What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Both of them combined kill it for me.

If anything it's the arena runs that kill it for me, trying to get +7 for stuff like the chef hat or if you get unlucky on your food resources is a bother. Not even mentioning how this stuff goes into captures, which I'd probably have more comments on if I'd dome any of that recently (which would be if I could get anywhere on Conquest)

But at least you have trading of ores as an option if needed, so the resources for those are able to be done on cart still, speaking from experience. And I get it, it's tedium. I think it's been clear my tolerance is strong enough on that front.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also, when I see Fates runs on Youtube, I see a good chunk of players end up giving themselves all the resources - something I consider highly telling. It feels like one of Fates's most egregious missteps.

For forges I can't see it as all that egregious when you can spend 3 of a resource to get one +2 weapon.

But as for them, I call it like I see it.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/22/2023 at 8:49 PM, Jotari said:

Agarthans need to exist because Part 1 exists too. It would be a lot more difficult to justify a playable Edelgard and an antagonist Edelgard if for the entirety of part 1 you're using Edelgard to kill loyal Edelgard soldiers for chapters on end. Part 1 needs some kind of threat to make maps out of. Of course evil mole people wasn't the only option. They could have spun out the Lonato and Miklan plot lines into bigger events for White Clouds.

They could have had Sreng, Prince Shahid and possibly a chapter where you fight Ludwig. 

On 7/3/2023 at 5:09 AM, Punished Dayni said:

If anything it's the arena runs that kill it for me, trying to get +7 for stuff like the chef hat or if you get unlucky on your food resources is a bother. Not even mentioning how this stuff goes into captures, which I'd probably have more comments on if I'd dome any of that recently (which would be if I could get anywhere on Conquest)

But at least you have trading of ores as an option if needed, so the resources for those are able to be done on cart still, speaking from experience. And I get it, it's tedium. I think it's been clear my tolerance is strong enough on that front.

For forges I can't see it as all that egregious when you can spend 3 of a resource to get one +2 weapon.

But as for them, I call it like I see it.

I'ma be honest, Fates needs to improve its base if it ever gets a remaster. The need for online to get the best out of some of its features makes it stand out, and not in a good way. And the reliance on real time passing only makes things worse, as does the overt randomness with regard to resources. The mess hall is especially bad, as you have to grapple not only with what resources your castle has (simply put, you won't get as much mileage out of it if your castle gives berries, cabbage or the Hoshidan equivalents to those), but also who the game picks to be the chef. Got Jakob or Peri in the kitchen? That's great! Is Felicia or Arthur manning it instead? Uh oh... While the latter can be gamed with a chef's hat, it needs a level 3 accessory shop, and not only that, it needs 30 of a specific resource. AND that's not even getting into how only half the army benefits until level 3. All of this feeds into my next unpopular opinion...

-Garreg Mach Monastery was better designed than My Castle. Sure, it gets repetitive and tedious, but as stated above, the fact that Fates has many features that require heavy use of online to get any real use out of is really immersion breaking.

Now that I've said that...

-Mozu is overrated. I'm gonna be honest, there is no way I can see someone whose defenders say "just feed her her whole map, and she's good!" as a good unit. Especially when many of those also advocate for her getting the first heart seal when there are better things to do with it. That's something I can only see as absurd.

-Wyvern Elise is overrated and garbage. I'ma be blunt, this is one of the shittiest uses of a heart seal I've seen suggested. Maybe it can work after promotion, but if you do so before? lol, good luck with someone who has embarrassing offense and poor hit rates. And that's not getting into the part where you're turning your healer into a shitty combat unit, and worse, a shitty melee unit. Long story short, the only thing you accomplish with this is crippling yourself.

One unpopular opinion is that I'm kinda bothered by Micaiah's portrayal after Radiant Dawn. I think both Heroes and Engage miss the mark about her characterization. Both games define Michy by her gentle spirit. She's kind, cheerful and even somewhat motherly. She comes across as likable enough, but the problem is that she's not Micaiah

Micaiah is certainly very kind in Radiant Dawn but despite her gentle look she's actually kind of a rough character. She's distant, can be hostile and sarcastic, is stubborn and completely ruthless when backed into a corner. Rather than being cheerful all the time Michy comes across more as reserved and guarded, with some bitterness under the surface. Micaiah's kindness isn't quite the soothing motherly conduct FEH and Engage insists it is, because its often combined with stubbornness and even causes her to be ruthless later on. The motherly aspect of Michy feels out of place due to how guarded her personality is. Even the Daien soldiers who worship her as her goddess only do so from afar rather than there being scene of Michy coming to dote on them. And rather than giving motherly advice to others Micaiah gets portrayed more as a character in need of emotional support. Her collapsing in Rafiel's arms twice from the stress of it all comes to mind.

