Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

Well, that's a new one. What did he say?

Have you ever went to the Game Freak rooms in the games?

If you talk to the one that is the character designer, he always gushing about how Tubers and Twins are his favorite trainer class.

Let that sink in for a moment.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have a Pokemon with pokerus they're willing to trade?

I don't as of now. After bank gets released though, i should be able to pass it around though

On the topic of fanservice, I think that it generally really started during Gen V- HGSS had a different person do the character designs, and they stuck around. It's kinda obvious with how much more "anime" things look on average from BW onward.

The "Report" button is basically "HEY MODS LOOK AT THIS!" So if it's stuff like an accidental double-post, feel free to use it~!

Alola for best trainer designs, though! There's a good age range of men, and that makes me happy~!

Still, I think it's lame that certain colors are locked to certain games, unless you get really lucky with Festival Plaza. The customization is great, but being able to wear a pink shirt with navy blue pants shouldn't require luck!

For example, female swimmers, they never have any swimming gear, unlike male swimmer, and in Sun and Moon female swimmers have to different designs. There's no reason for that other than fanservice.

Another example are the concept arts I showed before. There was a lot more notes and drawings on the cocept art of the female characters, compared to the male characters.

Swimming gear wouldn't get in the way of fanservice (at least if it's not on the same level as it is on the male swimmers). Why would they give girl swimmers two different designs purely for fanservice? The only thing it indicates is that w/e's working on character design is more interested in drawing women over men. This is incredibly apparent considering not only something that you yourself cited (more concept art of the female characters), but also in that men have a lot less clothing options than women do.

Have you ever went to the Game Freak rooms in the games?

If you talk to the one that is the character designer, he always gushing about how Tubers and Twins are his favorite trainer class.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Pretty big leap of logic you're making there.

On the topic of fanservice, I think that it generally really started during Gen V- HGSS had a different person do the character designs, and they stuck around. It's kinda obvious with how much more "anime" things look on average from BW onward.

Can you cite this? I looked it up myself on it said that Sugimori was the character designer (and for games where he wasn't the character designer, that he still had the final say on, at least until and including BW). I don't really see how the games look any more anime, though. It's just that the first two gens used to be '90s anime, gens three and four 00's, and everything else has more or less been modern anime.

Edited by Refa

Yep, Sugimori has been doing the trainer art the whole time. He just saw the designs coming out of modern anime and decided that's what he wanted to do as well. However he is no longer the main designer for the Pokemon themselves, nor does he do all the official art anymore, hence the slightly different style to the Alola Pokemon.

I mean the whole "girls have more clothing options" thing really stems from the fact that real life clothing stores also skew something like 70/30 women's and men's clothes. Just because of dresses and skirts, women simply have more options period. The only thing that is a huge letdown is the hair, to be honest. There's no reason as to why boys can't style their bangs like the girls can.

Anyone know/able how to clone items in S/M? Apparently it's possible but I dunno how.

I've spent 5 hours trying to catch Tapu Fini today and it always ends up struggling itself to death.

I'm legit ready to Master Ball it...

Edited by Ema Skye

Anyone know/able how to clone items in S/M? Apparently it's possible but I dunno how.

I've spent 5 hours trying to catch Tapu Fini today and it always ends up struggling itself to death.

All I've seen is that it's Powersaves related.

I had to paralyze Tapu Fini before I was able to catch it.

I ended up Master Balling it. Aqua Ring made it too difficult to catch.

Necrozma and the other Tapus can't heal (outside of Bulu's Grassy Terrain for 5 turns) so they should (theoretically) be easier to catch.

Yep, Sugimori has been doing the trainer art the whole time. He just saw the designs coming out of modern anime and decided that's what he wanted to do as well. However he is no longer the main designer for the Pokemon themselves, nor does he do all the official art anymore, hence the slightly different style to the Alola Pokemon.

I mean the whole "girls have more clothing options" thing really stems from the fact that real life clothing stores also skew something like 70/30 women's and men's clothes. Just because of dresses and skirts, women simply have more options period. The only thing that is a huge letdown is the hair, to be honest. There's no reason as to why boys can't style their bangs like the girls can.

Yeah, I don't know who does the designs of the Pokemon actually. You'd think these people would be a lot more well known than they are, considering they're designing the selling point of the series and all.

Also yeah, that's fair. I just wanted to dress my dude up as one of the male ace trainers. =(

Yeah, I don't know who does the designs of the Pokemon actually. You'd think these people would be a lot more well known than they are, considering they're designing the selling point of the series and all.

