What do you think of the story in the Tellius games?

NewDisplayName

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me Tellius story is the highlight of Fire emblem storytelling. The main draw are the characters of course but the stories are at least decent or even good.

I think the great strength of Tellius is its worldbuilding. Goldoa and the birds aside we learn more about the nations of Tellius then any other Fire emblem. We know their cultures, their outlook, their politics and a decent amount of locations. And the countries actually do behave like countries. So far Tellius is the most detailed continent by far.

Path of radiance was very traditional and didn't really make any mistake in its plot. It wasn't original but it was competent and had a believable escalation of events, an interesting cast of characters and good villains. To me that's a successful plot.

Radiant dawn got to big for its bridges at times though I find it easier to respect then to dislike something that falls short thanks to bigger ambitions. They had some pretty nice, hateable villains though.

Part one was an interesting, if not mind blowing resistance plot.

Part two was actually a pretty impressive, if self contained piece of political drama. Story wise I actually like the second part the best.

Part three got into trouble thanks to its ambition. They wanted an epic world war and two opposing playable factions but the blood pact required to make that happen wasn't exactly ideal.

I never really liked part four. On the whole I tend to dislike the whole ''Chaos=good, order=bad'' kind of stories.

So overall I'm quite fond of the Tellius story though there is one thing that never sat well with it. The whole theme of the story is that the two races are equal and should just understand each other, but that message is underminded by the plot supporting the Laguz to such an extend it would make even Hoshido blush.

Every reason for the bad relation between the races can be traced back to the Beorc while the Laguz are their noble victims. There are no beorc lynching squads with the Laguz, no Laguz experimenting on humans, no evil Laguz noble, no Laguz warhawks and etcetera. The closet thing to a villainous Laguz is just blackmailed by a Beorc and the rare unpleasant Laguz like Lethe or that palace guards can be deemed fully justified when a whole continent ranging from Crimean townfolk, Daein soldiers and Begnion senators all want to eat baby Laguz for breakfast.

When the message is one of tolerance its actually insincere when you spend so much time making one race just so much better then the other and if you base yourself on that message its a big weakness.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Every reason for the bad relation between the races can be traced back to the Beorc while the Laguz are their noble victims. There are no beorc lynching squads with the Laguz, no Laguz experimenting on humans, no evil Laguz noble, no Laguz warhawks and etcetera. The closet thing to a villainous Laguz is just blackmailed by a Beorc and the rare unpleasant Laguz like Lethe or that palace guards can be deemed fully justified when a whole continent ranging from Crimean townfolk, Daein soldiers and Begnion senators all want to eat baby Laguz for breakfast.

When the message is one of tolerance its actually insincere when you spend so much time making one race just so much better then the other and if you base yourself on that message its a big weakness.

The main villain of the duology is a laguz. He's passing for human but he still is a laguz who manipulated all the events to be as they are. We also do see generic Laguz bandits, laguz being racists and reports of the laguz being way worse to the branded. And as Dhegensea notes the world goes through periods where the laguz are the oppressors just as often as the beorc. This just happens to be an era where humans are on top. I do agree with you to a certain extent though. A lot of the is told and not seen. A few more outright bastard laguz aside from the pretty sympathetic Sephiran would have been nice. But I guess it's hard to establish a villainous presence when the Senators are such colossal racists dicks. I also would have liked it if they did a little bit more to point out how the Laguz army being the aggressors in RD isn't really a fantastic idea when there's a magical pendant that could end the world if people fight.

Edited by Jotari

I liked PoR. It was very interesting and IMO, it is only second the the Jugdral duology.

RD however was okay till Part 3 where it became, in simple terms, a pile of shit. The main lord was shoved out of the picture for a not very interesting goddess and Ike, who like, but I feel like his inclusion was literally only because of how he was liked in PoR. I would not have minded his inclusion normally, but the fact he took the main character spot from the main character was just stupid.

To me Tellius story is the highlight of Fire emblem storytelling. The main draw are the characters of course but the stories are at least decent or even good.

I think the great strength of Tellius is its worldbuilding. Goldoa and the birds aside we learn more about the nations of Tellius then any other Fire emblem. We know their cultures, their outlook, their politics and a decent amount of locations. And the countries actually do behave like countries. So far Tellius is the most detailed continent by far.

Path of radiance was very traditional and didn't really make any mistake in its plot. It wasn't original but it was competent and had a believable escalation of events, an interesting cast of characters and good villains. To me that's a successful plot.

Radiant dawn got to big for its bridges at times though I find it easier to respect then to dislike something that falls short thanks to bigger ambitions. They had some pretty nice, hateable villains though.

Part two was actually a pretty impressive, if self contained piece of political drama. Story wise I actually like the second part the best.

