QOTD IV!! 884: Who should be next QOTD master and why, or should it die?

It mostly depends on what you're lying about. I wouldn't appreciate any white lies directed at me, it'll always be much more constructive to just tell the truth.

I don't feel good doing it, but sometimes I've done it out of desperation. Nine times out of ten, when I actually thought about what transpired, I realise the truth would have been just as okay, if not better.

So yeah, I don't like it, and I don't think it's necessarily helpful. If you're thinkin' about lyin' it don't matter if it's black or white.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

every word you use in a sentence carries a thousand other associated words with it. constructing a sentence isn't about using the words that say what you want to say - it's about using the words that convey your idea correctly

I lie almost constantly, by using technicalities and obfuscations that deliver to the other person's head exactly the thoughts I want them to be having

It really depends on the circumstances. I know that's kind of a lame answer but yeah, not sure how I can make a better one.

for me, truth or deflection works best.

ex. "these jeans make my butt look big" -- yeah, they do ;) or,

"i'm ugly" -- i usually tell a joke

cause there's really no way to respond to the latter properly.

in other situations, if i feel like i'm gonna hurt a person, i'll tell a white lie instead. this typically doesn't happen, though, and i typically tell the truf

every word you use in a sentence carries a thousand other associated words with it. constructing a sentence isn't about using the words that say what you want to say - it's about using the words that convey your idea correctly

I lie almost constantly, by using technicalities and obfuscations that deliver to the other person's head exactly the thoughts I want them to be having

If you were trying to convey confusion to me, it worked :c

It really depends on the circumstances.

this

any lie can lead someone to draw conclusions based on a falsehood

those conclusions can get someone to move forward, or set them back

for instance: when you tell a novice he's doing great, he might get pumped to hone his abilities and eventually truly become so... or mistakingly believe he already knows what he needs of that craft

It. Really. Depends. Will the lie/truth leave someone better off?

I propose the following as a question (one day): What's the harm of a slightly offensive truth?

I think I'll have to agree with Nightmare here on this:

It mostly depends on what you're lying about. I wouldn't appreciate any white lies directed at me, it'll always be much more constructive to just tell the truth.

I don't feel good doing it, but sometimes I've done it out of desperation. Nine times out of ten, when I actually thought about what transpired, I realise the truth would have been just as okay, if not better.

So yeah, I don't like it, and I don't think it's necessarily helpful. If you're thinkin' about lyin' it don't matter if it's black or white.

Though I do also agree it does depend on circumstances too, but yeah, I'd prefer the truth myself. Not that I haven't lied before or anything, sure I have, I'm human after all.

when i was a kid i told them a lot

i figured i was going to be punished anyway, at least lying would give me a chance to stall the consequences

Edited by I.M. Gei

this is a really terrible outlook

Maybe in regards to the question, perhaps, now that I look at it again. But I'd like to believe there is some merit to it, even if it just seems outright selfish. Just as a thought, really.

Otherwise, I'm with everyone else

on a whim i will lie to people i dont care about, but generally i prefer to be direct. otherwise, its important to be honest with people you have positive relationships with. lying, even white lies, show you dont respect someone

it depends so much on con- yeah what Refa said

That being said I prooooobably lie more than I really need to, although I've been moving more towards "don't answer the question" rather than lying for a while.

augustine is that you

edit: asdf I hate pages

It would make Jesus very, very sad!

Edited by Euklyd

If you were trying to convey confusion to me, it worked :c

yeah well obviously it relies on the other party being familiar with all the words I'm using and their relationships with one another. which is why I usually type in lower case with very short sentences, so my point is more universally accessible

haha nerd

i won't go any further than obfuscation in most circumstances; if directly questioned, i answer directly by nature. it's a lot of why i'm a bad liar. ;(

QUESTION SEVEN HUNDRED AND NINE: Have you ever had a magazine subscription?