The Golden Age. Act 1: Discoveries.

riariadne

Aria's wonder at those around her turned around very quickly with the magical exchange. "Nooo! Stop fighting, everyone," she spoke with sadness. Raz's request sounded reasonable to her and she headed over towards Kaya, but not before thwacking Kolmar with her staff at his comment at the other two women. "No time to joke about that!"

She approached the prophet, healing her and then kneeling down to treat Telmara quickly after. "No more of that, or I won't heal you!"

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Words are fine?" she muttered, looking at Raz with hurt, scornful eyes. "Okay. You want my words, you want to know what's going on? I used to be human," she bit out, straightening out her back and scowling at the ground as her eyes searched for something to be mad at that wasn't herself. "I was a professor in Jotun. I had a life. I had colleagues, I had friends, I had students and classes and seminars and... And now it's all gone..." She put her face in her hands for a moment before tearing them away and directing her ireful eyes at them. "I took a trip to the Grunan region, twenty years ago! Twenty years!"

"All I wanted was to explore, to discover new magic, but I fell asleep, and I just, I... I just... I wake up like this. My legs are gone. I've got a tail. I've got scales, my ears are weird, my hands are claws, these stupid, foreign limbs attached to my shoulders...!"

"I meet a man named Regus, he tells me he's never seen this before despite having lived there for years... And that I'm six years older, of all things. I lose, I-I lose everything, I'm twenty years in the future, and top it all off with six years being shaved off of my life? For what!?" She shrieked the last part, grabbing at her head again as the thought of all of it combined with everything that had just happened. She started to panic, her eyes going wide, shrinking and staring wide eyed at the ground.

"And then you... You waltz in here, p-preaching about the Dragons, the Dragons are so good, they're so wonderful... I'm a prophet of the Dragons, I've got them all over, me...! Look at what your dragons did to me! They created this world; they created this! And now I have nothing! No life, no home, my magic doesn't even work like it used to work and people try to kill me, just because I exist!!" She started hyperventilating, shrinking further, not letting herself cry-- you've cried enough, this fate doesn't deserve another damn tear!

It took a few seconds for her to finally calm down, placing a hand back onto her tome, squeezing it tight. "I"m sorry," she croaked, trying to hide without any place to, "but it's all... It's all getting to me, okay? There you have it. That's my big secret... And I can't deal with it anymore. Not between Haley, in her insane attempts to kill me... And you, praising your dragons for your visions like they're such wonderful beings... I can't..."

Joviana's eyes widened as she saw telmara send blades of wind at Kaya. The situation was escalating quickly, for no apparent reason. Who are these people? First, its Kolmar, with his lack of decency, then its Aaron, with his delusion, and now its this...person with tantrums! I knew I shouldn't have left the life of a hermit, that was so much easier!

Luckily for her, Aria healed her just as the events were unfolding. At least I'm ready for it, if she tries to attack me. "Thank you, Aria." she muttered, before clearing her throat and addressing the group, "We shouldn't be fighting amongst ourselves after that battle we had just now. I agree with the Masked One, we need to set camp as soon as possible. I can definitely help out with that. A few moments, if you will."

She quickly ran towards the spot where the Greatforger had reacted earlier, a special light still emanating from the woods. "Perfect. The Greatforger is glowing again. I'm going to regret this, but I suppose I have no choice now. Better to trust these people than leave things as they are and have more enemies come after me." With that, she brought the gift close to the source of light.

Kolmar arched an eyebrow as Joviana ran off to. . .somewhere. Rather than give Aria a proper response, he stuck his tongue out at her, much like how he'd done when one of his older brothers smacked him over the head for something-or-other. He then turned to Telmara, and sighed. "We've all got our pasts, some rosier than others. But that ain't important right now, 'cause we're out in the open, an' we know that not everyone's gonna greet us with open arms and a free meal. Bein' a professor must've had its perks, like knowin' more than your average adventurer. Unless whatever hit ya scrambled your memories, you've got somethin' else to contribute. So rather than lookin' at what should've been, or how crappy things look now, figure out what you DO have, an' hold on to that. It's gotta serve you better than feelin' sorry for yourself, over somethin' that you had no control over." He sighed. When did I start sounding like my old man?

The Greatforger is already with us? Intesting. He supposed that it did make sense, considering that any other magic he knew would hardly be enough to form a damn river. Apparently the snake woman had been human too - that was an important detail to keep in mind, perhaps there would be a way to use it later.

He didn't have long to dwell on that thought though, with Kaya revealing... a hell of a lot about herself. Dreams of the future; blessings of dragons; and perhaps most importantly confirmation of the Fire Emblem's existence. I am so close. The childish part of him wanted to break into a grin, but he kept his features cold, and listened further to what she had to say until Telmara interjected.

