Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

Naga is a bonus unit, so people can take an extra support with them for offense. Also, for people like me, who use Naga to soak chills, it’s easier and I can run better combat skills since I don’t need supportive skills to reach soak thresholds.

But that’s for enemy offense, for you facing defense teams, chalk it up to bad luck.

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

1 hour ago, Thane said:

Weird question, but is anyone finding AR more difficult this week? I've won two fights and then lost all my extra chances and the rest of my Aether. I've gone up against defenses I basically don't have the teams to take down, and for some reason there's always a catapult ready to take down my Shock Tower, and I rarely see catapults otherwise. If this keeps up I'll fall from tier 21 for the first time since I reached it, and that was a while ago. 

I am one of those that has a fully upgraded defense catapult. Its allways nice to place it safe in the back together with Duma. Destroys 100% of the time all Bolt towers, because the offense people allways put it in the 3. or 4. row. In Light sadly its only a 50/50 chance to destroy it since no Duma ._.

Astonishing how much people rely on that Bolt Tower.

7 hours ago, Hilda said:

I am one of those that has a fully upgraded defense catapult. Its allways nice to place it safe in the back together with Duma. Destroys 100% of the time all Bolt towers, because the offense people allways put it in the 3. or 4. row. In Light sadly its only a 50/50 chance to destroy it since no Duma ._.

Astonishing how much people rely on that Bolt Tower.

Same here, though to be fair, BT is by far the best offense structure. I only ever bring that and the bonus structure, because I like keeping those last two spaces empty for positioning nd it is also good to have the space when facing a cav line. 

Bolt tower gives the best value so it is only logical that catapult on defense has value, especially since the structure levels keep rising.

4 hours ago, Vicious Sal said:

Same here, though to be fair, BT is by far the best offense structure. I only ever bring that and the bonus structure, because I like keeping those last two spaces empty for positioning nd it is also good to have the space when facing a cav line. 

Bolt tower gives the best value so it is only logical that catapult on defense has value, especially since the structure levels keep rising.

Huh. Personally I've been avoiding Bolt Tower if I can since lowering enemy HP can be disadvantageous, but thinking back, it doesn't seem like it'd be an issue for the matchups I've been playing. I'll have to try it again.

30 minutes ago, Othin said:

Huh. Personally I've been avoiding Bolt Tower if I can since lowering enemy HP can be disadvantageous, but thinking back, it doesn't seem like it'd be an issue for the matchups I've been playing. I'll have to try it again.

Depends on your preferences and team set ups.

After playing without Structures (O) for a long while, I now prefer an empty back line for consistency and flexibility, and as a defense against cavline and certain defense team composition. I leave my middle two space and the second leftmost space empty, and I would get rid of the bonus Structure (O) too if it did not affect my stats so I can free up more space. I generally do not have to worry about my Structure (O) messing up whatever strategy I choose to use or accidentally helping the defense team, unless it is a Shrine (O) since shoving that into a corner does not really stop it from working, or Healing Tower (O) as that stupid thing has a massive healing range.

I use BH!Ike almost exclusively now, so Structures (O) do not have much impact anymore, but I would still like the option to use my player phase team if I want to. Maybe I am just paranoid, but feels like almost every Structure (O) has a chance of ruining my player phase play by either triggering Restore traps or Wings of Mercy. Duo's Indulgence (O) is my favorite since it cannot do anything to help the defense team.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

- I use Eirforce and LynForce a lot, which trivialise most maps. Eir and Lyn have Hardy bearing and savage blow so that I can still engage even on vantage units after bolt tower. My Eirforce consists of: Nailah/Velouria/Peony/Eir/Bonus Askr (Smite, Link, IP and Panic Ploy), Astra uses Duo!Lyn/H!tiki/Plumeria/Altina/Bonus Askr.

I also use Ranged tanks like Spendthrift Norne and Brunnya with triple mythic a lot, after that I have niche teams.

I don't have any "end turn" teams that require the unit to be placed at the edge of the threat range. Instead I run the following: 

I have hit and run team for each season, one is Peony+Leila, but it's not optimal since I don't have Disarm trap yet on Leila. On Astra a combination of S!Mia and Leanne works. I can't remember when the last time was that I used either, but sometimes a map pops up that they can tackle quite well.

