"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

Can't seem to get my shit straight. I want to save up Orbs until the end of the month so I can try another shot at getting Katarina. Thing is, whenever I get 5 Orbs or so, I blow them away. Did it with 35, 25, and now both times when simply reaching 5. Doesn't help I feel like I'm using Stamina poorly and I still have a few Story and Paralogue chapters to fulfill so I can get to about 20-25. Same thing in the Arena, I feel like I'm rushing and that costed me like 5 streaks.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

So I 5*ed my +Atk -Def Selena finally. Right now she has Fury 3 and Threaten Spd, and I'm planning on giving her Wo Dao+ with Moonbow or Bonfire (probably Moonbow, but haven't decided fully). I can't really decide what B Skill would be good for her though. This set isn't focused on sustain and tanking, so I don't really need Renewal; Desperation works with her great Spd and Threaten Spd, but I'm not entirely sure if it's worth since Moonbow can't proc in one round of combat like that; Vantage Moonbow with Wo Dao sounds a bit evil, but Selena has low Atk to begin with even with +Atk, not sure how much it's worth.

Selena does best, in my opinion, when you leverage her superior bulk and speed to charge high cd skills like Ignis quickly. She's not going to die in one or even two rounds of combat, but almost nothing survives an Ignis round.

That said, note that Selena is crazy fast, crazy bulky. So fast, so bulky, that you can run L&D, Brave Sword, Sword-breaker, Draconic Aura or Bonfire and pick up 92 wins, or Dragon Fang or Ignis and pick up 89 wins with +Atk/-Def. (Yeah, her Def is so high relative to her Atk that even after L&D and -Def nature Bonfire and Ignis are still comparable to the Dragon line).

I personally favor Fury 3, Renewal, Ignis, with whatever sword (Armorslayer+ is perfectly fine, so's Ruby when I only need to murder large groups of reds), and just have Selena grind them down, but her speed tier is good enough to run quite a bit of builds at the 'decent' level.

Edit: I do have a Wo Dao+ from Karel, but, being perfectly honest, I'm not sure who even wants it. It's an excellent sword in terms of general purpose use, but, in the end, in a general purpose build it's basically just a slightly stronger Silver Sword that costs you a special slot---because you would very much prefer Moonbow over any other special.

Edited by DehNutCase

6 hours ago, Soul~! said:

Can't seem to get my shit straight. I want to save up Orbs until the end of the month so I can try another shot at getting Katarina. Thing is, whenever I get 5 Orbs or so, I blow them away. Did it with 35, 25, and now both times when simply reaching 5. Doesn't help I feel like I'm using Stamina poorly and I still have a few Story and Paralogue chapters to fulfill so I can get to about 20-25. Same thing in the Arena, I feel like I'm rushing and that costed me like 5 streaks.

I also have a serious issue with that. I tell myself that I'm not going to spend orbs unless I do full pulls but still attempt to snipe orbs and it never works out for me. None of the current banners interest me however, if I can't stock 20 orbs before the Echoes banner ends, I'm officially saving them for the next new banner.

However to be fair, sniping orbs did get me a free Moonbow and Desperation. Now if colorless sniping could just get me a +ATK or +SPD Matthew.

On 6/25/2017 at 10:10 PM, DehNutCase said:

Derp. Troubleshooting, at least, my own completely unprofessional way, is just trying things to see: What works, what doesn't, what combination of what works will let me bypass what doesn't.

Mostly a matter of patience and realizing things might not work in the end, so not worrying too much about it. Also, you can always try getting Nox to work on your own computer, and just rerolling an account for her so she can jump in and start playing once she gets the browser issue sorted out.

I could make an NNID for her, and reroll characters for her. But the problem is this, trying to type to begin with. IIRC, to link your nintendo account you have to go to Nintendo's site to begin with, and be able to type in your NNID and password. She can't do that.

I'll be quick to point out she's using the Jelly Bean Keyboard app that was used in the video I pointed out in an earlier post of mine. But even without it, she's still been having issues.

Edited by Falaflame

19 minutes ago, Falaflame said:

I could make an NNID for her, and reroll characters for her. But the problem is this, trying to type to begin with. IIRC, to link your nintendo account you have to go to Nintendo's site to begin with, and be able to type in your NNID and password. She can't do that.

[6:30 PM] Falaflame: hmm.
[6:30 PM] Falaflame: try the normal browser
[6:30 PM] Falaflame: and try clicking on a text box
[6:30 PM] ciara: i can click on things. but typing crashes
[6:30 PM] Falaflame: what happens if you click on a text box?
[6:30 PM] Falaflame: does it bring up a keyboard?
[6:30 PM] ciara: nope
[6:32 PM] Falaflame: Mm. That's a problem.