Part three got into trouble thanks to its ambition. They wanted an epic world war and two opposing playable factions but the blood pact required to make that happen wasn't exactly ideal.

I never really liked part four. On the whole I tend to dislike the whole ''Chaos=good, order=bad'' kind of stories.

So overall I'm quite fond of the Tellius story though there is one thing that never sat well with it. The whole theme of the story is that the two races are equal and should just understand each other, but that message is underminded by the plot supporting the Laguz to such an extend it would make even Hoshido blush.

I mostly agree with this.

Tellius has the best story line in Fire Emblem overall, mostly because it does take a lot of time for world building and character development, even when the plot starts to get a bit bloated and stupid in the later parts of Radiant Dawn, they at least take a lot of time to explain the political situations between countries, so the conflict you are playing through has more context.

I didn't like how in Awakening and Fates they spend minimal time on world building so you don't really have much context as to why there is a war going on. Even in Blazing Sword, which has one of the weakest main plot lines of any Fire Emblem, took enough time to world and character build that you didn't notice it as much.

To add on to what everyone else has said (because I kinda feel a bit lazy :3 ), both PoR and RD have really good stories (but it depends on one's preference of how much though, I love both...mostly). The most appearent for me is that I LOVE how everything comes back around! What I mean is that everything you learn about in the story you get backstory for it, even some supports (especially Soren's. I had to beat the game twice and fulfill some requirements that seemed pretty nuts, but it was worth it...for the most part). I guess that would classify as world build though. Not only that, but PoR got me to fall in love with this series too (I played FE7 and I think FE8 too beforehand, but they didn't really pull me in like FE9. Although Lyn did leave a big impression on my much younger self. I realized the awesomeness of Hector years later)! :3

Oh, and Part 4 of RD is alright in my book, but it does have hit-and-miss moments. Especially the very last cutscene with Ike and the goddess.

I liked PoR. It was very interesting and IMO, it is only second the the Jugdral duology.

RD however was okay till Part 3 where it became, in simple terms, a pile of shit. The main lord was shoved out of the picture for a not very interesting goddess and Ike, who like, but I feel like his inclusion was literally only because of how he was liked in PoR. I would not have minded his inclusion normally, but the fact he took the main character spot from the main character was just stupid.

I can kinda agree with this. I love Ike, I really do (heck, he's kinda my favorite main protagonist of the series with Micaiah, Hector, and Lyn really close behind him. And if she counts, Elincia too), but Micaiah kinda got pushed to the back in part 4......oh who am I kinding, she got thrown to the back in part 4! Yeah, she still has importance, but others really steal the limelight and that sucks because she's actually a pretty good character (that and she seems like she isn't really there until the game tells me it's her and when you beat the final boss and go to the "where are they now" sequence). It's saddening honestly. :'(

I feel Tellius has the best story in the series! Throughout both its games. The only real problems I had with it were MIcaiah being shoved aside for Yune (as much as I disliked Micaiah) and that I felt RD dropped the ball at the very end. I didn't at all like some of those character endings and there's only a small handful of possible paired endings when there are like 70 playable characters in total. There really should've been more than what we got.

I also wish NoA hadn't cut a bunch of the original RD script.

FE9 was one of my favorite games storywise. FE10 was... okay. Part 2 makes everything look like crap when you see something that well written in the same game as the pile of crap that is Part 4. Part 3 was good up until the Blood pact. Like holy crap.

I also wish NoA hadn't cut a bunch of the original RD script.

They also added to it. And made gameplay much less stupid for the Dawn Brigade. I hope you aren't just saying that from hearsay. (I've played Japanese FE10 because the script was still in the English version. All you had to do was hack it in.)

This is also the reason FE10 had a giant disconnect with the Ike x Elincia shipping because all of that was added in NoA FE9.

Edited by shadowofchaos

They also added to it. And made gameplay much less stupid for the Dawn Brigade. I hope you aren't just saying that from hearsay. (I've played Japanese FE10 because the script was still in the English version. All you had to do was hack it in.)

This is also the reason FE10 had a giant disconnect with the Ike x Elincia shipping because all of that was added in NoA FE9.

No, I'm not, actually. I've seen some of the cut script myself (translated, of course), it was script I definitely know was not in the English game.

I hated that Ike x Elincia nonsense too. It created a lot of fans of the pairing only for them to end up disappointed. But I disagree that NoA was responsible for every bit of it. They only increased its presence. Even the original Japanese PoR has the final cutscene, a support between the two, etc. And also, some of that RD script that wasn't in the English game? It was conversation between Ike and Elincia that actually was strangely cute to me. Another thing, I still see no reason why they couldn't have a platonic ending at the very least. I would've found that acceptable.

