Fixing Fates story issues (spoilers)

Yari

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And? That's not what I'm trying to explain. The people of Nohr are the product of a harsh, unforgiving environment that forces them to be cold and even aggressive. Even Kamui and Aqua admit as such in the IK supports. Aqua even makes some ironic comment about how Hoshido can be so perfect and flawless because their opposite country is a literal hell. The nations are two sides of the same coin, with both their roots tied to the same entity.

Plus Hoshido isn't too saintly. There have been Hoshidans who have hated Aqua for years, and the entire reason she is forced to go to Nohr on Conquest is because they force her out, while sending assassins to kill her like they've always wanted to on Hoshido (Subaki Supports). Ryouma tries to blackmail Kamui on Conquest for the medicine to cure Elise, which is in no way a morally right act. Not to mention assassinations in general, with the ones coming after Kamui in his supports are filled with vengeance and want them and Nohr to burn in hell. Heck the one in A support comes just to avenge the one from B support, ignoring that they are the ones trying to assassinate him.

Read the IK support:

http://pastebin.com/qLSYEHE7

Seeing the Nohr-Hoshido conflict makes me think of the North-South Thracia conflict. Except the latter was actually well written...

That I can definitely agree on. It doesn't help that Kamui spent their life in a castle away from Nohrdor and its different exotic shades of hell.

I edited the first post with some changes I want to make and some ideas for Touma. Right now Touma is proving itself to be harder than I thought...

On the issue of the Touma Kingdom I might have an idea. II'm thinking of a 'parent-child' role swap for the IK story. That was worded poorly. What I mean is, have Kanna be the star of the IK plot, while Shigure takes the role of Aqua. Swap, replace, and integrate roles as needed, but that's the core idea.

The issue then becomes explaining the children, but at least its something.

Edited by Alisa180

Speaking of children; does anyone have ideas for a better explanation for the 2ed gens besides hyperbolic time chamber babies? I am planning to write a fanfiction set post Nohr route (that will stealth retcon the dumb parts of that story), but am struggling to find a less dumb justification for them

Speaking of children; does anyone have ideas for a better explanation for the 2ed gens besides hyperbolic time chamber babies? I am planning to write a fanfiction set post Nohr route (that will stealth retcon the dumb parts of that story), but am struggling to find a less dumb justification for them

Adoption? I mean, during war there is never a shortage of orphans.

For one of my (non-crossover) story ideas, I had something concerning time loops but time travel is a bit worn out by now I suppose.

Is there a problem with time passing and letting the 1st generation get older?

For one of my (non-crossover) story ideas, I had something concerning time loops but time travel is a bit worn out by now I suppose.

Yeah, I kinda wanted to avoid time travel because my story is going to be a direct crossover between Fates and Awakening (in process trying to clean up the mess created by Owain, Inigo, and Severa being in Fates) so using time travel again might be messy. Then again, part of the idea for the story is for it to end on a time loop, resetting things to before the choice with the implication that this time the 3ed route will be chosen, so I suppose I could try to work that in somehow.

That would be the back up plan, though the then leads to me needing to justify after the fact that the events took place over a much longer period of time, which would be tricky in a story that will pick up afterwards.

In the end I want to find some way to keep the children in in a less stupid way, but avoid making massive changes to the timeline (which wouldn't be a problem if I were rewritting the story itself, in fact it would be preferable. However, I am not doing so for this story)

Edited by TheWerdna

There is no problem with that at all. I'm going for that in my fic. The children will have an important role in the Touma storyline wich will only start once the timeskip in the story ends.

it sure is better than the baking baby in another dimension thing.

And it's a war, of course the time is goind pass..... even though the kid seems to be 20 year old, so that mean that 20 passed without anything going on.

So, yeah, it might not be perfect,

Edited by B.Leu

And it's a war, of course the time is goind pass..... even though the kid seems to be 20 year old, so that mean that 20 passed without anything going on.

So, yeah, it might not be perfect,

What do you mean without anything going on for 20 years? It can easily be hinted several battles and conflicts between the countries that happened during the passing of the time. So I'm sorry but I don't understand your reasoning.

Exactly, just tiny battle but nothing that matter at all. I'm no an expert in war, but I think that in 20 years or so this Hoshido/Nohr should have already ended.

Hell, even just 1 years should be enough.

