Fate/Grand Order General

Caster

4 hours ago, Phillius the Crestfallen said:

Widest reach? Yes, potentially. Widest audience? I wouldn't say so. Prior to FE Heroes, Gacha games were (and arguably still are) very, very niche in the West. Not to mention that for English-speaking audiences, the Nasuverse isn't very well known.

At best the Nasuverse is kind of middle grounds in terms of recognizability to english speaking audiences.

If only Nasu and co. decided to have one of their manga adaptations in a Jump magazine or something. 

There's another gacha game from an even more niche series (danmachi) that seems to be getting exposure and better NA development due to being licensed by Crunchyroll's game devs. Wonder why Aniplex didn't just pawn it off to Crunchyroll since the Danmachi gacha keeps getting a crapton of content in the few months it's been released. (The gameplay is even more repetitive than FGO).

Got Kojirou to level 60. Working on getting his attack max fou'd and working on getting MHX to max level soon enough.

Nightingale/Tamacat got me SQ. Working on Emiya/Medea Lily/irisveil now. d'Eon is surprisingly close to getting another bond level though lol. 

Edited by Czarpy

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Czarpy said:

There's another gacha game from an even more niche series (danmachi) that seems to be getting exposure and better NA development due to being licensed by Crunchyroll's game devs. Wonder why Aniplex didn't just pawn it off to Crunchyroll since the Danmachi gacha keeps getting a crapton of content in the few months it's been released. (The gameplay is even more repetitive than FGO).

Like I said, my best guess is that the decision to outsource for the other Asian countries was one made by necessity rather than choice. Why pay + give a cut of the profit to Crunchyroll to translate and develop the game when you could just have the lads at Aniplex translate it and rake in all that sweet, sweet whale money for themselves with minimal effort?

5 hours ago, Phillius the Crestfallen said:

Like I said, my best guess is that the decision to outsource for the other Asian countries was one made by necessity rather than choice. Why pay + give a cut of the profit to Crunchyroll to translate and develop the game when you could just have the lads at Aniplex translate it and rake in all that sweet, sweet whale money for themselves with minimal effort?

I can't seem to find info on whomever was the official english dub studio for the Prillya series, but didn't Netflix do the english dub for apocrypha?

Eh, Netflix isnt the type to attempt something like this. 

The sweet sweet whale money really seemed to come in just for the Jalter and Iskandar banners. God knows what's going to happen around Da Vinci's banner and the summer gacha.

5 hours ago, Czarpy said:

I can't seem to find info on whomever was the official english dub studio for the Prillya series, but didn't Netflix do the english dub for apocrypha?

Eh, Netflix isnt the type to attempt something like this.

Sony had no involvement in Prillya or Apocrypha as far as I know (compared with UBW and FGO).  They didn't share the profits on those, as Sony never had a stake in either property in the first place.

3 hours ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

Sony had no involvement in Prillya or Apocrypha as far as I know (compared with UBW and FGO).  They didn't share the profits on those, as Sony never had a stake in either property in the first place.

welp that sucks.

I notice Jalter and mashu have shown up in more "otaku-culture" things in the west nowadays. And by "notice", I mean that both are used in waifu compilations and amvs and future funk compilation vids on YT more often.

So, I got around to finishing Fate/Apocrypha.

In short, it was an enjoyable experience provided one can bleach out almost everything involving Sieg. All the other characters were interesting and I would have loved to learn more about them, both masters and servants alike. Almost everything here can be improved in some fashion, like the animation and the story, but I found it fun enough to watch until the end despite its faults.

Anyways, here are some of my notes and impressions of the anime. Spoilers are present, so read at own risk!

