What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

10 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

According to in-universe speculation, which is probably correct, the Agarthans don't want the war to end. It makes sense; once the conflict is ended, then folks like Hubert and Lysithea will turn their full attention to hunting them down. If you assume the Agarthans don't just want revenge, but also want to control the surface world, then the war dragging on gives them more opportunities to start building up their shadowy power structures within the various nations again. Or that's the best I've got, anyway.

Yeah that feels a lot more like "the writers wanted to throw in some more maps and remembered they exist" than any kind of actual intelligence behind things. It's not like the Agarthans don't have some kind of plans they can do. They have some kind of connection to Arval. But they wanted to leave all that for the secret route. Which, on retrospect, I think was a bit stupid. I liked the idea of the secret route when playing the game, especially since I didn't get it on my first playthrough, but now I can't help but feel that regulating that stuff to, effectively optional content hurt both the Arval stuff and the main story by making it both important enough to be interesting but also irrelevant.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like Gilbert more than Shamir (which wasn't the case a couple years ago closer to Three Houses release), he's a more interesting and well-written character, in my opinion. I like him a little more than a couple of the students, too.

25 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I actually like Gilbert more than Shamir (which wasn't the case a couple years ago closer to Three Houses release), he's a more interesting and well-written character, in my opinion. I like him a little more than a couple of the students, too.

Shamir might be my least favourite character in Three Houses. She has a cool look, but pretty much nothing else. I think she's a bit better in Three Hopes as Shez is a good character for her to bounce off and they made her a tiny bit plot important in one chapter, but she still feels quite shallow compared to most of the cast.

For me Gilbert is a character that, while I personally don`t like, I do think he is well written. The paralysing guilt, self loathing and general shame makes sense in the context of Fhaergus chivalric values. I also like that, while he is a bad dad, he isn`t this horribly scummy peace of garbage, like many other bad dads in fiction tend to be.

Shamir meanwhile does nothing for me. Her character is meh, her supports are whatever and as a unit, she has only ever been okay.

Edited by Metal Flash

I think Shamir is fine enough but she’s mostly a filler character to round out the knights of Seiros. And among their ranks she doesn’t have connection to big players like Rhea and Byleth that her peers like Catharine, Alois and Seteth have.

Gilbert meanwhile is pretty much among the main characters of Azure Moon. A non entity in all the other routes but a main character of Azure Moon all the same. He’s also unlikable in ways that are at least interesting. Chivalry driving him to self harm and parental neglect shows there’s a darker side to the Kingdoms chivalry. Both him and Rodrique aren’t depicted as bad people but chivalry does seem to negatively warp their priorities. I think that’s a pretty interesting bit of worldbuilding.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think Shamir is fine enough but she’s mostly a filler character to round out the knights of Seiros. And among their ranks she doesn’t have connection to big players like Rhea and Byleth that her peers like Catharine, Alois and Seteth have.

I don't think Alois has much in relation to big players, as you put it. He knows Jeralt and that's certainly helpful, but not really critical at any point outside of the opening (uh, well, at least in Three Houses, in Three Hopes is somehow becomes everything he's about for no real reason). Alois is memorable thanks to his great personality (and being one of the few platonic S rank options in the game).

On 6/18/2023 at 10:03 PM, Dark Holy Elf said:

Yeah, I actually quite like the Begnion senate! A lot more than the Agarthans. I think it's partly because they feel very real to me. Lekain is a conceited blowhard, but he has political savvy, lots of power, and access to fancy magic besides, and this combination makes him incredibly dangerous; he manages to accomplish many terrible things in his life before he is finally stopped. The other thing I like better about the senate is that every terrible thing they do, they do for an understandable and human reasons - to gain power and wealth. The Agarthans frequently do evil things for no stated reason except that they are evil. There are speculations about what the point of e.g. Remire was, but the Watsonian explanation is simple: they do it to show the player They Are Bad.

