Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

7 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

There are only one and a half female Sacaean characters, and both of them are more likely to be paired with a non-Sacaean. Notably, if Sue gets a bride alt, it'll likely be a stylized normal wedding dress to match with the existing theme of Roy's potential pairings.

The only way to get actual diversity is to have actual diversity in the characters, and there largely isn't any outside of Hoshido due to the setting. Combine that with the fact that most non-Hoshidan, "non-European" female characters are more likely to be paired with a "European" character and that this festival itself is Askran in universe, and there is very little reason to deviate from the standard outfit outside of stylization.

If slavishly adhering to a character's established cultural routes is the only option and not just doing whatever.

7 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Which is why this is "medieval European fantasy" and not "medieval Europe". The goal is not authenticity; it's aesthetic.

And all of the seasonal themes with a modern aesthetic are similarly Western or Japanese (with all of the Japanese ones specifically originating from Hoshido in universe).

And aesthetic is precisely the reason I want to see things mixed up (or retired completely), as by this point it's become a boring and played out aesthetic.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

If slavishly adhering to a character's established cultural routes is the only option and not just doing whatever.

I thought you were the one who wanted actual diversity and not token diversity.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I thought you were the one who wanted actual diversity and not token diversity.

Diversity of aesthetic. I couldn't give a toss about the fictional authenticity of the fictional characters any more than I care about who gets a Nifl or Ljosalfheimr redesign for resplendents.

Just now, Jotari said:

Diversity of aesthetic. I couldn't give a toss about the fictional authenticity of the fictional characters any more than I care about who gets a Nifl or Ljosalfheimr redesign for resplendents.

And that's still token diversity if it's based off of real-life cultures.

12 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

And that's still token diversity if it's based off of real-life cultures.

I don't see how it is at all as they're not even discussions sitting at the same table, but if that's really the case then don't base it off real life cultures. Make up fantasy cultures for fantasy weddings (which they actually have been largely doing for the male characters, though they've never deviated from the standard palette).

Edited by Jotari

Seer's Snare complete! Turns out having 3 stacks of Finish, Special Spiral 4, two Dragon's Wraths, Mystic Boost 4, and ADbulwark (and a few other skills) makes for an immortal Nah who rends the land with her permanent Glimmer triggers.
Panne and Walhart helped. Wrys... honestly should have been someone else, but the healing helped occasionally.

Edited by Xenomata

I took Ascended Tiki, Winter Cordelia, Walhart and Reyson. To be honest, Walhart's flashing turned out to be mostly unnecessary and perhaps someone with a bit more combat power would have helped. Not a big deal though, as powering him up with Triangle Attack was plenty good enough to crunch through blue enemies on the rare occasions he needed to engage.

The skills, eh, nothing particularly memorable, and mostly suboptimal. I derped out for the first couple of days and didn't realise the colour of the tiles corresponded to difficulty and reward, so I blindly did several easy battles with rubbish rewards early on.

2 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Seer's Snare complete! Turns out having 3 stacks of Finish, Special Spiral 4, two Dragon's Wraths, Mystic Boost 4, and ADbulwark (and a few other skills) makes for an immortal Nah who rends the land with her permanent Glimmer triggers.

So you can stack two of the exact same skill? That seems pretty cool.

I know Raging Storm only triggers once per turn by itself, but since it is possible to stack them now, does it trigger once per copy of skill, once per version of the skill, or once per slot? For example, I feel like having two Raging Storms will probably not give Edelgard: Flame Emperor two Galeforces, but if she got Raging Storm and Raging Storm II, will she have two Galeforces? Or will she only still get one Galeforce because they are both B skills and share the same slot?

Basically, if hypothetically a future Edelgard alt gets Galeforce on her Weapon, Special, and B skill, does that mean she can Galeforce six times in Seer's Snare since she can run 3 extra exclusive B skills on her B slot?

Edited by XRay

13 minutes ago, XRay said:

So you can stack two of the exact same skill? That seems pretty cool.