Edited by B.Leu

That would be the back up plan, though the then leads to me needing to justify after the fact that the events took place over a much longer period of time, which would be tricky in a story that will pick up afterwards.

Depends on what you want to do. Awakening's story was easy to stretch out for example, as it didn't really have any concept of time. The war against Walhart could have easily been 9 months or 9 years.

Any chance Treehouse will improve the story? Are there any past examples of the localization version being better than the original (or at least was able to fix certain aspects of a game)?

I wish the developers would somehow take a gander through this thread, there are some surprisingly great ideas posted here.

Any chance Treehouse will improve the story? Are there any past examples of the localization version being better than the original (or at least was able to fix certain aspects of a game)?

I wish the developers would somehow take a gander through this thread, there are some surprisingly great ideas posted here.

Maybe they do ? I mean, I don't wish that for them, it could be unhealthy... :p

But maybe they already do ?

Edited by B.Leu

Well I'm not familiar with Treehouses work, but i've read that they are pretty highly regarded among localization teams so that is a plus.

I imagine at best we could get a few details cleaned up, and some stronger characterization, but any issues with the main plots will remain.

Example: The explanation of why the Black Knight survived the fight in Path of Radiance. Minor detail, but it did help.

Depends on what you want to do. Awakening's story was easy to stretch out for example, as it didn't really have any concept of time. The war against Walhart could have easily been 9 months or 9 years.

More or less it causes some issues with the whole crossover aspect, as it would be kinda weird when three characters from Awakening have like 20 years added to their timelines compared to everyone else due to being in Fates.

The purpose of my story is to try and tie the whole fact that Owain, Severa, and Inigo are in Fates into a crossover plotline. In doing so I hope to make it so they are the same versions as my given personal canon for Awakening, preserving pairings and such. Along the way I just intend to also "stealth retcon" a lot of the dumb in Fates.

Edited by TheWerdna

Exactly, just tiny battle but nothing that matter at all. I'm no an expert in war, but I think that in 20 years or so this Hoshido/Nohr should have already ended.

Hell, even just 1 years should be enough.

Depending on how the author wants to write it, there are alot of things going BESIDES battles in war. Heck, battles are rare in wars and only engaged when necessary or decisive, cause alot of people dies. The whole Nohr/Hoshido war is about Nohr invading Hoshido and taking their territories. It could take 5 months to take a territory and 5 years to consolidate it.

In FE4, Shanan and Oifey spent the inter-generation years to build a resistance force, while other various events happened in which the remnants of Sigurd's army were eradicated. The Dozels and the Freeges had to spend quite some time quelling rebellions in Isaach and Agustria respectively.

But of course, it depends whether the writer wants to incorporate that, but it's not difficult to do.

Yeah, I kinda wanted to avoid time travel because my story is going to be a direct crossover between Fates and Awakening (in process trying to clean up the mess created by Owain, Inigo, and Severa being in Fates) so using time travel again might be messy. Then again, part of the idea for the story is for it to end on a time loop, resetting things to before the choice with the implication that this time the 3ed route will be chosen, so I suppose I could try to work that in somehow.

In the end I want to find some way to keep the children in in a less stupid way, but avoid making massive changes to the timeline (which wouldn't be a problem if I were rewritting the story itself, in fact it would be preferable. However, I am not doing so for this story)

Oh wow, what a coincidence, the time loop in my idea resets to a point just a short time before the choice.

You might want to hear the full idea I had for this, not like I'm ever going to write it. Warning, its a long thing.

Basically, the kids are still 'hyperbolic chamber' but the catch is they originated from a version of the IK timeline where everyone but them was *slaughtered.* At what point is up to author discretion. Now, the loops had actually been going on for a while, but this was the first timeline where the kids had been produced. They barely escaped the massacre being transported back to the secluded lands by Lilith at the final request of their parents. But since the secluded lands are kinda detached from Fates' spacetime to begin with, this had the side effect of shielding them from the loop when the timeline reset.

The idea is that the timeline switches between the Conquest and Birthright timelines, with the IK timeline occurring very rarely (with the end result the kids experienced instead of the good end). The 'trigger' is Aqua's death. I never fully developed why this was happening, but the idea is that whoever is behind it is trying to find a timeline where Aqua survives. The kids are kinda observers at first, while witnessing the death of their parents multiple times as a consequence of being on either side of the conflict. They eventually get involved, and start interfering. The trick is, while they know how to influence things so Corrin makes the third choice, they don't know how to avoid the Kill 'Em All at the end.