Funny, because I think most everything the Begnion senate did was just to show they are evil bastards (Hetzel and Oliver are the only ones of the lot that felt even remotely human). How else can you explain murdering the last apostle, then blaming, and engineering the genocide of, a bunch of pacifists??? Because I don't think I can explain that with gaining power or wealth (speaking of, they were only really in the war in part 3 for the sake of their ethnic cleansing, aka genocide). Also, once I look past the blood pact and the political power, Lekain just... doesn't have much else. The only reason Begnion didn't get ganged up on by like every other nation on Tellius was because of the blood pacts that kept Kilvas and Daein from defying them (of course, come part 4, this becomes moot). Valtome and Numida were not much better, with the former having no qualms about attacking Elincia despite her being willing to disarm herself - which Zelgius and the Laguz Alliance respected her willingness to do - and the latter being responsible for the situation in part 1, and the moment things go to shit in Daein, he disowns Jarod, blaming him for all the occupying army's misdeeds... which he does again when he runs into Micaiah near the end of the game. Of course, Micaiah calls him out on his bullshit. For that matter, most every other Daein character from part 1 has some choice words for him too.

This said...

Capture is useless in Conquest. It's not enough that I have to put up with a lackluster unit who has little going for him stat wise just to have access to it, but also that I need to set up a prison when at that point there's better choices for my Dragon Vein points, AND that they have to be convinced or bribed too. Overall, it's too much hoops to jump through for too little profit.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

How else can you explain murdering the last apostle, then blaming, and engineering the genocide of, a bunch of pacifists??? Because I don't think I can explain that with gaining power or wealth (speaking of, they were only really in the war in part 3 for the sake of their ethnic cleansing, aka genocide).

Assassinations and genocide happen in real history too, for very human (if evil) reasons.

The assassination of the previous apostle is obvious. She herself was extremely popular/powerful, and her heir was an infant... i.e. there was effectively no apostle to oppose the senate once she was out of the way. This let the senate amass a lot more power than the otherwise would have. Lekain spends most of the years leading up to the game as the de facto ruler of Begnion.

I can think of at least two reasons for Lekain to instigate the Serenes massacre:

• It gives the people of Begnion someone to blame for the death of their beloved leader (lest they otherwise suspect the actual perpetrators).
  • It allows many herons to be seized as captive slaves. Recall that Lekain and every prominent member of his coterie is profiting immensely from the slave trade, of which herons are the most valuable.

All of these link directly back to their wealth and power.

On 6/19/2023 at 4:45 PM, Florete said:

I remember when I first played RD I thought the Begnion senate was kinda silly and unrealistic. Now that I'm older I can see how real they actually are lmao.

Yep, I definitely agree with this and went through a similar development of thought myself.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Funny, because I think most everything the Begnion senate did was just to show they are evil bastards (Hetzel and Oliver are the only ones of the lot that felt even remotely human). 

If we change human to humane, then yeah. But otherwise...what humans are you hanging around with? Because Oliver is a seriously weird guy. He's definitely the senator that feels the least like a real human. People like that certainly exist, but there are a lot more Lekains in the world than Olivers.

Edited by Jotari

58 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

The assassination of the previous apostle is obvious. She herself was extremely popular/powerful, and her heir was an infant... i.e. there was effectively no apostle to oppose the senate once she was out of the way. This let the senate amass a lot more power than the otherwise would have. Lekain spends most of the years leading up to the game as the de facto ruler of Begnion.

I can think of at least two reasons for Lekain to instigate the Serenes massacre:

• It gives the people of Begnion someone to blame for the death of their beloved leader (lest they otherwise suspect the actual perpetrators).
  • It allows many herons to be seized as captive slaves. Recall that Lekain and every prominent member of his coterie is profiting immensely from the slave trade, of which herons are the most valuable.

All of these link directly back to their wealth and power.

There's another reason behind the assassination: the apostle was going to publicly reveal that all apostles have been Branded; the senators didn't want this to happen, both out of their own prejudices and because many of the systems they've benefitted from, such as Laguz slavery, depended on the Laguz and Branded continuing to be part of the underclass of Begnion society.

Haven't spoken up on Engage much yet, but one thing I don't think has been discussed much is the class variety: namely, how some of the class groups don't have that much.

