Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

I'm an idiot and put my base kit Ascended Tiki into Seer's Snare without even bothering to give her an assist skill or a seal. Turns out that kind of thing has long term consequences huh? I mean, she still completely destroys things, but the lack of movement assists is putting me into some really precarious positions at times.

And yes, just tested and learning it after the fact does not retrospectively add it to the unit within the game mode.

• Replies 77.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

What the hell is up with this month's Legendary Hero banner? Both Robin and Seidr are on a full color, and the most recent unit on a color with an opening for a new unit is Myrrh, who was released exactly a year ago.

Yeah, I've been very confused about this month's banner. I have no idea what to expect. It'll be interesting, that's for sure.

Apologies for the double post, but about the Bride/Groom banner. The Harmonic lead is expected to be from Awakening. Since Cordelia and Tharja already have bridal alts, that narrows down the list of popular choices ever so slightly. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lucina or Lissa, since Lucina has bride content already through Warriors and Project X Zone 2, and Lissa has it through Cipher.

26 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Apologies for the double post, but about the Bride/Groom banner. The Harmonic lead is expected to be from Awakening. Since Cordelia and Tharja already have bridal alts, that narrows down the list of popular choices ever so slightly. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lucina or Lissa, since Lucina has bride content already through Warriors and Project X Zone 2, and Lissa has it through Cipher.

Maybe Olivia? Or Sumia, she only has one version and it's as old as Olivia's most recent one.

I still stand on seeing at least a Magvel character in there.

Actually, I do find it odd how, despite being the one to introduce the class in Awakening, they've yet to use Eirika for it.

Magvel will get used eventually. I don't think it'll solely be Awakening characters this year, unless they rip last year's theme of "Roy's possible brides (minus Sue)" and make it "Chrom's possible brides."

...I guess that's a possibility, but I don't think it'll happen. I jinxed it, didn't I?

17 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Magvel will get used eventually. I don't think it'll solely be Awakening characters this year, unless they rip last year's theme of "Roy's possible brides (minus Sue)" and make it "Chrom's possible brides."

...I guess that's a possibility, but I don't think it'll happen. I jinxed it, didn't I?

That would involve giving Sully an alt, and I’m pretty sure IS isn’t that desperate.

Random and definitely irrelevant fact: Sully's JP voice actor (Momoko Ohara) is among several JP voice actors who voiced a launch day character but have gotten no further voice work in this game since. If anyone cares, the others who fit this criteria are:

Spoiler

Shiro Gou as Jagen
Daiki Hamano as Barst
Runa Onodera as Clarine
Ayano Ishikawa as Setsuna
Takamasa Mogi as Subaki
Minami Takahashi as Peri
Masumi Tazawa as Beruka
Riki Kitazawa as Arthur (of Nohr, and not Tailtiu's son)

3 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Ayano Ishikawa as Setsuna

Bride Setsuna would be fitting, because marriage is the ultimate trap. That plus her headwear looks vaguely bridal as it is.

But as for Awakening, eh, I'm looking through the list of characters and I dunno, Frederick? He was super popular once upon a time, yet he's disappeared off the face of the planet. So, eh, give me Frederick and female Frederick Titania.

At any rate, it's not my favourite theme so I have no meaningful investment in who actually appears. Of course, if another meta-defining unit like Harmonic Catria appears again, all bets are off.

23 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Bride Setsuna would be fitting, because marriage is the ultimate trap. That plus her headwear looks vaguely bridal as it is.

But as for Awakening, eh, I'm looking through the list of characters and I dunno, Frederick? He was super popular once upon a time, yet he's disappeared off the face of the planet. So, eh, give me Frederick and female Frederick Titania.

At any rate, it's not my favourite theme so I have no meaningful investment in who actually appears. Of course, if another meta-defining unit like Harmonic Catria appears again, all bets are off.

Honestly, I don't know how those three Fates girls (Setsuna, Beruka and Peri) have all not gotten an alt and/or a Resplendent.

For instance, Beruka placed only two spots lower than Tana (a character with more alts than Alm and the same number of alts as Edelgard, mind you) in CYL7.

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

Honestly, I don't know how those three Fates girls (Setsuna, Beruka and Peri) have all not gotten an alt and/or a Resplendent.

For instance, Beruka placed only two spots lower than Tana (a character with more alts than Alm and the same number of alts as Edelgard, mind you) in CYL7.

Something something how do you give the likes of Bartre, Zelot, and Dorcas an alt before Lon'qu

At this point the Bridal banner feels quite played out. Sigurd and Deirdre would be nice to see them actually as a happy couple and not tragically doomed. And Eirika would be nice because of Awakening, but I think it's soon time to retire the bridal banner. Or change it up from the white dress parade and maybe start looking into bridal practices of other cultures.

4 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

In Tana's case, it's probably an instance of "this character has light, mild importance, so they get stuff!"

There's also ingame rankings to consider, since when fates is set for an alt, fates characters are compared, not sacred stones. I don't know exactly how the numbers shake up but I imagine that wherever Beruka and Tana placed within the wider series, Tana is probably higher in stones roster than Beruka is in Fates.

16 minutes ago, Ether said:

There's also ingame rankings to consider, since when fates is set for an alt, fates characters are compared, not sacred stones. I don't know exactly how the numbers shake up but I imagine that wherever Beruka and Tana placed within the wider series, Tana is probably higher in stones roster than Beruka is in Fates.

