"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

8 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:
Spoiler

The problem with running a 'one-round-wonder' Selena build is that you've basically turned her into the worst Lucina ever. In one round of combat, Lucina's 6 higher hp almost completely negates her 7 lower def and 9 lower res. Def and Res only become superior to Hp once you take multiple hits. 9 Atk is well worth 1 less physical bulk and 3 less magical bulk.

9 Atk isn't a difference Wo Dao+ can make up, because Falchion has 3 MT on it, and the +10 bonus damage only comes once per 2 turns at best, meaning, even if a special procs every other hit, it's still only a 18 effective MT (slightly higher vs. blues, slightly lower vs. greens) sword versus Falchion's 16 MT.

Even "Marth," who doesn't have access to natures, would beat Selena when they're both running a 'one-round-wonder' build. +Atk/-Def Selena actually has less physical bulk than "Math" 37/29 versus 43/25 while having 1 less speed and 4 less Atk. 4, incidentally, is a number greater than 2, so even Wo Dao+ can't make Selena out damage "Marth." Marth also gets renewal for free, so she has the sustain advantage.

Edit: "Marth" is also 40k feathers cheaper, since you don't have to 5* her and she starts with the sword she wants.

I mean, the build isn't a bad, per se, (Wo Dao+ gets like ~90 wins, I think, over 100 with +4/+4) but you're basically forcing into a role she isn't actually built for. If you want the role while also running Selena, I guess that's fine, but I'd rather build Selena to do Selena things rather than Lucina things.

The Arena's meta strategy right now is based around ORKO. Going for anything less means there will be more enemies left standing, and that is far riskier than just outright killing the enemy. It is better to kill the enemy as soon as possible than to leave the enemy alive just to charge a Special.

@SatsumaFSoysoy

If you like player phase more, give her Swordbreaker or Desperation. If you like enemy phase more, give her QR. If you want something fun, you can try Harsh Command, Fury, Escape Route, and Sword Experience to suit her sharp tongue, escaping the future, and hard work ethic.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, XRay said:

The Arena's meta strategy right now is based around ORKO. Going for anything less means there will be more enemies left standing, and that is far riskier than just outright killing the enemy. It is better to kill the enemy as soon as possible than to leave the enemy alive just to charge a Special.

@SatsumaFSoysoy

If you like player phase more, give her Swordbreaker or Desperation. If you like enemy phase more, give her QR. If you want something fun, you can try Harsh Command, Fury, Escape Route, and Sword Experience to suit her sharp tongue, escaping the future, and hard work ethic.

That's... not an argument for Selena doing Lucina things, that's an argument for Lucina doing Lucina things.

Regardless, it's a good thing there's this whole other in game thing that we do, that was kind of talked about, that just ended about a week ago, where units who could last multiple rounds of combat were very useful, isn't it? I might not run Selena in Arena, but she's a pretty consistent play-maker in my TT team.

24 minutes ago, XRay said:

@SatsumaFSoysoy

Thanks, I think I'll go for Desperation.

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

That's... not an argument for Selena doing Lucina things, that's an argument for Lucina doing Lucina things.

Regardless, it's a good thing there's this whole other in game thing that we do, that was kind of talked about, that just ended about a week ago, where units who could last multiple rounds of combat were very useful, isn't it? I might not run Selena in Arena, but she's a pretty consistent play-maker in my TT team.

I run glass cannons in TT. Two glass cannons and two dancers cheese Tempest Trials. I want my speed bonus and perfect runs.

@Molo

When in doubt, focus on your pony team and blade mages. They make it easier to get more feathers in the Arena.

1. I assume you mean sacrificing your 5* +HP into your into your 4>5* +Atk. That to me seems like the best option. If you are free to play, then it is fine to go with Atk +3 for now. If you plan to spend a little money here and there, it is better to wait and conserve SP for better skills.

2. I assume you mean merging your +Res into your +Atk one. That is good. Eirika can also buff B!Cordelia and allow her to almost annihilate the entire cast.

3. You lucky son of Anna! That is the nature I tried to pull for, but I had to settle for +Atk -HP, and I summoned almost 20 of her. B!Cordelia is great. She is the only bow unit I would prioritize over Blade mages for skills. If your pony team is largely complete and you want to try out new things, I would prioritize on getting B!Cordelia up and running.

4. If your Cecilia is doing fine without the need to 5*, then she should stay at 4*. Unless you have a lot of problems against colorless, she can stay at 4*.

