The Next Remake

Next Fire Emblem Remake  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Which game should get a remake next?

• Gaiden
    • Genealogy of the Holy War
    • Tharacia 776
    • Binding Blade/Sword of Seals
    • Rekka no Ken/Blazing Sword
    • Sacred Stones
    • Path of Radiance
    • Radiant Dawn

Five range bows, magic cast from hit points, defensive equipment and town exploration are just three of the ideas in Gaiden that haven't been explored yet (okay well I guess stuff like Iote's shield have shown up regularly but not something where you can choose between a weapon or a shield like in Gaiden). And it's not like its other ideas, villagers, three tier promotions, an army split, have been utilized to their full extent in the series (that is to say other games have used them but they're not considered staples in the series). When you compare all that to Holy War whose unique gameplay ideas are castles, rings and doubling as a skill, I think Gaiden has by far the most untapped gameplay ideas to explore (followed closely by Thracia who did have many of its features become staples of the series yet still has many more that have never even been attempted since).

Oh I know those haven't been reused, just saying I don't particularly care about those ideas(in the context of Fire Emblem). Although I do think there could be potential in villages and magic based on a meter(maybe not HP), I wouldn't be upset if they weren't explored. In fact having an MP-kinda bar for attack skills like Luna/Sol/etc and making them something you activate instead of %chance is an idea I've had and maybe magic could- okay I'm getting off topic.

Edited by DavidSW

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted FE4 because it's the one I most want to play through. I was playing it but I'm not a fan of emulators, I would enjoy it a lot more being able to play it properly. And I would like some fine tuning of the trading/gold systems. Not sure if it's the right time, I definitely don't think an avatar and a bunch of fanservice would fit. I think Elibe is better suited to the current style of the series tbh. But I would be fine with any remake as long as it's handled with care. I wonder if it's too late for one to be released this generation... Maybe after FE15.

Remaking Gaiden seems like the most worthwhile. It's a really bizarre game that could really benefit from getting some modern touch-ups mechanically, and then make for a really interesting experience for people.

Genealogy is also high on that list, but I feel like the US might not get that remake just because of its very... high barrier of entry compared to Awakening and Fates.

I don't really think anything from the GBA or newer needs to be remade any time soon, though regardless I think the Elibe saga would need a fair bit more of a remake to fix their issues.

So apparently there's still some 3DS games in development

Even though I didn't vote for it, I think it's the perfect time for a Gaiden remake. They have the Awakening/Fates engine ready to go and FE hype seems to be going strong. Gaiden's been getting nods with Valm and Dread Fighters/Witches. Hopefully IS will surprise us.

Gaiden needs a remake badly, it's kind of a hidden gem and considerably better then the original despite being so different. I wouldn't mind Holy War either, but I am not sure how that would pan out due to limited characters and map sizes. I suppose maps could be split up in to several chapters, like for example chapter 2 (Disturbance in Agustria) could look like...

Chapter X : Conquer Heirhein and defend Lachesis.

Chapter X : Conquer Anphony and save the villages.

Chapter X : Conquer Mackily

Chapter X : Conquer Augusty and dethrone Shagarl.

I voted for 2 though as it suffers more from NES limitations and it would be interesting to see an "unrestricted" Gaiden.

Odolwa they changed so the Deku Mask was actually required,

It's actually not hard to beat him without the Deku Mask in the 3DS version.

I'd appreciate a Gaiden remake since the original is just tedious to play. However, I also don't like the idea of IS screwing the whole thing up. But it's probably got the most room for improvement.

FE4, well, I just want better trading/money mechanics without screwing up the plot.

FE6 I just want a return to the days of GBA simplicity while rebalancing the game to make more people *cough WOLT cough* usable. Leave the plot untouched, it's not my favorite FE story ever but I don't trust IS to not completely ruin it by adding an avatar and retconning everything Roy did, since his intellectualism and strategy is all he really has going for him ability wise as he's not really the toughest unit ever.

Gaiden is surely the next option for a remake:

1. Not too recent (see every pre-Awakening FE after Thracia 776).

2. Isn't already covered (Marth's games).

3. Is the source for pieces of game design that were used in Awakening and Fates (see the World Map). So it wouldn't be as big of a fuss to use Awakening's engine for it.

4. Has exposure in Awakening and Fates.

5. Is old enough that you can remake it for today's audience without having to rework or scrap too many mechanics.

6. Alm and Celica can already walk around towns. You can stick in My Castle.

Edited by Alazen

At this point Gaiden and Binding Blade are top candidates to get a remake soon. If I can play Roy's game (and if possible FE7 at the same time) in a remake or play the game that FE8 took its inspiration from (gameplay-wisse), I'd definitively dry my wallet

Though, I'd like a FE8 sequel or a FE12 translation too...