Then we have CC Vantage comps, which are a go to if the map has no counters. Light has Jeorge and Duo!Micaiah, Jeorge with his DMG reduction can tank Bramimond just fine and it allows safe entry into vantage even without bolt traps. Astra has Kronya with one Duo!Hector. It's less useful than before, but still there are maps that just get wrecked easily by CC vantage so every now and then the teams see use. they are just very good vs what they are supposed to be good versus. Not much else.

Last teams are ACL's, anti cal line. Both have Duo Micaiah(One +10, one unmerged) Astra also has F!lyon with TA and QR, dark has B!Edelgard or B!Micaiah, it depends. They are there solely to counter can lines, which so far I have not seen often. 

All these teams, aside from the ACL teams, appreciate bolt tower. Eirforce can engage more easily, Ranged tanks can snipe a unit without damage and then end turn in range of everything. Hit and Run can bait units out and then make sure the BT hits as many as possible. CC vantage loves any and all damage, especially Kronya. Only All doesn't benefit much from BT, though it can help with cleanup.

As for all the other Offence structures, which I have listed in order of usefulness in my opinion:

- Escape Ladder and Fort are a given, though I always remove EL if it has no ladder left.

- Bolt tower is the best structure after the required ones above, mainly because of its reach, value  and the fact that defense maps are forced to build around it. It's why you pretty much always see Duma's in lane ¾ and catapult in the other during astra. Bolt tower also works only turn 3, which allows you to plan ahead and manoeuvre units in a certain way. It can even mess up restore maps if you know the AI well enough.

(Everything below here I just don't field and don't upgrade at all anymore, though I have listed them since they rotate as bonus structures)

- Healing tower might be useful if you don't use stuff like desperation on your offence. I used mine until Cav lines became popular since a lvl 2 HT would cancel out two duma's However, Brunnya, who is my Astra carry, has a weapon that activates if she's at <100 % Hp, so I don't care about the HT anymore.

- Duo's indulgence and Catapult offer occasional use, but it's not game changing in any way. Catapult might even hinder you at times by sniping a bolt tower that could be used to get into WoM range. At least these do not affect the enemy's stats.

- Tactics room has only one lane wide range, which is good. It might help vs a cav line, but it can also trigger restore traps. So usually I place in lane 6, since that's where Cav's are for cav lines, but usually no other teams that feature restore, since they want the middle for maximum range. When it is a bonus, lane 6 provides the most possible help while mimimzing risk.

- Panic manor and schools suck ass. 3 columns worth of range means they almost always activate a restore. never field these.

- Shrines are arguably even worse, they have global range, but only target 1 unit. This might be a unit that is boxed in and thus not in reach of the restore unit, but most often they target a frontline unit and give the restore trap exactly what they want. And the only alternative is not using a bonus structure, which is also a bad choice. So I place them when needed and take the risk, but I never upgrade any of these buildings since it just is not worth it. Being forced to activate the trap that your opponent designed is hard to play against, since it happens turn one and sometimes that means you can't properly set up your units. 

Conclusion: Fort/x/BT/Bonus/X/Ladder, if ladders are gone, place bonus in corner. If bonus is a school or manor, switch with ladder. If bonus is shrine, place lane 3 or 4 and hope they get catapulted.

4 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

- I use Eirforce and LynForce a lot, which trivialise most maps. Eir and Lyn have Hardy bearing and savage blow so that I can still engage even on vantage units after bolt tower. My Eirforce consists of: Nailah/Velouria/Peony/Eir/Bonus Askr (Smite, Link, IP and Panic Ploy), Astra uses Duo!Lyn/H!tiki/Plumeria/Altina/Bonus Askr.

I also use Ranged tanks like Spendthrift Norne and Brunnya with triple mythic a lot, after that I have niche teams.

I don't have any "end turn" teams that require the unit to be placed at the edge of the threat range. Instead I run the following: 

I have hit and run team for each season, one is Peony+Leila, but it's not optimal since I don't have Disarm trap yet on Leila. On Astra a combination of S!Mia and Leanne works. I can't remember when the last time was that I used either, but sometimes a map pops up that they can tackle quite well.

Then we have CC Vantage comps, which are a go to if the map has no counters. Light has Jeorge and Duo!Micaiah, Jeorge with his DMG reduction can tank Bramimond just fine and it allows safe entry into vantage even without bolt traps. Astra has Kronya with one Duo!Hector. It's less useful than before, but still there are maps that just get wrecked easily by CC vantage so every now and then the teams see use. they are just very good vs what they are supposed to be good versus. Not much else.

