Skinship is out, says kotaku (new info on page 71)

LiquidDefiance

The problem I always had with the skinship is that you're trying to have a serious story(Fire Emblem makes an attempt), and then suddenly, pet random woman/man in your army!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem I always had with the skinship is that you're trying to have a serious story(Fire Emblem makes an attempt), and then suddenly, pet random woman/man in your army!

I understand that there would be tender moments between people during war (which, in japan, the face touching thing works among friends) but... the fact that it reminds me of pokemon amie DOES kind of ruin this as an argument.

Mah dear boy, did you see anything of this sub-forum pre-release?

I did, and what I saw will forever haunt my dreams.

Look at your avatar, and tell me that with a straight face.

Can we all calm down? Discussion is all well and good, but there's no need to-

:D

Sorry, couldn't do it...

Anyway, if ever there was a game that should've had two different versions, it should've been this one. Do you know what my original plan was before they announced the versions would be different? Save on chapter 5, pick Nohr and complete chapter 6. Save that in a different file, then go back to chapter 5, pick Hoshido and play through both stories at the same time.

That plan completely undermines the whole point of the blood vs. loyalty aspect of the story. By splitting the game into two routes, you were making a conscious decision for which of those two you valued more, which characters you preferred and which side of the war you supported. The decision of which route you picked had meaning other than what legendary you think looks cooler. If anything, it's the third route that ruins things by making the other two essentially irrelevant.

Things can't ALWAYS be serious. I think it's a nice break and kind of cute, but I understand where you're coming from.

Oh well, if it is in, at least you can avoid it. I read that skinship doesn't do as much as pairing up units in battle, so I believe it was supposed to be optional from the start.

Wasn't calling you a fanboy, was calling you out for telling anyone with a dissenting opinion to get out.

Well he was telling them to get out, because someone was commenting on something within the fates board, saying they weren't getting fates, I think.

Things can't ALWAYS be serious. I think it's a nice break and kind of cute, but I understand where you're coming from.

Oh well, if it is in, at least you can avoid it. I read that skinship doesn't do as much as pairing up units in battle, so I believe it was supposed to be optional from the start.

I concede to your point.

Well he was telling them to get out, because someone was commenting on something within the fates board, saying they weren't getting fates, I think.

I ain't getting fates, but that doesn't mean that I can't experience it. I never asked for things for free, I even once said, "I'd pay full price for all three paths on one cart." That was screwed up, so I ain't getting it. I don't care about anything else in the special edition. >.>

This is kind of a weak argument against the feature, considering Fire Emblem has always had this weird stuff in the middle of its serious stories. I mean, in the GBA games, you could be in the middle of a blood-shedding battle and two characters would suddenly stop everything to talk about berry-picking.

If anything, it makes more sense in Fates, since at least it happens BETWEEN battles.

I understand the way the actual mechanic works is odd and uncomfortable, but what's odd to be is seeing that people aren't generally okay with being affectionate towards their friends. I mean, sorta? I assume you wouldn't just call anyone up for skinship all willy-nilly; you the player would actually have some affinity for them. But anyway, in my town's queer community, we're all.. pretty affectionate towards each other. I get that that's already out of the norm and might give some people bad vibes, but I got so used to being surrounded by love and affection that its jarring seeing people don't normally enjoy that without actual romantic love being present. And yeah, I get why. I understand. Its just different to me. Friend PDA is great, man.

This is kind of a weak argument against the feature, considering Fire Emblem has always had this weird stuff in the middle of its serious stories. I mean, in the GBA games, you could be in the middle of a blood-shedding battle and two characters would suddenly stop everything to talk about berry-picking.

If anything, it makes more sense in Fates, since at least it happens BETWEEN battles.

To be fair, battles could take over the course of days, instead of minutes like you see. So that's plausible.

He does have a point.

In Sacred Stone, Ephraim and Tana can both have just finished killing someone, and Tana will turn to Ephraim and be angry because he never notices her.

I understand the way the actual mechanic works is odd and uncomfortable, but what's odd to be is seeing that people aren't generally okay with being affectionate towards their friends. I mean, sorta? I assume you wouldn't just call anyone up for skinship all willy-nilly; you the player would actually have some affinity for them. But anyway, in my town's queer community, we're all.. pretty affectionate towards each other. I get that that's already out of the norm and might give some people bad vibes, but I got so used to being surrounded by love and affection that its jarring seeing people don't normally enjoy that without actual romantic love being present. And yeah, I get why. I understand. Its just different to me. Friend PDA is great, man.

Pretty much this is exactly my thoughts. I really enjoy being touched my other people. Maybe not everyone, but I could count quite a few people who if they skinshipped with me, I wouldn't object.

It seems like a cultural thing. I don't find it nearly as uncomfortable as other people. I think that's the sticking point.

I did, and what I saw will forever haunt my dreams.