This was definitely not a normal day, Aaron realised, as he watched the twin dragons strike down the snake. He was almost stunned for the duration of the fight, uncertain of when or even how to intervene here. It would be good to quell the infighting before it escalated again, even if Telmara's anger was still on the rise. He eventually stepped forwards, after his long silence, and spoke directly to the demi-human. "Destiny works in mysterious ways." he began, hurriedly planning his words in his head. "Perhaps the journey is difficult, and feel as though your struggles are pointless. But you must never lose sight of your destination." His gaze fell to the Lionheart, and he toyed with it in his hand lazily. "If you ever want to regain your humanity, you would do well to remember that."

That had been more feelings put out through words than Raz had prepared herself to. She fliched slightly as Telmara's voice rose to a shriek, thinking the woman to have another outburst... but she held herself back and curled again. "I-I see, I think I get it, a bit..."

Aaron was quicker than Raz to give advice, but not some the explorer thought Telmara would take well, she slowly moved a hand towards Telmara's, trying to be supportive, but not invasive on private space. "If... if you go with us, then maybe we'll find about how to reverse it, or how this even happened to you. If not the Gifts, then whatever magic did this to you must have an explanation. Maybe a way to reverse it?" Raz looked down to the floor, a bit hesitant to see if the snake lady's mood improved or worsened over that. "If anything, we might travel around a bit, so that improves your chances, right? As long as you're fine with it, of course..."

Kaya stared at Telmara, and slowly fell-sat down against the tree, stunned at what she was hearing. "I... I'm sorry Telmara. If I'd known... I can't tell you why you've had this experience. And I'm not going to claim that it's a good reason or anything like that. Although I believe that my powers come from the Dragons, that doesn't mean that I believe they will always do the right thing for an individual. I... I will do whatever I can to find a way to turn you back though."

She didn't know what else to say. There wasn't anything else to say really. She just hoped that maybe they would find a way to get her back to her human form.

There were the responses she'd expected. Just go along with it, there's a reason for it, you've got to make do with what you have. Just ignore that your life had been wrenched away from you for no reason. No explained reason other than 'a wizard did it'. Or not even a wizard. The world had seen fit to remove her status. She wanted to lash out at Kolmar and Aaron, but also to disappear at the same time, never be seen again. Every group reacted like this. If they let her remain with them until the bomb was dropped, it was scoffed at, mocked, or shrugged off. No one really cared. Why would they? She was a stranger, now even stranger, and not a soul knew of her or what--

But what was this? Pity? Sorrow for her situation? "What?" Raz was asking her if she was fine with it. "What do you care?" Stop it... "I'm just... Going to be a burden." Even Kaya offered her pity, the Dragon's own prophet. Telmara's stomach sank. Why do you push these ones away? The only ones to have gone so far, for you? Despite your looks, despite how you've acted... Just say yes. Just say yes! Say it! Say yes already you idiot! You're not going to find another group like this! "I... Okay." She managed it, looking up at Raz, staring at her. Her scowl finally rose up, looking for an answer on the girl's face.

"Is it really... Okay? Even after this...?"

Raz scratched her cheek as Telmara questioned her back. "I... just do, shouldn't I? You told your story, it can't have been easy." Telmara felt wronged by fate, but it wasn't a tale lost to empathy. She must be feeling so alone, I get that much. I don't really understand it, but I get it... She just continued to hold the demihuman's hand.

"Well... we're all strangers here, but partners. You had an argument, you fought, but none of you are seriously injured, I'd say it's okay." Raz shrugged, "Do you think otherwise? Was that you making Kaya your sworn enemy, or something?"

The Greatforger reacted once again to the area around it, shimmering a bright green. The same glow enveloped the river, the world seemed to rumble, and finally with a sudden clap it was over. As soon as the light faded, there was no longer a river present- and no signs that one ever existed in this location at all. The road and grass was repaired completely back to normal.

"Ah, it's gone!" Aria exclaimed the rather obvious fact. She looked around, seeing no immediate cause, but noting that someone seemed to be missing. Hm, but I don't know who. I'm not familiar with everyone yet...

"Telmara, if we were not fine with you, would we not have thrown you away the first time you asked us to? You've given us ample opportunity, if that was what we desired." Mikhaila chimed in, looking at where the river had once stood, as it was whisked away in a wash of light, gone as abruptly as it had first arrived.

"Look at that, yeah? That immense magical presence... the Greatforger. You say you've never see my talismans before, were clearly surprised by Kaya's magic... is this not a haven for an exploratory mind like yours should be? I'm sure you've plenty to teach all of us, as well."