The loops aren't perfect, as the existence of the kids themselves showed. And they had effects beyond just the Fates world. Now, here's where it kinda got specific to my story and headcanons, and crossed the line into 'epic idea that I'm probably never going to write.' The timeline where the Awakening kids came from is one where Inigo married Robin. The catch is, Robin didn't sacrifice herself to destroy Grima, choosing to allow it to be put to sleep. And allowing her to live long enough to at least have their daughter, Soleil. You can probably see where this is starting to go...

Inigo, Severa, and Owain departed for the other world to stop Anankos, urged on by Naga who sensed it could eventually threaten their world. However, as a consequence of the failed IK timeline, not only did the three of them never return home from the perspective of their world, but Anankos was unleashed. With the space-time dragon god threatening to rip their world apart (and thanks to being in another world, was separated from the timeloops and now existed independently of them), Robin decided the Godzilla threshold had been crossed. She attempted a version of the Awakening ritual, which she hoped would give her control over Grima even after its revival. The good news is, Grima was able to drive off Anankos. Bad news, Robin was wrong about the control. So very wrong. The result was the Future of Despair.

In Robin's defense, at that point, their world was fucked either way. All things considered, the Future of Despair was actually the better outcome, and gave the residents something of a fighting chance. Where they had pretty much none under Anankos.

At some point, Soleil was separated from the FoD version of Lucina and co., and by sheer chance happened to stumble upon the Outrealm Gate. Remembering that her father had disappeared through it, only to never return, she decided to use the chance to find out what happened. She eventually arrived in the Fates world, in time to see Inigo getting killed during a Birthright loop. She incorrectly assumed this was what had happened. The other kids eventually stumbled upon her, and when they learned she was Inigo/Laswald's daughter, they took her in and explained the situation. Soleil represented the first major change in the loops since the children themselves. What's more, she was the only one of them to be an 'otherworlder', having been born in Ylisse.

Eventually, after much discussion, she took Ophelia and Matoi with her, and through shinnanegans traveled to the world of her world's past. The hope was maybe they could find something to tip things in their favor, by tracing the path of events in the other world. The three of them drifted in and out of the Shepherds, never fully joining them. (This was the primary alternation to the Valm arc planned for my Awakening novelization). They weren't as good at keeping secrets as they would have liked though, as it was eventually figured out that not only was Soleil Robin and Inigo's elder daughter, but Ophelia was Owain's kid, and Matoi Severa's.

Much to the frustration of the future children, the three of them remained tight-lipped about their future (due to the other world stuff). Ophelia eventually let it slip that neither here nor Matoi's other parent were Shepherd children, along with a few other subtle hints to who her mother was. (In this canon, Owain married Elise, while Severa married Tsubaki). Despite their initial desire not to change anything, Soleil eventually influenced Robin's final decision, leading to the latter to decide to sacrifice herself rather then put Grima to sleep.

The three hoped that maybe this would be enough to subtly shift things in a more favorable direction. Soleil promised Inigo that they would meet again soon, and the three returned to the Fates world to rejoin the other children. A theoretical Fates story, with Corrin making the third choice that will result in the good ending, starts after that point.

....I AM SO SORRY. That became a huge wall of text before I could control it.

Oh wow, what a coincidence, the time loop in my idea resets to a point just a short time before the choice.

You might want to hear the full idea I had for this, not like I'm ever going to write it. Warning, its a long thing.

Basically, the kids are still 'hyperbolic chamber' but the catch is they originated from a version of the IK timeline where everyone but them was *slaughtered.* At what point is up to author discretion. Now, the loops had actually been going on for a while, but this was the first timeline where the kids had been produced. They barely escaped the massacre being transported back to the secluded lands by Lilith at the final request of their parents. But since the secluded lands are kinda detached from Fates' spacetime to begin with, this had the side effect of shielding them from the loop when the timeline reset.