Its unfortunate that one of the more interesting lords gets her traits hidden and replaced by something more ''moe''.

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

One unpopular opinion is that I'm kinda bothered by Micaiah's portrayal after Radiant Dawn. I think both Heroes and Engage miss the mark about her characterization. Both games define Michy by her gentle spirit. She's kind, cheerful and even somewhat motherly. She comes across as likable enough, but the problem is that she's not Micaiah

Micaiah is certainly very kind in Radiant Dawn but despite her gentle look she's actually kind of a rough character. She's distant, can be hostile and sarcastic, is stubborn and completely ruthless when backed into a corner. Rather than being cheerful all the time Michy comes across more as reserved and guarded, with some bitterness under the surface. Micaiah's kindness isn't quite the soothing motherly conduct FEH and Engage insists it is, because its often combined with stubbornness and even causes her to be ruthless later on. The motherly aspect of Michy feels out of place due to how guarded her personality is. Even the Daien soldiers who worship her as her goddess only do so from afar rather than there being scene of Michy coming to dote on them. And rather than giving motherly advice to others Micaiah gets portrayed more as a character in need of emotional support. Her collapsing in Rafiel's arms twice from the stress of it all comes to mind.

Its unfortunate that one of the more interesting lords gets her traits hidden and replaced by something more ''moe''.

I don't know what you're talking about. That all sounds exactly like my mother XD I joke. You're absolutely right, Mickey has been flanderized to some extent. I suppose all the lords have (hello Alm) but she was a pretty nuanced character from the get go (at least up until Yune shoved her in a fridge) so the difference can be a lot more stark.

I suppose it's the change of environment. After RD, she hasn't really been put through the same wringer of events to merit displaying once again those parts of her personality.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I suppose it's the change of environment. After RD, she hasn't really been put through the same wringer of events to merit displaying once again those parts of her personality.

We haven't seen her after Radiant Dawn. All we've seen are facsimiles of her, ripped from her world, turned into some kind of ghost and forced to fight in conflicts she has nothing to do with. Which would probably be far more stressful than most Fore Emblem characters reaction to it.

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

We haven't seen her after Radiant Dawn. All we've seen are facsimiles of her, ripped from her world, turned into some kind of ghost and forced to fight in conflicts she has nothing to do with. Which would probably be far more stressful than most Fore Emblem characters reaction to it.

On the contrary, most fights in FEH are not to the death, usually thanks to Contract shenanigans. She doesn't even have to worry about Daein itself, unlike in RD.

In Engage we see her after she had a thousand of years to settle after the fact, so any existential dread she could've had, we never saw it.

Not to mention... no Branded prejudice, not being the one shouldering all the responsibility, no Blood Pact, no goddess with a hanging judgement over everybody she cares for, not crowding reveling masses filling her with expectations she feels she has to fulfill...

Oh sure, that's more stressful...

14 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

On the contrary, most fights in FEH are not to the death, usually thanks to Contract shenanigans. She doesn't even have to worry about Daein itself, unlike in RD.

In Engage we see her after she had a thousand of years to settle after the fact, so any existential dread she could've had, we never saw it.

Not to mention... no Branded prejudice, not being the one shouldering all the responsibility, no Blood Pact, no goddess with a hanging judgement over everybody she cares for, not crowding reveling masses filling her with expectations she feels she has to fulfill...

Oh sure, that's more stressful...

If I was whisked away to another world and put into some kind of magical slavery and forced to fight and there were alternate copies of me running around including ones that are completely identical to me that I can be merged into, I reckon I'd be pretty stressed.

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

If I was whisked away to another world and put into some kind of magical slavery and forced to fight and there were alternate copies of me running around including ones that are completely identical to me that I can be merged into, I reckon I'd be pretty stressed.

Still beats all what she had to endure in RD. If anything, Micaiah would consider it an upgrade from the Blood Pact, actually. And again, she's not the army commander this time around.

Also, Micaiah ain't you, so it's not a sure thing she'd have the same reaction to stuff like the multiple copies.

Personally, if it happened to me, I'd find it more surreal and... uh, this dabbles into more personal matters, but I'd... actually be glad... and perhaps I'd only stress out that I'd actually be enjoying it...

Let's just say I'd consider it a sabbatical, and let's leave it at that.

Also, isn't the whole merging thing just one hero passing their acquired power to the other and they go back to their world? There's no literal merging, from my understanding.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

This is probably an ice cold take but FE Fates should’ve gone all in on the Japanese-inspired setting and (for a potentially hotter take) has Azura as the protagonist.

As for other games,I would’ve also liked to see the FE1 remake on GBA as a Zero Mission-esque remake (one that tells the same story with added depth and a new set of 5 chapters after the defeat of Medeus) and Sacred Stones as a brand new Fire Emblem game on the DS.

