Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

I finally finished this (was too tired after the drive yesterday and was busy most of today). :P I also got Eevee slippers!

a_serenading_duo_by_great_aether-dap78di

Looks good.

Let's see, I recently defeated Totem Lurantis, and boy was that a pain. Well, at least the Trumbeak was. It just kept spamming Screech and Supersonic, with the occasional powerful Pluck. It got to a point where I was stalling with Super Potions and Revives to make Lurantis use all of its Synthesis and then taking little potshots. At the end I had to take a chance and just attack the Trumbeak to finish the battle, and I only got through thanks to Torracat not hitting itself twice and Trumbeak using an unnecessary Screech.

Totem Salandit was unexpectedly strong with those Flame Bursts, but I got through it well enough.

Current team:

Beltigre: 24

XX03: 23

Kiwa Hirsuta: 23

Mude: 22

Scuttlebug: 22 Araquanid

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Underwater just past the starting town on Poni Island(Island 4) off the beach.

Thanks! It might be a good time after I set my Misdreavus with Shadow Ball, Power Gem, a status move and Mystical Fire/Energy Ball/Dazzling Gleam.

On another note, lol guys, I had a dream where Alakazam was in Smash and was wrecking its opponent.

Okay, just beat the Totem Vikavolt and the game is still pleasantly difficult. Though considering I've grinded up my team in PokeRefresh, it feels wrong to sack a pokemon when there's text saying "___ is in a pinch. It looks like it might cry" and "___ held on for you" at one HP.

I don't know how are you guys doing, but personally, I tend to level up my team to be 3 or 5 levels above the opponent standard. It's been basically my rule on all pokemon games, and always begin the first gym with my evolved starter.

= EDIT =

Also, should I interpret my dream as a signal that I should use Abra in Moon?

Edited by Quintessence

I would advise against using Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam as In-Game Pokemon in Sun/Moon.

Mostly because there is this new thing some are calling "Evolution Move":

http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/evolutionmoves.shtml

Because of that, it causes a certain glitch that prevents Kadabra from learning Confusion and it will struggle until it learns Psybeam at level 21.

Granted, there's always the Exp. Share.

Edited by Water Mage

Be careful about Abra(this is just a PSA I suppose), Kadabra seems to have a glitch with the new evolution moves(moves a pokemon will always learn when they evolve, regardless of the level), where it will only learn Kinesis when it evolves, losing Confusion, It won't learn anything useful until Psybeam at level 21.

So I've finally got some time for myself today and figured I could post my thoughts on the story, if people are interested in some lovely spoiler-tagged discussion to clutter up the thread.

[spoiler=Story spoilers]Honestly, while the story has a lot of shortcomings, I rather liked it. Not only is it wonderful to break free from the archaic gyms and incorporte something new and different, but it's also by far the funniest game in the series, with several really good jokes and overall entertaining dialogue. Most characters were sympathetic and at least had an interesting premise, even if they didn't all live up to it.

Something I've praised several times already was around the midpoint of the story, with Lillie being kidnapped and Lusamine releasing the Ultra Beasts; it's by far the most tense moment in the entire franchise, and I had no idea in what direction the plot would go. It was refreshing to be lost in the moment and fight through Aether Paradise, eagerly anticipating what would come next.

However, my main issues come from the simple fact that all this tension doesn't really lead to anything; it peeters out, and things get seemingly forgotten about. Ultra Beasts are relegated to post-game content, meaning the only real interaction we have with them throughout the main plot is Nihilego. Lusamine's obsession is never really explained, and the only thing we have to go on is Gladion's theory about the loss of her husband setting this off, but even he admits it might not even be the truth. Like the Ultra Beasts, Guzma is also forgotten about, and his relationship with Lusamine is just brushed under the rug, and along with it all of Team Skull.

What we desperately needed more of was interactions between Lusamine, Gladion and Lillie. While we do have several glimpses of something awesome, it doesn't really lead anywhere. That said, I really appreciated Lillie talking about a memory of Lusamine from when she was a child at Exeggutor island, which I found really sweet and well-written (and something the writers of Fates should take a note of), and I actually laughed out loud when Gladion got overprotective of Lillie after a comment made by Hau, although I can't even remember what he said.

Looker's missions could also have been better developed, especially Anabel and her connection to the Ultra Wormhole - hell, that entire world could've been better developed, as we only saw a fraction of it. Like a lot of things with Sun and Moon, amazing build-up doesn't really have any satisfying payoff.

Maybe some of these things can be improved upon in a third version of the game. I dearly hope this won't be the last we'll see of Alola before we move back to Sinnoh; a lot of things still have so much potential, especially the Ultra Beasts and their world.

So, while the story was good, the script vastly improved compared to previous installments and the cast generally likeable, it feels like the developers spread themselves a bit too thin and included too many characters without any idea of how to properly develop them, which heavily affected Lillie's family and Guzma in particular.

