Choose Your Legends Round 4 Official Discussion Thread!

DefyingFates

Will you vote in CYL Round 4?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Where will your votes go?

• I'm not voting.
    • I'm (mostly) voting for a Three Houses character/s.
    • I'm (mostly) voting for a Heroes OC/s.
    • I'm voting for someone from an earlier game.

Just now, DefyingFates said:

Has CYL ever been part of a FEH Channel before? I thought the results were exclusively revealed via Twitter/ in-game notifications. In fact I remember people joking that last year's FEH Channel came out the next day specifically to wash away the reactions to the results.

Things are looking weird for this particular anniversary.  The voting started a little earlier, and due to last year's results, perhaps a format change might be in order?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, eclipse said:

Things are looking weird for this particular anniversary.  The voting started a little earlier, and due to last year's results, perhaps a format change might be in order?

That could certainly happen! May I ask what you mean by "due to last year's results" though? Is this about Marth falling to 3rd place?

Just now, DefyingFates said:

That could certainly happen! May I ask what you mean by "due to last year's results" though? Is this about Marth falling to 3rd place?

Remember that Camilla clause in my "don't do this" for most of the CYL threads?  Between her, the placement of the guys, and the early voting for Robin, it's clear that CYL has mutated.  It was bound to be a CYL with controversy, and this one looks like it'll be no different.  Imagine the storm if Dimitri somehow winds up in third place!

I don't think we ever got the CYL results featured in a Feh Channel, but I'm pretty sure we always got a Feh Channel for the anniversary. So we should be seeing one for the anniversary stuff, and we've yet to learn what the Divine Codes are for too. That certainly would be in a Feh Channel.

7 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Remember that Camilla clause in my "don't do this" for most of the CYL threads?  Between her, the placement of the guys, and the early voting for Robin, it's clear that CYL has mutated.  It was bound to be a CYL with controversy, and this one looks like it'll be no different.  Imagine the storm if Dimitri somehow winds up in third place!

True...

On one hand those are all reasons IS should continue to publish the results quietly then have a big Feh Channel for what they want you to concentrate on, but it'd be interesting if they mixed things up a little and bringing it up in the Channel itself would be the perfect way to do that. I know it's not the most popular idea, but expanding to include the top 3 of each gender as was brought up before would be worthy of a Channel announcement for example (besides, IS usually makes 5-6 units per content update anyway, so it's not that far a stretch). Thanks!

Edit: I just checked past Feh Channels. The last two anniversary Channels were released on Jan 30th/ 31st 2018 and Feb 1st/ 2nd 2019 depending on your timezone, so there's that.

Edited by DefyingFates

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

but my dream. . .is the top 4.

Well...yeah, actually; mine too. But I want to be at least a little realistic 😛

However, now that Farfetched banners are gone, we could get Heroes 1-4 in August and 5-8 in Autumn. That could work! Might still be a bit excessive though.

Edited by DefyingFates

3 hours ago, daisy jane said:

again no. - I think that would be horrible. 
as it is right now, we get 4 new heroes with busted kits/new outfits a year. who barely show up as it is. They don't have many Heroes w/banners, and aren't on legendary very often. And we can't always count that there will be a hero fest. so you have (really) two guaranteed times (debut and repeat on CYL banners) to get what you want - and you want to split it via gender and have another banner

I do not think there is anything wrong with expanding the CYL to include third or even fourth place winners. It makes more people happy and gives more choices when it is time for players to pick their free unit.

Most CYL units are far from being busted, and they are more lackluster than busted as a whole. Some of them are good, but only one or two was ever busted.

BH!Lyn was busted for a while because of her decent stat distribution and Weapon-movement class combo. She was indirectly nerfed when Weapon Refinement and trenches came out, and while she is still good, ASS!Takumi and Claude way outshines her now. None of the other CYL1 units even come close to being busted until their Weapon Refinements came out, and the only CYL1 unit that I would even called busted now is BH!Ike. BH!Lyn, BH!Lucina, and BH!Roy are currently just on par with the competition and nowhere near broken; they are good, they are just not above and beyond the competition.

The only CYL2 unit that is anywhere close to being busted is AOTB!Veronica, and even then, I do not think she is strong enough to qualify. She is good, but she has issues due to lacking Reposition and she faces all other issues BH!Lyn faces. She is better than BH!Lyn on defense for providing Panic in addition to being a Firesweep nuke but any cavalry staff user can do the same role. In player hands, no Reposition is a deal breaker in my opinion. Everyone else on CYL2 are rather lack luster. The melee infantry and armor units that was introduced was just not great.