Spoiler

- The first 12 episodes aren't that bad. While I definitely seen better animated sequences, what does exist is passable and I'm enjoying what I am seeing. I especially love moments with the Necromancer and Mordred, as well as seeing some insight on the Yggdmillennia family. Shakespeare being Shakespeare is also fun.
- However, I must admit the low points of the show is whenever Sieg is around. I can see why so many dislike his character (starts off as a simple homunculus and then starts pulling off crazy feats). If there is one thing I can give him, it is his story arc with the other homunculi. The other stuff he pulls off is a bit BS.
-- Also, his relationship with Jeanne seems out of left field. Why does she start liking him? It may be the human vessel Jeanne is in, but I have a feeling it is Jeanne itself (the Heroic Spririt)

- Spartacus seems like a waste of a character. Also, the fact that there are two "big monster" fights is also a bit lame (the first is Spartacus in his transformed form and the second is with the Black Caster's Giant Golem).
- After watching a bit of the show, I can see why some like Mordred, Fran, Astolfo, Jack, and the other servants. It definitely raised my desire to add them to my Chaldea, but they are still lower priority compared to some of my current projects.

* * * * * Notes Part 2 * * * * *

- What the heck happens in episode 22? Suddenly the male heir to the Black Faction is on the ground? Last I saw him he was on the plane, so how the heck did he get there?
- Also, what is up with the animation quality? I don't know if it is just me, but it seemed the budget ran out starting with episode 20 or so. Alternatively, maybe me taking a break on episode 19 may have influenced my perception.
-- Nope, the animation definitely has gotten worse. The heck is up with that Sieg vs Karna fight?

- I was hoping that it was the human side (the vessel) of Jeanne who liked Sieg while Jeanne herself remained impartial, but the more I see it, the more it is likely Jeanne (or both).
- Mandatory mention that Sieg is boring as all heck. Luckily there is enough present in Fate/Apocrypha to keep me interested, but as soon he gets screentime I tend to stop caring...
-- Seriously, Command Spells are like "I Win" buttons. This gets dull rather quickly...

- Episode 23, I thought the Necromancer had a mission when he and Mordred separated? I never got to see what he was up to while Mordred continued flying the plane. I would have liked to see what he did since I liked him...

- Episode 24 is a bit eh, but episode 25 is nice with the ending, especially with Assassin of Red and her Master. The rest of 25 is also all right (save for the fact it confirms the Sieg and Jeanne, the mortal girl only respects the homunculus).
= = = = = = = = = =

In all seriousness, I did enjoy Fate/Apocrypha overall. Lots of stuff could have been expanded and improved, but Sieg (and by extension, Jeanne) does bring down the series in my eyes. If one can overlook his character and the animations (we are likely spoiled by ufotable with Fate UBW and Zero), then give Fate/Apocrypha a try!

29 minutes ago, Sire said:

So, I got around to finishing Fate/Apocrypha.

In short, it was an enjoyable experience provided one can bleach out almost everything involving Sieg.

<Snip>

It's worth mentioning that the Apocrypha event in JP FGO does Sieg a world of good. Not to the degree that it redeems his role in Apocrypha itself, but there's definitely reason to like him now.

Hm, not liking our odds at breaking Ibaraki. We might barely make it but we lost a lot of steam and we have roughly a day left.

Edited by The Priest

12 minutes ago, The Priest said:

Hm, not liking our odds at breaking Ibaraki. We might barely make it but we lost a lot of steam and we have roughly a day left.

Nah we’ll do it. If all else fails her remaining health will just magically disappear via developer BS

3 hours ago, The Priest said:

I'm working on it.  If I use every last rice ball, I'll hit my damage goal.  I still have a lot left.

7 hours ago, The Priest said:

I have 8 and can only reliably clear the 2bp one.

Sanity? What's that?