I'll be quick to point out she's using the Jelly Bean Keyboard app that was used in the video I pointed out in an earlier post of mine. But even without it, she's still been having issues.

The main reason I asked you get try to get Nox working on your computer is because either: A, you get it working no problems, can do the SafetyNet disable and link accounts, in which case that suggests the problem is with her computer or her particular installation of Nox, or else the way she disabled SafetyNet, or B, it starts having the same problem she does, in which case you can troubleshoot directly rather than over PMs.

Has she tried using a 'clean' Nox emulator session? That is, using Nox multi-player to create a new Nox emulator based on 'Raw.' If the browser doesn't work there, she'll need to reinstall Nox. If it does work there, then obviously something went wrong in the time between when she installed Nox and you guys disabled SafetyNet.

Using the keyboard app mostly only matters in the game itself---because Nox's keyboard isn't fully recognized by the app, the enter key has a bit of issues. The default keyboard is fine for connecting accounts because it's using the browser app to connect rather than being in the game proper.

Hell, worst comes to worst, it should be possible for you to just straight up send the entirety of your Nox installation over to her computer. If the accounts are linked, just a straight file transfer should give her 'your' Nox installation, meaning it stays linked and setup. (This depends on where Nox keeps all its files, though, if it keeps a whole bunch in MyDocuments and such the transfer would be quite complicated.)

Edit: A brief glance through my files suggests that the emulator data is kept in Program Files/Nox/bin/BignoxVMS, so it shouldn't be a problem to just send the whole Nox file over. I'm a bit too lazy to create a second account on my computer just to check, though.

Edited by DehNutCase

I have 2 adult tikis and I'd like to keep the better of the two just in case i ever get around to using her. One is +Res/-Def, the other is +Def/-Speed.

Considering her signature thing is Bonfire and how she's slow as dirt anyway, I was going to assume the Defense one is more important but I've been surprised before so...

On 6/26/2017 at 6:51 PM, DehNutCase said:

The main reason I asked you get try to get Nox working on your computer is because either: A, you get it working no problems, can do the SafetyNet disable and link accounts, in which case that suggests the problem is with her computer or her particular installation of Nox, or else the way she disabled SafetyNet, or B, it starts having the same problem she does, in which case you can troubleshoot directly rather than over PMs.

Has she tried using a 'clean' Nox emulator session? That is, using Nox multi-player to create a new Nox emulator based on 'Raw.' If the browser doesn't work there, she'll need to reinstall Nox. If it does work there, then obviously something went wrong in the time between when she installed Nox and you guys disabled SafetyNet.

Using the keyboard app mostly only matters in the game itself---because Nox's keyboard isn't fully recognized by the app, the enter key has a bit of issues. The default keyboard is fine for connecting accounts because it's using the browser app to connect rather than being in the game proper.

Hell, worst comes to worst, it should be possible for you to just straight up send the entirety of your Nox installation over to her computer. If the accounts are linked, just a straight file transfer should give her 'your' Nox installation, meaning it stays linked and setup. (This depends on where Nox keeps all its files, though, if it keeps a whole bunch in MyDocuments and such the transfer would be quite complicated.)

Edit: A brief glance through my files suggests that the emulator data is kept in Program Files/Nox/bin/BignoxVMS, so it shouldn't be a problem to just send the whole Nox file over. I'm a bit too lazy to create a second account on my computer just to check, though.

Well, there's progress at least. I think we figured out something. And if it happens to turn out to not work, I think I figured out why it's been happening.

Edited by Falaflame

On 6/26/2017 at 6:51 PM, DehNutCase said:

Well, there's progress at least. I think we figured out something. And if it happens to turn out to not work, I think I figured out why it's been happening.

Edited by Falaflame

3 minutes ago, Falaflame said:

*snip*

Ok.

Personally I don't like typing posts like this one I'm typing right now, since you gain literally no information other than the fact that I've read your post and am paying attention, but I guess that's still a bit of 'useful' information.

Do people, liek, *5 characters just to skill-fodder them? Only feasible way I can see of getting, say, Life and Death 3 without pulling a *5.

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

I also have a serious issue with that. I tell myself that I'm not going to spend orbs unless I do full pulls but still attempt to snipe orbs and it never works out for me. None of the current banners interest me however, if I can't stock 20 orbs before the Echoes banner ends, I'm officially saving them for the next new banner.

However to be fair, sniping orbs did get me a free Moonbow and Desperation. Now if colorless sniping could just get me a +ATK or +SPD Matthew.

What's sniping.

Also, try mono-colouring. >(

10 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Is it worth it to drop orbs on expanding my maximum hero limit?

