"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

So... I have a bit of a dilemma right now. It's almost time for me to upgrade another unit to 5*, and my original plan was to upgrade my F!Robin as I was making her into the ultimate M!Robin and Takumi counter by giving her the Gronnraven tome and the Triangle Adept skill. However, I'm starting to doubt how much she would benefit from the 4* to 5* promotion, as she wouldn't get any new skills (I don't plan on using Gronnwolf+ or Defiant Res), and only slightly better stats and more opportunities to gain SP.

On the other hand, I have a 3* Nino sitting in my barracks (IVs are... meh, +Res -Def I believe), and from what I've seen, Nino is quite something. With the Twitter quiz rewards I would be up to 22k feathers so I would be able to get Nino to 5* straight away. So the question is, who is the better green mage to upgrade? The F!Robin that I've put a lot into already but is already capped at 4*, or the Nino that's just sitting here ready to do her best with her potential Gronnblade+?

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question about Desperation

Is the effect of the skill basically "converts Double attack into Brave Effect when under HP thereshold"?

Whats the difference and advantage/disadvantage between Desperation and Brash Assault?

Assuming a unit have Desperation on their weapon(iirc Lyn) can they use the effect when they are counter attacking with Vantage?

1 minute ago, JSND said:

Is the effect of the skill basically "converts Double attack into Brave Effect when under HP thereshold"?

Whats the difference and advantage/disadvantage between Desperation and Brash Assault?

Assuming a unit have Desperation on their weapon(iirc Lyn) can they use the effect when they are counter attacking with Vantage?

Desperation is basically your counterattack given Vantage.

Brash Assault gives an automatic counterattack where one might not exist.

Desperation does not stack with Vantage.

1 hour ago, sdgj1994 said:

So... I have a bit of a dilemma right now. It's almost time for me to upgrade another unit to 5*, and my original plan was to upgrade my F!Robin as I was making her into the ultimate M!Robin and Takumi counter by giving her the Gronnraven tome and th e Triangle Adept skill. However, I'm starting to doubt how much she would benefit from the 4* to 5* promotion, as she wouldn't get any new skills (I don't plan on using Gronnwolf+ or Defiant Res), and only slightly better stats and more opportunities to gain SP.

On the other hand, I have a 3* Nino sitting in my barracks (IVs are... meh, +Res -Def I believe), and from what I've seen, Nino is quite something. With the Twitter quiz rewards I would be up to 22k feathers so I would be able to get Nino to 5* straight away. So the question is, who is the better green mage to upgrade? The F!Robin that I've put a lot into already but is already capped at 4*, or the Nino that's just sitting here ready to do her best with her potential Gronnblade+?

I think it really depends on what you want out of a green mage...

As you've said, your female Robin at 5-star will probably be a great counter to blue tome wielders and most colorless units, while Nino will outdamage her on other targets. I should mention that Nino can probably handle M!Robin as well, since she should easily double him and has triangle advantage.

So yeah, if you really want to counterl takumi's, go with Robin, but if you want more of a all purpose hard hitter, go with Nino.

Edited by Bartozio

48 minutes ago, JSND said:

Essentially, if you would have normally double attacked, Desperation makes it so the second attack now happens immediately after the first instead of after the enemy counterattacks.

• Normally, if you can double attack and opponent, the flow of battle goes you -> enemy -> you
  • If you have Desperation active, it instead goes you -> you -> enemy.

However, Desperation only lets your double attack sooner; it does not give you an extra attack. If you do not already have the speed to double your enemy, then Desperation is absolutely useless.

Brash Assault, on the other hand, doesn't care about speed. It simply gives you another attack after the normal flow of battle. 

• Normally, if neither you nor your enemy can double each other, the flow of battle goes you -> enemy.
  • If you have Brash Assault active, it instead goes you -> enemy -> you.
  • On the other hand, if the enemy would normally double you, the flow of battle would go you -> enemy -> enemy
  • But if you have Brash Assault active, it instead goes you -> enemy -> you -> enemy.

