FE Twitter shows new Anna design, some footage (& on-going character profiles)

Jedi

I'm gonna do some statistical analysis now.  Why?  I dunno, 'cuz I feel like it, I guess.  And 'cuz one of the characters I was looking forward to (and have yet to be disappointed by) was just revealed.  Behold my amateur powers of observation!

I think Twitter interactions is a good indication of initial popularity for these characters, at least among those who are actively following FE news (and Japanese fans, obviously).

So let's see, in terms of Twitter interactions since the reveals of the enemies (in other words, within the last couple weeks), we have...

Alois:

• Bio: 1.7k likes, 733 retweets, and 19 comments
  • Video: 1.8k likes, 653 retweets, and 28 comments

Seteth:

• Bio: 3.3k likes, 2.1k retweets, and 61 comments
  • Video: 2.3k likes, 1k retweets, and 46 comments

Flayn:

• Bio: 3.5k likes, 1.5k retweets, and 50 comments
  • Video: 2.3, 861 retweets, and 27 comments

Jeritza:

• Bio: 2.3k likes, 1.1k retweets, and 59 comments
  • Video: 1.8k likes, 676 retweets, and 15 comments

Tomas:

• Bio: 1.2k likes, 466 retweets, and 23 comments
  • Video: 1.1k likes, 375 retweets, and 12 comments

Gilbert:

• Bio: 1.4k likes, 563 retweets, and 12 comments
  • Video: 1.2k likes, 416 retweets, and 6 comments

Shamir:

• Bio: 4.2k likes, 2k retweets, and 74 comments
  • Video: 2k likes, 815 retweets, and 16 comments

What can be gleamed from this is a few things.

Firstly, I think it's reasonable to assume likes would be the best judge of popularity, both because that indicates people like the character enough to hit the button and because the other stats seem to be roughly in proportion to the like statistics.

Secondly, it seems the threshold of attaining popularity is around 3k likes.  That is how many likes each of the house leaders received, some other characters (like Ingrid, Dorothea, and Marianne) have notably broken that.  In fact, I'd say the popularity tier list would be like this:

• Under 1k likes - Either unnoticed entirely or a common enemy among the fandom; as far as I can see, none have reached this level of infamy/ignored, but it will be noteworthy if anyone manages to fit in this tier
  • 1k likes - Noticed, but very few care all that much for them; for the most part, this is occupied by a lot of the male instructors, alongside the male members of "Those who slither in the dark" (poor Lorenz is in this tier, too)
  • 2k likes - More notable, but still not quite that popular; some guys (such as Jeralt) and maybe a few girls fit in this category, notably there are no older men in this category and all the other antagonists seem to fit in this category
  • 3k likes - Has some degree of popularity; all of the main characters and a lot of students fit in this category, along with the likes of Seteth, Flayn and Catherine
  • 4k likes - Pretty popular; Shamir, Ingrid, Lysithea, Mercedes, almost Bernadettaalmost Rhea as well, and Dorothea are all the characters that fit in this category
  • 5k likes - Utmost popular; only two characters fit in this category, and they are Marianne and Byleth (I'm using two of their April 25th Tweets as a basis for this, as we didn't get a set for Byleth in the same style as the other ones; notably, one of them received over 7k likes)

Thirdly, males get less interactions.  Based on previous statistics gathered from older sources such as FEH polls or the character popularity polls of previous games, this is not entirely surprising.  So among this list, it would seem that Seteth is one of the more popular male characters, especially among the instructors.

Fourthly, the bios get more interactions.  I suppose this would indicate people like getting more comprehensive information on character over watching your protagonist interact with them.  The only place where this isn't the case is with Dimitri's tweets, interestingly enough, although his bio has more retweets than the video.

Lastly, among all the instructors so far, Shamir seems to be one of the utmost popular ones, followed by Catherine and Seteth.  The rest are pretty much beneath a lot of people's notice, which is unfortunate.  Though it should be noted that this is primarily based on statistics gather from a Japanese Twitter account.  That said, it makes sense that younger characters are more popular.  What is noteworthy is Shamir's the only instructor besides Byleth to break the 4k threshold.

In essence...

1 hour ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Funny thing I knew she was very anticipated since (no offense to fans of Tomas and Gilbert) after Flayn the 2 reveals were pretty lackluster and she skyrocketed tremendously on twitter!

This seems to be an accurate statement.  Jeritza is the only male instructor since Flayn's introduction to break even the 2k threshold, meanwhile we have Shamir here who outright shattered that, and it hasn't even been a full day since her bio and video have been tweeted out (heck, it hasn't even been half a day).

I'd almost think the reason for this anomaly is because she seems younger than the rest of the instructors, but that alone would only put her among the 3k or 2k crowd.  So I think people legitimately like this first impression of Shamir.  Granted, again it's based on statistics from a Japanese Twitter account, but I still think it's a decent measure of popularity among more hardcore FE fans.  Though I could also see her being popular among casual fans, or at least I could see my sister really liking her.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean it's not that difficult to see why, she's a good looking girl, even if she were to be the most boring character in the world she'd get popularity. We can stay here to argue all day but the "waifu" game is definitely a big part of this franchise at this point (it is anime, after all).

Edited by timon

I wonder if the faculty will get their personal skills shown if Shamir gets a skill like Petras but in reverse yikes!(she looks like an assassin or swordmaster in a archers clothes).

