Laguz. Love them or hate them?

Dragoncat

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general I hate using them in FE10.

Of the non royal laguz I only use Volug and only in hard mode. He's one of very few units, who can survive two hits by the tigers in 3-6 and 3-13 and he has earth support.

Transformed laguz don't get any experience before part 4 so it's awkward for me to give them experience and raise their strike level.

I found them more difficult to use and kind of a nuisance with the form gauge running out and taking forever to fill up. The royal laguz are the only real exception for me, as they kill everything and don't have to worry about the form gauge running out. However I do like them but I never use them.

Meh, I dislike them. It's like Archers, they're a waste of time, imo, and I can invest my time in much better units.

It was hate at first sight, I would say. :p

Though I dislike them more than Archers., And they're awesome lore-wise. Lot of plot holes though.

In RD, Ranulf basically 3HKOs everything and has high base AS so you could stuff adept on him or something. The good thing is that being forced means he doesn't compete for deployment! Hell he could stick around for a few turns, do nothing except shove until his gauge is full, then help out.

I agree with Jedi - Ranulf being forced pissed me off to no end. It's kinda pitiable, really - Ranulf has pretty much everything going for him, but gets ruined HARD by his class.

I don't particularly like them. They aren't really that interesting. They are weak to magic types for no real reason, they can't use weapons, and have a form where they can't offensively attack. On Enemy Phase, you have to funnel only a certain amount of them to fight at a time because of the way the gauge works. They are generally locked at 1 range. They really aren't that great as a result of the way they function.

In PoR, they had good stats but couldn't fight too often until the gauge hit, and in RD they have terrible stats when they aren't transformed, but then turn around and have gauges that range from "okay" to awful. You pretty much had to eat grass every player phase, and the grass was disproportionately expensive in comparison to weapons.

If they combined PoR and RD Laguz, they might be okay to use, but as it stands, they aren't strong enough in comparison to Beorc to even be worth using most of the time.

I do like them from an aesthetics and lore perspective though.

• 2 weeks later...

Lore-wise they're neat. I didn't think I would enjoy the transforming animals; I thought they would be too gimmicky. But they were integrated into the world well and I ended up liking their execution quite a bit.

Gameplaywise they're blah in Path of Radiance, to be sure. They're pretty much just promoted units with range 1 only who can't fight half the time. The ones who join earlier have some use, certainly, but not in a way I find that interesting. Also they have that annoying bug where if you leave a Demi Band on one to end the fight, it will have 0 gauge to start the next fight.

I liked them in Radiant Dawn pretty well, on the other hand. Most of them had generally superior stats to beorc units (the ones that don't are admittedly pretty wretched), but they played differently and there were a lot of tradeoffs. Range 1 only, a gauge to watch and consider (really made you want to avoid them taking chippy ranged attacks despite the fact those would rarely hurt them), a major decision on each player phase as to whether to attack or use Olivi Grass... it was neat. My biggest issue is the gauge starting at 0, which meant they could never be relevant turn 1 (outside stone/gem + heron). Also, they played with Exp/Bonus Exp/stat boosters/Strike level in totally different ways from beorc. And the flying laguz uniquely brought Shove+Canto to the table, and there's a lot you could do with that. Felt like there was a lot of interesting choices to be made surrounding them.

For non-royals I use Volug, Ranulf, Janaff, and Ulki most playthroughs, and others depending on my mood.

Who doesn't like the Laguz, seriously ?

I mean... Naesala, Tibarn... damn enough. x)

I'd like to use any Laguz, if they get more than one experience point.
If they can get more exp., most of them like Lethe, Vika or Ranulf will do barely damage to the enemies because of low strength and / or speed. Only Volug for being part of the DB and having earth affinity, Muarim for being forced in 1-8 and 4-4 and a few more like Nealuchi, Lethe and Mordecai in part 2 to weak the enemies.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

Who doesn't like the Laguz, seriously ?

I mean... Naesala, Tibarn... damn enough. x)

Me. Okay, really, I kinda felt they were okay in PoR, but got butchered in RD, with what IS gave them not being good enough to make up for, among others, the fact that they pretty much require throwing BEXP at them if you want them to get anywhere fast thanks to leveling up at a snail's pace transformed and being pitifully brittle untransformed, as well as most non-royal laguz not bringing anything to the table that beorc didn't.