1 hour ago, Perkilator said:

This is probably an ice cold take but FE Fates should’ve gone all in on the Japanese-inspired setting and (for a potentially hotter take) has Azura as the protagonist.

Tbh I would have liked Fates more if this were the case. My problem with Avatar characters who do have a part in the main story (Robin, Corrin, Byleth, and Alear) is that they have no personality (I know that’s kind of the point), nothing that makes me care for them or want to see their story through to the end.

If Azura was the main character we’d get someone who has a past with both families that goes deeper than what we’re told with Corrin, which would make the decision of choosing so much more interesting to watch.

Plus, you could explore the history of Mikoto and Arete’s relationship & Valla’s history through Azura if you choose Revelations. And it would give us some much needed lord class & weapon diversity. 

I’d also be intrigued by if Lilith, Corrin, and Azura were all the main characters of Fates & maybe remove the choosing plotline?

Edited by DivineDragon_Goddess

On 7/17/2023 at 1:26 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Indeed. I am in great demand for more war criminals, and Fire Emblem has not been giving me what I need.

Azura couldn't really be the protagonist without entirely rewriting her. She is meant to be the mysterious lady who holds all the secrets. Her character concept just wouldn't really work for a protagonist. Everything they were going for with her, and in a lot of ways they succeeded (at the cost of making her seem a bit lazy and irresponsible) screams supporting character.

I think Casual Mode should’ve been introduced as far back as Blazing Blade for no other reason than because it was the first game in the series to be released outside of Japan. That way, the overseas audience who only knew about the series through Melee can experience it in even greater abundance (i.e. with the potential overseas fan base potentially doubling by way of people who don’t want to see their units die for real).

Lances should have high damage, accurate 1-2 range, but incapable of doubling, to differentiate them from other weapons instead of the awkward triangular balance attempt between weak/accurate - medium all - strong/inaccurate and leave weak/accurate(dodgy( and strong/inaccurate/critical) to swords - axes.

On 7/22/2023 at 6:52 PM, DivineDragon_Goddess said:

Tbh I would have liked Fates more if this were the case. My problem with Avatar characters who do have a part in the main story (Robin, Corrin, Byleth, and Alear) is that they have no personality (I know that’s kind of the point), nothing that makes me care for them or want to see their story through to the end.

If Azura was the main character we’d get someone who has a past with both families that goes deeper than what we’re told with Corrin, which would make the decision of choosing so much more interesting to watch.

Robin definitely has a personality, and a pretty good one at that.

I'd agree with making Azura the main character though. In fact, if they made it so that Azura and Corrin are siblings, and he's not theoretically related to the other royals, the game would feel a lot less icky.

----------------------------

As for my own unpopular opinion... I just can't make myself care about 3d graphics in the series. I probably won't end up playing anything past SoV because I just enjoy looking at sprite artwork. My favorite game (ATM) is Awakening, and pretty much the first thing I do in any run is turn off battle animations, both for time and visual reasons.

When I look at Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, Three Houses etc I just think about how dated they look (PoR/RD), and how dated it will look in the future (3H). Also how incredibly long they take, but that's secondary.

I don't think it's unrelated that people "sprite-ify" characters from new games in their youtube thumbnails (particularly Alear). It just looks more timeless.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Imuabicus der Fertige said:

Boots should be a TH-style equippable item (like shields) exclusive for infantry and horseshoes for cavalry.

Fliers get uh.... jet engines? Maybe rockets?

Hm... well, maybe we don't need items that give cavalry and fliers higher movement stats. Since they're already very mobile.

What if the Horseshoes, instead, gave cavalry units infantry-type movement penalties? So, instead of costing 3 move to cross a forest tile, it would only cost 2. They could also provide immunity to damaging terrain.

Here's another idea: an equippable "hobby horse" that infantry units can use. This would alter their movement to be cavalry-like, including Canto.

On 8/7/2023 at 2:53 PM, Alastor15243 said:

So the march ring?

oh yeah, that exists; I think it´d be better if the boots removed some of the terrain penalties in addition, better marching and all

On 8/7/2023 at 4:10 PM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Hm... well, maybe we don't need items that give cavalry and fliers higher movement stats. Since they're already very mobile.

The flier thing was a joke, i generally think it´d be better if fliers had infantry movement range but ignore terrain, so the unit types feel less like a natural upgrade path. 

Edited by Imuabicus der Fertige

1 hour ago, Imuabicus der Fertige said:

oh yeah, that exists; I think it´d be better if the boots removed some of the terrain penalties in addition, better marching and all

The flier thing was a joke, i generally think it´d be better if fliers had infantry movement range but ignore terrain, so the unit types feel less like a natural upgrade path. 

OIP.jpg

That was the Engage approach.

Nergal gets a lot of flack for not just killing the Heroes, but I've always found that complaint overinflated, and a little but unfair since more damning cases mostly get a pass on this matter.  