Also yeah, that's fair. I just wanted to dress my dude up as one of the male ace trainers. =(

At least compared to X and Y, the boys clothing selection is at least remotely comparable. Pretty much all the girl's clothing is casual tanktops and shorts too. I mostly saw the same shirts for boys and girls this time around. Girls definitely get more choices but overall they tried to have a little more parity in this game for the main pieces. Here, the difference is mostly in neckline of the shirts and then a slight edge in accessories. In XY the female wardrobe completely eclipses the male one with additional dresses and coats, not to mention the socks as iirc boys didn't get to swap their socks at all.

At least compared to X and Y, the boys clothing selection is at least remotely comparable. Pretty much all the girl's clothing is casual tanktops and shorts too. I mostly saw the same shirts for boys and girls this time around. Girls definitely get more choices but overall they tried to have a little more parity in this game for the main pieces. Here, the difference is mostly in neckline of the shirts and then a slight edge in accessories. In XY the female wardrobe completely eclipses the male one with additional dresses and coats, not to mention the socks as iirc

boys didn't get to swap their socks at all.

Oh really? That's nice to know, I haven't played as a girl in SuMo yet so I wasn't sure how large the gap was. Yeah, X was really weird to me. The first time I played as a girl, so I was like WHOA THIS GAME HAS SO MUCH CLOTHING OPTIONS I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH DOSH TO BUY IT ALL. Then I played as a dude when I got that free copy of Y and was so confused and sad when i had like way less options to choose from. It'd be cool if this game had more clothing options but honestly I didn't even know it was a thing at all until I reached the first town so I didn't have any expectations on that front. At least it lets you take off your hat and wear pajamas everywhere, the real victories.

Edited by Refa

Man when i see my character shake in the ice mountain, i just wonder why i can't get a damn sweater and actual pants. Seriously, where are my coats, sweaters, long sleeves and even a bigger variety of glasses. not everyone wears thick rimmed glasses or aviator ones. Not to mention colours being locked by game is stupid.

Even if male/female clothes are 30/70, males have more options than t-shirt/shirt/tank top and shorts/capris... Hell I have never actually seen capris marketed to guys here in north america. And it seems to be mainly a clothing option for women. Also hat options are severely lacking. Where are these or toque's for guys?

Edited by SlayerX

Man when i see my character shake in the ice mountain, i just wonder why i can't get a damn sweater and actual pants. Seriously, where are my coats, sweaters, long sleeves and even a bigger variety of glasses. not everyone wears thick rimmed glasses or aviator ones. Not to mention colours being locked by game is stupid.

Even if male/female clothes are 30/70, males have more options than t-shirt/shirt/tank top and shorts/capris... Hell I have never actually seen capris marketed to guys here in north america. And it seems to be mainly a clothing option for women.

oh YEAH! I knew i was missing something

i mean, yeah, most of the alola region is pretty summer-y, but it'd still be nice to have some coats and pants and scarves

i'd be willing to pay more pokedollars for them too if they were cute enough

Edited by sylveonzoroark

And the Kanto Pokemon have high encounter rates. I noticed all this too. It's pretty stupid. If the next Pokemon games keep up this ridiculous gen 1 pandering, I might lose interest in the series. I'm sick of seeing gen 1 everywhere.

For it being the first to start it all. I dunno. -.-

I like seeing all these awesome Kanto Pokemon.

I finally got my copy. I picked Litten as my starter, got my special Munchlax, caught a bunch of Pokeman, and beat the first trial.

Tis what I'm choosing for my Sun game starter. Emporer cat.

Does anyone have a Pokemon with pokerus they're willing to trade?

I don't as of now. After bank gets released though, i should be able to pass it around though

^

Let's be honest Pokemon would have a lot more fanservice if Game Freak could get away with it.

But it's still there.

For example, female swimmers, they never have any swimming gear, unlike male swimmer, and in Sun and Moon female swimmers have to different designs. There's no reason for that other than fanservice.

Another example are the concept arts I showed before. There was a lot more notes and drawings on the cocept art of the female characters, compared to the male characters.

Also, it's worth noting that the Pokemon's character designer pretty much admits being a lolicon.

Why I never see men in speedos?

As it was actually edited in the US versions of Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. Never in an E rated game. Just like we can pet our Pokemon, but not pet our Husbando's/Waifu's in Fates. -.-

oh YEAH! I knew i was missing something

i mean, yeah, most of the alola region is pretty summer-y, but it'd still be nice to have some coats and pants and scarves

i'd be willing to pay more pokedollars for them too if they were cute enough

Never in an E rated game. lol

Edited by PuffPuff

Never in an E rated game. lol

I think he is talking about scarves and coats, which dont have to be revealing to be cute. they could be like a mudkip coat (which has the potential to be cute)

I think he is talking about scarves and coats, which dont have to be revealing to be cute. they could be like a mudkip coat (which has the potential to be cute)

i don't think they were referring to clothes being revealing.........

