6-Star Units

BrokenGrace

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

Maybe we should create a new tier above whales for spenders who never complain about cost. I am not sure what is bigger than whales in the ocean though.

Nothing in the entirety of the ocean is bigger than a whale, but we could draw a distinction between regular whales and "blue whales"- which the biggest species of them all.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

Maybe we should create a new tier above whales for spenders who never complain about cost. I am not sure what is bigger than whales in the ocean though.

Aircraft carrier.

5 minutes ago, DraceEmpressa said:

IIRC I did saw someone mention gacha games that do implement 6* after release goes bankrupt soon after it does... 

Because everyone leaves and they're not willing to spend their money I guess? 

I've never played a gacha game where 6 stars wasn't already a thing and it came later so I wouldn't know myself. That makes sense though!

11 minutes ago, DraceEmpressa said:

IIRC I did saw someone mention gacha games that do implement 6* after release goes bankrupt soon after it does... 

Now throw unit trading into the mix.

I can recall at least one mobage that did this a few years ago. Surprise surprise, D.O.T is dead now.

Just now, MrSmokestack said:

Now throw unit trading into the mix.

I can recall at least one mobage that did this a few years ago. Surprise surprise, D.O.T is dead now.

Unit trading is more, because people can trade,what need there is to pay more when you cna trade your unfave for your fave? Not to mention you can do this by making own multiple account, trade wit your own account and then, ta-dah! you got all of your faves. 

The question is why would a company would make a decision that would make them bankrupt?

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Nothing in the entirety of the ocean is bigger than a whale, but we could draw a distinction between regular whales and "blue whales"- which the biggest species of them all.

You are right. Did a quick Google search and whales are the biggest animals ever; not even dinosaurs can top them.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Aircraft carrier.

That made me laugh.

@Ice Dragon do you consider yourself a blue whale/aircraft carrier? If so, would you rather be called a blue whale or an aircraft carrier?

27 minutes ago, DraceEmpressa said:

Well hopefully if 6* units are implemented they are implemented well.

I'd hate for this game to die off From just adding a rarity level.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I am a Mega Wishiwashi.

Hmm I suppose my level of whaling would probably place me at Baby Blooper then.

I do it enough to be a sea creatures, but not enough to really separate me from F2P players.

44 minutes ago, XRay said:

I thought the definition of a whale is that nothing is too expensive for them to afford.

Not necessarily. A lot of whales are people who end up spending more than they can afford. It's easy to lose track of your money spent when you're just sliding a credit card.

1 minute ago, BrokenGrace said:

Well hopefully if 6* units are implemented they are implemented well.

I'd hate for this game to die off From just adding a rarity level.

No matter how well it would be implemented, even the richest whale with 25 5* +10 units will riot because it would render their whaling for 5*s obsolete. even whales would be angry, let alone f2p players. It would be a bad idea in general. 

I feel like it'd only be a good idea for Alfonse, Sharena, and Anna.

I jokingly suggested it in the past, but it makes more sense to only add it for the three "main" characters of the game, who otherwise have no way to increase stats beyond A slot skills, where the rest of the game's only limit is how much you are willing to pull.

13 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I am a Mega Wishiwashi.

Ah. I thought you were a Wailord.

6 minutes ago, Jave said:

Not necessarily. A lot of whales are people who end up spending more than they can afford. It's easy to lose track of your money spent when you're just sliding a credit card.

That sounds more like a drowning polar bear than a true whale though.

11 minutes ago, Jave said:

And when that happens, the loan sharks come out and devour these weak willed creatures in the deep blue sea.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And when that happens, the loan sharks come out and devour these weak willed creatures in the deep blue sea.

Pretty much.

Well, either that, or the whale attempts to escape until it eventually gets beached.

6* units would only be fine imo if they can be competed against with 5* units.  The slope for *ing your units up is not linear, it gets progressively harder each time implying that 6*ing will be harder at a rate much larger than the difficult between 4* and 5* which is x10.  