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

24 minutes ago, timon said:

I mean it's not that difficult to see why, she's a good looking girl, even if she were to be the most boring character in the world she'd get popularity. We can stay here to argue all day but the "waifu" game is definitely a big part of this franchise at this point (it is anime, after all).

I'd say it's a big part of almost every game from Japan these days, really.

Me after Dorothea was revealed: What is this anachronism? A choker collar? A busboy cap? 4/10 would not S rank #NotMyFireEmblem

Me after Shamir was revealed: Wow. Wow. Such style. So much personality. Perfect worldbuilding. Why isn’t she the protagonist? Shamir’s outfit and haircut as DLC for Byleth plz. 99/10

12 hours ago, Onestep said:

While I do like her design, does it not seem really modern to anyone else? As in, strip away the shoulderpad and she'd fit into a Persona or any other JRPG set in modern Tokyo.

I think that's a general problem with all the character designs (though I still like most of them).

Well she's now 5K likes and still going in a single day joining Marianne and Byleth in the milestone such power!!!! @Ertrick36

Now I'm guessing Cyril is probably tomorrow as someone said to be similar to Flayn then Rodrigue and the unknown now.

3 hours ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Well she's now 5K likes and still going in a single day joining Marianne and Byleth in the milestone such power!!!! @Ertrick36

Now I'm guessing Cyril is probably tomorrow as someone said to be similar to Flayn then Rodrigue and the unknown now.

If they announce another character tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

Yeah, I think it's a little presumptuous to assume another Saturday reveal. It may happen but they've been very on and off on those.

You have failed, to reach the thruth!

Edited by User name

4 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

Yeah, I think it's a little presumptuous to assume another Saturday reveal. It may happen but they've been very on and off on those.

No it isn't because it just happened: Cyril

+ @MetalAmethyst

Bio:

Cyril (CV: Kawanishi Kengo)

A young boy working as a servant for Archbishop Rhea. He is deeply grateful to Rhea for saving him from his life as a war orphan. He takes his duties at the Monastery very seriously, so much that he is prone to seeming cold to others. Wanting to be useful to Rhea, he has Shamir teach him the basics of archery.

Second pic:

"I'm Cyril, Lady Rhea's servant and Shamir's pupil."

Convo:

"I don't know who you are, but don't get in my way of my job, okay? Lady Rhea's plans after this are..."

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

Okay, so not much to Cyril thus far, but hey, I didn't love Sothe either before the PoR -> RD timeskip.

I wonder what's the plan at this point, we have relatively few known characters left. Like, Lonato, Rodrigue, Seiros and Nemesis perhaps? That's not three weeks of reveals no matter how you look at it.

Just now, Cysx said:

Okay, so not much to Cyril thus far, but hey, I didn't love Sothe either before the PoR -> RD timeskip.

I wonder what's the plan at this point, we have relatively few known characters left. Like, Lonato, Rodrigue, Seiros and Nemesis perhaps? That's not three weeks of reveals no matter how you look at it.

They could do proper Nightcrawler Bios one week; relatives of the lords another week and then finish off the remaining units we've seen but have not been bio'd yet.

4 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

"I don't know who you are, but don't get in my way of my job, okay? Lady Rhea's plans after this are..."

I feel it's important to note that he isn't being very rude about this, by the way he phrases it. I feel "Please don't get in the way of my job, okay?" hits the tone a bit better.    

1 minute ago, Nanima said:

I feel it's important to note that he isn't being very rude about this, by the way he phrases it. I feel "Please don't get in the way of my job, okay?" hits the tone a bit better.    

He's not being terribly rude, but he's not being polite either, and definitely didn't say any equivalent of "please", so I left it out.

3 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

They could do proper Nightcrawler Bios one week; relatives of the lords another week and then finish off the remaining units we've seen but have not been bio'd yet.

2 minutes ago, Mysterique Sign said:

Rodrigue, Lonato, Anna -> Seiros, Nemesis, Goddess -> Timeskip Byleth, Timeskip Edelgard, Timeskip Dimitri, Timeskip Claude?

Both are possible, but I just get the feeling in general that we don't have the big picture in our hands just yet. It makes sense to have more frequent reveals the closer we get of course, but in a context where you don't have that many that look meaningful remaining...

I guess another way I could have worded it is that we're swiftly running out of known playable characters, in fact, we have haven't we? Rodrigue is a question mark I suppose, and Anna as well, but beyond that...

4 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

He's not being terribly rude, but he's not being polite either, and definitely didn't say any equivalent of "please", so I left it out.

I know, but just reading the sentence without seeing the video made it come across as a bit snappier than what he said in the actual video. I don't think it's always necessary to see a 1/1 word equivalent for "please" in Japanese to add it in English in order to get across the level of politeness, but I guess we just make different calls on that.

4 minutes ago, Nanima said:

I know, but just reading the sentence without seeing the video made it come across as a bit snappier than what he said in the actual video. I don't think it's always necessary to see a 1/1 word equivalent for "please" in Japanese to add it in English in order to get across the level of politeness, but I guess we just make different calls on that.

Well, from my point of view, his tone is that of a kid that doesn't mean any malice, but what he's actually saying is still pretty rude. He's talking to a stranger (who's also older than him, so extra rude in Japanese) and being very blunt about it.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

-Rodrigue is likely next week somewhere.

-Very doubtful we're getting another "Those who slither in the dark" bio again they're done and fine.

-Honestly at this point since they reveal Nemesis a bunch(with obvious spoilers) him and Seiros are probably the release week with Anna being release day since she's always just inconsequential anyway.