Also, you didn't ask, but Quick Riposte is essentially an enemy phase Brash Assault.

• If neither you nor the enemy doubles you, it would normally go enemy -> you.
  • With Quick Riposte, it would go enemy -> you -> you.
  • If the enemy normally doubles you, it would go enemy -> you -> enemy
  • With Quick Riposte, it would go enemy -> you -> you

Because Brash Assault and Quick Riposte give you an additional attack regardless of speed (and because you cannot have more than two attacks no matter what) (Brave Weapons still count as "two" hits; you simply attack twice "per hit"), they are usually better if you cannot normally double since they essentially do nothing at all if you could normally double. 

tldr - Desperation is better on faster characters; Brash Assault/Quick Riposte are better on slower characters. 

EDIT: Color-coded to make it easier to read (unless you're colorblind in which case sorry?)

Double EDIT: In hindsight, I haven't personally tested it, so I'm unsure exactly how Brash Assault works if the enemy doubles you. As in, I'm not sure if it's you -> enemy -> you -> enemy or if it's actually you -> enemy -> enemy -> you. Anyone who's personally tested this is welcome to pitch in (@Ice Dragon?)

Edited by MaskedAmpharos

29 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Essentially, if you would have normally double attacked, Desperation makes it so the second attack now happens immediately after the first instead of after the enemy counterattacks.

• Normally, if you can double attack and opponent, the flow of battle goes you -> enemy -> you
  • If you have Desperation active, it instead goes you -> you -> enemy.

However, Desperation only lets your double attack sooner; it does not give you an extra attack. If you do not already have the speed to double your enemy, then Desperation is absolutely useless.

Brash Assault, on the other hand, doesn't care about speed. It simply gives you another attack after the normal flow of battle. 

• Normally, if neither you nor your enemy can double each other, the flow of battle goes you -> enemy.
  • If you have Brash Assault active, it instead goes you -> enemy -> you.
  • On the other hand, if the enemy would normally double you, the flow of battle would go you -> enemy -> enemy
  • But if you have Brash Assault active, it instead goes you -> enemy -> you -> enemy.

Also, you didn't ask, but Quick Riposte is essentially an enemy phase Brash Assault.

• If neither you nor the enemy doubles you, it would normally go enemy -> you.
  • With Quick Riposte, it would go enemy -> you -> you.
  • If the enemy normally doubles you, it would go enemy -> you -> enemy
  • With Quick Riposte, it would go enemy -> you -> you

Because Brash Assault and Quick Riposte give you an additional attack regardless of speed (and because you cannot have more than two attacks no matter what) (Brave Weapons still count as "two" hits; you simply attack twice "per hit"), they are usually better if you cannot normally double since they essentially do nothing at all if you could normally double. 

tldr - Desperation is better on faster characters; Brash Assault/Quick Riposte are better on slower characters. 

EDIT: Color-coded to make it easier to read (unless you're colorblind in which case sorry?)

Double EDIT: In hindsight, I haven't personally tested it, so I'm unsure exactly how Brash Assault works if the enemy doubles you. As in, I'm not sure if it's you -> enemy -> you -> enemy or if it's actually you -> enemy -> enemy -> you. Anyone who's personally tested this is welcome to pitch in (@Ice Dragon?)

So basically Desperation turns your follow up into a Brave Effect, (with a sidenote if you already have Brave Effect, you attacked 4 times with Desperation since the mechanic is to move your follow up early)

While Brash Assault basically give you a "free" follow up regardless of speed?

Also iirc Brash Assault have a part that says "do follow up if enemy can counter"? Does that means it doesn't work in a case where say Seliph is attacking Takumi without CC, while it works when Takumi had CC because he can counter?