Stashing rider cards for kintoki. I'll probably have about 100 by the time onigashima launches. Add on the 100 gold embers and silver embers from Journey to the West and whatever amount comes from the Onigashima event- I should have enough to nearly max him out. Thankfully I have a ton of rider gems so I'm totally prepped. All I need to do is save seeds from the upcoming event and I should be able to get Rider Kintoki to 10/10/10.

bye bye QP

I just hit 220M and still have 9 golden rice balls left. I'm doing like 5M dmg per raid so if I were to bother I would end at...265M (290M if I were to use the last day BP efficiently, which I wouldn't anyways). I don't think the Root and Claw are worth it so I'll just go back to 2BP to farm some QP and keep what little is left of my sanity because save scumming gets very annoying after a while.

I've been looking at the FGO welfares and I've gotta ask...

Why is every welfare rider incredibly good?

Like it detracts from me wanting to specifically roll for any rider (Drake, Marie, and Martha spook everyone.) since Santa Alter, Kintoki, and Ishtar are stupidly good. Like at this point, I'd only roll for Ozy/Quetz/Summer Salter for gameplay or any of the others for waifu reasons/farming.

8 minutes ago, Czarpy said:

I've been looking at the FGO welfares and I've gotta ask...

Why is every welfare rider incredibly good?

Like it detracts from me wanting to specifically roll for any rider (Drake, Marie, and Martha spook everyone.) since Santa Alter, Kintoki, and Ishtar are stupidly good. Like at this point, I'd only roll for Ozy/Quetz/Summer Salter for gameplay or any of the others for waifu reasons/farming.

I want to pull for Quetzalcoatl when she comes out. I want my Aztec amazon rider for reasons.

@Czarpy Ozzy is stupidly good. As is Summer!Salter for your ST Rider needs. Quetz is more support orientated but she gets the job done rather nicely.
Ivan is fucking OP, to the point of hilarity and Achilles is really fucking strong,

The wellfare Rider AoES are not beating out the 5* Rider AoEs anytime soon (barring Ishkandr for long fights, and we don't bring him for those.) 

Rider!Kintoki on the other hand, is a broken motherfucker and I don't know what was going on in DW's head when they were designing his kit but oh man he's so much fun to use

Edited by N30

6 minutes ago, N30 said:

@Czarpy Ozzy is stupidly good. As is Summer!Salter for your ST Rider needs. Quetz is more support orientated but she gets the job done rather nicely.
Ivan is fucking OP, to the point of hilarity and Achilles is really fucking strong,

The wellfare Rider AoES are not beating out the 5* Rider AoEs anytime soon (barring Ishkandr for long fights, and we don't bring him for those.) 

Rider!Kintoki on the other hand, is a broken motherfucker and I don't know what was going on in DW's head when they were designing his kit but oh man he's so much fun to use

Wasn't Ivan so broken that people thought the datamine was a prank?

2 minutes ago, Czarpy said:

Wasn't Ivan so broken that people thought the datamine was a prank?

No, we didn't think the datamine was a prank - we thought his skills were ENEMY ONLY variants of his actual skill set.
And then we were wrong

Edited by N30

26 minutes ago, N30 said:

No, we didn't think the datamine was a prank - we thought his skills were ENEMY ONLY variants of his actual skill set.
And then we were wrong

Ivan the terrible isn't historically accurate or a genderbend.

I do not approve.

who the fuck thought giving people a 3* avenger was a good idea? 

1 minute ago, Czarpy said:

who the fuck thought giving people a 3* avenger was a good idea? 

Elaborate on why you think it's a bad idea

2 minutes ago, N30 said:

Elaborate on why you think it's a bad idea

I'm not so sure as to how many berserker mobs are in that lostbelt, but an AoE avenger with an arts party buff seems a little too ridiculous. He's essentially looking like what Dantes should have been in terms of gameplay. 

Idk, I just have conflicting thoughts on Extra Class servants as 3* or lower. It just seems to be indicative of a powercreep. (Not that I know anything about how difficult JP is right now. I've been hearing that people really want a 3* Ruler Jason). 

On second thought, I'll retract saying that I see it as a "bad idea" and more along the lines of being questionable in regards to game balance (on paper).