Kaya nodded in agreement with Mika. "Exactly. We knew what we were getting into and we still invited you." She stood up with a stretch and a yawn as she glanced at the changing terrain and mentally chuckled slightly. If she thinks she's being subtle, she must not understand just how flashy that tool is...

And then her world flickered. And spun. And then turned dark. She collapsed, her eyes open blankly staring up at the sky, her breath shallow.

Edited by scorri

It was oddly comforting to have her hand held like this, as much as it made her feel like a child. She didn't like that part. Her claw quickly tugged itself away from Raz, but she nodded, sniffling back the last of her self pity. "No, that would be foolish... More than foolish. Foolish was attacking her in the first place..." Yet somehow, the prophetess didn't hate her for it. The talisman gi-- M-Mikhaila, spoke up, providing her with the logic she needed, even if she felt they were making a mistake.

And the discoveries, not even her anxiety could shy her away from this want-- this purse urge to explore and understand how the Talismans worked, how Kaya's dragons were formed, and most of all-- "It's Jovianna..." Telmara had been scanning while considering what Mikhaila had said, and she was the only one not present, anymore. That didn't matter very much, but it was good to keep note of. The thing that mattered, ohh, yes, the gorgeous flow of magic as the land turned from water to dirt in a matter of moments, everything reforming to how it was. A spectacle to behold, a treat for the eyes; and for a mage? Purely exquisite.

"You... You are right, unfortunately... There is too much here that I don't know. And... In exchange for putting up with my immaturity and panic, I would like to offer what I know to Raz. I saw your spell... You're an amateur, but you have potential. Light magic isn't my degree... But it's still something I studied. I'll do... Wh-What I can, uhm... P-Partner."

Attention had to be paid elsewhere; Kaya had collapsed, Telmara panicking anew. "D-Did I hit her too hard? Is she okay...!?" She looked at Aria, their other healer, the small girl who had bumped into her. "G-Go check!" What are you waiting for!? If I did this, then don't wait on it! I didn't think I was that strong, but in my anger, maybe I... Don't. Just... "Please..."

Edited by Narmaya

Aaron was about to speak up and reassure Telmara, when the river disappeared in a brilliant green light. The landscape returned to its former state, filling him with determination. My path is clear. The Greatforger was here. The Fire Emblem would be found. He was ready.

At least, that was what he was thinking before Kaya's collapse. Aaron moved to her side immediately, hurriedly checking for a pulse on her wrist. "She's still breathing." He announced, eyes still fixed on the dragon's chosen one. As far as he could see, Aria's healing had been successful and there was no permanent damage, which was something at least. Even if it didn't tell him very much.

"Perhaps this is just... because of her powers." he reasoned, to no one in particular. That made sense to Aaron - as much as the rest of the information he knew about the tattooed dragon summoning priestess did, anyway. "Regardless, we should look to move on. We need to set up camp before the light fades." He faced the rest of the group, but remained crouched next to Kaya.

Someone was going to have to carry her, just like someone else would have to take control while she was unconscious. And who better to lead than a king?

Edited by SB.

That's the first intelligent thing I've heard him say. Ever the salesman, Kolmar did his best to keep his expression neutral. "Do we really wanna be near all these corpses? They're gonna attract the nastier animals. Also, we're short a member. Gotta wait for her to come back before decidin' on where to go."

Kaya suddenly flinched as her breathing returned to normal and her eyes closed for a few seconds before opening again. She looked up and saw Aaron crouched over her and the others looking worried. "I... Where's Jovianna? What happened? That was..."

She took a deep breath and sat up. "I don't know why but I just had a vision. I don't know why or even what it meant or any of that but that's what happened. There were seven people. Myself included. We were on a cliff. A golden claw was grasping the edge. And that laugh..." She shuddered. The laugh had been anything but pleasant and just made the already confusing situation worse. Her visions had always been dreams. This was new. And worrying if they were just coming whenever they wanted. Unless maybe it had been triggered by the Greatforger... After all Jovianna had been there holding the hammer... Still, why wouldn't it have been triggered by it the first fine if that was the case? She didn't have enough information but that didn't mean she wouldn't try and figure as much out as she could.

Aaron backed away from Kaya in order to give her space, slightly miffed that his chance to prove himself had been cut short - although he did his best to not let it show. "I'm afraid I have no clue what to make of that." he replied, flatly. Sure, he could believe in destiny and prophecies, but that didn't mean that he understood any of it. "There will be time to consider it later. Are you well?" he asked, a twinge of concern in his voice. If Kaya was alright, they would do best to not dwell here any longer.

