The Golden Age. Act 1: Discoveries.

riariadne

"Nothing wrong with pears..." She didn't want to just start picking at the boar with her claws, that might upset some of the group; who wanted a lizard picking at their food? She pulled a pack out from underneath her cloak, a bowl, knife and a fork coming out of it. She'd probably get a weird look for trying to eat so properly at a fire pit like this, but she didn't wanna bother anyone. Slicing off a chunk for herself, and taking Kolmar's advice to apply his decently good looking sauce, she sat herself as close as she could to the fire without obstructing space for people, and started to poke at it.

"Wow... You're a decent cook, huh. No spices hiding around here, but, for campfire boar, it's good." Lucky for her, this new body didn't seem to require much more than her older one did, so she wouldn't get greedy with what little food they had. "Not that I... Thought you were only good at fighting, you're just... Gruff. Cooking's more, er... Refined. Yeah. Sorry..." Good first impressions, good second impressions... You're a real winner, aren't you, Telmara?

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kolmar let out a hearty laugh. "I'm a man, not a pig, so I ain't gonna feed myself slop. Gotta eat well to fight well and all." His oldest sister, Merian, had run home with the recipe, supposedly from her boyfriend's family. The first time ma made it, the sauce was so sweet that the three brats fought over it. Wasn't fun cleanin' up after that food fight. "I've met way too many men that think that cookin's beneath 'em, and they're the first to starve. I don't like killin' the bacon and havin' to cook it afterwards, an' I never met a lady who'd rather hunt than cook," he continued.

It had been a hard rule at his house that the hunting, cooking, and cleaning had to be done, and no one was allowed to do more than one of those tasks a day. Elzan almost always chose to hunt, and since he was the oldest, he got his way. Once he'd moved out, the hunting had been split between his older brother and himself, with prissy Merian either in the kitchen or cleaning up (depending on whether or not she put on her "good clothes", as she called it). The four youngest weren't trustworthy enough to leave the town, so they either helped in the kitchen, or threw up all over ma's clothes (though little Mauri had an excuse, being all of two years old). Though Kolmar was loathe to admit it, his parent's ground rules for the kitchen were damn useful out in the wild.

"When was the last time someone cooked for ya?" Kolmar wondered idly. "I'm sure a small smile and a giggle could convince the average guy to buy you food, but that ain't the same as havin' him make it for ya." She could then strangle the guy with her tail, ensuring that he'd never cook for anyone else again.

Telmara gave him a cautious, but curious eye as he spoke of his opinions on cooking. "Anyone who thinks cooking is beneath them is silly." That was her only opinion on it, as she tore into a piece of her portion. It was good, decidedly unspiced, but cooked well enough, and his makeshift glaze made it more than edible. I'd cook if... Never mind, don't dwell on it. Telmara's realization of just how much she'd put into her magic was making her feel ill equipped to even be out here, right now.

"The last time someone cooked for me? No one ever has. You're the first, though this isn't really 'for me'. You honestly think A small smile a giggle is going to convince anyone now? I think if I smiled too wide the sight of fangs would scare any curious person off... Not that I'm looking to attract any men." The end of her tail swished gently, as she thought about it. Would there be anyone that would find this sort of thing... Attractive? Even the demihumans that had found her in Grunan had shied away from her. Probably isn't a person in the world weird enough to be interested in scales and tails, haha...

Kaya watched Telmara leave, amused and intrigued by her responses. Attracted to women, huh? She's certainly not hiding anything at all. Kaya smirked slightly, amused at the possibilities presented to her. Her sarcastic inner voice certainly wasn't helping the matter either. Well, I knew this group was going to be interesting. Didn't know just quite how interesting, but this will certainly not be a boring adventure. Not overly hungry at the moment, she settled back down against a tree with her legs crossed, closed her eyes, and once again began to try and decipher the vision she'd had earlier that day.

"Hey, give yourself some credit," Kolmar responded, any hints of hostility going right over his head. "It's not like you have giant horns growing out of your head, or a forked tongue. You got an impressive head of hair, an' your eyes sparkle real pretty." He sighed, pretty sure the demihuman would probably take his words wrong. Oh well. "Even if you ain't lookin' for a man, YOU'RE the one that knows that. Not them. Nor do they need to, if they're the type to latch onto the first pretty lady. Why not use what you got to your advantage?" He watched her tail swish, a small smile on his face. "Y'know, if ya tied a bit of ribbon to your tail, and swished it like that, I bet my little sister would giggle and chase that ribbon for hours."

To act defiant, or even to just correct Kolmar, she hissed at him, her tongue flicking at him to show just how wrong he was. She supposed she couldn't disagree with everything else he'd said. Her hair was nice. Whatever changes had happened to her eyes, she hadn't seen yet, but people had mentioned the golden color to them. Gold was a gorgeous color for eyes, even a bit magical. That was a plus. "One big problem with all of what you're saying," she retorted, tail sliding around far enough to poke his leg, before recoiling back towards her. "You know. The whole lower half of me. Most people are probably scared of something like this... Willing to bet, in some form or another, you thought I'd be able to strangle someone with it, didn't you?"

