Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

3 minutes ago, GinRei said:

They said that IS teams and "vanilla" teams would be unlikely to be paired against each other.  And most people used Fury in order to artificially inflate their BST to get a higher score.  But yes, you'll have an easier time fighting in your score range as is now.

There's a guy on GameFAQs who uses vanilla teams, or Kagero with one change and no other changes running into full fury teams post patch.

Either its a binary "IS used y/n" filter, or its uh, not a very good filter range if it exists at all.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy shit the arena is scary now.

An advanced team for me is now around 710 points (versus 658 before), and it's basically all just +10 Sanaki, +10 Robin, +10 Julia, and a +2 or so something else with full skill inheritance.

Between Ninian and my team being comprised entirely out of mages, it hasn't been giving me too much trouble, but holy crap everything is scary.

43 minutes ago, TheNiddo said:

There's a guy on GameFAQs who uses vanilla teams, or Kagero with one change and no other changes running into full fury teams post patch.

Either its a binary "IS used y/n" filter, or its uh, not a very good filter range if it exists at all.

I think it's more: Inheritance is just part of arena score calculation, in addition to equipped skills, +Levels, Rarity, and non-weapon BST. So a high BST team would still run into a low BST team with tons of skills, if the high BST team doesn't have much skills themselves.

13 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Holy shit the arena is scary now.

An advanced team for me is now around 710 points (versus 658 before), and it's basically all just +10 Sanaki, +10 Robin, +10 Julia, and a +2 or so something else with full skill inheritance.

Between Ninian and my team being comprised entirely out of mages, it hasn't been giving me too much trouble, but holy crap everything is scary.

RIP Ice Dragon's hopes and dreams

I'm actually pretty excited since this means I'll no longer be matched up against teams of 3-4 +10s :P

15 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

RIP Ice Dragon's hopes and dreams

I'm actually pretty excited since this means I'll no longer be matched up against teams of 3-4 +10s :P

Well, it's not all bad.

I finished my set. Only one death. I didn't realize a +10 Lucina had Moonbow instead of the usual Luna and got Robin killed. Oops.

Score is 4,894.
Rank is 70!!! o.O

I"m expecting my rank to drop to 500-800 by the end of the week, but holy crap. TWO DIGITS.

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

Well, it's not all bad.

I finished my set. Only one death. I didn't realize a +10 Lucina had Moonbow instead of the usual Luna and got Robin killed. Oops.

Score is 4,894.
Rank is 70!!! o.O

I"m expecting my rank to drop to 500-800 by the end of the week, but holy crap. TWO DIGITS.

:OOOOOOOOO

Holy shit 4894

I wonder if my max possible score will be lower now with the new matchmaking since all of my units are +0s and +1s

2 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

:OOOOOOOOO

Holy shit 4894

I wonder if my max possible score will be lower now with the new matchmaking since all of my units are +0s and +1s

Nope. I ended up running nearly the same team as my deathless run last week, got one death, and scored 90 points higher. 

Edited by Eridras

Huh. Well I'll see what ends up happening. 

I'm not gonna bother spamming crests without Arena quests, so I won't know my score/rank until halfway into the week (longer if I keep dying and have to reset my runs)

1 minute ago, Eridras said:

Nope. I ended up running nearly the same team as my deathless run last week, got one death, and scored 90 points higher. 

It entirely depends on the composition of your team. I'm running the same team as last week, got one death this week, and scored 260 higher.

It's almost certainly due to the fact that my entire team consists of low-stat-total units with three of them merged to +9 or +10, meaning my current opponents are way stronger than what I used to be set against.

Oh hey, I'm getting 676 a run now. Used to get 632 or so. This is nice.

the enemy power level I'm looking at are the same (40s no merge, my bst's kinda low other than Ryoma) although with more hectors now. This is nice because Ryoma shreds Hectors but also Nino with desperation up also shreds Hectors so it's just more easy kills for me. I think most of them have some sort of inheritance which makes sense since my team is pretty SI heavy, but that's ok, Nino can deal with anyone with Swordbreaker and Ryoma can deal with anyone with Green Tomebreaker since those can't exist on the same unit anyway 

Edited by Thor Odinson

2 hours ago, TheNiddo said:

I have a friend with the reverse problem. He has a team with 2x Lv40+1 and 2x Lv40 that was decked out with Fury 3 and other custom skills. He keeps getting 4x Lv40+0 teams with default skills as opponents even under Advanced. He just steamrolls his opponents. He is pretty annoyed that the game won't pair him against opponents that are even equally strong and chooses to tank his score instead. He used to be a Top 1000 player but may now have problems making Top 5000. He's also one of those Lunatics who liked fighting Lv40+7s so he loses out on have fun battles as well.

My alt account is having a much easier time. Maybe because it has hardly any SI. Ryoma + Hector + Azura + Spring Chrom 4684 with a single death due to miscalculation. My only SI is Hector with Pivot. Did not face any merged teams and low SI except for one with WoM Olivia + WoM Hector + Brave Lance Effie.