The idea is that the timeline switches between the Conquest and Birthright timelines, with the IK timeline occurring very rarely (with the end result the kids experienced instead of the good end). The 'trigger' is Aqua's death. I never fully developed why this was happening, but the idea is that whoever is behind it is trying to find a timeline where Aqua survives. The kids are kinda observers at first, while witnessing the death of their parents multiple times as a consequence of being on either side of the conflict. They eventually get involved, and start interfering. The trick is, while they know how to influence things so Corrin makes the third choice, they don't know how to avoid the Kill 'Em All at the end.

The loops aren't perfect, as the existence of the kids themselves showed. And they had effects beyond just the Fates world. Now, here's where it kinda got specific to my story and headcanons, and crossed the line into 'epic idea that I'm probably never going to write.' The timeline where the Awakening kids came from is one where Inigo married Robin. The catch is, Robin didn't sacrifice herself to destroy Grima, choosing to allow it to be put to sleep. And allowing her to live long enough to at least have their daughter, Soleil. You can probably see where this is starting to go...

Inigo, Severa, and Owain departed for the other world to stop Anankos, urged on by Naga who sensed it could eventually threaten their world. However, as a consequence of the failed IK timeline, not only did the three of them never return home from the perspective of their world, but Anankos was unleashed. With the space-time dragon god threatening to rip their world apart (and thanks to being in another world, was separated from the timeloops and now existed independently of them), Robin decided the Godzilla threshold had been crossed. She attempted a version of the Awakening ritual, which she hoped would give her control over Grima even after its revival. The good news is, Grima was able to drive off Anankos. Bad news, Robin was wrong about the control. So very wrong. The result was the Future of Despair.

In Robin's defense, at that point, their world was fucked either way. All things considered, the Future of Despair was actually the better outcome, and gave the residents something of a fighting chance. Where they had pretty much none under Anankos.

At some point, Soleil was separated from the FoD version of Lucina and co., and by sheer chance happened to stumble upon the Outrealm Gate. Remembering that her father had disappeared through it, only to never return, she decided to use the chance to find out what happened. She eventually arrived in the Fates world, in time to see Inigo getting killed during a Birthright loop. She incorrectly assumed this was what had happened. The other kids eventually stumbled upon her, and when they learned she was Inigo/Laswald's daughter, they took her in and explained the situation. Soleil represented the first major change in the loops since the children themselves. What's more, she was the only one of them to be an 'otherworlder', having been born in Ylisse.

Eventually, after much discussion, she took Ophelia and Matoi with her, and through shinnanegans traveled to the world of her world's past. The hope was maybe they could find something to tip things in their favor, by tracing the path of events in the other world. The three of them drifted in and out of the Shepherds, never fully joining them. (This was the primary alternation to the Valm arc planned for my Awakening novelization). They weren't as good at keeping secrets as they would have liked though, as it was eventually figured out that not only was Soleil Robin and Inigo's elder daughter, but Ophelia was Owain's kid, and Matoi Severa's.

Much to the frustration of the future children, the three of them remained tight-lipped about their future (due to the other world stuff). Ophelia eventually let it slip that neither here nor Matoi's other parent were Shepherd children, along with a few other subtle hints to who her mother was. (In this canon, Owain married Elise, while Severa married Tsubaki). Despite their initial desire not to change anything, Soleil eventually influenced Robin's final decision, leading to the latter to decide to sacrifice herself rather then put Grima to sleep.

The three hoped that maybe this would be enough to subtly shift things in a more favorable direction. Soleil promised Inigo that they would meet again soon, and the three returned to the Fates world to rejoin the other children. A theoretical Fates story, with Corrin making the third choice that will result in the good ending, starts after that point.

....I AM SO SORRY. That became a huge wall of text before I could control it.

That's actually in many ways close to what I was thinking of doing, minus the tie in to Future Past/Future of Despair, mainly because I already have a completed fanfic that explains that DLC (called A Future Disowned, shameless plug). My current plan, as it stands (the upcoming Invisible History DLC may cause me to have to change things up, depending on what they reveal about how Owain, Inigo, and Severa ended up in the timeline) is something like this....

