulf, and they worked fine.

I hated laguz in FE10. Being able to counter-attack while untransformed is pointless because they are more often than not killed. The fact that their transformation gauge always started at zero bugged me. Yeah, Olivi Grass exists, but they are never ready to go at the beginning of the battle, and they untransform too quickly. I liked the concept of strike ranks, but raising the rank was a pain. To top it all off, the royals make the non royals pointless for part 4, and make gameplay trivial in general.

A way for laguz to improve would be to give them some form of a ranged attack. Being stuck at one range is always a downer. Perhaps give them the option to attack at range with reduced power? I don't know.

Edited by Zvarri!