Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Did the Azura hold a weapon? I've seen Wings of Mercy Azuras just attack instead and it's annoying.

Sapphire Lance and Azura was in no position to attack anybody (bridge map).

5 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Did the Azura hold a weapon? I've seen Wings of Mercy Azuras just attack instead and it's annoying.

If she is in attacking range of one of your units, or in the case of WoM, can potentially deal a lot of damage to your unit, the AI will always choose to attack instead of any other action.

Edited by Korath88

I literally just spent all 9 of my Crests trying to get a deathless run, and I failed. I must have given like a dozen people defense wins.

Bunny Lucina is such a weak link on my team. I'm pretty sure I can't make anything better than Julia/Lucina/Azura/B.Lucina, and I can say with certainty that at least half of my losses were because I replaced Reinhardt with B.Lucina.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

Decided to poke at the Arena with the BBGG team since I really didn't want to go back to Spring Lucina. Figured I could at least see what the competition looked like. Got one death facing off against triple +10s (with two blade tomes, of course) with a junk +1 Palla to drop their BST. Had a weird Draw Back misclick where I wanted Spring Chrom to draw Hector left, but it made locked onto up and drew him up. Of course, this put Chrom in range of the enemy Hector, who also had a Ninian behind him, so Chrom got ganked for basically not reason. Kinda pissed off about that. Ran into the exact same dragon team from last season, but the lava map actually worked out for me for once. They got all jammed up thanks to rallies and Ninian somehow got herself out front and it was all downhill for them from there. Just about got wrecked on the lava map a bit after that, though, since a Blazing Blade main character team (Eliwood +10, Hector +2, Lyn +8 and Ninian +0, all with SI, aside from, oddly enough, Ninian) was cleverly positioned to get Hector jammed up out front. I finagled things just enough to get Hector to run right while Eliwood got danced left, though, so he ran face first into Sharena and got owned. If I finish one more match without deaths, I can clear 4500 (feels really weird to be able to do that with two deaths), but I feel like it's not really worth blowing another crest for, so I'll just wait for tomorrow's rollover (even if things might end up a little wacky from the update).

What probably upsets me most about that second death is that it was otherwise a thing of beauty. Had Sharena Hone Hector up to 56 Atk and he one-shot both a Nino and a Spring Lucina.

13 minutes ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

Had a weird Draw Back misclick where I wanted Spring Chrom to draw Hector left, but it made locked onto up and drew him up.

Are you performing actions by tapping or dragging?

I find that it's virtually impossible for me to "misclick" when dragging unless I accidentally lift my finger up before I'm done. Drag the unit to the tile you want it to actually stand on when performing the action, then drag the unit to the target of the action. I've never had a unit perform an action from the wrong square before.

I kind of hope the Arena doesn't reset again tomorrow because of updates. I just got my first 7 streak deathless run ending up with a score of 4,492 which beats my personal best by almost 200. I think I'm going to push for 4500 this season.

It was weird...basically all the teams I faced were variations of 2 sword users, Young Tiki, and an axe user (usually Minerva). Sometimes there was a Male Robin thrown into the mix. I think I faced a Marth, Lucina, Young Tiki, and Minerva team at least 3 times.

12 minutes ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I kind of hope the Arena doesn't reset again tomorrow because of updates. I just got my first 7 streak deathless run ending up with a score of 4,492 which beats my personal best by almost 200. I think I'm going to push for 4500 this season.

It was weird...basically all the teams I faced were variations of 2 sword users, Young Tiki, and an axe user (usually Minerva). Sometimes there was a Male Robin thrown into the mix. I think I faced a Marth, Lucina, Young Tiki, and Minerva team at least 3 times.

Arena ends next week. Don't worry.

Unless the update somehow mess things up.

After a remarkably dumb misplay on my last game of the run, my first clocked in at 4450, 1 death. Unsatisfied, I burned ~10 dueling crests to roll teams that didn't have a dancer or green mage in the lead. Of course, I ended up running into both, including Camilla-Spring and Robin (M) with B Tomebreaker. On the same team. On the lava map.

I had a ton of close calls, but Reposition and Dance pulled through. Eirika even had to utilize Drag Back on two separate occasions, which came in clutch.

I ended with 4528, no deaths. Not a great score, but provided Sharena is in the next rotation I have a much better team planned for the coming season.