Also, spoilers for my previous fanfic are included. Not that anyone likely cares XP

The storyline will consist of two, maybe 3 stories taking place in the same continuity as my previous story. Basic details for it are as follows:

• Robin is married to Lucina
  • Robin sacrificed himself at the end of Awakening, two years passing before he returned.
  • Morgan is in a relationship with Inigo.
  • A Future Disowned revealed that the Future Past timeline was in fact a failed version of the game's timeline, where the Valm war did not happen many years earlier than it should have (unlike the main Awakening timeline) and this change basically had a butterfly effect that led to Grima winning regardless of the time travelers interference.
  • Morgan is from the Future Past timeline, with the M!Morgan also seen in the DLC being her twin brother (named Marc in the story)
  • The resolution to A Future Disowned had Marc return with them to the main timeline, with it revealed that he possesses the Parallel Falchion that once belonged to his mother (the now deceased Future Lucina of the Future Past Timeline, not to be confused with normal Future Past Lucina).

The first story would pick up about a year following the events of Future Disowned. It would deal with the fracturing of the the barriers separating different timelines and parallel worlds, due to the time travel involved. The foreshadowing for this will be that since the events of Disowned, there have been reports of spacial anomalies. Outrealm travels are reporting strange entities attacking the interdemensial ways. Phantom apparitions of other worlds and timeless have been seen with increasing frequency in the ruins of time. Robin has been looking into these, Lucina helping, as they fear that all the time travel they've done might have something to do with it. (I will be writing 1-2 one-shots ahead of time to establish this).

Eventually time literally begins to break, with "time wraiths" (for a lack of a better term) begin spilling into the war. While the sources of these incursions can be sealed, they keep opening. Soon the Shepherds decide they need to travel into the Outrealms to try and solve the problem.

After many events I have yet to plot out in detail, they discover that while all the time travel stuff has weakened the barriers, something else is responsible for exploiting this and literally tearing them asunder. Whatever is behind this, is has the power the manipulate space and time, and seems to be trying to destroy reality itself (hint hint, its Anankos). The story concludes with a massive rift forming at the Ruins of Time (established in A Future Disowned to be a point where the barriers between worlds are weak) and an epic battle commences. As the battle reaches its conclusion the massive rift becomes unstable (Anakos realising that they are actually winning against his forces, so he is closing the rift to prevent them from entering). Robin manages to reach its epicenter and uses all his magic to try and keep it open, shouting for everyone to go for it. The closest are Severa, Owain, Inigo, Morgan, and Marc. The former three make it, but both Morgan and Marc get intercepted by a rush of enemies. Robin's spell begin to fail, there is a sudden burst of energy, and afterward Morgan and Marc have vanished.

Lucina tries to reach Robin, but realizing that the others aren't going to make it in time, Robin uses the last bit of his strength to bring all the energy into his location, to hopefully protect the others.This happens just as Lucina is about to reach him, and there is a huge explosion as the rift collapses.

The story ends with the aftermath, the Shepherds surveying the crater left behind with no sign of Robin, Lucina, or the others who went in. Naga informs them that if they are still alive, they are beyond her sight.

The second story picks up with the Fates cast at the end of the Nohr route. The first chapter will establish the changes I have made to the Nohr storyline, as here there were a lot more deaths among the Hoshido characters and other changes to fix the stupidity that is the canon Nohr route. A flashback to the final battle will reveal that Azura's death played out like it did in the Hoshido route, this event along with all the other horrible things done in the name of revolutionizing Nohr leaving Corrin (who was married to Azura) in a spiraling, self-destructive depression. Corrin's characterization early on will be different from the game, where after all the deaths, the betrayals, the instances of his naivety leading to others dying, Azura's death was basically the final straw that broke the camel's back. It effectively broke his naivety and idealism, leaving him extremely bitter and angry when the story picks up. Corrin will be isolating himself from his friends and family, kinda acting like a bit of a **** all things considered. His kids, his adopted siblings, and close friends all try to talk to him, but he just brushes them off

Unbeknownst to the characters of the Nohr faction, three of their members are not who they say they are. Luna, Lazward, and Odin are in fact Severa, Inigo, and Owain, having arrived in this world several years previously and taken new identities while they attempt to figure out and stop whatever this enemy that was threatening the Awakening world was and hopefully help stop it

Owain and Severa (who were already established to be a couple) have a future daughter named Ophelia now. Inigo is currently unpaired with no second gen child (yet)

Similar anomalies begin happening within the Fates world, during which they have first real encounter with Hydra's forces, things won't go well due to Corrin flat out failing to act as a leader, instead throwing himself into combat with reckless abandon, as basically he just doesn't care if he lives or dies at this point. The only reason things don't go completely bad is because the other characters still do fight as a team well enough, and eventually Marx/Xander takes control and salvages the situation, chewing Corrin out afterwards

Meanwhile it is revealed that Robin and Lucina both ended up not in the main Fates world, but in the Invisible Kingdom. Lucina has been there a week, having to fend against shades and other monsters as she searches for Robin. Robin arrived only with the start of the story, and initially will be in a very confused and temporarily amnesiac state, due to the backlash of his spell keeping the rift open having nearly killed him.