Ignoring DLC, Armour has only General (with all three weapon types), Mystical and Covert has three classes each including their Lord exclusives, Qi Adept has two counting Dancer,  Flying has two with three variants each and the Elusian units, Backup has seven different classes and Hero has two variants for 8 and Cavalry has 5 different classes with three weapon variants, not even counting Royal Knight or Cupido or Avenir for 18 total. This bothers me personally as it somewhat limits use cases for some of the Emblems in this game (Qi Adept having 1 class for most units that I don't see wanting to reclass for just to use particular emblems), while also making me feel like it's rough to try and get some of the unit types integrated into the party with the options they have (the Covert options can feel pretty limited and DLC doesn't even give them another option).

I don't know that I've put it all that well, but I end up feeling like some more classes could have been nice.

10 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Capture is useless in Conquest. It's not enough that I have to put up with a lackluster unit who has little going for him stat wise just to have access to it, but also that I need to set up a prison when at that point there's better choices for my Dragon Vein points, AND that they have to be convinced or bribed too. Overall, it's too much hoops to jump through for too little profit.

As someone who has benched the actual units for them, I can get that few of them are stand out better than actual units outside of niche stuff like Rallyman and that hit rates can be shakier without supports available, but I'll use them regardless. The bribery is also an annoyance admittedly, but it's not something that's given me much grief.

I'd make the point that my incompetence is why I haven't cleared Lunatic up to now with them. Well that and First Blood not working on them, not even the bosses, doesn't seem like it shouldn't be useable on them, but alas.

46 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

Haven't spoken up on Engage much yet, but one thing I don't think has been discussed much is the class variety: namely, how some of the class groups don't have that much.

Ignoring DLC, Armour has only General (with all three weapon types), Mystical and Covert has three classes each including their Lord exclusives, Qi Adept has two counting Dancer,  Flying has two with three variants each and the Elusian units, Backup has seven different classes and Hero has two variants for 8 and Cavalry has 5 different classes with three weapon variants, not even counting Royal Knight or Cupido or Avenir for 18 total. This bothers me personally as it somewhat limits use cases for some of the Emblems in this game (Qi Adept having 1 class for most units that I don't see wanting to reclass for just to use particular emblems), while also making me feel like it's rough to try and get some of the unit types integrated into the party with the options they have (the Covert options can feel pretty limited and DLC doesn't even give them another option).

I don't know that I've put it all that well, but I end up feeling like some more classes could have been nice.

I think I get you. What you're basically saying is this

https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/topic/98435-i-think-unit-types-were-too-formulaic/

Edited by Jotari

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That's not quite the conclusion I get to, I like type tied to class enough that I'd be fine keeping that as is but I get the concept. What bothers me about it as is would be that several types don't feel as well utilised as they could have been. Covert ends up feeling like you only want a Thief and Alcryst if you're using him anyways, Qi Adept of course is stuck to the dancer and a class that people would be pretty down on in Martial Master, Mystical may have Sage but High Priest feels ineffectual and Armour feels a little flat. Sure Enchanter and Mage Cannon exist, but that doesn't do anything for Covert or Mystical.

Says a lot that it's the infantry types that aren't Backup feel underused imo.

I have my complaints about the Benignon Senate, but I will say on a rather different note...  and this is an aspect of a series-wide thing (and really culture-wide deal)... is this even an unpopular opinion?  I dunno.  Have a weird thought / rant instead.

Let me switch gears for a moment.  JRR Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings is kinda odd about the setting.  In one sense, it's very much a setting where humility is prized - the world is saved by some countryside hobbits whose main power is not succumbing to ambition, and they were considered beneath notice by the great powers of the day.  But it's also a setting where lineage, status, and deference are of great import - the problems in Gondor stem from not having its rightful ruler, Aragorn, on the throne, and Aragorn and his Dundedain pals are heroic long-lived ubermensch descended from people who were even MORE ubermensch before their pride blew them up.  (Usual disclaimer here that "people used to be super-awesome and later degenerated to the normal people we see today" is actually pretty common in mythological histories, so Tolkien is being accurate to the myth here at least.)  It mostly works!  But writing it out like this does make it a little weird.  (Of course, you could argue that humble hobbits outshining genuine kings-as-they're-supposed-to-be makes the achievement even more impressive.)