Geneology of the Holy War would IMO be the greatest candidate out of these listed for the next remake, becuase it's so awesome and because it'd be goood IMO to play on 3DS.

Maybe, but I'm cynical - it'd take more than it not being "The Rich Get Richer: The Game" for me to be satisfied with it.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

Maybe, but I'm cynical - it'd take more than it not being "The Rich Get Richer: The Game" for me to be satisfied with it.

I don't know what you mean by this. Are you talking about the plot? Or how money works as a resource in the game? Or people actually buying it?

I don't know what you mean by this. Are you talking about the plot? Or how money works as a resource in the game? Or people actually buying it?

The copious balance problems, actually. Though it could be the second too, since foot units have a hard time getting cash (which isn't helped by how limited transferring money is)...

I would love to see a two-in-one FE6/FE7 remake in the style of Genealogy. There's plenty of characters in FE6 that are the children of those in FE7, so they could throw in the inheritance mechanics from the most recent games. They could make Mark/The Tactician a playable avatar character a la Robin/Kamui. I would suggest they add more children characters, but then again FE6's character roster is already pretty bloated. Also not sure if I'd prefer they just keep the original support options, or open it up so everybody can marry everybody.

But Gaiden also seems like a good idea and I have never played the original, so I would buy that too. Then again I would probably buy an FE remake no matter which one it was.

Gaiden hasn't aged well, so that would be the best to give it to. All the other games are perfectly fine and sorry if I sound cynical but all a remake would do is degrade the female characters, water down the gameplay and ruin characters like Dorcas and Calill.

Edited by kantoorfarina

I would love to see a two-in-one FE6/FE7 remake in the style of Genealogy. There's plenty of characters in FE6 that are the children of those in FE7, so they could throw in the inheritance mechanics from the most recent games. They could make Mark/The Tactician a playable avatar character a la Robin/Kamui. I would suggest they add more children characters, but then again FE6's character roster is already pretty bloated. Also not sure if I'd prefer they just keep the original support options, or open it up so everybody can marry everybody.

I'd love this but only if certain established character relationships (Bartre x Karla, Pent x Louise, Jaffar x Nino) were left untouched. They could add in a few more children characters and (possibly) remove some other minor characters. All that said, I seriously doubt IS has the restraint to not make another Avatar obsessed, waifu game.

They could do what Holy War did and make a lot of the current FE6 characters replacement characters and then invent new characters to serve as children. That way it would help the mechanic while still not over bloating the cast. Though I admit it might be considered a bit of a disservice to the already established characters.

Edited by Jotari

I think I would really, really, REALLY hate this. Especially making Mark a playable character like Robin and Kamui.

Also, I can't remember if I posted in this thread before, so here's my stance on remakes: would love to see remakes of the older games (especially FE6), but NOT from the current IS. I do NOT want to see FE2 and FE4-10 remade with a shitty playable black hole Mary Sue avatar character and marriage and kids.

Edited by Sunwoo

But Gaiden also seems like a good idea and I have never played the original, so I would buy that too. Then again I would probably buy an FE remake no matter which one it was.

Mark playable? No thanks, If they remake 6 and 7, I'd rather them not be tainted by an avatar.

I wouldn't mind 6 and 7 having a connection, but I don't want to see forced relationships, I'd just want the support trees people had before and not bloating supports and therefore making characters weaker overall in terms of their actual development.

If IntSys absolutely must have an Avatar character in future games whether they're new or remakes, I'd like to see a character that helps your army in an important way, but not necessarily on the battlefield. Here's an idea I've been pondering for a while.

- The Avatar is a Travelling Merchant who makes and sells weapons. He runs into the game's main Lord at the beginning and sticks around for the whole story.

- The Avatar can be deployed, but he has no weapon ranks so he can't attack nor counter. Instead he acts like the Convoy and can trade as many weapons as the Convoy can handle. (Think FE6 Merlinus)

- If a unit finds an item and the unit's inventory is full, the item is sent to the Convoy, but if the Avatar is not deployed, the item must be discarded.

- Unlike FE6 Merlinus (who sucked as an actual unit), the Avatar can gain levels by doing various things. He can give boosts to unit's weapons while on the battlefield, but only once per turn and a limited amount of time per map. The Avatar can also Support other units for Support Ranks.