I don't think we'll be seeing 6* units anytime soon and they won't have anything to do with Sacred Coins, they will probably have a cost of 100,000 or more likely 200,000 feathers. Coins don't make any sense because they require the player to be competitive in arena.  It's a rich get richer scenario where only the best players will be progressing at a noticeable rate and newbies will never catch up.

I do think one day they will exist.  Eventually we will all have so many 5* units, introducing 6*s will give us something to do.  But given how much 6* units must cost in terms of feathers (I think my estimate above might be an underestimate), I don't think we'll be seeing 6* units for a long time - not until having 100,000 feathers laying around happens.

I kind of prefer Summoner's war *ing system.  In that game, a 1* unit of any kind is sacrificed to a max level 1* unit to yield a 2*.  Two 2*s are sacrificed to form a 3*, 3 3*s for 4*, 4 4*s for 5*, 5 5*s for 6*.  I would have liked to see this system implemented into the game (it's too late now).  IMO, it evolves with the game, unlike feathers.  When you play Summoners War for a year you have so many units getting a 6* seems fairly reasonable but when you are just starting out getting a 6* sounds impossible because it requires 5 5*s to be sacrificed which to you are really good units.   On the other hand, feathers, are a terrible system imo.  It does not 'progress with the game'.  You will never say "Oh, I have too many feathers" because you will always need them unless your saving for a GHB or something.  And if you save for a 6* you will likely be waiting several months and not be able to do any other promoting. 

Edited by Lushen

Bf tier upgrade works too where they upgraded their starter hero first and go from there. The way they did it after that is to upgrade a batch of old units while releasing new stuff as they go along

It took like 4 months before the starter hero was worthless but by like 3 months they released another upgrade for an old unit who stays as the best unit for so long, the playerbase actually complained about it

Edited by JSND

Won't happen. We get lateral upgrades (new skills/characters, and reasons to employ both) as opposed to vertical upgrades like raw stat boosts.

I don't know a lot about gachas (I've only played this and F/GO) but I wonder if 6* is the right way to power creep in the game, as it is the ultimate unit one can have is 5*+10 which requires you to be a whale or save for years to promote an easy to obtain 3* units to 5* 11 times and merge them later. The only thing 6* would do is waste all the job whales have done to get their ultimate units due to how promotion works in this game, and I'm sure that would generate too much backlash (maybe enough to end the game).

If anything I'd prefer having the ability to forge/upgrade weapons, the Slaying weapons are an obvious power creep compared to their Killer counterparts, this already generated a negative reaction but if we were able to use Sacred Coins to upgrade weapons then it would be better to keep every unit relatively competitive while giving new units stronger weapons to work with instead of just increasing 4-6 stat points per unit, this way IS can keep releasing new and stronger weapons while giving older units a chance to play on par with the newer ones.

20 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

the Slaying weapons are an obvious power creep compared to their Killer counterparts

"Power creep" is raising the bar on what is considered the most powerful thing or making the most powerful thing significantly more available. Slaying weapons are not the most powerful weapons in the game right now and are therefore not power creep. Mega Rayquaza is power creep. Mega Mawile is not.

I can't for the life of me remember the actual word you're looking for, though, besides "straight up upgrades", which is not the word I'm looking for.

40 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

"Power creep" is raising the bar on what is considered the most powerful thing or making the most powerful thing significantly more available. Slaying weapons are not the most powerful weapons in the game right now and are therefore not power creep. Mega Rayquaza is power creep. Mega Mawile is not.

I can't for the life of me remember the actual word you're looking for, though, besides "straight up upgrades", which is not the word I'm looking for.

Cursed Lance fits the meaning of power creep better imo, being uninheritable weapon meaning it has 16 MT, and it's effect is like Swift Sparrow + Killer Lance but with the drawback of Fury.