Technically it was Dragon's Wrath 3 and Dragon's Wrath 4, but they're honestly so similar that it may as well be the same skill (the difference being the trigger of 3 being enemy phase and 5% less on both percentage numbers)

Probably could have done something like Special Spiral 3 and 4 at the same time too (since those two I also picked up), but Glimmer's only 2 cooldown so I wouldn't have been able to test it out properly (Panne and Walhart both had Galeforce going in). But you know what, if someone went in with such  equipped already and had that skill slot unlocked, it might be possible to stack the same skill 3 times...?

13 minutes ago, XRay said:

I know Raging Storm only triggers once per turn by itself, but since it is possible to stack them now, does it trigger once per copy of skill, once per version of the skill, or once per slot? For example, I feel like having two Raging Storms will probably not give Edelgard: Flame Emperor two Galeforces, but if she got Raging Storm and Raging Storm II, will she have two Galeforces? Or will she only still get one Galeforce because they are both B skills and share the same slot?

Basically, if hypothetically a future Edelgard alt gets Galeforce on her Weapon, Special, and B skill, does that mean she can Galeforce six times in Seer's Snare since she can run 3 extra exclusive B skills on her B slot?

Seeing as how Seer's Snare's pool of skills seems to only contain common Tier 3 and Tier 4 skills minus skills like AR and Duel skills, and since I don't believe it's possible to have multiple of the same skill literally (see me having Dragon's Wrath 3 and Dragon's Wrath 4), I think you're theoretical nightmare/fetish scenario is little more than something Plumeria thought up...

Edited by Xenomata

I used Ascended Tiki, Brave Chrom, Valentine's Lucina, and Gotoh, due to forgetting the thing about base passive skills being locked. Early battles were a bit rough and I needed two tries for a couple of the bosses, but most of the fights were very easy. Everyone except Lucina performed quite well, and Lucina got an early Assault Troop which did allow some fun Assist shenanigans.

The lineup for the next (new) Hall of Forms is [SPOILERS]:

Spoiler

Palla: Kind Eldest Sister (Sword Flying)
Delthea: Prodigy in Bloom (B Tome Cavalry)
Luthier: Odd Wayfarer (G Tome Infantry)
Alm: Saint-King (C Bow Infantry)

4 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Ah, I was hoping Forsyth would be appearing, but LegAlm is good too.
Spring Delthea though? Isn't she pretty new as far as HoF units go? Her weapon was one of the first to have such a big textbox that the reveal trailer had to put her skills on two separate screens...

Thinking about future HOF:

• June: Julia
  • July: Leif
  • August: Roy
  • September: Hector
  • October: Ephraim, I guess? His next rerun is September but Erika's is March, so it probably has to be him.
  • November: We don't even have an FE9 elemental hero, so... what.

9 hours ago, Xenomata said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Ah, I was hoping Forsyth would be appearing, but LegAlm is good too.
Spring Delthea though? Isn't she pretty new as far as HoF units go? Her weapon was one of the first to have such a big textbox that the reveal trailer had to put her skills on two separate screens...

Spoiler

Yeah, I think she’s the first 2022 / Book VI unit featured.

I believe Volke (end of Book V / late 2021) was the previous newest unit featured in a HoF.

7 hours ago, Othin said:

Thinking about future HOF:

Hide contents

• June: Julia
  • July: Leif
  • August: Roy
  • September: Hector
  • October: Ephraim, I guess? His next rerun is September but Erika's is March, so it probably has to be him.
  • November: We don't even have an FE9 elemental hero, so... what.

Hmm... Eirika being in March 2024 is kinda sad, because that's almost a year between reruns. If she was in October 2023's HoF and then in March 2024, I would be more okay with that.

I really hope they do some rescheduling and move her to October. I think that's kinda hard to happen, since all the others reschedule they did in the past were of 2 or mayb 3 months max (Peony beng moved from July to May, for example), and March to October would be 5 months... but that's not impossible.

On 5/19/2023 at 12:10 AM, Tybrosion said:

Reveal hidden contents

Bleh. Another Hall of Forms with no Grail unit.

So hey weird question, is Engage worth playing? Or can I just wikipedia the story so I'm caught up on who characters are when they're released in Heroes?