Also, the pairing has Japanese fans too, not just western fans. I know because I've seen fanart for them in places like pixiv. It's not common, but it's there. I'm not saying Geoffrey x Elincia should've never existed. The GBA FE games gave several characters multiple paired endings. I never understood why Tellius characters couldn't have the same treatment and make even more pairing fans happy. And with the Outrealm Gate being a thing and all now...why the hell not if there's a re-release/remake?

Edited by Anacybele

PoR's plot was fair enough, I thought it was pretty fleshed out. I can't say I liked RD's though. It felt like it was trying to do too much and never really accomplished what it tried to start.

Honestly, I think the story in the Tellius games are the weakest of any Fire Emblem so far. I actually really like Part 2 of Radiant Dawn, and Part 1 of RD and PoR's story are both decent enough, but as a whole...meh. They're the weakest, up with Awakening's.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

How big a difference is there between the two scripts in Radiant Dawn? I've only read a little of the end game changes and aside from one thing they did with the flashbacks that I really like, it seems pretty similar. In the past I would have been against cutting anything out like that but a recent replaying of Metal Gear Solid has turned me on to the idea that some scripts simply need a hacksaw taken to it. What particularly strong pieces of dialogue or explanations were actually lost in the abridgement?

There seems to be quite a bit cut. I remember reading a couple whole translated conversations that were not in the English game. One conversation was when Ike and his guys returned to their base. Mist was talking about how dirty it was because they'd been gone awhile and Ike was like "it won't kill us if we don't clean" and Mist got annoyed at that etc. etc. I was like "Ike, dude, really. lol Yeah, it won't kill you to not clean, but would you really want to live in a dirty place?"

Then the conversation between Ike and Elincia. They were talking about battle stuffs for a good few lines and then Ike just randomly says "Crimea has itself a fine ruler." That's the part I found cute and gave me a vibe of shipping between them. I just thought "ooh Ike, you going straaangely off topic there. Hee hee." But anyway, the conversation continued for a bit after that. NONE of this text was in the English version.

Edited by Anacybele

Also, the pairing has Japanese fans too, not just western fans. I know because I've seen fanart for them in places like pixiv. It's not common, but it's there. I'm not saying Geoffrey x Elincia should've never existed. The GBA FE games gave several characters multiple paired endings. I never understood why Tellius characters couldn't have the same treatment and make even more pairing fans happy. And with the Outrealm Gate being a thing and all now...why the hell not if there's a re-release/remake?

just cause the pairing has fans doesn't mean that it's a legitimate pairing

i mean there's a goku x anne frank fanfic

The GBA FE games gave several characters multiple paired endings.

Just FE7/8, the only paired ending in FE6 was Roy x girl in harem. Edited by Lord Raven

just cause hte pairing has fans doesn't mean that it's a legitimate pairing

i mean there's a goku x anne frank fanfic

Just FE7/8, the only paired ending in FE6 was Roy x girl in harem.

That is such a ridiculous concept. More than anything else I'd like to know how the real Anne Frank would feel about it.

That's not what I meant. >.>

I meant that the pairing had some basis even in the original Japanese game and it got some Japanese fans and it involves the two main characters. That's reason enough to me to at least get a platonic ending. That's all I meant. I wasn't saying that having fans alone meant anything.

Edited by Anacybele

The Ike X Elincia shipping felt quite strong in FE9. I mean, the game REALLY made you feel like they would end up together at the end and by FE10, it's a good friendship (and I don't think they talk to each other that much in FE10 either, only a few occasions). Nothing wrong with a strong friendship, but...it kinda dashed some hopes (......and...I kinda hoped too, 2'nd playthrough of PoR onward. I won't lie, Ike X Elincia seemed pretty cute are a while. Not sure about Greffory X Elincia though......weird...I never really talk openly about my liked pairings...) :3

Geoffrey x Elincia has some basis since they grew up together and aren't blood-related, but imo, they felt more like a big brother/little sister pair. Even in their PoR support, Geoffrey felt like that overprotective big brother type with Elincia telling him to back off and stop protecting her. It felt like how Mist and Rolf wanted to stop worrying about their brothers and quit having to be protected. And since Elincia thinks of Lucia as her sister, it isn't unrealistic for her to think of Geoffrey as her brother either.

Geoffrey himself though, he could be interpreted to have romantic feelings for her. I just don't see it the other way around. Elincia just treats him...too formally sometimes to me, particularly in RD. I also felt like her "western" crush on Ike was still there in RD, it just wasn't nearly as obvious because she kinda has bigger things to focus on, like her country. :P

Everybody interprets things in their own way though, this is just how I personally saw it. Others have seen it different, that's all fine and dandy. I'm just throwing out my two cents.

