Unfitting VAs

The voices of Virion and Donnel kinda startle me occasionally, not because they're bad (they're both rather fitting in Heroes, actually), but simply because they're different from how they sounded in Awakening, where they both had very distinct voices. Olivia's voice sounds quite a bit higher than before, also, which is odd because isn't she voiced by the same person in both games?

As for those who are getting voices for the first time, I actually really like most of them. Barst, Cecilia, Florina, Shanna and especially Serra all sound excellent. The only one I've heard so far that I kinda don't like is Raven's.

I've only really listened to the characters I've pulled myself, though, and I only have approximately 45 unique ones.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, SecondWorld said:

How did this thread go on for so long without any mention of Raven, I mean damn. His voice actor, despite what he's most famous for in anime, is exceptionally bad at playing angsty/edgy characters and his angsty/edgy voice for Raven is hilariously bad and unfitting. Dude sounds like a kid trying to sound cool and grown up.

If this voice had to be in the game it would've been more fitting for Raigh, probably.

I haven't heard much of Raven yet, is there anywhere we can hear the voice clips?

EDIT @RadiantDragon Oh yeah I know what you mean about the Awakening chars; that seems to be the case for the bulk of them, honestly... I noticed that with Frederick, Tharja, and somewhat Tiki as well, where they VA the characters noticeably different. My theory for this is that it's been long enough since they all VA'd Awakening that they half-forgot what the characters actually sounded like... For a VA who does a bunch of work on multiple projects yearly I think that's kinda understandable?

Honestly though what baffles me is that if they're just gonna hire the same VA again, why not just reuse the audio from Awakening......??

If there's one character who benefitted from her VA not remembering what she sounds like though, it's Kagero. I remember her sounding quite girlish and high-pitched in Fates, where now she sounds much more womanly, serious, and deadly... I'm into it.

Edited by BANRYU

I didn't read the other posts but Lyn's voice was a MASSIVE disappointment. If you hear her voice in Brawl you are automatically intimidated by her presence. Every time she came out of an assist trophy we'll say something like "Dude they got Lyn". When she comes out of the trophy in Brawl she says "I'll handle this" like a fricking boss. And when she slices you to pieces she'll say "watch my blade" like a fricking assassination. But her voice in this game is so underwhelming. She sounds too nice to be an absolute psycho. Just makes you want to cry :cry::sob:

Edited by Arcanite

47 minutes ago, SecondWorld said:

How did this thread go on for so long without any mention of Raven, I mean damn. His voice actor, despite what he's most famous for in anime, is exceptionally bad at playing angsty/edgy characters and his angsty/edgy voice for Raven is hilariously bad and unfitting. Dude sounds like a kid trying to sound cool and grown up.

If this voice had to be in the game it would've been more fitting for Raigh, probably.

The delivery sells it, IMO.  I'm too busy laughing my ass off to care about how fitting it is for Raven.

'sides, he's an edgy kid, anyway. :P:

7 minutes ago, eclipse said:

The delivery sells it, IMO.  I'm too busy laughing my ass off to care about how fitting it is for Raven.

'sides, he's an edgy kid, anyway. :P:

Oh it's hilarious for sure, Raven is ironically one of my favorite characters in Heroes because of it.

48 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

I haven't heard much of Raven yet, is there anywhere we can hear the voice clips?

Tried looking but couldn't find anything. Maybe in a LP somewhere?

I have seen Roy come up several times here and I think that people are a little to quick to call him too old sounding. I don't think that his voice is too deep for him, and saying he sounds like an adult is a bit of an exaggeration. 15 yr olds are teenagers and to me, Roy sounds like that, a teenager. I am 15 and "young" might not be the very first word you would use to describe it (maybe one of the first, but not THE first). Some people's voices can be naturally deep for their age, and others sound naturally high for their age. (Though Roy's artwork doesn't do any favors). 