I honestly never thought it would be a problem, but then again I didn't have so many inheritance fodder units at the time either...

Yeah, I've been spending plenty of Orbs on increasing my Barracks size.  I'd rather hold onto units that might be good for SI than send them home.

@Ice Dragon Is there a limit to how big your barracks can get?

@phineas81707

For merging, unless you are very stingy with Orbs, Olivia is very common so it is not necessary to level her all the way up to 40 to merge. If it is Reinhardt or Hector, it makes sense to level them to 40 to squeeze out every last drop of SP since you are not getting them often unless you are a whale.

@Kiketasu

Can you give us a little more detail? I do not remember what it was like when I started the game, but you get Orbs from Story Maps and Daily Login Bonuses. The only thing I can think of that makes up the difference of 15 Orbs is 10 Orbs from linking My Nintendo Account and the 5 Orbs as an apology from the development team for a map glitch.

@r_n

You can use the calculator. Assuming you are giving Tiki an enemy phase build, +Def -Spd is better. QR mitigates -Spd by allowing her to counterattack twice.

@Rezzy

I am not Ice Dragon, but the max Barracks size is 500. It is too small. I need like maybe 2,000 or 3,000 to be satisfied.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

@Rezzy

I am not Ice Dragon, but the max Barracks size is 500. It is too small. I need like maybe 2,000 or 3,000 to be satisfied.

Ah, I have a bit of ways to go before I get there, but that does seem lower than expected.  I'm loathe to send home units with good skills, and I like to have at least one of every unit, and even a back-up in most cases before I'll use a unit for SI.  Hopefully, they'll raise that cap before too long.

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

@r_n

You can use the calculator. Assuming you are giving Tiki an enemy phase build, +Def -Spd is better. QR mitigates -Spd by allowing her to counterattack twice.

Ohh QR, always a skill I forget about despite hating every time I run into it. Thanks

36 minutes ago, XRay said:

For merging, unless you are very stingy with Orbs, Olivia is very common so it is not necessary to level her all the way up to 40 to merge. If it is Reinhardt or Hector, it makes sense to level them to 40 to squeeze out every last drop of SP since you are not getting them often unless you are a whale.

My problem is that, once I've merged the two Olivias, I can't dance the new one any more for training.

1 hour ago, Soul~! said:

Do people, liek, *5 characters just to skill-fodder them? Only feasible way I can see of getting, say, Life and Death 3 without pulling a *5.

5 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

My problem is that, once I've merged the two Olivias, I can't dance the new one any more for training.

If the Olivias are your only two dancers, I would not merge them. Having two dancers is essential.

5 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

Selena does best, in my opinion, when you leverage her superior bulk and speed to charge high cd skills like Ignis quickly. She's not going to die in one or even two rounds of combat, but almost nothing survives an Ignis round.

That said, note that Selena is crazy fast, crazy bulky. So fast, so bulky, that you can run L&D, Brave Sword, Sword-breaker, Draconic Aura or Bonfire and pick up 92 wins, or Dragon Fang or Ignis and pick up 89 wins with +Atk/-Def. (Yeah, her Def is so high relative to her Atk that even after L&D and -Def nature Bonfire and Ignis are still comparable to the Dragon line).

I personally favor Fury 3, Renewal, Ignis, with whatever sword (Armorslayer+ is perfectly fine, so's Ruby when I only need to murder large groups of reds), and just have Selena grind them down, but her speed tier is good enough to run quite a bit of builds at the 'decent' level.

Edit: I do have a Wo Dao+ from Karel, but, being perfectly honest, I'm not sure who even wants it. It's an excellent sword in terms of general purpose use, but, in the end, in a general purpose build it's basically just a slightly stronger Silver Sword that costs you a special slot---because you would very much prefer Moonbow over any other special.

Yeah, you already told me about those builds, but it doesn't really answer my question since those aren't what I'm running lol. Except Swordbreaker is another idea.

24 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Yeah, you already told me about those builds, but it doesn't really answer my question since those aren't what I'm running lol. Except Swordbreaker is another idea.

The problem with running a 'one-round-wonder' Selena build is that you've basically turned her into the worst Lucina ever. In one round of combat, Lucina's 6 higher hp almost completely negates her 7 lower def and 9 lower res. Def and Res only become superior to Hp once you take multiple hits. 9 Atk is well worth 1 less physical bulk and 3 less magical bulk.

9 Atk isn't a difference Wo Dao+ can make up, because Falchion has 3 MT on it, and the +10 bonus damage only comes once per 2 turns at best, meaning, even if a special procs every other hit, it's still only a 18 effective MT (slightly higher vs. blues, slightly lower vs. greens) sword versus Falchion's 16 MT.