At least he'd let slip something pleasant, that did cause her to smile, just a bit. "You're out here for your family, then? We'd better do extra careful out there fighting so that someone's big brother can come home again." Family would've been nice... Telmara's parents.. Were they dead, by now? Her mother's health hadn't been great, and she hadn't spoken to her father in quite some time. They'd be... In their sixties, by now...

I wonder what that tongue of hers would feel like. . .ah, there'll be time for that later. "Dunno how happy they'd be to see me. It's been quite a while, an' I don't know if my sisters would remember me. At least the house wouldn't be so noisy, since there'd only be two kids left at home. Maybe three, if Finnley's as lazy as I remember 'em." She didn't have to know that he walked out on his family. As long as the conversation wasn't about her, she seemed happier. Freaky or not, she's a lot more normal-lookin' when she smiles.

Telmara blinked, looked at her tail, then glanced back at him. ...Maybe it's not that bad? He didn't even react. Huh... "I'm sure you bringing one of the world's gifts home would bring a smile to their faces. Let's just get you back there to do it, hmm? Thanks for the food, Kolmar... And sorry for... Being sorry, I guess. Heh." This wouldn't be so bad. The talk with Kaya had gone... Well, it had gone. Mikhaila didn't mind talking to her. Raz was interested in learning magic, and even the gruff fellow didn't think she was awful.

"Heh, no problem," he said mildly. "Though if your gonna be sorry for somethin', it's gotta be that head of hair. Looks like it's perfect to bury my hands in when things get heated." Wait, did I just say that out loud?

She'd almost dropped her bowl, recoiling her tail further, and giving him a nice side eye. "Something tells me you're not going to get that far with me, Kolmar. Thanks for the compliment." Her voice was cold and cutting, staring back at the fire and hoping he wasn't going to make more comments like that, in the future. Aria's right there... Wow. But... I guess it's worth something. Even if it's just him slipping up. Is it weird to take pride in a dirty stranger's comment? Huh... She found herself trying to address how she felt over it more than whether or not outrage was appropriate.

As Telmara slithered off to speak with Kaya, or so it appeared, Mikhaila began to clean up after her ritual absentmindedly, when Raz asked of what it had been. Looking up at the small girl, she began to answer.

"Do you recall the talismans I used in our battle, earlier today? It had been a while since I had made them, and they were running dry of power, so this was a ritual to create more... Telmara seemed interested, and observed the process... though I wonder whether she felt herself more drawn to me, or to the candles I had laid about, if I'm honest." Mikhaila noted, laughing slightly.

Chapter 2: Forest Clash

December 21st, 962. 2:30 PM. In the wilderness of Tauvos, Balor, miles from any city.

The night and next day passed peacefully for the group. Oddly, Naylen seemed to have vanished- there was no explanation given, but perhaps the adventure just hadn't been right for her. Now one less, the group continued on undaunted, no more troubles ailing them until the third day of their journey. Of course, in a perilous journey such as the one they were on, such peace was not to last.

In the afternoon, the nine came across something of an unusual spectacle. The woods around them seemed to thin out strangely, as if parted unnaturally, as they neared a crossroads. Walking towards them was a figure in a strange cloak- it seemed to be red, but it shimmered other colors too as the unknown figure moved. "I sense a great magical power among you," he spoke, the voice unmistakably masculine, as he gestured to Joviana. "An enchanted item, one thought to be lost to the ages... you have the Greatforger, of course. Were you some of the explorers, successful in an expedition already? Or perhaps there may be more to your story." He lowered his hand, turning away from them. "Such a Gift is not suited for hands such as yours, but I doubt any sort of negotiation would be of use."

"... W-what are you even talking about?" Aria spoke up confusedly. "What do you want with us?"

"Such power lost to the ages... it must be reclaimed by time. And so we are at an impasse, one that cannot be solved by words. Martial negotiations speak clear enough of a message to suffice, I believe." With his robes shimmering again, the man vanished further down the road, a tome in hand now. "The tradition of battle, after all, is one that has been known for all of time."

With yet another adversary who appeared impossible to reason with and one less ally to aid them, the group faced its second challenge, one far more arcane than the last.

Objective: Defeat Unknown.

It is Turn 1. Player phase begins.

Nk6SojL.png

--

Spreadsheet.

[spoiler=Still last evening]

Raz smiled, this Mikhaila seemed to have a sense of humor, and something made Raz believe her gut feeling was right. "Yeah, probably. She's been complaining about the cold, but doesn't want to hand out near the fire for some reason. Hope she changes her mind." She shrugged. Telmara had left before Raz could give a proper answer about tutoring, too. Whatever did she need to talk with Kaya? Ah well, I'll just act for tutoring later.