Three times Nergal leaves without killing the party. I suppose that's not a good looking number but context is important.

-The first case there's no conscious decision of Nergal to spare the team. He just happens to get killed before being able to harm them.
-In the second case Nergal leaves because he gets what he came for. Him not harming the heroes is even an explicit deal he makes with Ninian. 
-Third and finally he spares the team out of a favor to Athos for being a former friend and out of respect towards a fellow sorcerer. Not the best reason in the word, but it is a reason.

This in contrast to Gharnef who also spares Marth on account of dubious reasons but doesn't really get criticized over it. This despite the reason being far more dubious than those of Nergal ever were. Nergal leaves because achieved his goal, and because he still respects his bond with another person. Gharnef leaves because....he's just bored. And Nergal leaving doesn't really cost him much, but Gharnef sparring Marth out of boredom comes at his own direct expense. It leads to Marth conquering Gharnef's kingdom, the kingdom of which the ownership was so important to Gharnef that not getting it drove him insane. It also eliminates Khadain from the Dolhr war machine, and leaves alive the one person that can slay Medeus.  

And other villains aren't much different. They don't go up in the heroes face and gloat about it like Nergal but the trend of overwhelmingly powerful(or just relatively powerful) villains being able to crush the heroes at any time, but just leave is present in most games. Julius for instant can teleport and is functionally immortal but even when coming on the battlefield he doesn't crush the liberation army in its infancy. Narshen repeatedly flees from Roy and has a much weaker subordinate take over, and only one time is his retreat forced by Roy getting outside help. Valter is obsessed with kidnapping Eirika but when its just her and Seth he leaves because he wants to enjoy ''the hunt''. The Black Knight refuses to kill Ike because he's desperate for a sparring match, and on and on it goes. 

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Nergal gets a lot of flack for not just killing the Heroes, but I've always found that complaint overinflated, and a little but unfair since more damning cases mostly get a pass on this matter.  

Three times Nergal leaves without killing the party. I suppose that's not a good looking number but context is important.

-The first case there's no conscious decision of Nergal to spare the team. He just happens to get killed before being able to harm them.
-In the second case Nergal leaves because he gets what he came for. Him not harming the heroes is even an explicit deal he makes with Ninian. 
-Third and finally he spares the team out of a favor to Athos for being a former friend and out of respect towards a fellow sorcerer. Not the best reason in the word, but it is a reason.

This in contrast to Gharnef who also spares Marth on account of dubious reasons but doesn't really get criticized over it. This despite the reason being far more dubious than those of Nergal ever were. Nergal leaves because achieved his goal, and because he still respects his bond with another person. Gharnef leaves because....he's just bored. And Nergal leaving doesn't really cost him much, but Gharnef sparring Marth out of boredom comes at his own direct expense. It leads to Marth conquering Gharnef's kingdom, the kingdom of which the ownership was so important to Gharnef that not getting it drove him insane. It also eliminates Khadain from the Dolhr war machine, and leaves alive the one person that can slay Medeus.  

And other villains aren't much different. They don't go up in the heroes face and gloat about it like Nergal but the trend of overwhelmingly powerful(or just relatively powerful) villains being able to crush the heroes at any time, but just leave is present in most games. Julius for instant can teleport and is functionally immortal but even when coming on the battlefield he doesn't crush the liberation army in its infancy. Narshen repeatedly flees from Roy and has a much weaker subordinate take over, and only one time is his retreat forced by Roy getting outside help. Valter is obsessed with kidnapping Eirika but when its just her and Seth he leaves because he wants to enjoy ''the hunt''. The Black Knight refuses to kill Ike because he's desperate for a sparring match, and on and on it goes. 

I think there are mitigating factors in a lot of those cases. Well, except Gharnef you're on the mark there. The only defense I'll give is that one is a smaller number than three and also that his leaving has a gameplay purpose which makes it easier to swallow.

Julius doesn't get flak because it plays very much I to his character. He is a child. He is explicitly doing stupid things on a whim because he's immature. While Nergal is meant to be a rather intelligent fellow. Similarly, Narcisn doesn't flee from Marth because he's afraid, he delegates responsibility to underlings because he's lazy and full of himself. Which is precisely what people like about him. Your example from Valter is from the prologue, and if he had done it several more times he'd probably have a similar reputation (doubly so if he was also the main villain like Nergal is), but instead he's remembered because he kills Glenn. And finally the Black Knight actively wants Ike to live and get stronger, it's not smart, but it is motivated. And for that plot point we're too busy giving Ike the criticism for having Ragnell since chapter 8 and wouldn't let us use it 😠

On the subject of the Black Knight, isn't some aspects of the whole "I want you to get stronger so I can fight as if it was against my teacher" added to localization? So in the original he doesn't actually have that motivation. Or not a whole lot of it, at least.