1 hour ago, Arcanite said:

I didn't read the other posts but Lyn's voice was a MASSIVE disappointment. If you hear her voice in Brawl you are automatically intimidated by her presence. Every time she came out of an assist trophy we'll say something like "Dude they got Lyn". When she comes out of the trophy in Brawl she says "I'll handle this" like a fricking boss. And when she slices you to pieces she'll say "watch my blade" like a fricking assassination. But her voice in this game is so underwhelming. She sounds too nice to be an absolute psycho. Just makes you want to cry :cry::sob:

Maybe I'm alone here but I did NOT like her voice in Brawl. Way too deep/womanly for a free-spirited teenager, IMO. Personally, the voice I imagined for her prior to this game is quite close to the one she was given =3= so I'm fine with it, I guess ¯\_(.x.)_/¯

Edited by BANRYU

5 hours ago, Crecentful said:

Ephraims is probably the worst of the lot. Way too high pitched and doesn't fit his personality whatsoever

Amusing that you said that, since his JP VA speaks in rude "Ore-sama" talk with deep voice. :)

One of the many reasons I prefer playing this with JP audio

2 hours ago, Arcanite said:

Really? I thought her voice was very deep in Brawl. I think the one in heroes matches way better lol. But to each other own. 

59 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

Maybe I'm alone here but I did NOT like her voice in Brawl. Way too deep/womanly for a free-spirited teenager, IMO. Personally, the voice I imagined for her prior to this game is quite close to the one she was given =3= so I'm fine with it, I guess ¯\_(.x.)_/¯

Lyn's voice in Brawl is awful. Makes her sound twice her age.

At least she sounds her age now.

I hate Caeda's voice and artwork. If both work well together, I find they don't fit her personality at all. They look too "stuck-up", when she's supposed to be pure-hearted, smart, brave, etc. Her VA in the anime was much better IMO.

Aside from that, Cindy Robinson completely missed Hinoka and Peri, Julie Ann Taylor, I like her a lot and her execution was good but she sounds more like Cordelia in her other roles than when she dubs Cordelia (Flora is closer to Cordelia than Caeldori and Heroes!Cordelia), and some other that re-took their roles but kinda missed it sometimes (Lon'qu, Jakob, etc)

1 hour ago, BANRYU said:

Well She's 18 In the west, which is technically an adult

Yeah, Brawl was where I first heard Lyn, so when I actually got to see what she was like in 7, I was like "that voice doesn't suit her at all,". 

Bryce Papenbrook was great as Henry in Awakening. But in Heroes? He just sounds kinda forced and irritating sadly. 

Michael Sinterniklaas does a good Takumi. But his voice for Niles sounds too light for the character, if you get what I mean. 

Cindy Robinson is passable as Hinoka I suppose. Her Peri however, basically sounds like a weird impression of EG Daily's voice for the character... also trying to sound like the JP VA? Not a big fan honestly. At least she's still fantastic as Libra and Aversa though.

I like the voice cast overall however. With Shanna, Tiki, M!Corrin, Lyn, and Virion being some of my favourites! Julianne Alexander is once again an absolute joy to listen to as Felicia, and I'm glad they got "Walden James" back for Subaki and Jagen. Because he brings an interesting air to his roles I feel.

Why does the English version of Heroes credit the Japanese voice actors when there isn't even an option to switch their voices (unless you switch languages entirely, and download an additional language pack)? If you're allowed to download the Japanese language pack, I (and all the weeaboos of the English speaking world) would love the option to switch back and forth between the voices, like in Awakening.

As for unfitting... yeah, everyone's covered why Roy's is bad. To be fair, his Japanese voice was lower than expected (although not as low as his English voice). I also hate Lilina's, it's grating to the ears, and her Japanese voice is really cute and normal.

I actually like Raigh's! The Japanese version is a bit higher, of course, but it captures that emo/loner vibe Raigh gives off. Lyn's is weird; oh, and I personally don't really like Marth's English voice that much, but probably because I'm used to hearing his Smash voice.

11 hours ago, BANRYU said:

Roy, Roy, and Roy. Also Raigh a little bit. But did I mention Roy? Because holy jeez I can't think of a more egregious instance of 'anime kid who was clearly VA'd by an adult'-- Isn't Roy supposed to be like 13? Because he sounds like 30. I dunno what exactly I was expecting, maybe something along the lines of Pit's voice in KI:U / SSB4...? But hell, I'd at least expect the VA to TRY to pretend to do a kid voice. Raigh is a similar situation, just not quite as bad.

Roy is 15, not 13.  Raigh, however, is 13.

7 minutes ago, Iris said:

Why does the English version of Heroes credit the Japanese voice actors when there isn't even an option to switch their voices (unless you switch languages entirely, and download an additional language pack)?

