SERENES POKEMON DRAFT LEAGUE: Drafting Thread

Shoblongoo

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1/448. I'm out. Statistically, I'm twice as likely to boot up Binding Blade right now and get a perfect level up with Marcus. That's fact. No ill will to anyone participating, just giving y'all the heads up so you can sort it out now. Bottom line, there's reasonable doubt for me that the RNG happens to drop my name dead last 3 times in a row, combined with passive aggressive comments made by the TO because he was politely challenged. Not the kind of thing I want to participate in. If I'm wrong so be it, but from my perspective, this smells.

Peace.

2 hours ago, Deltre said:

1/448. I'm out. Statistically, I'm twice as likely to boot up Binding Blade right now and get a perfect level up with Marcus. That's fact. No ill will to anyone participating, just giving y'all the heads up so you can sort it out now. Bottom line, there's reasonable doubt for me that the RNG happens to drop my name dead last 3 times in a row, combined with passive aggressive comments made by the TO because he was politely challenged. Not the kind of thing I want to participate in. If I'm wrong so be it, but from my perspective, this smells.

Peace.

I've been randomizing it each time. And I set it up 2-picks-per-round with the orders for second picks reversed so that no one gets screwed by "bad" RNG; there's always going to be an equal number of people drafting before and after you regardless of whether your numbers are 8/9, 5/12, or 1/16 (8/9 actually gives you the advantage of knowing exactly what you're second pick is going to be when you take your first pick, and accordingly draft synergetic pairings. That's situationally better then getting a first pick, and taking that pick with incomplete knowledge of what teammates are still going to be available 15 picks later). Sad to see you go and hope you'll reconsider. If you're leaving though: we need an 8th player to replace you. Spread the word guys (any idea who among the member base could potentially sub in?)

1 minute ago, Shoblongoo said:

I've been randomizing it each time. And I set it up 2-picks-per-round with the orders for second picks reversed so that no one gets screwed by "bad" RNG; there's always going to be an equal number of people drafting before and after you regardless of whether your numbers are 8/9, 5/12, or 1/16 (8/9 actually gives you the advantage of knowing exactly what you're second pick is going to be when you take your first pick, and accordingly draft synergetic pairings. That's situationally better then getting a first pick, and taking that pick with incomplete knowledge of what teammates are still going to be available 15 picks later). Sad to see you go and hope you'll reconsider. If you're leaving though: we need an 8th player to replace you. Spread the word guys (any idea who among the member base could potentially sub in?)

I can ask Ronnie if he's willing to join.

And bruh--not for nothing. But you got pick #2 and drafted the best Pokémon in the format the only round where early seed picks actually matter (i.e. round 1 OU--the round where you can grab Landorus). I'd rather have that RNG then every early pick from UU down.

Edited by Shoblongoo

I don't see what's so bad about draft order RNG; most drafts I play only randomize order once and continue to snake from that. People at the bottom can put together teams just fine, and in fact there are advantages to having an end space because once you have a draft plan in mind you can make one-two picks without the threat of being sniped in-between. And when you do? You have the biggest window to work out a backup plan. Middle positions may get the most consistent pick times but they have the most to worry about the competition.

...I could have just left the pick orders from Round #1 intact for the entire draft, and let the reverse-picks for the second half of the round even everything out Settlers-of-Catan Style. I did RNG because randomness adds an extra element of fun to it.

w/e. I'm not gonna harp on it. He's welcome to stay if he wants to keep drafting. If not I just hope we don't get held up to long looking for a sub.

I'll do a stipulation that I must reroll RNG in the next round until @Deltregets the 1/16 pick--since he did roll 8/9 in the past several rounds, and statistically that shouldn't have happened--if he feels like he's been unfairly disadvantaged by those numbers.

(1st pick in NU probably matters more than RU and UU. Since the first few picks can actually make for some really nice additions to the pool, but after that pick quality is going to start dropping off really fast)

Acceptable?

1 hour ago, X-Naut said:

Meloetta 

@Nym

Edited by Shoblongoo

Okay so my mind is still stuck in Gen VI and I thought Virizion was still RU when it's a tier down.

Soooo @Shoblongoo can I change my pick to Araquanid and we'll be done with it?

Edited by X-Naut

20 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

Okay so my mind is still stuck in Gen VI and I thought Virizion was still RU when it's a tier down.

Soooo @Shoblongoo can I change my pick to Araquanid and we'll be done with it?

kk. I'll swap it out before it gets too messy.  Please be careful. 

17 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

lol so this is the round where everyone remembered oh shit. we need grass types.

Not everyone!

Also, Necrozma.

@Deltre, er, I guess it would be..? We'll see.

Edited by Emerson

...so it looks like we're on indefinite hiatus until we get a sub. I'm getting a lot of Pokémon related questions in my interview thread.  I'll throw out an ad there and see if anyone else wants to come in.