Gilliam or Amelia: which is the better general?

I've been comparing their stat averages (I want to have a sword-wielding general on my team because that sprite is so friggin' badass) and it looks like Gilliam's better in general-y stuff, but Amelia gets WAAAAAAAAY better speed. How fast are enemies in this game? Is Gilliam's endgame speed of 16-17 going to be a huge disadvantage for him?

Gilliam.

Amelia struggles as a general due to her awful strength, plus General is a pretty awful class compared to her other options (Paladin).

General!Gilliam will be fast enough considering enemies in this game are really slow.

Gilliam

Better CON lets him use heavy weaponry without punishment to his speed, which narrows the gap to a point of a non-issue

Paladin Amelia is pretty useless. General Amelia beats her in everything but move and if you want a paladin, even Seth is better at max level.

That said, General Gilliam should still double most of the enemies so he has the advantage.

Paladin Amelia is pretty useless. General Amelia beats her in everything but move and if you want a paladin, even Seth is better at max level.

That said, General Gilliam should still double most of the enemies so he has the advantage.

That... is alarming. Are the enemies in this game really THAT slow? Like, towards the end of the game they're at 12 or so speed!?

Looking at the HM stats for the final chapter, Gilliam only fails to double the dogs and the gargoyles with 17 speed, and the spider if he only has 16 speed.

That's 6 or 7 out of 41 enemies.

So the impression I'm getting is that General sucks compared to paladin? Or is it just that it doesn't suit Amelia's growths? Either way, I still wanna use General because, again, dat sword animation.

Edited by Alastor15243

Gilliam, and heck he even has Great Knight if you want him with a little more mov.

Amelia IS fun to use though.

That... is alarming. Are the enemies in this game really THAT slow? Like, towards the end of the game they're at 12 or so speed!?

Fun fact, base Dolza can double end game Lyon in Hard mode.

Edit: Also I agree with the sword animation being snazzy.

Edited by Jedi

So the impression I'm getting is that General sucks compared to paladin? Or is it just that it doesn't suit Amelia's growths? Either way, I still wanna use General because, again, dat sword animation.

It's actually... Both.

By being 20/20.

Paladin on top, General on bottom.

HP   Str   Skl  Spd Lck  Def  Res
46.2 21.45 24.8 25  29.5 17.1 14.05
49.2 23.45 25.8 25  29.5 21.1 13.05
Yeah, there's move, but if you're looking at 20/20 stats it's likely move isn't more important than str/def/AS with heavy weapons. Edited by Baldrick

By being 20/20.

Paladin on top, General on bottom.

HP   Str   Skl  Spd Lck  Def  Res
46.2 21.45 24.8 25  29.5 17.1 14.05
49.2 23.45 25.8 25  29.5 21.1 13.05
Yeah, there's move, but if you're looking at 20/20 stats it's likely move isn't more important than str/def/AS with heavy weapons.

That's honestly... a rather underwhelming win for General..

Yeah, I get you. There are those cute in this game that you just HAVE to use. Sword Generals is one of them.

Anyway, yeah, Gilliam is much better given he's around forever since Day 1, never dies, hits hard and is only really drawn back by poor Mov (which can be fixed, as Great Knight). We tend not to go for 20/20 stats as a reference since that's just endgame stuff (unless you Skirmish/Tower abuse, in which case, where's the fun!?)

Edited by Soul~!

Yeah, I get you. There are those cute in this game that you just HAVE to use. Sword Generals is one of them.

Anyway, yeah, Gilliam is much better given he's around forever since Day 1, never dies, hits hard and is only really drawn back by poor Mov (which can be fixed, as Great Knight). We tend not to go for 20/20 stats as a reference since that's just endgame stuff (unless you Skirmish/Tower abuse, in which case, where's the fun!?)

Uh, Gilliam can die. If he doesn't proc speed during early game, then he can get 2 rounded by brigands in chapters 2 and 3.

That's if they spawn with 7 speed though.

• 2 weeks later...

Gilliam. My Amelia got horrendously RNG-screwed when I tried making her into a General. Her defense was still 4 as a level 5 Knight. Ridiculous.

Regardless of how Gilliam's speed pans out, he'll tank like it's nothing, every single time. My Gilliam always ends up with maxed defense. I always give him the Swiftsoles to give him amazing movement and coverage.

Edited by Xanaxian

http://serenesforest.net/the-sacred-stones/characters/average-stats/gilliam/general/

http://serenesforest.net/the-sacred-stones/characters/average-stats/amelia/knight/general/

Just comparing level 1 generals from both charts, on average Gilliam will have 5.6 higher HP, 1.4 higher Strength, and 4.4 higher Defense.

Amelia, on average, will have 4.6 higher Skill, 7.4 higher Speed, 12.2 higher Luck, and 1 higher Resistance. Your mileage may vary on which stats have greater value; I personally think that Amelia's higher Skill, Speed, and Luck trump Gilliam's higher HP, Strength, and Defense.

At level 20, the differences are as follows:

Gilliam on average has 10.8 more HP, 3.3 higher Strength, and 8.9 higher Defense.

Amelia on average has 5.55 more Skill, 8.5 more Speed, 16 more Luck, and 0.5 more Resistance.

I'm pretty sure that Amelia can make better use of the Great Shield ability than Gilliam can too.

Edited by Paper Jam

Amelia seems to be much more tedious to train, since she joins a bunch of chapters later than Gilliam and needs double the amount of levels. He probably is ready for promotion (will likely use the second Knight Crest I guess) at the point where she's a Lv1 Recruit. That is, unless you grind, but grinding makes like every unit broken so it's sort of a moot point to bring it up.

Edited by Gradivus.

With Gilliam's low Speed growths, he probably won't be double-attacking anything even in chapter 9. Besides, I don't think there are enough enemies in chapters 1-8 to get Gilliam up to level 20 and promote him unless you feed every single kill to him (That is, unless you grind; but as you say, grinding makes every unit broken so it's sort of a moot point). And because Amelia is at such a low level, she levels up extremely quickly; I've never had any trouble getting her to her first promotion by chapter 11, even without grinding.

Amelia is definitely an Est-type character, and those who don't like Est-type characters won't like Amelia; but those who do, will.

Edited by Paper Jam

I don't really have much experience with using either admittedly, so I won't continue arguing on this, but I don't see why you have to get him to Lv20. Lv10-13 is probably enough and doesn't sound really hard to come by over the span of 10 chapters (i.e. when the second Knight Crest is available). Though honestly if you want to double things, General is pretty suboptimal anyway and he'll likely prefer Great Knight. As a General, he's likely to get into getting tinked range more easily, and Warp uses are pretty generous anyway so you can probably use it to improve his positioning. I give you that it's a matter of preference whether she's "worth the effort"; I personally bet she's not, though - I'm generally not really fond of training Ests.

Edited by Gradivus.