Edited by JSND

12 minutes ago, JSND said:

So basically Desperation turns your follow up into a Brave Effect, (with a sidenote if you already have Brave Effect, you attacked 4 times with Desperation since the mechanic is to move your follow up early)

Also iirc Brash Assault have a part that says "do follow up if enemy can counter"? Does that means it doesn't work in a case where say Seliph is attacking Takumi without CC, while it works when Takumi had CC because he can counter?

The first part seems correct.

And yes, Brash Assault works as you think it does for the example.

2 hours ago, JSND said:

Yes to both questions. 

Desperation does turn your followup into a Brave Effect (and you'd attack 4 times at once via Desperation with a Brave weapon, which is why Setsuna is at the top of the archer tier list rn as she has the speed to double most people with Life and Death despite holding an inherited Brave Bow+). 

And yes, Brash Assault gives you a free follow-up regardless of speed but only on enemies that can counter (so Seliph wouldn't be able to activate on a mage or archer without close counter). 

@MaskedAmpharos Attacks will always alternate unless a skill effect says so (and the only one that does is Desperation).

If you have Brash Assault and the opponent can double attack, the order of battle is

• Attacker → Defender → Attacker → Defender

I have the entire order of battle determination in the speed calculation section of my research thread:

2 minutes ago, Google Chrom said:

Does anyone know where to find an accurate ranking chart for heroes?

What do you mean by that exactly?

If you want heroes ranked by BST or by a specific stat, like highest to lowest attack, then the wiki has that under "Max Stats Chart"

If you wanted some kind of tier list, there isn't really a 100% accurate one (and there never will be because it's literally impossible to take into account all possible skill and teammate combinations, enemy team comps, and user ability. There is no such thing as a unit that is better in all scenarios than another unit). However, there is a WIP tier list on the wiki, if you wanted to check that out. 

20 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

What do you mean by that exactly?

If you want heroes ranked by BST or by a specific stat, like highest to lowest attack, then the wiki has that under "Max Stats Chart"

If you wanted some kind of tier list, there isn't really a 100% accurate one (and there never will be because it's literally impossible to take into account all possible skill and teammate combinations, enemy team comps, and user ability. There is no such thing as a unit that is better in all scenarios than another unit). However, there is a WIP tier list on the wiki, if you wanted to check that out. 

Actually, due to the fact that the stat variations in arena teams are limited to the stat spreads of available characters, there ARE characters which are strictly better. Klein, for instance, will be better than Setsuna no matter what you do to the both of them.

Everyone Setsuna can 2HKO Klein could as well, everyone Setsuna could 4HKO Klein could either 2HKO if they're too fast for him to double, or 4HKO if they aren't.

And this is despite the fact that Klein has better bulk than Setsuna.

If you actually run the calcs, there are a LOT of 'strictly better' units out there.

Edit: I mean, just imagine for a moment a unit with 1Hp/1Atk/153Spd/1Def/1Res stats, you can tell just by looking at it that it's basically the worst unit in the game, no matter what.

Edited by DehNutCase
spelling

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

Actually, due to the fact that the stat variations in arena teams are limited to the stat spreads of available characters, there ARE characters which are strictly better. Klein, for instance, will be better than Setsuna no matter what you do to the both of them.

Everyone Setsuna can 2HKO Klein could as well, everyone Setsuna could 4HKO Klein could either 2HKO if they're too fast for him to double, or 4HKO if they aren't.

And this is despite the fact that Klein has better bulk and Setsuna.

If you actually run the calcs, there are a LOT of 'strictly better' units out there.

Sure, I'll grant that there are some units out there that are 'strictly better' than others in their same niche in most cases. Sophia, for example, is probably never going to have a set that can't be theoretically run better by another unit, like Sanaki or Lilina. 

The point I was more trying to make is that there aren't any completely accurate tier lists out there that you can trust blindly. In any case, the closest (and I use this term loosely) is probably the one on the wiki, and I directed them to that :/

9 hours ago, OKigen said:

Uhm... same question as a few days ago. Is it safe to merge now?