Yeah, that's kinda the thing. Tana isn't even the second most popular FE8 female after Eirika. By CYL7 rankings, the top FE8 females looks like this:

1. Myrrh: 76th [3 alts, no Resplendent]
2. L'Arachel: 84th [2 alts, Resplendent]
3. Lute: 93rd [1 alt and Winter Lysithea's backpack, no Resplendent]
4. Marisa: 105th [1 alt, no Resplendent]
5. Vanessa: 126th* [0 alts, no Resplendent]
6. Amelia: 141st [0 alts, Resplendent]
7. Tana: 149th [4 alts, Resplendent]
*Vanessa's rank will very likely drop like a rock in CYL8, like what happens to most highly requested characters after they get added into FEH.

7 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Yeah, that's kinda the thing. Tana isn't even the second most popular FE8 female after Eirika. By CYL7 rankings, the top FE8 females looks like this:

1. Myrrh: 76th [3 alts, no Resplendent]
2. L'Arachel: 84th [2 alts, Resplendent]
3. Lute: 93rd [1 alt and Winter Lysithea's backpack, no Resplendent]
4. Marisa: 105th [1 alt, no Resplendent]
5. Vanessa: 126th* [0 alts, no Resplendent]
6. Amelia: 141st [0 alts, Resplendent]
7. Tana: 149th [4 alts, Resplendent]
*Vanessa's rank will very likely drop like a rock in CYL8, like what happens to most highly requested characters after they get added into FEH.

Hmm, I guess it's probably related to prior sales data then. The difference in votes between Myrrh and Tana is a bit over 400(granted, Tana has about 400 votes, but neither of them are making waves at those numbers). If prior Tanas sold better, that could swing it.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Or change it up from the white dress parade and maybe start looking into bridal practices of other cultures.

Other than for token diversity, which is generally considered to be in bad taste, why would they ever bother to do this?

There are quite a few reasons why a Western wedding dress is used for this theme:

Western wedding dresses are already considered to be foreign and novel in Japan. However, they are still well enough known to also be immediately recognizable for what they are, and this is true almost globally. There's very little reason to look into finding something more novel, and doing so is even likely to be detrimental to marketability due to being less recognizable.

Additionally, with very few exceptions, Fire Emblem is set in a medieval European fantasy setting, and no one is going to be offended by its characters wearing Western wedding dresses.

It's worth noting that the only non-Western wedding attire used so far was Japanese wedding attire used specifically on Hoshidan characters.

52 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Other than for token diversity, which is generally considered to be in bad taste, why would they ever bother to do this?

I'm not looking for token diversity, I'm looking for literal diversity. Because characters looking exactly the same each year with hair colours being swapped out is getting quite boring.

There are quite a few reasons why a Western wedding dress is used for this theme:

Western wedding dresses are already considered to be foreign and novel in Japan. However, they are still well enough known to also be immediately recognizable for what they are, and this is true almost globally. There's very little reason to look into finding something more novel, and doing so is even likely to be detrimental to marketability due to being less recognizable.

Fun fact for you, I officiate Japanese weddings (yes, really).

Additionally, with very few exceptions, Fire Emblem is set in a medieval European fantasy setting, and no one is going to be offended by its characters wearing Western wedding dresses.

It's worth noting that the only non-Western wedding attire used so far was Japanese wedding attire used specifically on Hoshidan characters.

Mostly, but not entirely. We do have other cultures like Sacae and Almyra (though we only have four Almyran characters and none of them are women). And on the authenticity angle, white wedding dresses we're not actually a thing in medieval Europe.

Edited by Jotari

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'm not looking for token diversity, I'm looking for literal diversity.

Mostly, but not entirely. We do have other cultures like Sacae and Almyra (though we only have four Almyran characters and none of them are women).

There are only one and a half female Sacaean characters, and both of them are more likely to be paired with a non-Sacaean. Notably, if Sue gets a bride alt, it'll likely be a stylized normal wedding dress to match with the existing theme of Roy's potential pairings.

The only way to get actual diversity is to have actual diversity in the characters, and there largely isn't any outside of Hoshido due to the setting. Combine that with the fact that most non-Hoshidan, "non-European" female characters are more likely to be paired with a "European" character and that this festival itself is Askran in universe, and there is very little reason to deviate from the standard outfit outside of stylization.

And on the authenticity angle, white wedding dresses we're not actually a thing in medieval Europe.

Which is why this is "medieval European fantasy" and not "medieval Europe". The goal is not authenticity; it's aesthetic.

And all of the seasonal themes with a modern aesthetic are similarly Western or Japanese (with all of the Japanese ones specifically originating from Hoshido in universe).

EDIT: In unrelated news, Hall of Forms has absolutely refused to give me Escape Route so far, and there are only 2 days left of the event. Meanwhile, I've gotten Wings of Mercy offered 3 or 4 times already. Really frustrating.

Edited by Ice Dragon

For anyone who didn’t see it, the next Hall of Forms re-run will be the Radiant Dawn one (Fallen Ike, Naesala, CYL Micaiah, Sothe).

Path of Radiance (Ashnard, Harvest Ilyana, Bride Sanaki, Ballroom Nephenee) came in last and thus is eliminated from contention.