Last teams are ACL's, anti cal line. Both have Duo Micaiah(One +10, one unmerged) Astra also has F!lyon with TA and QR, dark has B!Edelgard or B!Micaiah, it depends. They are there solely to counter can lines, which so far I have not seen often. 

All these teams, aside from the ACL teams, appreciate bolt tower. Eirforce can engage more easily, Ranged tanks can snipe a unit without damage and then end turn in range of everything. Hit and Run can bait units out and then make sure the BT hits as many as possible. CC vantage loves any and all damage, especially Kronya. Only All doesn't benefit much from BT, though it can help with cleanup.

As for all the other Offence structures, which I have listed in order of usefulness in my opinion:

- Escape Ladder and Fort are a given, though I always remove EL if it has no ladder left.

- Bolt tower is the best structure after the required ones above, mainly because of its reach, value  and the fact that defense maps are forced to build around it. It's why you pretty much always see Duma's in lane ¾ and catapult in the other during astra. Bolt tower also works only turn 3, which allows you to plan ahead and manoeuvre units in a certain way. It can even mess up restore maps if you know the AI well enough.

(Everything below here I just don't field and don't upgrade at all anymore, though I have listed them since they rotate as bonus structures)

- Healing tower might be useful if you don't use stuff like desperation on your offence. I used mine until Cav lines became popular since a lvl 2 HT would cancel out two duma's However, Brunnya, who is my Astra carry, has a weapon that activates if she's at <100 % Hp, so I don't care about the HT anymore.

- Duo's indulgence and Catapult offer occasional use, but it's not game changing in any way. Catapult might even hinder you at times by sniping a bolt tower that could be used to get into WoM range. At least these do not affect the enemy's stats.

- Tactics room has only one lane wide range, which is good. It might help vs a cav line, but it can also trigger restore traps. So usually I place in lane 6, since that's where Cav's are for cav lines, but usually no other teams that feature restore, since they want the middle for maximum range. When it is a bonus, lane 6 provides the most possible help while mimimzing risk.

- Panic manor and schools suck ass. 3 columns worth of range means they almost always activate a restore. never field these.

- Shrines are arguably even worse, they have global range, but only target 1 unit. This might be a unit that is boxed in and thus not in reach of the restore unit, but most often they target a frontline unit and give the restore trap exactly what they want. And the only alternative is not using a bonus structure, which is also a bad choice. So I place them when needed and take the risk, but I never upgrade any of these buildings since it just is not worth it. Being forced to activate the trap that your opponent designed is hard to play against, since it happens turn one and sometimes that means you can't properly set up your units. 

Conclusion: Fort/x/BT/Bonus/X/Ladder, if ladders are gone, place bonus in corner. If bonus is a school or manor, switch with ladder. If bonus is shrine, place lane 3 or 4 and hope they get catapulted.

Personally, I don't usually have trouble with Restore or cav lines. I generally field Tactic/Panic/Bright, since I run tanks like Fallen Lyon and the debuffs are worth any trouble.

Edited by Othin

Interesting. Of all the (O) structures, Tactics Room is my personal favorite since combined with b!Camelia as a snipe, it shuts down a surprisingly good chunk of the enemy movement, especially if they're all shoved in the upper right corner.  (I am seeing that one a lot more this past week, and it's annoying.)  My offense squads tend to be general-purpose infantry/flier snipes, so messing up a cav or a dancer's overlapping range is usually enough to clinch it. 

Bolt towers are nice against those supertanks that are '100% HP' stacked.

2 minutes ago, kradeelav said:

Interesting. Of all the (O) structures, Tactics Room is my personal favorite since combined with b!Camelia as a snipe, it shuts down a surprisingly good chunk of the enemy movement, especially if they're all shoved in the upper right corner.  (I am seeing that one a lot more this past week, and it's annoying.)  My offense squads tend to be general-purpose infantry/flier snipes, so messing up a cav or a dancer's overlapping range is usually enough to clinch it. 

Bolt towers are nice against those supertanks that are '100% HP' stacked.

Yeah, sometimes it can mess up my planning if I forget it's there (or that it's going to be destroyed) but it's worth it for messing up defensive formations so I can bait specific things. 