I feel like Radiant Dawn is similar in mood.  It's a setting where Ike, the son of an excellent fighter but not much else, is the one that saves the world.  And this is true even despite competition from genuine superhumans of the right lineage in the Laguz Lords or noble humans like Elincia.  (Setting aside Micaiah for a moment here, as she's weird being both theoretically humble but also actually from a noble lineage, albeit as a plot twist.)  But, like LOTR, it's also a setting with a huge emphasis on putting just Better People in their Proper Place at times, which...  like LOTR, mostly works in context, but can be read kinda the wrong way, right?  So getting back to the Benignon Senate, they are evil, but the medicine the game prescribes is like saying the Roman government is corrupt, therefore we need to put the Pope in charge.  You could read it as changing from "Nobles are corrupt" to "Obeying nobles is great, the problem is that the lesser nobles weren't listening to the enlightened super-noble who outranked them in Sanaki."  And hell, this is true sometimes.  I guess Japan has fond memories of Emperor Meiji taking control.  But, a praxis of "restore the Apostle to her rightful throne" rings a little oddly with the way Ike is presented.  Yeah, yeah, we're not going to have President Tormod in setting, he wouldn't have the support, but.  (Luckily, I like Sanaki, and she importantly seems to grasp the moral implications of the struggle rather than casting it solely as one over her authority - hence begging forgiveness in that one scene.)

Edited by SnowFire

1 hour ago, SnowFire said:

I have my complaints about the Benignon Senate, but I will say on a rather different note...  and this is an aspect of a series-wide thing (and really culture-wide deal)... is this even an unpopular opinion?  I dunno.  Have a weird thought / rant instead.

Let me switch gears for a moment.  JRR Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings is kinda odd about the setting.  In one sense, it's very much a setting where humility is prized - the world is saved by some countryside hobbits whose main power is not succumbing to ambition, and they were considered beneath notice by the great powers of the day.  But it's also a setting where lineage, status, and deference are of great import - the problems in Gondor stem from not having its rightful ruler, Aragorn, on the throne, and Aragorn and his Dundedain pals are heroic long-lived ubermensch descended from people who were even MORE ubermensch before their pride blew them up.  (Usual disclaimer here that "people used to be super-awesome and later degenerated to the normal people we see today" is actually pretty common in mythological histories, so Tolkien is being accurate to the myth here at least.)  It mostly works!  But writing it out like this does make it a little weird.  (Of course, you could argue that humble hobbits outshining genuine kings-as-they're-supposed-to-be makes the achievement even more impressive.)

What's funny about that is that, despite humbleness being a virtue, 3/4 of the Hobbits in the party are pretty much nobility. Not in any fuedal sense of authority, but ina more modern sense of privileged blood lines. Frodo, Merry and Pippin all come from very rich and famous families in the Shire (even before Bilbo won his treasure he was rich). Sam is the only genuine working class character amongst the protagonists (which might also be why he's best character, don't at me).

1 hour ago, SnowFire said:

I feel like Radiant Dawn is similar in mood.  It's a setting where Ike, the son of an excellent fighter but not much else, is the one that saves the world.  And this is true even despite competition from genuine superhumans of the right lineage in the Laguz Lords or noble humans like Elincia.  (Setting aside Micaiah for a moment here, as she's weird being both theoretically humble but also actually from a noble lineage, albeit as a plot twist.)  But, like LOTR, it's also a setting with a huge emphasis on putting just Better People in their Proper Place at times, which...  like LOTR, mostly works in context, but can be read kinda the wrong way, right?  So getting back to the Benignon Senate, they are evil, but the medicine the game prescribes is like saying the Roman government is corrupt, therefore we need to put the Pope in charge.  You could read it as changing from "Nobles are corrupt" to "Obeying nobles is great, the problem is that the lesser nobles weren't listening to the enlightened super-noble who outranked them in Sanaki."  And hell, this is true sometimes.  I guess Japan has fond memories of Emperor Meiji taking control.  But, a praxis of "restore the Apostle to her rightful throne" rings a little oddly with the way Ike is presented.  Yeah, yeah, we're not going to have President Tormod in setting, he wouldn't have the support, but.  (Luckily, I like Sanaki, and she importantly seems to grasp the moral implications of the struggle rather than casting it solely as one over her authority - hence begging forgiveness in that one scene.)