Even "Marth," who doesn't have access to natures, would beat Selena when they're both running a 'one-round-wonder' build. +Atk/-Def Selena actually has less physical bulk than "Math" 37/29 versus 43/25 while having 1 less speed and 4 less Atk. 4, incidentally, is a number greater than 2, so even Wo Dao+ can't make Selena out damage "Marth." Marth also gets renewal for free, so she has the sustain advantage.

Edit: "Marth" is also 40k feathers cheaper, since you don't have to 5* her and she starts with the sword she wants.

I mean, the build isn't a bad, per se, (Wo Dao+ gets like ~90 wins, I think, over 100 with +4/+4) but you're basically forcing into a role she isn't actually built for. If you want the role while also running Selena, I guess that's fine, but I'd rather build Selena to do Selena things rather than Lucina things.

Edited by DehNutCase

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

The problem with running a 'one-round-wonder' Selena build is that you've basically turned her into the worst Lucina ever. In one round of combat, Lucina's 6 higher hp almost completely negates her 7 lower def and 9 lower res. Def and Res only become superior to Hp once you take multiple hits. 9 Atk is well worth 1 less physical bulk and 3 less magical bulk.

9 Atk isn't a difference Wo Dao+ can make up, because Falchion has 3 MT on it, and the +10 bonus damage only comes once per 2 turns at best, meaning, even if a special procs every other hit, it's still only a 18 effective MT (slightly higher vs. blues, slightly lower vs. greens) sword versus Falchion's 16 MT.

Even "Marth," who doesn't have access to natures, would beat Selena when they're both running a 'one-round-wonder' build. +Atk/-Def Selena actually has less physical bulk than "Math" 37/29 versus 43/25 while having 1 less speed and 4 less Atk. 4, incidentally, is a number greater than 2, so even Wo Dao+ can't make Selena out damage "Marth." Marth also gets renewal for free, so she has the sustain advantage.

I mean, the build isn't a bad, per se, (Wo Dao+ gets like ~90 wins, I think, over 100 with +4/+4) but you're basically forcing into a role she isn't actually built for. If you want the role while also running Selena, I guess that's fine, but I'd rather build Selena to do Selena things rather than Lucina things.

But that was never the point, since I don't really care. I 5*ed a mediocre unit while my Xander, Camus and Alfonse are still 4*. I just can't decide on the B skill.

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

But that was never the point, since I don't really care. I 5*ed a mediocre unit while my Xander, Camus and Alfonse are still 4*. I just can't decide on the B skill.

If you don't care about a unit being 'good,' why is picking a B-skill even a problem? Just slap on whatever's convenient.

Skill choice only matters when you need a unit to do something, and every skill would need to be measured against the opportunity cost of not picking up any of the other skills in that slot. If Selena's just there to look cute, she can run pretty much any B-skill you want. If she's there so you can look at her combat animation, then either Fury 3/Renewal or TA-3/Renewal would be the way to go, so she can get into as many fights as possible in a map. If the point is to run Selena around waving a Wo Dao+, then you can go even deeper and run Pavise/Escutcheon or Aegis/Sacred Cowl and just ignore damage output entirely, since the point would be for her to just sit somewhere swinging a Wo Dao+, rather than actually doing things with it. Funnily enough, however, Sol and Noontime would not be recommended, because Wo Dao+ bonus damage doesn't trigger the healing. Meaning you'd need renewal or a dedicated healer.

Alright, it's promotion time and I'm really at a loss of who should get feathers next. Or if I should even use my feathers instead of just saving them. Here are my options:

1. A 4* +atk Reinhardt to merge with my 5* +hp one. Is the 6 extra damage per round worth it? I still haven't lucked out with death blow fodder for the one i already have either, just atk +3. 

2. A 4* Eirika +atk/-res to merge with my +res/-spd one. The loss of speed of my current one is really noticeable, but with fury/swordbreaker/moonbow, the +atk Eirika reaches a respectable >90 wins vs. neutral matchup (always better than the +spd variant if she has fury tbh). Also, i've got an optimally built Tharja and Nino who would really appreciate a better buffer.

3. 5* a Hana to give LoD3 to a +atk/-res Bridal Cordelia. She already has the BB+ and Desperation, this would be the final piece to the puzzle. My only concern is that she won't be a bonus unit almost ever again so I don't know where she really fits onto a team.

4. A neutral 4* TA raven cecilia to finalize the 4th member of a horse emblem. This might be nice especially if Camus remains a bonus unit for next week.

I've also never merged a unit before so I'm still unsure if it'd just be better to keep two of the same unit instead. I'm leaning towards promoting and merging Eirika but also possibly just saving the feathers. Any thoughts anyone?

Edited by Molo