Also, as an aside, the 12-year-old in me couldn't help but to giggle at all the innuendos in Mallow's trial and Lana's hopes for seeing burly swimmers during the trial.

So I've finally got some time for myself today and figured I could post my thoughts on the story, if people are interested in some lovely spoiler-tagged discussion to clutter up the thread.

[spoiler=Story spoilers]Honestly, while the story has a lot of shortcomings, I rather liked it. Not only is it wonderful to break free from the archaic gyms and incorporte something new and different, but it's also by far the funniest game in the series, with several really good jokes and overall entertaining dialogue. Most characters were sympathetic and at least had an interesting premise, even if they didn't all live up to it.

Something I've praised several times already was around the midpoint of the story, with Lillie being kidnapped and Lusamine releasing the Ultra Beasts; it's by far the most tense moment in the entire franchise, and I had no idea in what direction the plot would go. It was refreshing to be lost in the moment and fight through Aether Paradise, eagerly anticipating what would come next.

However, my main issues come from the simple fact that all this tension doesn't really lead to anything; it peeters out, and things get seemingly forgotten about. Ultra Beasts are relegated to post-game content, meaning the only real interaction we have with them throughout the main plot is Nihilego. Lusamine's obsession is never really explained, and the only thing we have to go on is Gladion's theory about the loss of her husband setting this off, but even he admits it might not even be the truth. Like the Ultra Beasts, Guzma is also forgotten about, and his relationship with Lusamine is just brushed under the rug, and along with it all of Team Skull.

What we desperately needed more of was interactions between Lusamine, Gladion and Lillie. While we do have several glimpses of something awesome, it doesn't really lead anywhere. That said, I really appreciated Lillie talking about a memory of Lusamine from when she was a child at Exeggutor island, which I found really sweet and well-written (and something the writers of Fates should take a note of), and I actually laughed out loud when Gladion got overprotective of Lillie after a comment made by Hau, although I can't even remember what he said.

Looker's missions could also have been better developed, especially Anabel and her connection to the Ultra Wormhole - hell, that entire world could've been better developed, as we only saw a fraction of it. Like a lot of things with Sun and Moon, amazing build-up doesn't really have any satisfying payoff.

Maybe some of these things can be improved upon in a third version of the game. I dearly hope this won't be the last we'll see of Alola before we move back to Sinnoh; a lot of things still have so much potential, especially the Ultra Beasts and their world.

So, while the story was good, the script vastly improved compared to previous installments and the cast generally likeable, it feels like the developers spread themselves a bit too thin and included too many characters without any idea of how to properly develop them, which heavily affected Lillie's family and Guzma in particular.

Also, as an aside, the 12-year-old in me couldn't help but to giggle at all the innuendos in Mallow's trial and Lana's hopes for seeing burly swimmers during the trial.

[spoiler=UB-01]Isn't Lusamine's obsession related to Nihilego's neurotoxins?

[spoiler=UB-01]Isn't Lusamine's obsession related to Nihilego's neurotoxins?

It's possible, but we don't see her getting possessed until after she had alread gone badshit insane.

I do like how they went to Kanto to speak to Bill about potentially removing it. That's the kind of "gen 1 pandering" that's really well done.

Unrelated to the story, but were you also disappointed by its typing? I expected it to be Electric/Poison, not Rock/Poison. Cool typing, but Electric/Poison would've been cooler and even made more sense.

Is it just me, or have the Pokedex entries gotten even creppier?

Some examples:

Haunter:

"It strikes at humans from total darkness. Those licked by its cold tongue grow weaker with each passing day until they die."

Gengar:

"It apparently wishes for a traveling companion. Since it was once human itself, it tries to create one by taking the lives of other humans."

"Should you feel yourself attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up."

Bewear:

"This Pokémon has the habit of hugging its companions. Many Trainers have left this world after their spines were squashed by its hug."

Also, this time, the Pokedex isn't shy when talking about what Pokemon eat.

There are far too many entries that mention Pokemon eating each other or being eaten.

It's possible, but we don't see her getting possessed until after she had alread gone badshit insane.

I do like how they went to Kanto to speak to Bill about potentially removing it. That's the kind of "gen 1 pandering" that's really well done.

Unrelated to the story, but were you also disappointed by its typing? I expected it to be Electric/Poison, not Rock/Poison. Cool typing, but Electric/Poison would've been cooler and even made more sense.

[spoiler=UB-01]tbh I was more expecting pure poison when I found out about the neurotoxin thing, then I remembered it's apparently composed of a "glass-like substance"

Which sort of helps justify Rock? Maybe?

Confirmed true, it's due to Nihilego's neurotoxins, but her obsession also comes from things like grief from the death of her husband, and such.

Mohn isn't actually dead though, he just went missing. You meet a memory wiped "Faller" version of the guy in the game, he runs Poké Pelago.