CYL3 is the same with relatively lackluster units. BE!Camilla was the best of the bunch in my opinion, but she has the same problem as AOTB!Veronica in lacking Reposition. BE!Micaiah has sustainability and performance issues due to Yune's Whisper taking up the B slot, so she needs to offload debuffing to support units to fix that. The melee units are just not impressive this time either.

As for showing up less often, that is not really an issue since you can count on it showing up annually on a relatively predictable schedule. The only ones with that issue are the regular 5* Heroes without any known schedule to reappear. CYL, Special, Legendary, and Mythic Heroes can all be counted on to reappear regularly, it just takes a while.

12 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Phrasing, dear.  😛

I am not sure I get it. Outside of A Special Soiree contraction, I do not think anything else can be taken the wrong way.

12 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Lest I start asking you about your opinion of what makes a guy cute~!

I like Jacob from Twilight. Tanned skin, buff but not too buff body, baby face, and undying loyalty makes him pretty attractive. The closest Fire Emblem equivalent would be Helbindi, except his face, but some would argue that because of his fugly face that he is cute; he is also a tsundere, which I think adds to the cuteness, and I really like how he takes care of and protect Ylgr to make up for the fact that he could not save his real sister. His undying loyalty to imoutos is admirable. 

I think I will make a topic on this in Far from the Forest later. We need more cute guy topics.

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Ideally, Claude would end up in third place, so when he wins next year, he will power creep Leif: Unifier of Thracia as an even more bonkers cavalry archer, and everyone else would wish their House leader was in third place this year.

While I like the fact that Edelgard is winning, I do not have much confidence that the developers can power creep her properly, since I find most melee Brave Heroes to be a bit lacking. I am hoping that she gets a Slaying-Meister axe, but I do not think the developers will give something like that unless it is for a Legendary or Mythic Hero.

If the brave heroes are all from 3 Houses, I wonder how will that play with the schedule? If future 3h banners will be suspended for the winners or there will be at some point a double dosage of Fodlan. If there are all 3H winners there will some sort of upset, same with the opposite. Quite a gamble we are about to face.

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

I do not think there is anything wrong with expanding the CYL to include third or even fourth place winners. It makes more people happy and gives more choices when it is time for players to pick their free unit.

Most CYL units are far from being busted, and they are more lackluster than busted as a whole. Some of them are good, but only one or two was ever busted.

BH!Lyn was busted for a while because of her decent stat distribution and Weapon-movement class combo. She was indirectly nerfed when Weapon Refinement and trenches came out, and while she is still good, ASS!Takumi and Claude way outshines her now. None of the other CYL1 units even come close to being busted until their Weapon Refinements came out, and the only CYL1 unit that I would even called busted now is BH!Ike. BH!Lyn, BH!Lucina, and BH!Roy are currently just on par with the competition and nowhere near broken; they are good, they are just not above and beyond the competition.

The only CYL2 unit that is anywhere close to being busted is AOTB!Veronica, and even then, I do not think she is strong enough to qualify. She is good, but she has issues due to lacking Reposition and she faces all other issues BH!Lyn faces. She is better than BH!Lyn on defense for providing Panic in addition to being a Firesweep nuke but any cavalry staff user can do the same role. In player hands, no Reposition is a deal breaker in my opinion. Everyone else on CYL2 are rather lack luster. The melee infantry and armor units that was introduced was just not great.

CYL3 is the same with relatively lackluster units. BE!Camilla was the best of the bunch in my opinion, but she has the same problem as AOTB!Veronica in lacking Reposition. BE!Micaiah has sustainability and performance issues due to Yune's Whisper taking up the B slot, so she needs to offload debuffing to support units to fix that. The melee units are just not impressive this time either.

As for showing up less often, that is not really an issue since you can count on it showing up annually on a relatively predictable schedule. The only ones with that issue are the regular 5* Heroes without any known schedule to reappear. CYL, Special, Legendary, and Mythic Heroes can all be counted on to reappear regularly, it just takes a while.

I agree with all of this, thank you!

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

Ideally, Claude would end up in third place, so when he wins next year, he will power creep Leif: Unifier of Thracia as an even more bonkers cavalry archer, and everyone else would wish their House leader was in third place this year.