I would prioritize them just as your listed them: Reinhardt, then Eirika, then B!Cordelia, then Cecilia.

If your pony team is working fine already and you have no problem with getting feathers, then I would prioritize Eirika, then B!Cordelia, then the ponies.

Just now, XRay said:

I run glass cannons in TT. Two glass cannons and two dancers cheese Tempest Trials. I want my speed bonus and perfect runs.

I stopped running dancers once Azura and Olivia reached 2k Hero Merit. I still got A-rank in speed.

12 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

I stopped running dancers once Azura and Olivia reached 2k Hero Merit. I still got A-rank in speed.

I want my orbs and bonus feathers. HM on my other characters will go up naturally over time, but those bonus feathers will be gone if I do not rank high enough.

Just now, XRay said:

I want my orbs and bonus feathers. HM on my other characters will go up naturally over time, but those bonus feathers will be gone if I do not rank high enough.

...?

A-rank in speed is the max rank.

The score is more a factor of how many runs you put into it than what score you get in any particular run, anyway. And, unless you're earning far below minimum wage, just washing dishes should earn more feathers and orbs in a given time period than doing TT.

8 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

...?

A-rank in speed is the max rank.

The score is more a factor of how many runs you put into it than what score you get in any particular run, anyway. And, unless you're earning far below minimum wage, just washing dishes should earn more feathers and orbs in a given time period than doing TT.

I am not great at coming up with strategies, so once I found a team that works, I am sticking with them until the end. Getting max scores in as many runs as possible makes it easier to maintain my rank. I use my lunch break and bathroom break to do two runs so my stamina does not fill up, and I still could not get 10,000 feathers. I got 8,000 so it is not too bad, but it could be better.

Edited by XRay

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

I am not great at coming up with strategies, so once I found a team that works, I am sticking with them until the end. Getting max scores in as many runs as possible makes it easier to maintain my rank. I use my lunch break and bathroom break to do two runs so my stamina does not fill up, and I still could not get 10,000 feathers. I got 8,000 so it is not too bad, but it could be better.

Fair enough.

I just personally found TT sufficiently tedius that I'd rather pay, say, the 50 cents an hour or however much money I'm losing in terms of orbs/feathers and just read a book instead rather than keep grinding after 50k.

3 hours ago, Soul~! said:

Do people, liek, *5 characters just to skill-fodder them? Only feasible way I can see of getting, say, Life and Death 3 without pulling a *5.

What's sniping.

Also, try mono-colouring. >(

What @Ice Dragon said. I did it a couple of times for Reinhardt. It did get me a Shanna which was nice.

...it also got me an Oboro. :|

Edited by Zeo

My other question still stands. Do people *5 characters just to take away their skills? It's the only way I can see people taking level-3 skills consistently, like L&D 3 (which gives you the full +5 Atk/Spd benefit).

1 minute ago, Soul~! said:

My other question still stands. Do people *5 characters just to take away their skills? It's the only way I can see people taking level-3 skills consistently, like L&D 3 (which gives you the full +5 Atk/Spd benefit).

Yeah, I've done that before. Meet my 5* Donnel in hell, after he passed on his Brave Lance+ to Effie.

8 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

So, is it actually a thing? That sounds like a shitton of time and investment for a unit you're just sacrificing.

People are willing to do that for characters they love or for the optimal build. If I got a Minerva, I'm keeping her, period.

On the other hand, if I got a Jaffar, well I have plenty of great colorless units and I have other characters that really want, and make better use of that LnD3. Plus boons and banes come into play as well. Hana is nice and she has LnD, but if she's +RES/-ATK, well... that's pretty bad.

Edited by Zeo

9 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

My very first 5* promotion was such a sacrifice, and of the four I've done, two of them were such.

Gronnraven+ for Robin, Sharena, Blarblade+ for Linde, Nino. Next on the list is Ruby Sword+ for Olivia, actually.

Just now, Soul~! said:

So, is it actually a thing? That sounds like a shitton of time and investment for a unit you're just sacrificing.

You can take a look at the "how many 5-star characters do you have" thread. Some people report what they do with their promoted units.

5-star promotions for skills are usually done because the character you're giving the skill to is worth the investment, either because it's a really good unit or because you really like the character.

