QOTD ♚♛ 1522 - Movies you don't see the appeal of?

Chen

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this short story so much. It's called "The 24-Hour Dog", by Jeanette Winterson.

Spoiler

It is no use trying to assume again the state of innocence and acceptance of the animal or the child. This time it has to be conscious. To circle about in such gladness as his, is the effort of a whole lifetime.

The day was misty and settled on his coat like a warning. I was looking into the future, thinking about what I would have to be to the dog in return for what he would be to me. It would have been much easier if he had been an easier dog. I mean, less intelligent, less sensitive, less brimful of that jouissance which should not be harmed.

It would have been much easier if I had been an easier person. We were so many edges, dog and me, and of the same recklessness. And of the same love. I have learnt what love costs. I never count it but I know what it costs.

Edited by Esme

From Bryce Courtenay's "The Power of One"

“Always in life an idea starts small, it is only a sapling idea, but the vines will come and they will try to choke your idea so it cannot grow and it will die and you will never know you had a big idea, an idea so big it could have grown thirty meters through the dark canopy of leaves and touched the face of the sky.' He looked at me and continued. 'The vines are people who are afraid of originality, of new thinking. Most people you encounter will be vines; when you are a young plant they are very dangerous.' His piercing blue eyes looked into mine.' Always listen to yourself, Peekay. It is better to be wrong than simply to follow convention. If you are wrong, no matter, you have learned something and you grow stronger. If you are right, you have taken another step toward a fulfilling life.”

It's been years since I had any finals but would be anywhere from 2-3 weeks (for when I had to be able to quote and give page numbers from memory from at least 4 different books) to one evening. 

I usually spend ~2 to 3 days (not continuosly but the day is mostly devoted to that minus a few hours of procrastination) before the exam. Unless I can't because the university thinks it great to give 2 exams very close together (like the second one in the same day or the day after). In that case i prioritize, spending more time in the class I am doing worse in, and then dividing my time accordingly. Of course this only works for like the beginning of exam season... After one or 2 exams i stop giving a shit.

they're pretty ok

unless the shells fucking stab your tongue in which case they're literally satan and should be purged with generous helpings of napalm