If the "four Heroes per gender" idea was chosen, I figured the 1st and 2nd of each gender would get Prf Skills, if that's what you're talking about here.

1 minute ago, Jingle Jangle said:

If the brave heroes are all from 3 Houses, I wonder how will that play with the schedule? If future 3h banners will be suspended for the winners or there will be at some point a double dosage of Fodlan.

All banners except CYL are planned far in advance, so I think we would just get two 3H banners back to back if it came to it.

2 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

If there are all 3H winners there will some sort of upset, same with the opposite. Quite a gamble we are about to face.

Yeah. That's part of the reason I wondered if they'd be willing to expand the winning ranks, since that way everyone wins. Also as was said before, there are so many popular characters out there that letting more people win just makes things much smoother for everyone involved, especially fans of characters who always come incredibly close to winning all the time.

24 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Has CYL ever been part of a FEH Channel before? I thought the results were exclusively revealed via Twitter/ in-game notifications. In fact I remember people joking that last year's FEH Channel came out the next day specifically to wash away the reactions to the results.

Nope. We never got the results in a Feh Channel.

Last year, for example, we got the results 1 day before the FEH Channel, while CYL 2 results were annouced one day after the Feh Channel.

38 minutes ago, XRay said:

I am not sure I get it. Outside of A Special Soiree contraction, I do not think anything else can be taken the wrong way.

Yeah.  That.  Kinda sounds like you're admiring it.

38 minutes ago, XRay said:

While I like the fact that Edelgard is winning, I do not have much confidence that the developers can power creep her properly, since I find most melee Brave Heroes to be a bit lacking. I am hoping that she gets a Slaying-Meister axe, but I do not think the developers will give something like that unless it is for a Legendary or Mythic Hero.

I like her base form - still does her job well enough.  My guess is that she'd end up similar to Hector's axe forms.

57 minutes ago, XRay said:

Right. And people want it expanded because some of their favourites might not win. And then where do you draw the line – Next year when you have say the top 3, and favourite is #4 and #5 do we complain about how unfair that is, and we should have the top 5 people in each division win? Or 10 Where do you draw the line of expansion? Why remove the specialness out of it?  Like then why bother having CYL at all where you vote to who wins if we’re just going to toss out “well you were close yeah we’ll let you in too?” everytime the voting doesn’t look relatively kosher to our liking? Because that’s exactly what will happen.

People are passionate about this because we know IntSys uses this to cultivate banners for the up coming year (basically starting from the time CYL launches in August until the next voting ballot opening). AND they want their person to be top two. (heck. There are some people who didn’t vote for Marth because they wanted Marth to win #1 male and get the PRF skill)..

That’s why people care so much. They want their person to win. And to win the outfit and to be one of the best units (for the time being). (I strongly disagree with your assessments but you play a lot differently than me so that’s fine. YMMV and all of that).

One of my very favourite units might not even make it to top 10, and my favourite woman vote will not win, but all that means is that next year ill hope that they will. And if it means it won’t happen next year then oh well. Why ask for a rule change simply because my unit isn’t placing well enough to actually win?  

At any rate. I don’t want to cause any more arguments or whatever – I just think it’s an extremely poor idea and one that I doubt very much IntSys will even contemplate. So we will just sit back and see who actually won on both sides.

33 minutes ago, Othin said:

I think Feh Channels are recorded way too far in advance to involve CYL results. 

This is true, but as long as Feh doesn't say anything specific about them they could still insert an image of the winners right before they render the trailer.

But considering how long the Channels take to upload...yeah, even that would probably take too much time.

41 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Nope. We never got the results in a Feh Channel.

Last year, for example, we got the results 1 day before the FEH Channel, while CYL 2 results were annouced one day after the Feh Channel.

Thanks!

56 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

People are passionate about this because we know IntSys uses this to cultivate banners for the up coming year (basically starting from the time CYL launches in August until the next voting ballot opening). AND they want their person to be top two. (heck. There are some people who didn’t vote for Marth because they wanted Marth to win #1 male and get the PRF skill).. .

If I may add my two cents...