Aria hid back behind her robes when Telmara raised her voice at her, moving her staff over to Kaya for a bit. "I c-can't do anything, she's not hurt in a way I can heal," she explained. Fortunately her confusion was brief, as Kaya's recovery was swift. "Oh, thank goodness you're okay... but I thought you said your visions don't happen other than once a year. Are you okay, Kaya?" She was too timid to voice anything about whether or not to set up camp, deciding to leave that decision to others.

Kaya rubbed a hand across her face and shook her head. "I don't know. I mean, I feel fine. But that was just completely unexpected. It's as you say Aria. And I've only ever had visions in dreams. Dreamer." She rested her hand on the small staff at her waist. Standing up slowly, she tested her balance before letting out a breath. "Ok. I seem to be ok. I'll just need to be prepared for something like that to happen in the future I guess. And maybe try to find a woman I met a few days before finding you all. She knew some about my powers and might know something to help me."

She took a few steps and then glanced around. "Once Jovianna gets back, we should move a bit further away and then set up camp for the night. We've all had a bit of a rough day, some more than most, and it would do well for us to rest sooner rather than later. But we shouldn't be camping near all these bodies. Does anyone have anything else to do here?"

Joviana watched silently as the Greatforger shimmered a bright green, and the earth began to rumble. She turned around to see the river glow the same, and within seconds, it was finished. The river had disappeared, and the light faded. Well, I hope these people get used to this being regular...I'm sure we'll need it many a time in the future.

When Joviana arrived at the place where the group was, she observed that people were gathering around her. What happened now? Did that snake woman do something again?

"Sorry to interrupt all of you, but, did I miss something?"she asked awkwardly, feeling more uncomfortable about the situation that she had walked into.

"Yeah. We were gonna make a meal of the corpses," Kolmar replied, voice full of sarcasm. "Actually, nah. Just decided we were gonna move somewhere else to set up camp. The others can fill you in on the rest."

Kaya had stirred, letting Telmara breathe easy. She's fine, then... As fine as she can be. I hope these visions of hers aren't going to become a constant. If she collapsed like that in a fight... We already have to keep her safe because she's a healer, but if she's not even awake to protect herself with her dragons... A quiet sigh. Things were... Okay. These people accepted her, even if she was a creature now, even if she was harsh; Kaya accepted her, even if she had just attacked her in a panic.

Would that trust stay? It felt forced, right now. Not on her end. She was finally beginning to trust these people, despite her mind telling her not to. At the first sign of betrayal, it would probably convince her, but for now, with the kind girl in front of her and everyone else trying their best to cheer up her in her little moment... It was a good sign.

"Nothing, Jovianna... We should all make camp away from here before any other groups show. Kaya, a-are you well enough to lead us?" There would be plenty of time to ask about her vision, and plenty of time to confront Jovianna. Now, they just needed shelter, and soon. Evening was beginning to come upon them, and corpse didn't make a good bed.

Now... While she waited for that... She was an adult, but, with Raz stood so close to her... She didn't want to lose the chance. She gently snuck her hand into Raz' again, clinging to it gently. "I wouldn't... M-Mind if you, uh... Let me do this, for a while."

Itzal stood at the end of the group, at the stretched-edge of a cluster, looking out over the dead bodies. He made out the corpse of the one bandit he flayed and skewered, his blade forcing its way through his torso and upward, his eyes alight in the flames of his rush. It was not unfamiliar to him. With the river gone he could see everything again now; the man behind the man he slew, the torn mage robes, the animosity that still leaked from their dead opponents--it was the art on the field before him now. He sighed and broke himself from the trance. He would have to polish his swords after talking out with the others. He had not yet spoken to... the ones beside the demihumans, that spoke like scholars. It seemed they would be guides of some sort. Their behavior before and even during the skirmish seemed to build a wall about that theory. He squinted his eyes as he carried himself back towards the team.

"Hey," he said, amidst the discussion, "I'm still set on tagging behind you all, if you don't mind." He rubbed his left temple. "I didn't have the opportunity to introduce myself to everyone before the... altercation, but I'm Itzal. I'm good with swords and at lifting heavy things." And screaming, he imagined some of them would add, but for now he would try to put that... tantrum behind him.

There was a scare for a moment, as Kaya collapsed, but it seemed to be nothing more than her having one of the visions she had mentioned... it seemed odd based on what she had said, but Mikhaila herself had nothing to add, really. The current conflict seemed to be over for the time being, Kaya was back up, Telmara had calmed down a tad.

"I mean, we don't really need someone to lead us right this moment, unless we're planning to do more than move away from the corpses and set up camp, which I wouldn't advise."