"Well, seems like food's ready, need some help packing up?"

-----

"Mmm..." Raz stood silent while the exchange happened, eyeing the man intently. His gestures, his mannerisms, and the warp spell he'd cast. I think... even if this guy is hiding something, he isn't at the same level...

Raz looked behind her, casting a puzzled glance towards Kaya. "Got any hunch you think we should follow, or...?" It was polite to ask, since she was their technical leader. Raz had a mind to brave getting closer, but that could jeopardize the group.

Edited by Xinnidy

Aaron didn't understand what kind of magic the robed man possessed - only that he was blocking their way. "Whatever manner of magic he has, he's still only one man." Aaron stepped forwards, undetered by the wizard's threats. "If you insist on stopping us, I'm afraid we'll have to remove you."

Aaron to E17

"... He wouldn't move that far away unless he had the ability to attack us from that far or he had something planned. Move forward cautiously and avoid the road. It might be trapped." Kaya moved forward as she spoke, watching the far away cloaked stranger warily.

Kaya moves to D-20, preps first Dragon's Rage charge

"Hey, you black-lipped, ass-munching, lying pile of MONKEY SHIT!" Kolmar yelled across the clearing. "Get your gutless carcass over here, so I can spit-roast it for the vultures!"

Kolmar moves to D17

This had bad news written all over it. He wasn't afraid, per se--but he still had no idea the capabilities nor the strengths of the arcane arts, and this did not... bode well. Everyone else seemed so fired up. But he thought about it again. He seemed to know something about what made the river in the road, and that we possess it, and he's challenging us to a duel... by himself... against our full group... knowing what we are capable of.

He was hesitant to speak--paranoid that he might have some way to listen in on their conversation from afar--but he sighed, eventually. He spoke quietly. "I think... we should be careful not to split apart. I'm worried he might have some way of picking us off individually..." After all, how else was he going to win alone?

Itzal to D18

Joviana gritted her teeth as she listened to the robed person's threats. "Look, everyone. We need to kill him. Not just knock him out, but murder him. Since he knows a lot, he might be able to communicate with other people to attack us, if he gets away that is. Assassins would be after us, just to collect this relic. I...I won't let him live for threatening me!"

Joviana moves to C20.

The night had gone by fast enough, but at least Telmara had been allowed to sleep near the fire, even as it went out. The feeling of warmth in the air stayed around her, for long enough so that she could doze off. She woke up freezing, but quickly managed to heat herself up by having someone start the fire for a little bit. They were moving soon after, but she was thankful for the quick moment. Her tail had needed it. Just a single fire tome... That's all I'm going to need to keep myself warm... Just one. Please, luck be on my side.

----------

Luck had other things in store. And nothing pleasant. Some cloaked man had appeared, accosted them, claimed they held the Greatforger, and sentenced them to death. No no no. That would not do... That was not going to do, at all. "So, we just kill him first, then... Simple." Whatever magic he possessed, how would he be able to deal with all of them? He wouldn't. Strength in numbers. Basic strategy.

Telmara to C19

Edited by Narmaya

"Hmm... alright." With a brief salute, Raz followed Kaya's recommendations, straying slightly from the road and staring at their target, distant as he was.

For a moment, her eyes shifted to the forestation close to the road. I think we'd have caught an ambush by now... I hope sticking close won't be a bad idea.

Raz to F17!

Edited by Xinnidy

Everyone's moves happen and Aria scurries over to G20.

--

begins.

"What foolishness... you underestimate your adversary if you believe I must resort to the cooperation of others. Nor am I a child to be tricked by the spearman's petty insults," the cloaked man spoke. "You lack the decency to even be factual in them. I've not lied to you of my intentions in the slightest. Witness my arcane strength and face against the power of time! Arise, allies."

With a few gestures, ten figures phased into existence before the party's very eyes. They possessed no discerning qualities, clearly not possessing most human traits other than armor, weapons, and the strength and will to use them.

Unknown uses Greater Conjure to summoner ten enemy units.

Having just been summoned, none of them yet possess the strength to move.

It is Turn 2.

begins.

OBTJtDu.png

--

Spreadsheet.

Suddenly soldiers, men, indistinct, perhaps... Not even human? Whatever magic this was, it was otherworldly, but that was no cause to be alarmed. All magic had an explanation... She just didn't know how this one worked. And that was frustrating, not alarming. With her tome in hand, her trusty gusts of wind, she sallied forth before the rest of the group and struck into one of the summoned men!

"To arms, then! Let's see if they bleed...!"

Telmara to H18, attack Soldier A!

Raz's lips curled up into a grin, for a brief moment entranced by the silhouettes brought to 'life'. So that's what he had in mind... Hmm, I've never dealt with something like these before. There was some danger to the situation, especially if the man could summon more just as easily, but hopefully they wouldn't need to retreat before Raz learned a thing or two about these images!

Raz to F16, shoot with iron bow at Fighter A, quickswap to illuminate.