I vote for Marth simply because he's my favourite FE character (plus he was robbed in CYL 2, you can't deny that), I don't care about how many alts he has, he could have ten alts and I'd still vote for him, because he's my favourite. I'm not bothered if he gets first or second, as long as he places in either spot. I just want him to get a new costume (preferably his original design). That being said, I don't agree with expanding the winners to the top three. It means it'd be a six person banner, there would be colour overlap. That would be awful for a banner as hyped up as CYL, if that makes sense.

11 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

They can split the characters into 2 banners like they did in the past with the Alm's Army and Celica's Army banners.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking too. After all, two 3-person banners gives you better odds of pulling the Heroes you want, right?

1 hour ago, Lau said:

If I may add my two cents...

I vote for Marth simply because he's my favourite FE character (plus he was robbed in CYL 2, you can't deny that), I don't care about how many alts he has, he could have ten alts and I'd still vote for him, because he's my favourite. I'm not bothered if he gets first or second, as long as he places in either spot. I just want him to get a new costume (preferably his original design). That being said, I don't agree with expanding the winners to the top three. It means it'd be a six person banner, there would be colour overlap. That would be awful for a banner as hyped up as CYL, if that makes sense.

Oh for sure. this was one specific person i meant - (not saying all marth fans did that). and I'm with you regarding all of that). 
There doesn't need to be two pity people. if Dimitri was 3rd, I'd be saying the exact same thing. try again next year, bub, and let the 4 winners enjoy their time in the spotlight.   and again considering one of my ultimate favourites isn't even in the top ten i'm not saying this because i voted for Dimitri. 

I'm sorry i'm just finding it hard to believe if it was say Eirika #1, and Edelgard #2, and Marth 1 and Dimitri/Claude 2 if there would be this wave of "oh hey maybe we should expand to 3-4 winners and have multiple banners." 

Personally, I think top 3 would be all right. Because in competitions you get a gold medalist and a silver medalist and a bronze medalist. Also, having a bigger choice of characters gives the developers a bigger umbrella for money. People aren't satisfied with the top 4? Expand it to top 3 for each gender, and maybe the people who weren't satisfied with the top 4 have someone in 5 and 6 that they do like.

More than 3 would be iffy though, even with the huge amount of characters FE has. Also, adding third place would add the issue of how powerful/not powerful third place winners will be. First place already gets an exclusive skill and weapon while second place only gets the weapon. What would third place get? And would it be better to just win CYL next year than to be an underpowered third place the current year? All good questions to ask.

I hope that they never expand it to top 3. Top 2 is fine as it is. I don’t care about who deserves anything, if X character isn’t in top 2 that year, it means that there hasn’t been enough support and that it doesn’t deserve a CYL alt that year.

If people get mad, just vote harder (you know, incognito in every single device they have access to and that kind of things) next year.

28 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

I'm sorry i'm just finding it hard to believe if it was say Eirika #1, and Edelgard #2, and Marth 1 and Dimitri/Claude 2 if there would be this wave of "oh hey maybe we should expand to 3-4 winners and have multiple banners." 

Speaking personally, I'll admit that's part of the reason I chose to spoke up about it this past week, but including the 3rd place winners is something I've had on my mind ever since Year 2 because IS decided to expand CYL to the 2nd place winners back in Year 1. As others have said, there are hundreds of characters in Fire Emblem, so expanding the winners' roster after a few years always made sense to me.

25 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Personally, I think top 3 would be all right. Because in competitions you get a gold medalist and a silver medalist and a bronze medalist.

Also because of this. I don't think the 3rd place winners should be treated any differently to the 2nd placers though. Giving the 1st place winners Prf Skills is special treatment enough.

Edited by DefyingFates

11 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Also because of this. I don't think the 3rd place winners should be treated any differently to the 2nd placers though. Giving the 1st place winners Prf Skills is special treatment enough.

then they don't need to have to be a CYL third place unit. 

First place is the Outfit, the Weapon and a Prf skill

Second place is the Outfit, the Weapon.

Third through whatever # it is, is better luck next year and vote harder - or in some cases - don't stop voting and be complacent. 

18 minutes ago, Javi Blizz said:

I hope that they never expand it to top 3. Top 2 is fine as it is. I don’t care about who deserves anything, if X character isn’t in top 2 that year, it means that there hasn’t been enough support and that it doesn’t deserve a CYL alt that year.

If people get mad, just vote harder (you know, incognito in every single device they have access to and that kind of things) next year.

Pretty much. It's a voting contest. People voted. let's accept that and rally for our favourites next year. Not ask to amend the rules so they could get in that way.