Smash 4, Character Discussion Thread. #21 Metaknight

Jedi

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok gonna go with the Dorf

KuVAA8y.jpg

OJSMBuj.png: "Pathetic little fool! Do you realize who you're dealing with? I am Ganondorf and soon I will rule the world!"

Origin: The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Year: 1998
Developer: Nintendo
Framedata

RSATD: Despite starting as a stronger and heavier C.Falcon type fighter, Ganondorf has seen changes that mirror somewhat of his style vs Link was in Twilight Princess, also Sakurai himself mains Ganondorf.

Ganondorf is an interesting beast. He punishes so hard, like if you are facing a good Ganondorf (Which I have at various Blackwolf competitions where we have THREE really good ones) you never want to ever leave yourself open, Ganondorf has some surprisingly quick and effective ways to punish you, he has tons of KO potential, a pretty meh grab, he wishes it had more reach, very powerful moves overall, never try to trade an attack, you will usually take more damage, his recovery is pretty lackluster though. As is his frame data as a whole.

Edited by Jedi

Dorf for Dorf tier

I know jack shit about him and i can never land his dair spikes but he's fun to play as to just muscle around

What's the deal with Warlock Punch and being able to get knocked out of it insanely easily?

Actually, Ganondorf originated in the original Zelda as Ganon, didn't he? He was also mentioned in ALttP. It says there that Ganon was once a thief named Ganondorf...

Ganondorf himself, wasn't known as such or seen as such until Ocarina of Time, Smash itself says its his origin, so I'm gonna go consistent with that, thanks for the tidbit though, I had forgotten that.

What's the deal with Warlock Punch and being able to get knocked out of it insanely easily?

It has armor... if you stay on the ground... and don't move...

Ganon as a character relies heavily on punishes and tech chases, but he has more than enough power to make that work for him. his up tilt and reversed warlock both break shields, and the latter kills as early as 0%, not really useful information as you'll never connect with them, but cool nonetheless. His best spacing tool is probably his nair, but he's sorely lacking in approach options as his grab and dash attack both wish for more range. In general all his aerials are good for something, and his dair is only rivaled by megaman in terms of satisfactory spiking.

His defensive prowess leaves something to be desired, though, as a solid nair or fair from just about anyone will do him in offstage. On the bright side though, you can ganoncide a reckless opponent with side b for maximum cheese.

Overall I give the king of disrespect a 14/10

re: Ganondorf in Smash, and influences

Ganon is a character with a shitty neutral game and poor recovery. He relies on reads for hard punishes, but he's not great at creating opportunities where he can get a good punish in the neutral.

Not really anything to write home about, except for the dank memes.

I don't main Ganondorf, but my brother does. Ganondorf's heavy weight makes him difficult to launch, but if you can land a powerful move, you can KO the opponent very early. And if you can't, you'll eventually reach a point where almost his entire moveset can KO. The trade-off is that his mobility is horrendous, his horizontal recovery is bad, and his frame data is subpar in general (if it weren't, he'd be insane). His grab range sucks, but Flame Choke is a good alternative that deals damage while setting up a followup. A good Ganondorf player needs to play like a librarian (read like there's no tomorrow).

Ganondorf is all about punishing your opponent's mistakes. His moves do large amounts of damage and knockback in exchange for the majority of them being rather slow and easily punishable, except for like, jab and maybe nair I guess. Speaking of jab, it's probably his best out-of-shield option due to its (by Ganondorf's standards) speed. Ganon has a command grab in the form of Flame Choke that's good for tech chasing. Speaking of grabs, Ganondorf has a terrible grab. Like, it has next to no range whatsoever. You could be shielding someone's attack and not be able to shield-grab them afterwords due to how short Ganondorf's grab range is. It's so bad.

Overall, Ganondorf's biggest problem is his dearth of approach options. Unless your opponents makes a mistake, Ganondorf has a hard time getting in to start dealing damage due to being slow, having no projectile, and his moves having low range. Customs do help him with this a bit though to be fair, especially Wizard's Dropkick.

He'll probably never be that great at high levels of play, but as a Ganondorf secondary, I will say that he is very fun to play as, and getting off those punishes from reading your opponent are very satisfying.

Minor nitpick, but WDK is not an approach.

It's good for followups and recovery, and for punishing some projectiles, but it's not a safe approach.

Ganondorf is so much fun, and absurdly satisfying to play, but he is just so terrible in some matchups. Not only does he lack good attacks to approach with, but his aerial and ground mobility are awful as well. If you face a character with a good projectile, you're going to spend half the match in shield just because you have literally no other option. It's so frustrating to spend the entire game inching toward your opponent hoping that you might eventually get to land one good hit before your opponent dances away.

To be fair, I don't use customs very often, so I don't know much about them.

Even if it's not an approach, I still think that Wizard's Dropkick > Wizard's Foot in most cases regardless.

It's a good custom, but I find Wizard's Foot spikes to be hilarious, I've seen it at one of my Spokane tournaments, 0 to death on a Falcon haha.

wizard's foot is good for like, punishing people thoughtlessly trying to juggle ganon

but against opponents who know what not to do it's not nearly as useful as WDK

Ganondorf's up smash has practically no endlag. It's basically unpunishable.

One time my brother tried to spike me with dair, but it was juuust onstage. But the knockback was so great that I flew into the upper blastline and died anyway.

Jump offstage, dair, midair jump, up special.

I was responding to comet

you can probably WK spike falcon after a wall jump tech after being hit by falcon dive

might you be able to just dair without suiciding?

You still get massive style points. Also I'll probably be playing vs some Ganondorfs here soon at BW.

I'm thinking I have the edge provided I don't fub up, but it is Vermanubis who makes Ganondorf look like a king.