Grand Hero Battle: Berkut!

Vaximillian

Hmmm... depending on how hard the red cavalry mage hits, the defence tile right above the leftmost deployment slot looks like a good spot for Xander. It almost definitely won't work with Infernal's stats, but with any luck he'll be able to tank all three attacks on Lunatic and counter-kill at least one or two of them with QR. It'll be the first thing I try tomorrow.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, Berkut himself doesn't interest me much but I could have some Berkut's Lance fodder so I'll probably get 2. I hope they don't take too long on adding Clive. That's the one I want to train. 

Hope this is the end of Echoes content for a while, not that I'm disappointed! Berkut's one of my fave villians of the series. It's just the other titles need a time to shine, too.

Also...that bottom left corner of units? Lilina will stomp them silly. I'll leave Berkut to either Cecilia or Nino, haven't decided which one will get the honor of smiting him.

If the previous GHBs are anything to go by, the enemies will not pursue you until you aggro them, so you should be able to regroup by avoiding the enemy ranges.

I'm considering giving Michalis back his Iote's shield and dropping him on the middle fort and hope that the bow cavalier doesn't drop him out of QR range. If it doesn't, QR+Ignis should be enough to ORKO Berkut. (Inb4 horse archer has poison strike)

Edited by Korath88

It's possible that they'll break from the typical GHB AI pattern because of the map design, although that could be a bit much to manage.

Surprised it took this long for him to show up, but I'm glad we finally have a day announced. Hoping he'll have Water Boost 3 at 4*, but him having Ward Cavalry could make that unlikely since almost all characters who get a movement buff skill and are available at 4* get that skill at 4*. I think Reinhardt is the only exception so far. (Compared to Sheena/Draug/Gwendolyn/Caeda/Palla/Gunter/Jagen/Eliwood/Camus iirc, for a total of 9. But also no more than one per skill, and Ward Cavalry already has Eliwood.)

6 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

…and Olwen.

Olwen is 5* only. I'm referring specifically to characters that get the skills at 4*.

3 hours ago, silverserpent said:

Hope this is the end of Echoes content for a while, not that I'm disappointed! Berkut's one of my fave villians of the series. It's just the other titles need a time to shine, too.

This. I'm tired of the same game being milked to hell the last couple months. We did get a bit of other games in between (one PoR banner and one New Mystery banner), not counting the seasonal heroes because we knew those were coming no matter what, but it's still been like 90% freaking Echoes lately. Can we have some more Magvel and Tellius next please?

I might grab Berkut for Ward Cavalry though. My Freddy could use it for when I'm using him with Reinhardt. Freddy + Reiny = win a LOT.

Edited by Anacybele

I might try dragon emblem for this map. I don't usually plan out strategies ahead of time, but at a glance it'll be trickier than average.

36 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

This. I'm tired of the same game being milked to hell the last couple months. We did get a bit of other games in between (one PoR banner and one New Mystery banner), not counting the seasonal heroes because we knew those were coming no matter what, but it's still been like 90% freaking Echoes lately. Can we have some more Magvel and Tellius next please?

I might grab Berkut for Ward Cavalry though. My Freddy could use it for when I'm using him with Reinhardt. Freddy + Reiny = win a LOT.

Hopefully, if they continue this trend then Magvel and Tellius will have their time to shine as well. Banners, GHB's and even a Tempest. This time can just be used to save orbs and train units for that time. Besides, I've been taken for all of my orbs and need time to save.

And does Reinhardt find himself getting hit often enough for ward to help? Most would figure to give Frederick Hone Cavalry to let Rein win more and to give Rein Ward/Fortify Cavalry so that Fred can take more hits. Apologies if that last sentence is a jumble. 

5 minutes ago, Apples said:

I might try dragon emblem for this map. I don't usually plan out strategies ahead of time, but at a glance it'll be trickier than average.

Hopefully, if they continue this trend then Magvel and Tellius will have their time to shine as well. Banners, GHB's and even a Tempest. This time can just be used to save orbs and train units for that time. Besides, I've been taken for all of my orbs and need time to save.

And does Reinhardt find himself getting hit often enough for ward to help? Most would figure to give Frederick Hone Cavalry to let Rein win more and to give Rein Ward/Fortify Cavalry so that Fred can take more hits. Apologies if that last sentence is a jumble. 

I don't think either would get as much attention as Echoes has lately, but yes, I do hope they soon get plenty more than what they've gotten so far.

My Frederick already takes near 0 damage from everything physical because of +Def and Armored Blow. lol My Reinhardt is also +Def. So yeah, I'm fine letting him take hits from physical stuff too.

No worries, I got what you're saying. :P I haven't pulled anyone that gets Hone Cavalry though. Didn't even know that one existed.

Edited by Anacybele

9 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

I'm surprised it's going with the first encounter in the game instead of the gigantic fire restore hp map.

The gigantic fire restore hp map has already been used for the tempest. They haven’t so blatantly reused maps before (except the modes that literally consist of repeating the maps, like the tempest).

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I don't think either would get as much attention as Echoes has lately, but yes, I do hope they soon get plenty more than what they've gotten so far.

My Frederick already takes near 0 damage from everything because of +Def and Armored Blow. lol My Reinhardt is also +Def. So yeah, I'm fine letting him take hits from physical stuff too.

No worries, I got what you're saying. :P I haven't pulled anyone that gets Hone Cavalry though. Didn't even know that one existed.

That's fine then. Frederick also benefits from the extra speed and attack.
And if you ever get Gunter at 4* then I'd consider it on Fred as an option to switch between. He's just a better Gunter anyway. 

That being said, I'm dreading all the buffs that will most assuredly show up on Berkut's map. And making me want to pursue a horse team. 

