I Think Pegasas Knights Are Overrated

well I'll certanly get triangle attacked when I leave my home this evening

Let me start off by saying, I have never gotten a good pegasas knight ever. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a thing but my pegasai have never had good growths in anything.

and not to mention that arrow weakness.

I find them overall to be not as usefull

tbh I prefer wyvern knights

honestly this would've been better titled "i don't like pegasus knights" since it's literally just "my pegasus knights are always bad plus arrows kill them"

it depends on the game

which game are you talking about

Blazing Sword, Sacred Stones, Path of Radience, Shadow Dragon, NMOTE, Awakening, and Fates

I guess I just have really bad luck with them

I think game's from FE9 onward, not including the remakes on the DS because I dunno if they did this, made Peg Knights more diverse since Wyvern Riders used Axes in those games. Also there's not really a lot of notable Wyvern Riders. All I know is Jill, Miledy, and now Camilia, I think, with Miledy being the only well known GBA one? I think because you usually get them so late when compared to Peg Knights who come in earlier in the game most of the time and they're fast. There really wasn't a point in using Wyvern Riders in the GBA games for me because Florina would turn out okay in FE7, and Tana and Vanessa come in way earlier in FE8, and those two are badasses.

So even though their talked about alot, I think there's no choice since from what i've seen and experienced, Peg Knights are better. But it's just my opinion.

honestly this would've been better titled "i don't like pegasus knights" since it's literally just "my pegasus knights are always bad plus arrows kill them"

that is basically what "overrated" means tbh

Wyverns are only not weak to arrows in RD (maybe PoR as well?) so it's a matter of whether you prefer fast fliers or strong fliers.

Wyverns are only without the arrow weakness in RD. They're weak to them in every other game, including PoR.

I like Peg knights more than Wyvern knights, personally. Yeah, they're a little squishy, but you get the wyverns so late, save for Jill (in both Tellius games). By that time, I've already got decent enough Peg knights. I also have horse bias. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Fe1: Sheeda is a decent unit, but is rendered obsolete by Minerva.

Fe2: Falcon Knights are on absolute steroids since they do effective damage to monsters.

Fe3 B1: Sheeda is still pretty good, but again is rendered obsolete by Minerva.

Fe3 B2: Catria & Paula are godlike, they carry the entire second book, so they are amazing here.

Fe4: Canto solves many of the problems pegasus knights have, with Fury & Fee/Femina being able to move out of range of archers and the like after attacking, so they are pretty good in this game.

Fe5: Pegasus Knights are pretty weak in Thracia 776 due to dismounting being a thing in-door, but Karin is still pretty useful in some maps.

Fe6: Thany sucks, Tate is good, but she doesn’t show up until later, and again a red-headed lady completely obsoletes any fliers you might have when she shows up.

Fe7: Florina is good, but difficult to train, and Fe7’s early-game is crawling with axes and archers.

Fe8: Everything is overpowered in Fe8.

Fe9: Jill & Haar laughs at your stupid winged ponies.

Fe10: See Fe9

Fe11: Sheeda is amazing in this game, wing spear rules all.

Fe12: See Fe11.

Fe13: Pegasus Knights return to being pretty lackluster.

Fe14: Nothing much changed.

It seems like we're specifically talking GBA onwards, so I won't elaborate on my Fury/Fee bias here.

On the topic of the GBA Horsebirds, it all depends on how you play the game. If you're looking for a unit that will mow down enemies and solo maps, you're looking at the wrong unit type. Farina and Tana excluded, the GBA Pegasus Knights are not known for their strength. Instead they all have ridiculous Speed growths and are able to dodge with ease when they're wielding anything that's not heavier than a feather. Even when weighed down, they usually have enough attack speed to at least not get doubled, and will still double slower enemies without risking being hit much. If you're looking to shave turns, these are your gals. They have superior mobility with no penalties, whereas Cavaliers suffer penalties in forests, rain, and deserts. Flyers do suffer rain penalty but, if I recall, they are able to move one extra space that land horses cannot. If you have a strong horse unit (Marcus, Seth, Franz, Sain, Kent, etc...) they can mow down the enemies while your horsebird carries your Lord to a quick seize.

The fliers in the 3DS games are pretty underwhelming. Especially in Awakening. Peg Knights were way too frail. Wyvern Riders... you poor flying lizards... Getting blown away all the time.

Wyvern Riders are better than Sky Knights in FE14, but Sky Knights aren't that bad unlike in FE13, just overshadowed. The Dragons got better skills in their class. Savage Blow/Lunge/Trample. Although Darting Blow and Air superiority are good skills, the flying lizards got it better. Also the wind magic weakness is pretty much gone because the only tome that can do that is a S ranked tome. Peg Knights still have to deal with Arrows, and Beserkers got buffed as well.

Fe2: Falcon Knights are on absolute steroids since they do effective damage to monsters.

Fe3 B2: Catria & Paula are godlike, they carry the entire second book, so they are amazing here.

Fe4: Canto solves many of the problems pegasus knights have, with Fury & Fee/Femina being able to move out of range of archers and the like after attacking, so they are pretty good in this game.

Fe5: Pegasus Knights are pretty weak in Thracia 776 due to dismounting being a thing in-door, but Karin is still pretty useful in some maps.