- The Avatar also has a unique skill that allows him to Mine/Dig/Search for materials in the battlefield. Finding specific ore allows him to create specific weapons in the Shop in limited amounts (Those who have played Etrian Odyssey can have an idea of how this could work).

- While at the base, the Avatar runs the Weapon/Item Shop. At first he only has the basics (Bronze/Iron weapons, Basic Tomes and Staves, and Vulneraries), but through certain conditions he can sell more stuff, including game progression, story events, finding specific materials, talking to certain NPCs, or reaching Supports with certain characters (where he can "learn" to make a weapon based on what other characters talk to him about).

- The Avatar can also forge weapons, but if he has a high rank Support with a unit, he can forge a personal weapon for that unit, with unique stats and bonuses.

I feel something like this would be a fresh take on an Avatar character, as it puts him in a role that's important to the army but doesn't necessarily steal the spotlight from the main Lord. It could work on a new game as well as a remake (I was picturing it with the FE5 cast as I typed).

I think the best way to stop the Avatar from stealing the spotlight is to just not write them so they steal the spot light. Just write a character like Finn who's likeable and important to the main character but not crucial to the plot overall.

If IntSys absolutely must have an Avatar character in future games whether they're new or remakes, I'd like to see a character that helps your army in an important way, but not necessarily on the battlefield. Here's an idea I've been pondering for a while.

- The Avatar is a Travelling Merchant who makes and sells weapons. He runs into the game's main Lord at the beginning and sticks around for the whole story.

- The Avatar can be deployed, but he has no weapon ranks so he can't attack nor counter. Instead he acts like the Convoy and can trade as many weapons as the Convoy can handle. (Think FE6 Merlinus)

- If a unit finds an item and the unit's inventory is full, the item is sent to the Convoy, but if the Avatar is not deployed, the item must be discarded.

- Unlike FE6 Merlinus (who sucked as an actual unit), the Avatar can gain levels by doing various things. He can give boosts to unit's weapons while on the battlefield, but only once per turn and a limited amount of time per map. The Avatar can also Support other units for Support Ranks.

- The Avatar also has a unique skill that allows him to Mine/Dig/Search for materials in the battlefield. Finding specific ore allows him to create specific weapons in the Shop in limited amounts (Those who have played Etrian Odyssey can have an idea of how this could work).

- While at the base, the Avatar runs the Weapon/Item Shop. At first he only has the basics (Bronze/Iron weapons, Basic Tomes and Staves, and Vulneraries), but through certain conditions he can sell more stuff, including game progression, story events, finding specific materials, talking to certain NPCs, or reaching Supports with certain characters (where he can "learn" to make a weapon based on what other characters talk to him about).

- The Avatar can also forge weapons, but if he has a high rank Support with a unit, he can forge a personal weapon for that unit, with unique stats and bonuses.

I feel something like this would be a fresh take on an Avatar character, as it puts him in a role that's important to the army but doesn't necessarily steal the spotlight from the main Lord. It could work on a new game as well as a remake (I was picturing it with the FE5 cast as I typed).

I honestly don't see the connection between combat usefulness and plot significance. They're not the same thing, and to be perfectly frank I think the vast majority of people would find this... pretty lame, myself included. I'd like my custom character to actually take part in the battle, not be the guy who carries everyone's weapons. There's little reason for such a unit to be customizable at any rate. Being a useful combat character who simply doesn't have too much story significance would be way better.

I think the best way to stop the Avatar from stealing the spotlight is to just not write them so they steal the spot light. Just write a character like Finn who's likeable and important to the main character but not crucial to the plot overall.

This. This is more the way to go.

I honestly don't see the connection between combat usefulness and plot significance. They're not the same thing, and to be perfectly frank I think the vast majority of people would find this... pretty lame, myself included. I'd like my custom character to actually take part in the battle, not be the guy who carries everyone's weapons. There's little reason for such a unit to be customizable at any rate. Being a useful combat character who simply doesn't have too much story significance would be way better.

I'd rather not have a custom character to begin with tbh. But i'm preaching to the choir mostly by this point.

Any lessened role to be more like FE7 Mark would be a welcome thing at this point.

Edited by Jedi

I don't like this idea at all - I don't think that it'd be well-implemented if it only affects like 1/5 of the cast...

EDIT: I'd also prefer Mark to not be implemented at all.

I'd rather not have a custom character to begin with tbh. But i'm preaching to the choir mostly by this point.

Any lessened role to be more like FE7 Mark would be a welcome thing at this point.

Same. I feel like their writing has just been consistently poor and steals light from cooler (or also lame in the case of Chrom) protagonists.

I didn't like Mark either, but something like him would be preferable to the current route of the series.