20 minutes ago, Apples said:

That's fine then. Frederick also benefits from the extra speed and attack.
And if you ever get Gunter at 4* then I'd consider it on Fred as an option to switch between. He's just a better Gunter anyway. 

That being said, I'm dreading all the buffs that will most assuredly show up on Berkut's map. And making me want to pursue a horse team. 

Yeah, even at  -Spd which my Frederick is, extra speed helps him because it'll make him get doubled less. :P And any extra attack on Frederick is awesome. People seem to overlook him because they just take one look at his res and/or speed and go "no thank you" or something like that. You know what he gives up some speed and res for? The highest base attack and def of any cavalry in the game. I don't think anyone's taking that record from him anytime soon either (I can only see Sain and Kieran surpassing him here, and that's only in attack. Sain had a very high str growth in FE7, as did Kieran in PoR). Frederick may easily be taken out by a mage, but everyone's gotta have a weakness. Frederick's niche is tanking physical units and hitting back really hard. Maximize that with def boosting skills and stuff like breakers and Brave Axe and he's a freakin' monster butler knight.

I had the same thoughts about Camus's map when I saw it'd be all horses, honestly. I thought I'd get my ass kicked hard before I'd find a way to win it. But I did lunatic in one try! You never really know, man.

Edited by Anacybele

56 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

The gigantic fire restore hp map has already been used for the tempest. They haven’t so blatantly reused maps before (except the modes that literally consist of repeating the maps, like the tempest).

There is one kinda exception to that as both Ursula's GHB map and Paralogue 3-3 both seem to based of off Battle before Dawn. Granted the maps are different from each other but they share the same source of inspiration, so there's that.

19 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, even at  -Spd which my Frederick is, extra speed helps him because it'll make him get doubled less. :P And any extra attack on Frederick is awesome. People seem to overlook him because they just take one look at his res and/or speed and go "no thank you" or something like that. You know what he gives up some speed and res for? The highest base attack and def of any cavalry in the game. I don't think anyone's taking that record from him anytime soon either (I can only see Sain and Kieran surpassing him here, and that's only in attack. Sain had a very high str growth in FE7, as did Kieran in PoR). Frederick may easily be taken out by a mage, but everyone's gotta have a weakness. Frederick's niche is tanking physical units and hitting back really hard. Maximize that with def boosting skills and stuff like breakers and Brave Axe and he's freakin' monster butler knight.

I had the same thoughts about Camus's map when I saw it'd be all horses, honestly. I thought I'd get my ass kicked hard before I'd find a way to win it. But I did lunatic in one try! You never really know, man.

Given my record so far, I'm sure I'll beat it on all difficulties. The only question is how long and how much stamina it'll take.
I'll wait until it goes live before deciding how difficult it is, however. 

Too bad Berkut's default skills are kinda dissapointing. I really want to use him just for his great art and amazing voice. His speed is also an issue and doesn't have the same saving utility that Ephraim does. 

5 minutes ago, Apples said:

Given my record so far, I'm sure I'll beat it on all difficulties. The only question is how long and how much stamina it'll take.
I'll wait until it goes live before deciding how difficult it is, however. 

Too bad Berkut's default skills are kinda dissapointing. I really want to use him just for his great art and amazing voice. His speed is also an issue and doesn't have the same saving utility that Ephraim does. 

Yeah, his skills do seem kind of disappointing. Like what the heck even is Water Boost? xP That's why I feel this guy is better off as Ward Cavalry fodder.

25 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, his skills do seem kind of disappointing. Like what the heck even is Water Boost? xP That's why I feel this guy is better off as Ward Cavalry fodder.

Water Boost is for Resistance what Earth Boost is for Defense. In other words, if Berkut's HP is 3 points or more higher than his opponent's HP, he will get +2/4/6 Resistance depending on Water Boost's level.

Edited by Tybrosion

20 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

If Water Boost is fully unlocked at 4* then it might see use as a discount distant defense on someone else. But it's definitely not something that I see most people trying to use. 

My Gwendolyn would be happy to have Water Boost, since with her high HP and being +Res, it'd make her as resilient to magic attacks as to physical ones. She's based on a Gamepress build that suggests Warding Blow, but that doesn't sound worthwhile at all, and I don't have Warding Blow fodder available anyway. And I certainly don't have Distant Def.

Edited by Othin

27 minutes ago, Zanyuuken said:

Berkut's kit seems much, much better on heroes like Jagen (yes, Jagen) and Peri. They actually have high resistance, so their role of "magic tanks" reaches a whole new level.

Water Boost wouldn't be useful on them because both of them have low HP (Jagen has 37, Peri has 35). You'd probably want to run Distant Counter and Berkut's Lance to actually counterattack, though, but Jagen's 39 Res with Berkut's Lance is still lackluster when compared to how much Atk mages tend to actually have, meaning Sapphire Lance is still going to be more effective.

Then there's the fact that red mages are the least common color of mage you actually encounter in the Arena.

36 minutes ago, Zanyuuken said:

Berkut's kit seems much, much better on heroes like Jagen (yes, Jagen) and Peri. They actually have high resistance, so their role of "magic tanks" reaches a whole new level.

There are better options for Water Boost users (and even then, the best users of Water Boost may have better options).

There's Wrys, who gets 42 neutral HP on top of 36 neutral Res, which makes him good at baiting mages.

There's Florina, who gets 42 neutral HP and 34 neutral Res. Unfortunately, she's outclassed as a lancer flier.

There's Sheena, who gets 45 neutral HP and 33 neutral Res. However, she prefers Distant Counter.

Fae gets 46 neutral HP and 30 neutral Res.

Hawkeye gets 45 neutral HP and 30 neutral Res.