It's not explicitly spelled out but it's heavily implied.

Huh, good thing I don't use the Abra line. An update later will probably fix the glitch tho.

Can someone tell me if Bounsweet might be a version exclusive, possibly to Moon? I found a person who would trade me one, but I want one I can nickname (you can't nickname a traded Pokemon).

Huh, good thing I don't use the Abra line. An update later will probably fix the glitch tho.

Can someone tell me if Bounsweet might be a version exclusive, possibly to Moon? I found a person who would trade me one, but I want one I can nickname (you can't nickname a traded Pokemon).

It is on both versions, but you can only catch wild Bounsweet in Lush Jungle, which is the very last trial of the second island.

So it might be a while before you can catch one.

You could always try to breed the one you get in the trade, since Bounsweet is a female-only Pokemon.

Edited by Water Mage

[spoiler=UB-01]tbh I was more expecting pure poison when I found out about the neurotoxin thing, then I remembered it's apparently composed of a "glass-like substance"

Which sort of helps justify Rock? Maybe?

True, but controlling the body is all about electrical impulses, and it looks like a jellyfish. I just thought it would've been a swell combo. It's too bad the other Ultra Beasts didn't have unique combinations; that would've been cooler, but hey, UB-01 is my favorite, so at least that's something.

Mohn isn't actually dead though, he just went missing. You meet a memory wiped "Faller" version of the guy in the game, he runs Poké Pelago.

It's not explicitly spelled out but it's heavily implied.

When does this happen?

Another point in favor of a third version of the game being needed, I guess.

It is on both versions, but you can only catch wild Bounsweet in Lush Jungle, which is the very last trial of the second island.

So it might be a while before you can catch one.

You could always try to breed the one you get in the trade, since Bounsweet is a female-only Pokemon.

Ah, okay, thanks. That's fine, I'm on the second island and did the first trial there already, so it won't be that long before I can catch Bounsweet.

Btw, for people who like using Snorlax, I found a move that should be handy on it. There's a secret little cranny in Paniola Town that can only be reached via a secret path on Route 6, and it has the TM for the move hidden back there. It's Sleep Talk. Combine that with Rest and you might get nice results!

You plan on using the Bounsweet line?

Here's a hint:

Bounsweet evolves into Stenee normally by level, but in order to evolve Stenee into Tsareena, you have to let it learn Stomp.

Uh huh. I still have no Grass type either anyway. And thanks, I don't think I would've known that otherwise.

The hell... Got to the fourth island, now i'm underleveled lol. Freaking Toxapex is almost swept my team.

You too huh...

Let me guess, it was a trainer with a Garbodor?

And even the Wild Pokemon in the area are of higher level than your Pokemon?

Also, considering you just got to the fourth island, that means you just battle a certain someone

Lusamine and Guzma right?

Tell what did you think of their battles? Were they easy or hard?

Uh huh. I still have no Grass type either anyway. And thanks, I don't think I would've known that otherwise.

No problem, this was important for you to know, because the move reminder comes very, very late in the game, pretty much at the end, so you could be stuck with Stenee for a long time.

Edited by Water Mage

So, just got to Poni Island.

Guzma and Ragyo/Lusamine (wow, was Senketsu an appropriate name choice) were both pretty easy. Guzma managed to take down my Lycanroc, but that's because I forgot Golispod was Water/Bug, but otherwise there wasn't a single KO between the two.

I will admit, the whole Aether Paradise part was pretty good. It felt very tense, and storming the castle so to speak was very exciting.

So now it's time to explore Poni Island and backtrack to do anything I missed on Ula'ula.

Is it just me, or have the Pokedex entries gotten even creppier?

Also, this time, the Pokedex isn't shy when talking about what Pokemon eat.
There are far too many entries that mention Pokemon eating each other or being eaten.

Yeah, I'm honestly not a fan of how creepy the Pokedex entries has gotten. Not because it's for kids or anything, but because it just feels too mean-spirited and deconstructionist.

Honestly, for games that are supposed to be celebrating the 20th anniversary of Pokemon, they don't seem to actually like Pokemon very much. They seem hellbent on completely deconstructing the entire franchise, and
[spoiler=MAJOR SPOILERS]hey, remember all those characters and Pokemon you loved from Gens I-V? They're all dead, and everything you did in those games amounted to nothing, says GameFreak.

No problem, this was important for you to know, because the move reminder comes very, very late in the game, pretty much at the end, so you could be stuck with Stenee for a long time.

Ah, I see. Glad to know that too. I also keep meaning to ask if Alolan Raichu learns some Psychic type moves by level up since it gains the Psychic type upon evolving from Pikachu, despite using a stone to evolve. It still uses the Thunder Stone too, doesn't it? I need to know just when I should use the Thunder Stone, and where to find one, for that matter...