Can we all calm down? Discussion is all well and good, but there's no need to-

:D

Sorry, couldn't do it...

Anyway, if ever there was a game that should've had two different versions, it should've been this one. Do you know what my original plan was before they announced the versions would be different? Save on chapter 5, pick Nohr and complete chapter 6. Save that in a different file, then go back to chapter 5, pick Hoshido and play through both stories at the same time.

That plan completely undermines the whole point of the blood vs. loyalty aspect of the story. By splitting the game into two routes, you were making a conscious decision for which of those two you valued more, which characters you preferred and which side of the war you supported. The decision of which route you picked had meaning other than what legendary you think looks cooler. If anything, it's the third route that ruins things by making the other two essentially irrelevant.

Your apparent lack of self-control or ability to commit to a story shouldn't dictate gameplay systems and design choices for everyone.

But I wasn't. I was genuinely asking why he would be on this board if he doesn't even want to play the game. I wasn't telling him to leave.

The answer to that question, and your intent behind it, is obvious.

Edited by ckc22

To be fair, battles could take over the course of days, instead of minutes like you see. So that's plausible.

It's not like these are army vs army battles though. In the gba games they can take place in the middle of a small port city for heaven's sake. In awakening the first one takes place entirely within a marketplace.

Battles take longer than an hour, and one definitely does not fight for the entirety of one. There are ample opportunities for, say, Forde from Sacred Stones to be taking a nap. Running into a comrade oversleeping during a cool down period between engagements is far more realistic than calling in an enemy general you just recruited into your room so you can rub their face.

All that's besides the point of the thread, though. Regardless of one's stance on the skinship feature, this mess has blown so far out of proportion that people will be unhappy no matter how it turns out. All we can do now is wait for confirmation.

It seems like a cultural thing. I don't find it nearly as uncomfortable as other people. I think that's the sticking point.

Haha well that's the kicker then. I'm actually Japanese, and I was raised with Japanese customs from my mother. But my dad's American so we can't live there since he can't speak Japanese. That's why I bought the NA 3DS as I thought I could trust localization to not do these kinds of things, but I guess I regret that now.

You can imagine this being 2x the hell it is for me because I don't even require an English patch, but it is what it is and I don't expect Nintendo to pander to a demographic that probably only consists of me and like two other people under the same circumstances.

Back on track, I touch my friends faces all the time, I guess they never minded because they are ALSO all conveniently Asian. I've never noticed until now but I never felt comfortable doing this to my friends who didn't share my culture. But still....ahh. I really don't see what's wrong with it...

Your apparent lack of self-control or ability to commit to a story shouldn't dictate gameplay systems and design choices for everyone.

The answer to that question, and your intent behind it, is obvious.

OK, first of all I wasn't talking to you, and secondly we PMed and sorted things out. I don't see why you needed to cause conflict and insert yourself in something that doesn't even concern you.

All that's besides the point of the thread, though. Regardless of one's stance on the skinship feature, this mess has blown so far out of proportion that people will be unhappy no matter how it turns out. All we can do now is wait for confirmation.

At least we are talking about skinship in general, which is partly the point of the thread.

Battles take longer than an hour, and one definitely does not fight for the entirety of one. There are ample opportunities for, say, Forde from Sacred Stones to be taking a nap. Running into a comrade oversleeping during a cool down period between engagements is far more realistic than calling in an enemy general you just recruited into your room so you can rub their face.

[spoiler=major spoilers for the story]Is that really the case though?

No where in Fates does someone join you very reluctantly in Birthright or Conquest. There aren't any enemy generals at all. The closest would be if you could get Scarlet or Reina in Conquest, but you can't. Anyone who Corrin calls in is probably fine with it because they

A. Work for brother or sister

B. ARE brother or sister

C. Are relatively unrelated but still have a tenuous connection like say Hayato.

It isn't that weird.

Edited by Ms. Andrews

OK, first of all I wasn't talking to you, and secondly we PMed and sorted things out. I don't see why you needed to cause conflict and insert yourself in something that doesn't even concern you.

You weren't talking to me when you quoted my post? Makeup your mind.

No where in Fates does someone join you very reluctantly in Birthright or Conquest. There aren't any enemy generals at all. The closest would be if you could get Scarlet or Reina in Conquest, but you can't. Anyone who Corrin calls in is probably fine with it because they

B. ARE brother or sister

C. Are relatively unrelated but still have a tenuous connection like say Hayato.

It isn't that weird.

spoiler fucked up pls fix

alright never mind it's good now

Edited by maybe

B. ARE brother or sister

It isn't that weird.

Might want to fix that spoiler, but it is a good point.

You weren't talking to me when you quoted my post? Makeup your mind.

No, he wasn't talking to you in his initial post.

EDIT: Ninja'd in both pointing out the spoiler fail, and in getting it fixed.

Edited by AsherCrane