Great concept, poor execution. In the first game the transform gauge made working with them difficult and they petered out endgame unless they were Reyson since your beorcs would be moving on to Silver weapons and had forges and other weapon varieties anyways. In RD they were 'better' but they still ended up lacking compared to their more reliable human counterparts unless they were OP'ed. I think RD got it better but they were still too cumbersome to work with.

As for what would make me use them? Honestly, the problem is that they don't really have any role that isn't filled already by another unit class. Swordsmasters, knights, warriors, soldiers, all already filled their own roles and Laguz didn't really do anything different. Not to mention that the beorc units could access better weapons. I would use them if they had a defined role, but otherwise I'll take the vastly more flexible beorc units over them any day.

I have a love/hate emotion towards Laguz. While Laguz gave us really cool characters like Ulki, Nailah, Muarim, Ranulf, Tibarn, etc. I found myself at times where when I put a certain Laguz out to fight when transformed only to have their transformation gauge deplete and they die (Unless it's Ulki because he always dodged for me). The beorc units had a lot more variety in their gameplay and could already do what Laguz do. If Laguz had some more mechanics to them, even though I wouldn't really know what else they could add for them, then Laguz could have been used more. Maybe if there was a map design where there are locations where only Laguz could get into or something could have added more reason to use them.

Overall, I think the royal Laguz overshadowed the others because they were meant to be overly powerful which deters a lot of people away from non-royal Laguz.

Overall I definitely like the Laguz. I actually don't like how they work in PoR, but they were much more manageable in RD. I actually never really used the tigers, for some reason they've never appealed to me, but I've used pretty much every other type. I definitely like to use cats (Go Ranulf!), wolves, and hawks. Then dragons, lions, and tigers are okay. Almost forgot Herons, but they are a fun unit to have around. I actually don't like the royals too much, but obviously they are very useful.

Are Raven/Hawk/Heron laguz birds or mammals? Do they change phylums when they shift? If so do they have to remain in one distinct form when pregnant? What about dragon Laguz? Do they become reptiles? They gain scales after-all, so are they reptiles or mammals? If they aren't mammals how can they interbreed with humans? Can they interbreed when they're shifted? If a cat laguz is shifted can it have a kid with a wild cat?

What the heck ARE laguz in the first place?!

Are Raven/Hawk/Heron laguz birds or mammals? Do they change phylums when they shift? If so do they have to remain in one distinct form when pregnant? What about dragon Laguz? Do they become reptiles? They gain scales after-all, so are they reptiles or mammals? If they aren't mammals how can they interbreed with humans? Can they interbreed when they're shifted? If a cat laguz is shifted can it have a kid with a wild cat?

Naturally, they are Repmamirds

If so do they have to remain in one distinct form when pregnant?

It's revealed in RD that Ena is pregnant with Rajaion's child, and she can be in either her transformed or untransformed form.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

quick question here, does Volug ever gain stats outside of HP and luck?

got him level'd twice and thats all i've seen, his bases are fine and S strike pushes him alot farther then normal, but gosh his low growths...

I guess Volug is the reincarnation of Jeigan.

It's revealed in RD that Ena is pregnant with Rajaion's child, and she can be in either her transformed or untransformed form.

So then what happens when, say, a Raven transforms? I mean... the anatomy isn't even remotely the same. Same with the dragons? Are their reptile forms actually mammals?

got him level'd twice and thats all i've seen, his bases are fine and S strike pushes him alot farther then normal, but gosh his low growths...

His growths are low as heck across the board. As with most laguz.

I missed this earlier.

A species of demi-human, obviously.

So then what happens when, say, a Raven transforms? I mean... the anatomy isn't even remotely the same. Same with the dragons? Are their reptile forms actually mammals?

Why are you asking me? It's not as though I'm some kind of Laguz scientist or something!

According to the growths for HP and Luck are at 90 while everything else ranges from 10-25. So to answer your question yes but very rarely.

(Scroll down to Wolf class)

http://serenesforest.net/radiant-dawn/classes/growth-rates/

According to the growths for HP and Luck are at 90 while everything else ranges from 10-25. So to answer your question yes but very rarely.

(Scroll down to Wolf class)

http://serenesforest.net/radiant-dawn/classes/growth-rates/

These are the correct growth rates.

For example, Vika's got decent growths, as long as it's not Strength or Defense.