I don't think the game was dwelling too much on any thematic point when it came to Senators vs Sanaki and absolute monarch vs devolved powers. They just needed a group of Begnion villains who are powerful, so a senate is an easy step. If there's any thematic analysis going on with the senate I think it's more a stab at rich people than anything else. As they aren't using their political power to legalize slavery or the like. Instead they brazenly commit crimes and just expect the law not to apply to them because of their wealth.

Also for all the praise Ike gets for being ordinary, it's not really accurate. I know the arguments been had before that Griel must logically be a noble, but even ignoring that, being the son of the most renowned warrior on the continent isn't exactly an eveyman position.

Regarding the (infantry) class types discussion... and I speak as someone who hasn't played Engage... the class types feel specialized towards that game's unique feature and I don't think they have much purpose in a game without it. However, they offer great ideas for future class skill profiles to help flesh out infantry. Covert is an easy fit on thief-type or light infantry classes, and Chain Attack could easily be a skill for most of its usual candidates. Mystical classes could have their personal spell lists if those come back. The only one I have a hard time conceptualizing in its current state is Qi Adept because of how novel it is.

As for the Begnion Senators and the Slitherers. I think there's a clear difference between the two.

The Begnion Senate operates from a position of supreme strength, the Slitherers meanwhile operate from a position of weakness that makes their smugness very undeserved. 

Begnion is the supreme superpower of Tellius. Its lands span about half the continent and minus Goldoa it seems to take about the entire continent combined to fight them off. The Senators can afford to be pathetic fops. Begnion's numbers will eventually do the job for them. 

The slitherers meanwhile are about one city's worth of people hiding out underground. No matter their tech or nukes it seems that rooting them out once you know where they're hiding isn't terribly hard. Edelgard does it when she reunites Fodlan, and Claude does it without even having all of Fodlan behind him. The writing(or at least Hubert) also conveys that the Slitherers arrogance is wildly undeserved and that they're doing themselves no favors by underestimating everyone so much. Begnion meanwhile is depicted as highly dangerous even with their leading officers mostly being a bunch of nitwits. And unlike Thales Lekain does get depicted as someone able to personally carry his team of clowns and nitwits very successfully. His underlings being idiots gets less problematic when he at least is always in charge, to the point that highly dangerous people like Naesalla are outmatched by him.

And as mentioned before the Senate seems more human. The Slitheres do evil things even if it cost them dearly because they just can't seem to resist doing it. If them indulging themselves results in losing their prized disguises they'll still do it no matter what setbacks it poses. The Senate makes bad choices for more normal reasons like it befitting them. Valtome is a complete disaster but at least installing him puts Lekain's crony in charge rather than the right hand of their political enemy. And since the interests of the Senate and Begnion clearly don't coincide they have some leeway for self sabotaging Begnions war efforts. Because they're not fighting for Begnion. They're fighting for themselves and their own class.

The issue with the Slitherers for me is that they seem to exist solely to keep certain characters from having to get their hands dirty. It almost feels like they were afraid a certain someone would have to face the consequences of their actions, if they didn't have the Slitherers to deflect blame to for the unsavory things that happen. As a "current threat" in the context of the story, they don't really work because they're as competent or as incompetent as the story needs them to be. But they would've worked as an ancient threat that did terrible things and whose influence is still felt, but don't have an actual physical presence anymore.

On the other hand, Begnion's Senate is sadly in line with some modern politicians (making them feel more realistic), and I don't think they exist to make Sanaki look better. It's basically a power struggle between old corrupt dudes who think they're above everyone else, and a ruler with morals trying to reign them in.