Honestly while I did kind of enjoy Three Houses and the Abyss DLC, I got turned off eventually by how much time it felt like I was spending not playing a Fire Emblem game (basically all the Garreg Mach stuff between story maps is what I mean), and the characters of TH I eventually grew to not really like that much, so I'd rather avoid Engage if it's just more of not playing a FE game to be with characters I don't like...

Good musical showing so far tho.

Edited by Xenomata

5 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

So hey weird question, is Engage worth playing? Or can I just wikipedia the story so I'm caught up on who characters are when they're released in Heroes?

Honestly while I did kind of enjoy Three Houses and the Abyss DLC, I got turned off eventually by how much time it felt like I was spending not playing a Fire Emblem game (basically all the Garreg Mach stuff between story maps is what I mean), and the characters of TH I eventually grew to not really like that much, so I'd rather avoid Engage if it's just more of not playing a FE game to be with characters I don't like...

There's some in-between stuff, but my impression is that it's less than 3H. If you're not sure whether or not to buy, I'd suggest finding some videos to watch to get more of an idea. Personally I ended up watching playthroughs rather than playing it myself, which is something I've been doing a lot lately. (My hands aren't up for much gaming these days, and I can watch while doing other things.)

54 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

You can ignore everything like that in Engage without ever feeling pressured to do it. Honestly there's probably more inter battle prep in Radiant Dawn that there is in Engage.

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

In my opinion, I'd say yes. The Somniel stuff is more in line with Fates's My Castle (which makes sense since IS had little involvement in Three Houses) than TH's Monastery. 

The story and the characters are generally much more simplistic compared to Three Houses. Engage's plot can basically be summed up as "evil dragon has returned and is being a dickhead, go stop him and his cronies". Engage is much better gameplay wise than it is story wise.

I've actually only just started Engage, only done up to chapter 4. That means I've only had to explore the castle once so far, and most of the facilities are still unavailable, so I'm not sure how annoying they are in the first place. Quick travel is fairly easily accessible which is fortunate because the layout of the place is unnecessarily spaghetti-like. There's also a sprint button but I wish it was just a toggle and defaulted to on, instead of being a button you have to hold.

I don't like the post-battle exploration phase though where it feels like just busywork - party members just stand around with nothing interesting to say, and you run around picking up random fruits off the ground. Probably a highly skippable thing but symptomatic of recent muddled design philosophy I guess.

As for the meat of the gameplay, I'm glad I don't have to futz around with weapon durability or battalions. I haven't formed an opinion on the engage mechanic yet - if it's something where I can set and forget the rings then it'll probably be fine, if I'm incentivised to change them up every chapter I'll probably get annoyed at it. One thing I already did get annoyed at is a river on an early map that tediously took my infantry several turns to get across because they put the bridge on the edge of the map. Arrgh.

The story of course is utterly perfunctory. I could probably get away with just skipping all the cutscenes and not lose out on anything meaningful. Anyway, progress will be slow because I'm doing a shadow playthrough with my sister where we take it chapter by chapter and compare notes as we play - and there are only a couple of times a week where our free time syncs up.

EDIT: And progress might slow even further shortly because the new Solasta campaign is releasing tomorrow. Ironically another game with fairly perfunctory writing, but at least its earnest. Might prioritise that because of a desire for proper co-op gameplay.

Edited by Humanoid

15 hours ago, Humanoid said:

I don't like the post-battle exploration phase though where it feels like just busywork - party members just stand around with nothing interesting to say, and you run around picking up random fruits off the ground. Probably a highly skippable thing but symptomatic of recent muddled design philosophy I guess

Talking to anyone post battle is optional.

You’ll still get all the Bond Fragments you would get from talking if you leave without talking to anyone.

16 hours ago, Humanoid said:

I don't like the post-battle exploration phase though where it feels like just busywork - party members just stand around with nothing interesting to say, and you run around picking up random fruits off the ground. Probably a highly skippable thing but symptomatic of recent muddled design philosophy I guess.

Only the characters that have a 💬 on them in the minimap have something relevante to say, being a comment about what happened in the story. Characters without it, don't have much to say so you can ignore those. That applies for the Somniel as well.

And like Typrosion said, if you leave without chatting with anyone you will still get the Bond Fragments.