Some male swimmers in past games had their speedos altered to cover more skin. But those swimmers weren't fanservice. They just wore a swimsuit that most American parents would find a little too revealing, despite being entirely non sexual.

However the male swimmers in SM is plenty fanservice and he is wearing regular swim trunks.

I caught my first shiny, a Crabrawler! It continues my cursed trend of every Iron Fist mon having a -Attack nature though...

Edited by Samias

Swimming gear wouldn't get in the way of fanservice (at least if it's not on the same level as it is on the male swimmers). Why would they give girl swimmers two different designs purely for fanservice? The only thing it indicates is that w/e's working on character design is more interested in drawing women over men. This is incredibly apparent considering not only something that you yourself cited (more concept art of the female characters), but also in that men have a lot less clothing options than women do.

When I said swimming gear I meant swimming caps and goggles.

Until Sun and Moon, all male swimmers had swimming caps and goggles, while female swimmers didn't. Don't you ever wonder why that is?

And why do you think they spend more time on female character's designs?

Pretty big leap of logic you're making there.

An older japanese man is gushing about how cute Twins and Tubers are and how a battle with them makes him excited. Doesn't that sound weird?

Do you know what Japan's standards of beauty and cuteness are? And what Japan considers sexy?

Edited by Water Mage

Can you cite this? I looked it up myself on it said that Sugimori was the character designer (and for games where he wasn't the character designer, that he still had the final say on, at least until and including BW). I don't really see how the games look any more anime, though. It's just that the first two gens used to be '90s anime, gens three and four 00's, and everything else has more or less been modern anime.

After doing some research, I seem to be mistaken.

It was one of those things I saw repeated several times and ended up just taking as fact.

When I said swimming gear I meant swimming caps and goggles.

Until Sun and Moon, all male swimmers had swimming caps and goggles, while female swimmers didn't. Don't you ever wonder why that is?

And why do you think they spend more time on female character's designs?

An older japanese man is gushing about how cute Twins and Tubers are and how a battle with them makes him excited. Doesn't that sound weird?

Do you know what Japan's standards of beauty and cuteness are? And what Japan considers sexy?

Not really. Probably because there a (perceived) greater room for variance in female character designs. I honestly can't believe you think more female designs is an example of fanservice when presumably most of those designs have nothing to do with it.

It's like one or two lines in a game, so I don't think it's particularly bothersome. Not sure where you're going with the next two questions.

After doing some research, I seem to be mistaken.

It was one of those things I saw repeated several times and ended up just taking as fact.

It happen, no worries.

Goddammit, floored by Colress again. I figured that the tenth battle was randomized, since I wound up beating and later recruiting Sina (since we're talking about fan service-y designs, I just have to say: hot diggity damn! I don't care if her team is pretty bad, she can fight on my side any day!) last time, so I had hoped there wouldn't be any problem with me bringing a team with a glaring weakness to Steel.

Funny thing is, this was a different Metagross that didn't have Earthquake, which caught me by surprise last time. Now I really don't know what to expect next time, since I ended up sacrificing two pokes out of fear of a potential Earthquake against my Tapu Koko.

Goddammit, floored by Colress again. I figured that the tenth battle was randomized, since I wound up beating and later recruiting Sina (since we're talking about fan service-y designs, I just have to say: hot diggity damn! I don't care if her team is pretty bad, she can fight on my side any day!) last time, so I had hoped there wouldn't be any problem with me bringing a team with a glaring weakness to Steel.

Funny thing is, this was a different Metagross that didn't have Earthquake, which caught me by surprise last time. Now I really don't know what to expect next time, since I ended up sacrificing two pokes out of fear of a potential Earthquake against my Tapu Koko.

If what I read on Serebii is correct, Colress has 2 possible Metagross (as well as two possibilities for the four other potential mons). Metagross will always have Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch, but it has either Earthquake and Explosion + a Occa Berry or it has Zen Headbutt and Brick Break + Metagrossite. So if it mega-evolves, chances are it doesn't have Earthquake.

Edit: I looked at other trainers and they sometimes have 4 different variants of a specific pokemon, so it's possible there's more Metagross possibilities, just that they haven't been put on Serebii.

Edited by LuxSpes