One team even had a level 39 Roy...

Edited by Gengar

8 minutes ago, Team Rocket Elite said:

I have a friend with the reverse problem. He has a team with 2x Lv40+1 and 2x Lv40 that was decked out with Fury 3 and other custom skills. He keeps getting 4x Lv40+0 teams with default skills as opponents even under Advanced. He just steamrolls his opponents. He is pretty annoyed that the game won't pair him against opponents that are even equally strong and chooses to tank his score instead. He used to be a Top 1000 player but may now have problems making Top 5000. He's also one of those Lunatics who liked fighting Lv40+7s so he loses out on have fun battles as well.

That sounds like my problem too. I have zero merges on my team yet I was battling full +10 teams before and ranked in top 1k. I wonder if inheriting a bunch of skills and not learning them counts to artificially raise power value on my units. 

36 minutes ago, Team Rocket Elite said:

I haven't played since the update yet (waiting for the reset for new swords), but it sounds like I'm going to run into the same problem...

I had two +1s and two +0s on my team but regularly ran into +10 teams and was even able to make top 1k every now and then. I really hope I don't get matched up against lower teams that cause my score to tank :/

(I, too, am one of those madmen who actually enjoyed fighting against merged teams with my non-merged team. Adds a nice level of challenge)

Completely opposite for me. I used to fight teams with little to no SI, but now I'm fighting decked out enemies, and my score per match has increased by at least 25 points.

Spent a few crests and got a perfect run worth 4,766. Preparation screen makes the bridge map a joke.

Edited by Korath88

Yay, a 7-streak! My previous runs had no less than five deaths in three battles, after which I just wanted to throw in the towel.
But hey, the arena changes are beneficial for me at the moment:

YYd5PwTFKLE.jpg

Score of 4,750, my newest highest ever! 

HZsgYm0Ui0M.jpg

Right now it qualifies for rank 631 but obviously, it won't last for the whole week. Hope I stay in top 10k as I did last week or two!
I definitely love Michalis; the man is priceless for dealing with Lindes and Robins. He can also tank Takumi reasonably well and chops lances like nobody's business.

But my queen of the skies was the one true MVP of the run, tanking a pineapple shot after I forgot Eirika has Drag Back.
After that I immediately granted her the HP +3 seal. She definitely deserved it.

Score of 4536

• Ground Zero (2AM PST Apr 12) - #5339

From the very small sample size I've played thus far, my matches are worth 670-686, so carrying over that streak with deaths from Monday makes for a really pitiful score compared to the current potential. I expect to have a new deathless streak that's much higher after the next rollover. Kinda surprised that this is even top 10k when it's so deflated in the new system.

Using the same BBGG team of Linde, Sharena, Spring Chrom and Hector and things are feeling abnormally easy. Granted, this is probably because all the +10s are gone, yet my team was basically configured to take them on. Opponents I've faced thus far have just been +1s. They all had very heavy SI, but... a lot of it was very quirky and irrelevant to our combat. Some of it's still your cookie cutter Desperation and Vantage builds, but at the end of the day, I'm having a really easy time. I'm almost kinda sad since this team could actually challenge +10s without getting crushed (whereas the Spring Lucina team was just pure frustration against many of the +10 blade mage teams). Ah, well. Small sample size, so maybe I'll still see some mid-range merges later.

Oh, and dunno if it's just because the equippable items are too new, but I got all 3 (thanks to just happening to have the requisite units ready) and threw them on my team, but nothing I fought had them.

4615 - One death (I really need a best IV Hana).

Complicated before this 7 battle run. I had a Horse Emblem against whose I win with difficulty before encounter a team with two green mage in the volcano map. Can't win (one unit left).

I have to say this... there's no original team. Too bad...

Got a score of 4,500, it was a one death and the first 3 matches were done before the update. I'm currently ranked 6,542
I'm mostly getting around 670 points per advance with the last one at 682, mostly faced teams that didn't have SI, have some skills but are at level 1, and the last match had all team members with some passed down skills at level 2.

These are the skills that I have on each members:

Felicia: Iceberg, Reposition, Poison Strike 3

Sharena: E.Shield and Drag Back for B

Cherche: Brave Axe+, Wings of Mercy 2, removed her Pivot.

Selena: Bonfire, I still have her Triangle Adept at 2

Spoiler

4ibZbyJ.png

Scored 4736 with the usual core + 4 star palla.  The arena... feels different now... not sure how to put it but my run felt a bit easier than pre-update ones.

The defense team also claimed its first victim with a score of 285 (last week's was about ~265).

6 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Score of 4,750, my newest highest ever! 

Right now it qualifies for rank 631 but obviously, it won't last for the whole week. Hope I stay in top 10k as I did last week or two!

Dropped to rank 1,338 in the course of six hours. No defence wins yet.