1 hour ago, Sunwoo said:

The issue with the Slitherers for me is that they seem to exist solely to keep certain characters from having to get their hands dirty. It almost feels like they were afraid a certain someone would have to face the consequences of their actions, if they didn't have the Slitherers to deflect blame to for the unsavory things that happen. As a "current threat" in the context of the story, they don't really work because they're as competent or as incompetent as the story needs them to be. But they would've worked as an ancient threat that did terrible things and whose influence is still felt, but don't have an actual physical presence anymore.

On the other hand, Begnion's Senate is sadly in line with some modern politicians (making them feel more realistic), and I don't think they exist to make Sanaki look better. It's basically a power struggle between old corrupt dudes who think they're above everyone else, and a ruler with morals trying to reign them in.

Agarthans need to exist because Part 1 exists too. It would be a lot more difficult to justify a playable Edelgard and an antagonist Edelgard if for the entirety of part 1 you're using Edelgard to kill loyal Edelgard soldiers for chapters on end. Part 1 needs some kind of threat to make maps out of. Of course evil mole people wasn't the only option. They could have spun out the Lonato and Miklan plot lines into bigger events for White Clouds.

On 6/20/2023 at 2:51 AM, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Gilbert somehow became one of my favourite characters in the game, students included. I can't think of anyone aside from Edelgard who is quite at that tier in Three Houses. 

23 minutes ago, Sbuscoz said:

Gilbert somehow became one of my favourite characters in the game, students included. I can't think of anyone aside from Edelgard who is quite at that tier in Three Houses. 

I wouldn't say the "somehow" is warranted there lol, Gilbert is really well written. I'd go as far as to call him one of the best written characters in Three Houses, in fact.

Seet, the thing about him is, he's not as easy to like or as husbandable as the rest, and a lot more focus is put on his flaws and inner turmoil than the average student. Not only that, he hurt Very Cute Anime (Your) Girl Annette through his mistakes, which earned him the ire of many, even though that's the whole point, the game doesn't try to excuse it even though he very much didn't do it out of malice and Annette herself just wants her dad back.

So he ended up getting a lot of bile thrown his way by people who were certain the solution to his crippling depression and survivor's guilt derived from a society obssessed with the concept of chivalry was as simple as "stop throwing a pity party and talk to your daughter."

The people proudly proclaiming how they had Annette murder him were my favorites. Yes, my favorite way to treat my favorite characters: Make them fail at their ultimate goal and ruin their lives.

...Personally, I think he needed a beard. Is that an unpopular opinion? I can't imagine it would be, I mean

Look at that, he actually looks a hundred times better. People wouldn't hate him as much if that's what he looked like. Surely.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

23 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Seet, the thing about him is, he's not as easy to like or as husbandable as the rest, and a lot more focus is put on his flaws and inner turmoil than the average student. Not only that, he hurt Very Cute Anime (Your) Girl Annette through his mistakes, which earned him the ire of many, even though that's the whole point, the game doesn't try to excuse it even though he very much didn't do it out of malice and Annette herself just wants her dad back.

I agree that that's part of it, but it also doesn't help his popularity that he's only really around in one route out of four. It's all well and good to have a character who is not very likeable at the surface level but is well written and has interesting depths and nuances, but having him be route-exclusive means that a lot of people are going to be judging him based entirely on the surface level.

12 minutes ago, lenticular said:

I agree that that's part of it, but it also doesn't help his popularity that he's only really around in one route out of four. It's all well and good to have a character who is not very likeable at the surface level but is well written and has interesting depths and nuances, but having him be route-exclusive means that a lot of people are going to be judging him based entirely on the surface level.

That's true too. Luckily, he and the other characters who didn't enjoy the limelight as much in Three Houses got their chance to shine in the spin-off, Three Hop-- oh wait, nevermind it was about the students again and half the faculty got less.

I will never forgive them

50 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I wouldn't say the "somehow" is warranted there lol, Gilbert is really well written. I'd go as far as to call him one of the best written characters in Three Houses, in fact.

True, but thinking about how a deadbeat father became one of my favourite characters is still kinda funny lmao