Fe6: Thany sucks, Tate is good, but she doesn’t show up until later, and again a red-headed lady completely obsoletes any fliers you might have when she shows up.

Fe7: Florina is good, but difficult to train, and Fe7’s early-game is crawling with axes and archers.

I disagree on Awakening and Fates' Peg Knights being lackluster. Like in FE8, everyone in Awskening is OP, with Chrom! Cynthia being actually powerful due to Aether.

And in Fates, Hinoka was MVP for my Birthright run and Falcon and Kinshi Knights dominate PVP. I'll admit that Subaki is pretty underwhelming, though.

I don't know what's with the claims that Pegasus knights in the 3DS games were lackluster, because to be blunt, I think they're BS. Also, I'm not sure how easy it is to compare pegasi and wyverns in Fates due to the whole exclusivity thing going on (you only get one wyvern in BR, and you don't get any pegasi in CQ short of reclassing... that is, unless you marry off Azura).

Anyways, I personally prefer pegasi over wyverns for the reasons that Ana and Sage stated.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Wasn't Linde the best unit in FE3 B2?

I love peg knights and the ones in GBA are pretty great. Well, i never did have a lot of luck with the ones in fe6 though, and Miledy is just a goddess (wyvern). The ones in fe7 and fe8 are gr9. Pegs in Tellius are great too. FE13s were pretty good and freaking GALEFORCE. FE14 though, they are a bit lackluster in comparison. And i think this is because bows are way more of a thing and their skills just arent as cool this time around. In Awakening, Falcon Knight got Lancefaire which is wiggy. Lancefaire goes to Spear Fighter classes in Fates, and Falcon Knight is stuck with...Warding Blow. Which is stupidly situational and ehh. And Dark Flier this time around is DLC.

I disagree that Fates's Sky Knights are bad. They can actually TAKE HITS. Subaki especially. He's quite tanky for his class and I was able to use him to wall things sometimes. Hinoka isn't as defensive, but she has enough defense to take more than two hits anyway.

I will admit that there are a lot more bows to face this time around though, so that does kinda hurt them.

I disagree that Fates's Sky Knights are bad. They can actually TAKE HITS. Subaki especially. He's quite tanky for his class and I was able to use him to wall things sometimes. Hinoka isn't as defensive, but she has enough defense to take more than two hits anyway.

I will admit that there are a lot more bows to face this time around though, so that does kinda hurt them.

Speaking from my own perspective, Tsubaki is generally the exemption to the general rule being a slow pegasus rider with pretty good defenses. While flyers always have utility, the increase in bow Mt means you have to be more careful than ever. Wyvern knights always have more defense on average so while they'll both die, wyvern riders are less likely to die when hit in comparison.

To be honest, I've never taken a shine for the pegasus class until Tsubaki came around and since he's not your standard pegasus knight, I'm not sure if I'll like them anymore in the next FE installment. They're pretty solid class nonetheless but in my eyes, I just think they have the availability advantage due to wyverns always being part of the enemy countries which they defect from.

Edited by Raguna

In general I like using pegasus knights in each FE game except for FE6 for several reasons:

First issue is that FE6 is sword emblem because the accuracy of axes and lances is nerfed.

Second problem is the con system for the weapon weight. Thany can't do any damage with her slim lance after a few chapters. And with the iron lance she loses so much speed that she can't do double anymore and has hit issues.

Tate's more useful because of her higher con and hard mode boosts. But nevertheless she'll be outclassed by Miledy.

Marcia > Haar

And Tanith joins with good bases, has A in swords and gives Oscar and herself +30% evasion with a support with him.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

Pfft Haar is invincible, in FE 10 he's not weak to arrows, he hits like a truck, most of the times takes no damage, AND has a fast support with Jill, who is arguibly the best character in the game.

Edited by Glacoe

In general I like using pegasus knights in each FE game except for FE6 for several reasons.

First issue is that FE6 is sword emblem because the accuracy axes and lances is nerfed.

Second problem is the con system for the weapon weight. Thany can't do any damage with her slim lance after a few chapters. And with the iron lance she loses so much speed that she can't do double anymore and has hit issues.

Tate's more useful because of her higher con and hard mode boosts. But nevertheless she'll be outclassed by Miledy.

Marcia > Haar

And Tanith joins with good bases and A in swords.

Tanith also has the wonderful ability to summon canon fodder.

Generally, Pegasus Knights are top tier in speedrun settings. That's not empty boasting as it's been proven. And in FE8, 11, and 12, Pegasus Knights can promote to Wyvern Knights/Dracoknights.

Awakening introduces Galeforce. In many Eugenics Emblem playthroughs, Galeforce is at least considered for inheritance, if not guaranteed, and is often a deciding factor for a couple pairings.

Fates' Pegasus Knights have excellent Resistance and Luck stats and Warding Blow skill from Falcon Knights. They can also go Kinshi Knights for aerial bow shenanigans. Hinoka and Subaki feel surprisingly tanky, especially with the Guard Naginata equipped. Skill buying allows for more ready access to skills like Bowbreaker and Aegis. Wing Shield skill could eventually be released and can be seen as a straight upgrade to Awakening's Iote's Shield skill (Wing Shield nullifies flying weakness and allows flying unit to receive terrain effects).

Edited by Roflolxp54