28 minutes ago, Othin said:

Personally, I don't usually have trouble with Restore or cav lines. I generally field Tactic/Panic/Bright, since I run tanks like Fallen Lyon and the debuffs are worth any trouble.

Oh don’t get me wrong, i have no trouble  with restore maps or cav lines, AR has become increasingly easier over the months. I’m now just waiting for the Book 5 info to know what to do with my resources and thus my new defense maps are standing on standby. I need to know about a HM increase since investing now could cost me 80k feathers. 

I just enjoy not needing to worry about turn one engages unless I want to, which is why I always carry panic ploy on my bonus. It gives me agency instead of the enemy.

3 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

Oh don’t get me wrong, i have no trouble  with restore maps or cav lines, AR has become increasingly easier over the months. I’m now just waiting for the Book 5 info to know what to do with my resources and thus my new defense maps are standing on standby. I need to know about a HM increase since investing now could cost me 80k feathers. 

I just enjoy not needing to worry about turn one engages unless I want to, which is why I always carry panic ploy on my bonus. It gives me agency instead of the enemy.

Makes sense.

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

The Azama of Book IV fun to use in some situations but fast utter garbage sadly 😕

Yeah, I would say what did people expect from a non-combatant in a series about warfare....but then I remembered that Jorge is sitting over there with 36 Atk. That, and the also from FE6 Larum has 32 Atk (fairly meh Atk, but still way better than just 20) despite also being a non-combatant.

Though since I brought Jorge up, I wonder how much worse Merlinus would’ve been received if he was a GHB (or TT) unit?

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

The Azama of Book IV fun to use in some situations but fast utter garbage sadly 😕

I'd like to see Azama randomly oneshotting a lot of these tanky new units. Too bad that, at the end of the day, units aren't controlled by some theorycraft model AI or whatever and by actual people willing to push things forward.

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

Though since I brought Jorge up, I wonder how much worse Merlinus would’ve been received if he was a GHB (or TT) unit?

Probably not by much, in fact, I'm sure some would've preferred if he and Galle switched places so Galle could be a cheap merge project without the grail cost.

Only thing that sucks is that other "nobodies" like Karla and Leila got the premium treatment meanwhile Merlinus can't even be decent support like Jorge or Azama.

20 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Only thing that sucks is that other "nobodies" like Karla and Leila got the premium treatment meanwhile Merlinus can't even be decent support like Jorge or Azama.

In Leila's defense, she was always at least decently requested in CYL in that she topped 1,000 votes each time (1,581 in 3 being her highest, 1,069 in 1 being the lowest). That, and by the time Leila was added there were (and still are) barely any females left to add from FE7's playable cast (Farina, Isadora, and Vaida) so it was all the easier for IS to go with her.

As for Karla yeah, she got premium at least by 2018 FEH standards treatment just because she's an attractive female (884 votes in CYL2 is her all-time high).

8 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

As for Karla yeah, she got premium at least by 2018 FEH standards treatment just because she's an attractive female (884 votes in CYL2 is her all-time high).

Karla getting the premium treatment wouldn't have been such a problem if they hadn't fucked over Canas at the same time, which is the main issue imo.

14 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Karla getting the premium treatment wouldn't have been such a problem if they hadn't fucked over Canas at the same time, which is the main issue imo.

Yeah, I certainly won't deny that. IS loves screwing over popular males in favor of less popular females like: an Olwen alt over Finn, F!Kana over Kaze, Lethe over Ranulf, Midori over Forrest, etc.

4 minutes ago, Othin said:

Huh, I really thought we'd have the Feh Channel by now. Unless they're doing it later tonight?

Nah, your mistake was assuming they'd release it before we hit the last round of the VG.

And on that note, I'm now not expecting the channel until Sunday night.

12 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Nah, your mistake was assuming they'd release it before we hit the last round of the VG.

And on that note, I'm now not expecting the channel until Sunday night.

Personally I'm not expecting the Feh Channel to go up until Monday night (a few hours before the banner goes live) since that is when they are doing maintenance for the 5.0 version update.

Edited by NSSKG151

8 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

If you live in US Pacific Time, then yes (at 11pm). If you live in any other time zone in the US, then no.

But the calendar has the last day of the VG as Sunday the 6th, which is correct, and the first day of the banner as Monday the 7th. Are only banner dates off?