Units used:

Spoiler

Lucina-Spring (+Def -Res) @ Blárblade / Moonbow

Eirika (+Res -HP)

Ninian (+Def -Res) @ Hone Atk

Lucina (+Spd -HP) @ Fury / Swordbreaker / Reposition

Currently ranked 2059 with no defense wins so far.

Since I already went and did 6 run on accident, I decided to burn one more crest for the heck of it. Got a deathless run with score of 4532. Ranked 1118 currently. I hope this one stays at top 10k.

Team is: Julia (165), Seliph+1 (180), Palla (170), New Moon+Wings Azura (164) = 679 BST.

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I find that it's virtually impossible for me to "misclick" when dragging unless I accidentally lift my finger up before I'm done. Drag the unit to the tile you want it to actually stand on when performing the action, then drag the unit to the target of the action. I've never had a unit perform an action from the wrong square before.

You can do the same thing with tapping.  And, personally, I find myself less likely to accidentally double tap than release the dragging motion.  Just make sure for the tap method that if you tap the enemy and want to look at a different attack position, tap elsewhere first (to deselect the enemy) or it will automatically move you and then attack.

6 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Dragging. Sometimes I tap very, very slowly if I'm wanting to be precise. I think I was just going a bit too fast with my strokes here (I've caught the phone detecting movement slightly off my finger before and usually catch it). It's something like the fourth time it's happened overall (part of why I do sometimes do the very slow tap), but only the second time it's ever happened in the Arena (the first was over a month ago when I wanted to drag for an attack on an enemy with M!Robin, but ended up selecting Sharena and Swapping her instead, which pretty much ruined my deathless streak four games in).

Managed to get somewhere in the 4400s with one death.  Wanted to try out my new team with bunny Lucina now that I've finally gotten her mostly done.  Ended up with a deathless run of exactly 4500.  While I like the team, it isn't... exactly very high BST between bunny Lucina and Azura.  If the Askr trio does indeed rotate, I may raise up Alphonse to swap in for red Lucina on seasons where the available units hurt my other arena team.

4022 points after six rounds and lost the seventh. That hurts because I just lost all hope of ever ranking that high with the new system. 

RIP Top 100 ranking dreams 4/11/17

....I bet I'm going to be aiming for top 10k or something super duper lame in the new system. This sucks lol

Edited by cogawak

Spent a crest to test the new system out, using this team: Eldigan, Julia, Spring Chrom, and Brave Lance(not yet+) Effie.  I was seeing advanced score ranges up to 680 points, which is a lot higher than the 656 maximum I saw this morning with Eldigan, Julia, Spring Chrom, and Fury Ninian.  

The difference here is that under the old BST rules, Ninian has a 174 rating, while Effie has a 168 rating.  

Nobody is merged, and the only merged units I saw was a flier emblem team where everyone was +2.  

Seems like they already eased up on the BST thing. Got a score of 4454 with 5* Reinhardt, 4* Gunter, 4* Olivia, and 5* Lucina.

Also, in other news, I really hate facing dancers in the arena. Lost two units in my very last battle because a dancer sent FRobin to a location that Lucina couldn't reach. 

On one hand, I feel like I wasted crests this morning trying to get a good Arena score before the maintenance hit.  On the other hand, it's pretty reassuring that IS was smart enough to not make it so those who got a streak before the maintenance had an upper hand on rankings.

One of those "I'm fine with the result, but I wish they were more transparent" sort of things, I guess.

2 minutes ago, GinRei said:

On one hand, I feel like I wasted crests this morning trying to get a good Arena score before the maintenance hit.  On the other hand, it's pretty reassuring that IS was smart enough to not make it so those who got a streak before the maintenance had an upper hand on rankings.

One of those "I'm fine with the result, but I wish they were more transparent" sort of things, I guess.

I wasted about 5 crests gunning for a deathless run this morning, and with these new point totals, I should be able to get 2 deaths and still beat my earlier score.  It's frustrating, but I wanted to be "safe."  

Is there a way in game to see a character's ACTUAL rating, or do you have to calculate it yourself?  Because sorting by rating is showing me the exact same numbers it did 12 hours ago.

Doesn't the new arena changes make Fury even better? Since skills no longer contribute to total stats when deciding matchups a Fury team will be matched against "normal" teams and no merged teams. Obviously it won't inflate ratings anymore but the Fury team should have a huge advantage over a "normal" team.

They said that IS teams and "vanilla" teams would be unlikely to be paired against each other.  And most people used Fury in order to artificially inflate their BST to get a higher score.  But yes, you'll have an easier time fighting in your score range as is now.