18 minutes ago, Soul~! said:

To be fair, most level 2 to level 3 skill upgrades are worth about as much as a +1 in terms of the match-up returns. (That is, L&D 2 vs. L&D 3 usually gives as much wins as giving a +1 level to a unit while other factors are held constant. Slightly more, I believe, but close enough.)

How do the Breaker skills work in this game? I thought I'd give Lancebreaker to Draug, but I couldn't due to weapon limitations, yet Reinhardt can learn it, even though he won't be able to attack back due to not being able to counter at melee range - or will that skill allow him to do so?

1 hour ago, Thane said:

How do the Breaker skills work in this game? I thought I'd give Lancebreaker to Draug, but I couldn't due to weapon limitations, yet Reinhardt can learn it, even though he won't be able to attack back due to not being able to counter at melee range - or will that skill allow him to do so?

Weaponbreaker skills can be taught to any unit that is not at a disadvantage to that weapon. For example, Draug has weapon triangle disadvantage to lances and therefore cannot learn Lancebreaker. Palla takes effective damage from bows and therefore cannot learn Bowbreaker.

Weaponbreaker skills prevent an opponent with that weapon type from performing follow-up attacks even if they are faster and give you an automatic follow-up attack. If you or your opponent cannot counterattack, the skill still affects the unit that can attack. For example, Lancebreaker will allow Reinhardt to double attack (for four hits if using Dire Thunder) enemy lances even if they cannot counterattack. Lancebreaker will prevent enemy lances from double attacking Reinhardt even if he cannot counterattack.

Note that every pair of "prevents follow-up attacks" and "always performs a follow-up attack" cancel out if applied to the same unit. For example, if Reinhardt with Lancebreaker attacks a lance user that can counterattack and has Quick Riposte (for example, Camus with Quick Riposte), Reinhardt will still double attack (four hits if using Dire Thunder) because Lancebreaker (the half that affects himself) is in effect, but the opponent will also be able to double attack as long as they have a 5-Spd advantage because Lancebreaker (the half that affects the opponent) and Quick Riposte cancel each other out.

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Weaponbreaker skills can be taught to any unit that is not at a disadvantage to that weapon. For example, Draug has weapon triangle disadvantage to lances and therefore cannot learn Lancebreaker. Palla takes effective damage from bows and therefore cannot learn Bowbreaker.

Weaponbreaker skills prevent an opponent with that weapon type from performing follow-up attacks even if they are faster and give you an automatic follow-up attack. If you or your opponent cannot counterattack, the skill still affects the unit that can attack. For example, Lancebreaker will allow Reinhardt to double attack (for four hits if using Dire Thunder) enemy lances even if they cannot counterattack. Lancebreaker will prevent enemy lances from double attacking Reinhardt even if he cannot counterattack.

Note that every pair of "prevents follow-up attacks" and "always performs a follow-up attack" cancel out if applied to the same unit. For example, if Reinhardt with Lancebreaker attacks a lance user that can counterattack and has Quick Riposte (for example, Camus with Quick Riposte), Reinhardt will still double attack (four hits if using Dire Thunder) because Lancebreaker (the affect that affects himself) is in effect, but the opponent will also be able to double attack as long as they have a 5-Spd advantage because Lancebreaker (the half that affects the opponent) and Quick Riposte cancel each other out.

Thanks a lot for the thorough explanation. Sounds like Lancebreaker is the way to go for Reinhardt, then. I would've loved giving Draug Swap and more HP, but I've only got so many Arthurs to go around.

Does anyone know how drastically BST changes with merges? I'm assuming it just changes by a couple of points. ...if that's the case, it's probably a better idea to use characters with higher overall BST instead of merged units, right?

3 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Does anyone know how drastically BST changes with merges? I'm assuming it just changes by a couple of points. ...if that's the case, it's probably a better idea to use characters with higher overall BST instead of merged units, right?

I do not know the specifics, but I am pretty sure BST is one of the less important factors in determining matches. Having a full, maxed out skill set is more important. At the highest tiers of the Arena, BST will matter again because everyone will have full skill sets, but merges are also a lot more common. I am not really sure if merges contributes to BST or if merging and BST is counted separately; and if they are separate, whether BST or merging counts more.

44 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Base stat total increases by 2 for every merge level, because that's how much stats a merge level gives you. (There's a certain order for it, but the long and short is that at +5 you have +2 to all stats, and at +10 you have +4 to all stats.)

It increases arena score by about 1 per level, though.

That said, stat total usually doesn't matter. Stat spread does.