@Czarpy I wouldn't say it's a bad idea balance wise.
The thing about Salieri (besides the squish due to Avengers being squish in general) is that you don't have to use up his second skill's buff (his arts buff is self only btw), and that skill 3 should've just been a 1 turn def debuff tbh. Nothing really changes with that thing being "only for 3 hits" xP

Berserkers, Lancers, and Assassins are the most common classes for the mobs in LB1. Take it as you will

Also, if they do throw in 3* Avengers and whatnot they can then actually design a ruler boss around the fact that people actually have Avengers and Berserkers - which in theory means a little more freedom but at that point you might as well just stick the boss into another class.

7 minutes ago, N30 said:

The thing about Salieri (besides the squish due to Avengers being squish in general) is that you don't have to use up his second skill's buff (his arts buff is self only btw), and that skill 3 should've just been a 1 turn def debuff tbh. Nothing really changes with that thing being "only for 3 hits" xP

Berserkers, Lancers, and Assassins are the most common classes for the mobs in LB1. Take it as you will

Also, if they do throw in 3* Avengers and whatnot they can then actually design a ruler boss around the fact that people actually have Avengers and Berserkers - which in theory means a little more freedom but at that point you might as well just stick the boss into another class.

3* Alter Egos and Rulers would be disturbingly op on paper.

1 hour ago, N30 said:

@Czarpy Ozzy is stupidly good. As is Summer!Salter for your ST Rider needs. Quetz is more support oriented but she gets the job done rather nicely.

Calling a unit with a high-DPS kit and the highest Atk among all other units in her class a “support” is very misleading. Ozy is much more of a support unit than she is.

Too bad she is story-locked.

I haven’t used Achilles with his full kit yet, but I have high hopes for an AOE with taunt and star utility. I’m still missing horns for his last ascension. If I started playing earlier when they were handing those out like candy...

@Czarpy I see nothing wrong with making extra class units more available to free players. Without Salieri, it is very unlikely the average player will have an Avenger at all outside of dumb gacha luck, since most of them are story-locked or limited.

I recall there being some complaints about completing Abigail’s boss fight in Epic of Remnant: Salem with low-rarity units. It is nearly impossible to do without a strong Alter Ego, be it Melt, Lip, or Kiara from support or Mecha Liz from the Halloween event. Berserkers are a huge part of bronze and silver strategies. Having a class that completely shuts them down makes fights with them significantly harder.

There was a video of an all-bronze run of that fight. It was very impressive, but the player had to use three command spells about halfway through the fight as the boss was nuking his units every few turns and he had no weaknesses or resistances to exploit.

In short, low-rarity extra classes are a good move. The reduced stats are a very fair trade off as it isn’t the same as handing out welfare versions of those classes.

Also you should really sit down and read the wiki at some point

2 hours ago, N30 said:

My headcanon is after having SR Rider as a pretty weak pool one man at dw gave up in life and send out a decree "well just release Okita as an NP5 SR. For free. Whose skillset is just objectively better. So we dont need to bother with this shitshow of a class" and thats why Rider is one of the lowest number class in the game

1 hour ago, N30 said:

People exagerate how "Bad" Salieris skillset is in general Imo same with Neo Mash. But i have to agree 3 charge of def debuff is the silliest thing ever. I guess you can pop it in AOE  situation and then ignore the rest but 90% of the time its pretty much identical to lasting 1 turn

46 minutes ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

People exagerate how "Bad" Salieris skillset is in general Imo same with Neo Mash. But i have to agree 3 charge of def debuff is the silliest thing ever. I guess you can pop it in AOE  situation and then ignore the rest but 90% of the time its pretty much identical to lasting 1 turn

I suppose the problem with Neo Mash is that she looks pretty bad when compared to the 'normal' 4* Mash. Still basically a top-tier 4*, but not a patch on what we're used to (which is very likely intentional).

Edited by Phillius the Crestfallen