Wait, do they credit the Japanese voice actors? The character pages have credits only for the English VAs and the artists.

I'm generally fine with Heroes' dub, so I don't have much to say on this topic. I pulled Henry yesterday, and he's the worst one I've heard so far.

24 minutes ago, Carnation said:

Wait, do they credit the Japanese voice actors? The character pages have credits only for the English VAs and the artists.

I'm generally fine with Heroes' dub, so I don't have much to say on this topic. I pulled Henry yesterday, and he's the worst one I've heard so far.

Oh, I'm a dummy, those are the artists. Thanks for the clarification! Makes me wonder why some Artists/VAs aren't credited . . . did they not want to be?

23 minutes ago, Iris said:

Oh, I'm a dummy, those are the artists. Thanks for the clarification! Makes me wonder why some Artists/VAs aren't credited . . . did they not want to be?

It's probably a union issue in the case of the English VA's (Such as Laura Bailey being uncredited for Lucina and Palla).

No idea on the artists.

1 hour ago, Brand_Of_The_Exalt said:

I don't think Laura Bailey voiced Palla. Her voice doesn't fit and there are two different "-" in the game data if I remember well.

I mean, Palla's voice sounds pretty close to Rise (from Persona 4) So I'm not sure who else it could be really haha.

15 hours ago, Anacybele said:

And Effie's voice always sounded too forcibly deep and it just doesn't work for her. But this is really more a complaint about her design than anything, because she's meant to be a very strong and tough woman, yet her design doesn't look like it at all. She doesn't look strong at all with those skinny arms and legs. Her face looks as feminine and delicate as a lot of other typical females in this series. When I think of a tough strong woman, I think of someone like Echidna or Flavia, not Effie.

In the Japanese version of Fates, Effie has a soft, girly voice. She is supposed to come across as being rather dainty and feminine so that there is humor in the sheer irony that a character like that is so bafflingly strong. The English version messed up the joke by making her a stereotypical musclehead "DO YOU EVEN LIFT" woman, but obviously, her design didn't change to match it.

--
As for voices I don't like...

Abel: It's fine when you're just poking him in the status screen, but when you click on him on a map and he squeaks out an "Of course!" I just have to laugh. It sounds so different from his regular speaking voice, like my voice is deeper than that!

Anna: I really miss her more mature voice from Awakening...

Cordelia: It's not the VA specifically as it's the same one from Awakening, but I don't remember her sounding so... depressed all the time?

Florina: Not a big fan of squeaky toy voices.

Linde: I barely know anything about her character, but it was really strange looking at the bright-eyed, smiling face of her artwork and hearing a voice that sounds so solemn.

Lyn: I haven't gotten her yet, so I don't know what her regular voice lines sound like, but she sounds like she has a sore throat in her battle grunts and they freak me out.

Niles: It's different so it sucks I much preferred how he sounded in Fates in voice and delivery.

Peri: Man, I thought her smoker voice in Fates was bad, but this "squeaky-weaky" voice actually makes me miss it.

Raigh: I don't dislike the voice specifically, but it doesn't work with how tiny his artwork portrays him as.

The rest I'm either okay with or haven't heard. I didn't think Raven's suited him at first glance, but some of the delivery in his lines cracks me up. There are plenty of good voices, too. Barst's in particular is freakin' fantastic. "I'm just a... guy who chops wood. Hehe, that's all..."

4 minutes ago, Delfino said:

In the Japanese version of Fates, Effie has a soft, girly voice. She is supposed to come across as being rather dainty and feminine so that there is humor in the sheer irony that a character like that is so bafflingly strong. The English version messed up the joke by making her a stereotypical musclehead "DO YOU EVEN LIFT" woman, but obviously, her design didn't change to match it.

Wow, the localization sure did mess up the joke then. :/

5 minutes ago, Delfino said:

The rest I'm either okay with or haven't heard. I didn't think Raven's suited him at first glance, but some of the delivery in his lines cracks me up. There are plenty of good voices, too. Barst's in particular is freakin' fantastic. "I'm just a... guy who chops wood. Hehe, that's all..."

That moment you realize that Barst sounds like your hot high school chemistry teacher..... Forever scarred. XD