After the first battle Corrin will head to the lake where he first met Azura. However, when there he will suddenly hear her singing in the distance. Chasing after the noise, he will keep catching glimpses of her just out of sight, which eventually lead him to the Infinite Chasm. Seeing a glow at the bottom, he jumps in, ending up in that world. This is where the two casts officially meet, and following the obligatory "misunderstanding fight", Robin and Lucina return with Corrin to his keep. There they are reunited with Owain, Severa, and Inigo, which leads to the three of them having a lot of explaining to do to the Fates cast.

The story will play out some similar beats to the IK storyline, learning about the Invisible Kingdom and Anankos's plans. During this time they will reunite with Morgan and Marc, who had also ended up in the Fates world, and later recruit Soleil, who in this case will be Inigo's and Morgan's daughter from the future (and yes, regardless of the explanation I go with for the other kids, she will be from the future, because I can't resist the idea of making Morgan's existence even more of a paradoxical mess, which Robin will lampshade)

In the end they will confront Anankos, but without the Fire Emblem it becomes apparent that they can't win. It is revealed that Yato is in fact the Fates Fire Emblem, but to unlock its full power they would need the royals of both the Hoshido and the Nohr, which is now impossible. However, before Anankos can annihilate the Fates cast, aid comes in the form of the remaining Awakening cast, who are brought to the world by Naga (locating them due to the bonds between them and Robin, power and friendship, yada yada yada). With their combined efforts they get close to being able to defeat Anankos for good, but the mad dragon is just too strong, and he begins to unmake reality. In a last ditch effort they attempt something unprecedented: they perform the Awakening on Yato, not only transforming it into the Fates' Fire Emblem, but infusing it with the power of the Awakening Fire Emblem. With it Corrin is able to defeat Anankos, but not before irreparable destruction was causes to the Fates world.

The heroes of both games are left in the shattered remains of the Fates world. They have saved every other world, but at a great cost. It is here that Naga informs them that with the power of the combined Fire Emblem, there is a chance they could turn back time, revert the world to before all of this happened. It would be a risk, no one would remember what happened, but perhaps there is hope a different choice might be made, one that will allow the heroes of that world to stop Anankos before all of this could occur. If they decide to do this, the Awakening cast must return to their own world. They'll remember what happened, but won't be able to help any longer. Only Severa, Owain, and Inigo will remain for now, as they arrived before the choice was made. Oh, except for one addtion, Morgan, whose daughter from the future's existence reveals she still has a part to play in this. Corrin as one last conversation with Robin and Lucina, the later of who assure Corrin that they believe that he will be able to make a different choice. Oh, and that he shouldn't worry about what will happen between him and Azura... love has a way of crossing the distance of time, and maybe this time they will be able to find happiness and escape the tragic fate that befell them before. As Lucina puts it, she and Robin are more than proof of that. The story will end with the Awakening cast returning to their world. While worried about their friends and Morgan, they have faith that things will work out. The final scene will be of Chaper 5 of Fire Emblem Fates, as Corrin is forced to make a horrible choice between two families... but he seems to recall a voice out of a long faded memory, urging him to find another way, to do the right thing, even when you must do what seems impossible to accomplish it. And with that so begins the 3ed route of Fire Emlem Fates.

After this I may end up writting a third story, which would be a novelization of the IK route, with the additional of Morgan being a part of the storyline.

Also, why aren't you going to write that idea? Its really interesting.

Also, why aren't you going to write that idea? Its really interesting.