Since noone replied my last post, I went ahead and merged 2 Sophia.

... Nope, nothing happened. So skill merging are still not updated yet '___'

9 minutes ago, OKigen said:

Since noone replied my last post, I went ahead and merged 2 Sophia.

... Nope, nothing happened. So skill merging are still not updated yet '___'

Why did you do this dude! 

All you had to do was re ask the question! 

Sorry for your loss

I am 99.9% sure.. I want to merge all my 4* Dupe Cleric to the best 4* Cleric. Why? Because. we will probably never upgrade them to 5*... let alone all 10 of them.

So..... if you work out the math. 4* Serra +10... Have higher stats than a 5* Serra. Otherwise they will just float in my box spaces

(150feathers or whatever is penny)

If there's an SI option. I will definitely go SI first... that's fo'sho

7 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Why did you do this dude! 

All you had to do was re ask the question! 

Sorry for your loss

Nah that's fine, I don't use her anyway.

By the way, unimporant detail but I'm female lol

Edited by OKigen

3 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

I am 99.9% sure.. I want to merge all my 4* Dupe Cleric to the best 4* Cleric. Why? Because. we will probably never upgrade them to 5*... let alone all 10 of them.

So..... if you work out the math. 4* Serra +10... Have higher stats than a 5* Serra. Otherwise they will just float in my box spaces

(150feathers or whatever is penny)

If there's an SI option. I will definitely go SI first... that's fo'sho

I don't understand the question 

Are you saying Any healers you get will be merged into your best healer through skill inheritance? If so I wouldn't do that since grinding sp with healers is hardly fun, as they never get kills so it's literally endless healing.

If you're saying "I have 5 serras, 3 Lissas, and 4 Wrys. I'm gonna merge the 5 serras together to make a +4 one. And then I'm gonna merge my Lissas! Then my Wrys! HA HA HA" Then thats pretty cool.

Just now, OKigen said:

Nah that's fine, I don't use her anyway.

Oh thank goodness! Crisis averted!

@Arcanite Pretty much. If I have like 20 5 Wrys. I can make a +3 Wrys or something and probably reserve some for SI.

This is assuming they dont release 6* Character in the near future. Gah these update and gacha meta. 

Edited by Ryuke

5 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

This is assuming they dont release 6* Character in the near future. Gah these update and gacha meta. 

Personally, I don't see power creep in terms of character rarity being a thing in this game.

Plus, every Mega Wishiwashi playing this game would riot if we were told we couldn't carry over our 5-star merges on a 6-star promotion. It'd be shooting themselves in the foot with a howitzer.

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

Personally, I don't see power creep in terms of character rarity being a thing in this game.

Plus, every Mega Wishiwashi playing this game would riot if we were told we couldn't carry over our 5-star merges on a 6-star promotion. It'd be shooting themselves in the foot with a howitzer.

I figured that will probably be the biggest drawback.

But we cannot make 1 merge = 6 star. Cause... then 4* merge to 5* makes 6* easy to obtain. (Idk if you understood that)

Yeah. hence I am not really tempted to merge. but I am approaching my 200 characters space (f2p)

4 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

But we cannot make 1 merge = 6 star. Cause... then 4* merge to 5* makes 6* easy to obtain. (Idk if you understood that)

No, I didn't.

If 6-star rarity is implemented at some point in the future, it would be absolutely required for it to come with a way to transfer your merges with the promotion, such as by paying the promotion cost for each merge you want to keep. And even then I'm sure there will be rioting.

2 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

a form of un-merge -- would be sweet

Would be abusable. I doubt the game keeps track of what the sacrifice for each merge was, meaning unmerging would necessarily create a new randomized instance of the character that would be used to re-roll for a better nature.

Being able to move a merge from one unit to another (obviously of the same character and rarity) or being able to consume a merge level to perform a skill inherit using that character's default skill set, however, would be doable without risk of exploitation.