I also just tend to not go for knight x princess pairings for some reason. I can't really say why, since my reason for not preferring the pairing seems to be different in each case (my reason for not being a Geoffrey x Elincia person is right above, for Freddy x Lissa, the age gap is the reason, I just ended up preferring Hector x Lyn too much before looking into Kent x Lyn and so on).

Also, I realize Ike x Elincia is rather cliche. I won't deny that. I felt like they would've been a good take on the cliche of the hero x princess thing though. Just because something is cliche doesn't make it bad. It's how you write it or what your personal tastes are. I like some cliches and dislike some, so yeah. :P

Another thing I feel I should point out, I don't hate Geoffrey the way I used to anymore. I don't hate him at all, in fact. I still don't like him much as a character, but I came to realize that you know, he's still technically of that chivalrous knight type guy I tend to like a lot. I can't hate that. I don't hate Kent for the same reason. I just don't LOVE them. :P Oh yeah, also, Geoffrey's hair is my favorite color. It really is. I can't hate that either. That hair color of his is freaking awesome.

Edited by Anacybele

wrt por: it has interesting themes at a glance (laguz stigmatization as a parallel for minorities, rebellion) but never expands upon them and it's not like they're very deep in the first place. they basically just gloss over anything that could portray any kind of point whatsoever and focus on progressing the gameplay, which is not really a bad thing, because it's not like you play fire emblem for the plot. the plot itself is about par for the course for jrpgs, which is to say, uninspired and insipid. the writing is for the most part forgettable, with very plain characterization and tonnes of uselss dialogue, and it's definitely not helped by fire emblem's brand of exposition, ie still images with minimal expression over a textbox. i guess if nothing else, it has flashes of brilliance here and there and some of the characters are kinda charming. compared to most of the rest of the series, the writing isn't even that bad.

rd was a lot more ambitious and larger in scope and i feel like they managed to handle a lot of elements pretty well to craft a narrative that's a lot more complex than pretty much any other game in the franchise, but ultimately it suffers from the same problems as por, and that's without mentioning how it derails pretty heavily towards the end. i have to admit that it's impressive that they tried something like RD and i'm not dissatisfied with the result but it isn't exactly spectacular.

stacking tellius up against the rest of the franchise, i wouldn't say it's much better or worse storywise than the average fire emblem, save maybe for RD having some fresh ideas and an interesting execution, and por having minimally more immersive dialogue, but i wouldn't rate either game's stories particularly high on their own.

I think its fair to say overall the story is better than most. On one hand you have PoR with a main character who isn't a royal and all about Ike's development and struggles of becoming a leader and on the other you have the large scope of RD with political motives and cataclysmic conflict. My only gripe is how they seemingly ditched the support system and dialogue of PoR in RD. All in all though one thing I have to say that the Tellius games do better at is world building which is I suppose the advantage of having two direct games to the storyline.

• 1 month later...

I'd neve

When the message is one of tolerance its actually insincere when you spend so much time making one race just so much better then the other and if you base yourself on that message its a big weakness

Wow, I never thought that way about the Beorc-Laguz conflict but you're absolutly right. Also the whole order and chaos thing is so clichéd.

It's good.

I don't care too much about storylines in Fire Emblem, so I can't argue whether it's well written or not, but what I know is that the general scenario is pretty cool and that it doesn't
make me feel uncomfortable or cringe while playing the game, which is basicly all I expect from a good story.

That horrible voice acting, though. I like it, it's fun.

To me, it's the best FE story-wise, though it's not without it's faults not gonna lie.

Like Etrurian emperor said, the world building is epic, you quickly learn what X country is, the how, the why everything. Though I think they didn't do much with the Laguz or the Branded themselves, which is complete BS, since one of the main message is 'racism is bad', how can you put a message like that if you don't explore what the other races are more ?

There were also other message like Royalty actually have to do political things, spies and all the like, I was genuinely impressed by Sanaki's little show for hey monkeys, Ashnard is a message package by itself, he is a bloodthisty evil darwinist, who want to recreate the world into a darwinist (no shit), yet, the fact remains that as states by Sothe, he, unlike most royals, at least gave the chance to other to rise up un society. As if to say that you can be evil, yet still do some good, and inverse.

And those twists ma boy, those twists. Volke, I love you bro. That moment was awesome ! We are far, far away from those anime cliche of evil.

There is so many thing I want to praise about PoR, but I lack the proper eloquence or the english skills for it.

FE10 was a complete, not much at the start, but the more were more your in a swamp. 'Huh ?....'

Speaking of the Ike/Elincia, the first time I played PoR, despite the obvious closeness they had, I did a Ike/Leither A Support. No joke. Admittedly I was surprised by how not as close as they were in PoR.
... While thinking about it, I was still dissapointed, no Ike/Leithe yo. :o

But yeah, then I got all learned all script outside of japan being changed and more shippy, I understood.