If I had a dime for every idea I've had like that, I'd be rich. I'm great at building backstory and worldbuilding. Less so on writing the actual story. That's the kicker. All of that was intended to be backstory, a sort of meta plot that ties together Awakening and Fates. To write the idea would require finishing my Awakening novelization AND writing a Fates novelization (non-crossover, of course). The former is looking less and less likely as it becomes increasingly obvious that I suck at writing around the game script. It just keeps falling flat, even though it has good ideas. I'm instead re-focusing effort on the more promising Pokemon crossover/kinda novelization.

I kinda have a problem with finishing fics, if you couldn't tell.

I have literally everything after the 'decision' and right up to the end of the crossover outlined and ready to be written the second I get ahold of a translated IK script. Meanwhile, I'm struggling to get the plot before the descion to work, despite having a translation of the Chapters up to 6. I'm seriously considering just doing a 'broad strokes' kind of deal, and start the story at the descion. Which runs into the problem of lacking a translated IK script, which I need for at least up until Chapter 16. Gah...

I'm mostly working on worldbuilding and refining the outline right now.

Back on topic, re-watching some of the translated Fates videos, I noticed a contradiction early on. Azura says that everyone in Hoshido is 'nice' or along those lines, yet later we learn that people talked about her behind her back, and even wanted to send assassins after her. That's...hardly nice. Heck, her own adoptive brother, Takumi, is openly suspicious of her. Why couldn't we see more of that before the 'choice'? ...I strongly suspect this has been brought up before. I blame sleep deprivation. (Mind you, addressing the story's Hoshido bias is VERY low priority for me in my own story.)

Also, and maybe this was just me, but I don't feel like they did the best job in establishing a sense of attachment to the Hoshido siblings before the choice. Except for Ryoma. And that's because Ryoma is just that awesome. (He's not my favorite, but that's because I don't play favorites to begin with).

Oh yeah, the other thing that's been bugging me, and is for me a huge sign that the Invisible Kingdom is meant to be the 'true' path: The Fire Emblem. You know, the titular object that typically plays a pivitol role in the story? (To my knowledge) its barely a thing in Conquest and Birthright, not counting its 'incomplete' form, the Yagotami. But in IK, it comes out full force, being the only route where its complete. I'm losing my train of thought here, but the IK route being the one where the Fire Emblem actually comes into play in a meaningful way probably lends more weight to it being the 'Golden Ending.'

I've actually changed the Fire Emblem in my story. Its a different object, but now has much more plot impact and significance. Someone else looking to fix Fates story might do well addressing just how little the titular Fire Emblem has on the plot in relation to past games. I mean, its sole purpose here is to serve as a last minute superpower for the protagonist. The Fire Emblem in past games was typically more a 'neutral' object, just as often wielded for evil to help kick off the plot as it was by good to help resolve it. Kinda a duel-nature thing. For example, the Emblem in Path of Radiance, Lehran's Medallion, drove most people completely insane simply by touching it and Ashnard wanted war to free the 'dark god' from the medallion. In Radiant Dawn was revealed to housing the relatively benevolent goddess, Yune, who helps the protagonists.

In Binding Blade, it was both used to unseal the Demon Dragon, AND the Sword of Seals. In Sacred Stones, the Fire Emblem contained the soul of a Demon King. Heck, in Awakening the Plegian War kicks off because Gangrel desired the Fire Emblem (among other things), and toward the end we find out that not only can it be used to summon Naga, the Big Good of the setting, it can ALSO be used to summon Grima, the Big Bad. Compare these to Fates' Fire Emblem.

I'll end that rant here. I hope I got the point across.

If I had a dime for every idea I've had like that, I'd be rich. I'm great at building backstory and worldbuilding. Less so on writing the actual story. That's the kicker. All of that was intended to be backstory, a sort of meta plot that ties together Awakening and Fates. To write the idea would require finishing my Awakening novelization AND writing a Fates novelization (non-crossover, of course). The former is looking less and less likely as it becomes increasingly obvious that I suck at writing around the game script. It just keeps falling flat, even though it has good ideas. I'm instead re-focusing effort on the more promising Pokemon crossover/kinda novelization.

Heh, makes sense. I have a bit of a different problem where I vastly underestimate how much time a story will take, as well as coming up with needlessly complicated plots (as you can see with my above post)

In fact, I am hesitant to even commit to this story yet since i can't decide if my outlined idea is actually terrible or not. (So if people think what I posted in my previous post is actually a really stupid idea, please tell me.)

Edited by TheWerdna