Smash 4, Character Discussion Thread. #21 Metaknight

Jedi

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been there, done that, do not ever want to again.

That says more about you than it does melee.

I probably should've seen this fight coming, but at the risk of sounding like a mod, it's very off topic, so can we please stick to talking about sm4sh fox? Unfortunately though I know little about him so I guess I'll sit this round out.

I'm not the best competitively, but I know I have a hard time fighting Fox when using Peach or Zelda. He's quite tricky!

And I hate to be off topic, but when/if Peach is ever chosen to be the main discussion, I suggest her quote be "Peachy!"

tRvN1ko.png: "Peachy!"

While it's not necessarily competitively relevant, I think Fox might be one of the BEST characters to use online in For Glory. The difficulty of teching with lag makes Fox's run-up upsmashes following poor landing a thing of nightmares. Or, you know, any of a handful of other punishes. His speed and power just make him terrifying with lag. I actually kind of enjoy fighting against him online, since he's one of the few characters who gets more aggressive with lag, rather than more campy.

As for offline play, I see him sitting at least the top 10 in the game. He' fast, powerful, gets good rewards off grabs, has a workable neutral, doesn't struggle for KO's, and basically is only held back by his fast-faller status and his somewhat exploitable recovery.

Tamar, please lets not get on the anti-Melee train, thats a deep road and I'd rather not get on it and have to explain why Fox isn't unstoppable etc, (Brawl Metaknight is much more broken than Melee Fox will ever be just saying).

I'm not the best competitively, but I know I have a hard time fighting Fox when using Peach or Zelda. He's quite tricky!

And I hate to be off topic, but when/if Peach is ever chosen to be the main discussion, I suggest her quote be "Peachy!"

tRvN1ko.png: "Peachy!"

Noted! By the trends, she should probably win in one of the upcoming discussions soon.

As for offline play, I see him sitting at least the top 10 in the game. He' fast, powerful, gets good rewards off grabs, has a workable neutral, doesn't struggle for KO's, and basically is only held back by his fast-faller status and his somewhat exploitable recovery.

I'd agree with this and he still has a nice skill curve, as I should mention, even if someone doesn't plan on maining Fox, using him to grasp some advanced fundamentals can be pretty beneficial to a main of any other character I think.

Tamar, please lets not get on the anti-Melee train, thats a deep road and I'd rather not get on it and have to explain why Fox isn't unstoppable etc, (Brawl Metaknight is much more broken than Melee Fox will ever be just saying).

It was never my intent to turn this into an anti-Melee discussion, though you are right in saying that if I did, I could go on forever with regards to why Pichu's condescending defense was a terrible idea. I mentioned Melee Fox all of once (as a point of comparison, to note that Smash 4 Fox is, of course, not that bad). Brawl Meta Knight being worse is moot, as my point still stands that no character should have the ridiculous properties of Melee Fox anyway.

god forbid we have good characters that, while hard to play, are tremendously fun when you do learn to play them

fox is cool

fast, good frame data, can actually kill, flashy combos (including out of throw), pretty good (although exploitable) recovery

his fast falling speed allows him to combo better, but it also lets him be comboed more easily (although there are some combos that he falls too fast for, like roy's fthrow -> nair)

his blaster is ok at best; it's pretty unsafe and you don't get a lot of reward from it

utilt is amazing in general, but also gets a looooot of milage out of perfect pivots; I feel like fox is another one of those characters that look like they've got deceptively simple combos but actually take a lot more than they appear to to be optimal (not just because of pp utilt, ftr)

also shinespikes fucking suck itg but are amazing (read: hilarious) if you do get them

90% of the time a nair would be better, but if nairing would cause you to SD then a shinespike would be more ideal

also shine can still shinestall, so.

Fox and Link mains both feel the pain of losing those jab infinites :/

we feel the pain of losing the jab cancels themselves more than the infinites :/

It was never my intent to turn this into an anti-Melee discussion, though you are right in saying that if I did, I could go on forever with regards to why Pichu's condescending defense was a terrible idea. I mentioned Melee Fox all of once (as a point of comparison, to note that Smash 4 Fox is, of course, not that bad). Brawl Meta Knight being worse is moot, as my point still stands that no character should have the ridiculous properties of Melee Fox anyway.

we've got a melee pichu defending melee fox

clearly the tiers are super well balanced :^)

(really tho melee fox isn't exactly as busted as you make him out to be)

e: elaborating -

this is a game where sheik can chaingrab half the cast and techchase the other half on reaction (slight exaggeration), falco has a shine that combos into a fuckin powerful spike, marth has disjoint unlike anyone else and also has combos into spike, peach can recover from anywhere and pull turnips out of her ass that let her gimp like everyone, etc etc

also combos are an actual thing in that game

Edited by Euklyd

It is humanly impossible to input commands at the speeds required to play an optimal Melee Fox. Please understand if I find that to be fundamentally problematic (and quite frankly the antithesis of fun).

Oh, and thanks for reminding me, but I also neglected to mention earlier that no character should have jab infinites, or any variety of infinite for that matter, and I sorely hope that Dedede and Luma have theirs removed in the upcoming patch.

Edited by Tamarsamar

Dedede is bad enough, removing his one -hard to pull off- jabinfinite isn't exactly what I'd consider a priority for patch fixes

What is tech chasing?

Dedede is bad enough, removing his one -hard to pull off- jabinfinite isn't exactly what I'd consider a priority for patch fixes

What is tech chasing?

Tech chasing is pretty much what it says. A tech (or breaking your fall, as it is officially known) is when you get hit and press the shield button a few frames before colliding with a surface (floor, wall, or ceiling) to cancel your momentum. When you tech on the ground, you can either tech in place, or do a rolling tech in either direction. Tech chasing is the act of pursuing your opponent's tech to continue hitting them.

It is humanly impossible to input commands at the speeds required to play an optimal Melee Fox. Please understand if I find that to be fundamentally problematic (and quite frankly the antithesis of fun).

Oh, and thanks for reminding me, but I also neglected to mention earlier that no character should have jab infinites, or any variety of infinite for that matter, and I sorely hope that Dedede and Luma have theirs removed in the upcoming patch.

oh I thought you were talking about melee fox's frame data + moves + etc., rather than the ridiculous tech skill needed

yeah melee fox is kind of insane in that way

also yes I agree, jab infinites are dumb and should be patched out; they should have done it in a way that didn't remove the jab cancel itself, though, imo.

What is tech chasing?

http://www.meleeitonme.com/wp-content/uploads/DeliciousIdioticAbyssiniangroundhornbill.webm?_=2 Edited by Euklyd

who's got a better matchup spread than fox?

pika/sheik/zss?

I'd say Rosalina has a better spread personally but yeah.

Also is it time to move on or do we have more to say about Starfax

rosa loses out to like, all the best top tiers

random but like 12 hours ago I heard an argument for her losing to link as well

I don't exactly think I buy it completely

Edited by Euklyd

rosa loses out to like, all the best top tiers

random but like 12 hours ago I heard an argument for her losing to link as well

I don't exactly think I buy it completely

I personally find Fox and Mario her worst hightier MU's.

Sheik

(since it's discussion, people can talk about how to beat everyone's favorite ninja as well as other things)

Edited by PichuMaster3000