Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Finale's gonna be Melia v Mythra, calling it right now.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't care for dystopian literature, makes me too depressed. 

Same. I've read 1984 and animal farm once, but it's not something I'd want to do again.

Edited by DragonFlames

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

13 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Finale's gonna be Melia v Mythra, calling it right now.

Same. I've read 1984 and animal farm once, but it's not something I'd want to do again.

The major ones I’ve read are 1984, We, Fahrenheit 451, Animal Farm, and Brave New World.

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The major ones I’ve read are 1984, We, Fahrenheit 451, Animal Farm, and Brave New World.

I heard about Brave New World, actually, but I never read it.
I have no plans to do so, either, because as twilitfalchion very aptly put it, 2020 is depressing enough.

17 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I have no plans to do so, either, because as twilitfalchion very aptly put it, 2020 is depressing enough.

Well if it makes you feel any better Draggy they’d probably force me to play TMS # FE if I was put into Room 101 of the Ministry of Love.

Edited by Wraith

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

It was the second dystopian work I had to read for school at about the age of 14 IIRC, I hated it. My mind was of innocence only starting towards nuanced thought beforehand, the book's core premise of dystopia through orgies and drug use was extremely terrifying. If I taught, I would never assign it to students without an individualized understanding of their psychological progression into adulthood and awareness of sexuality.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It was the second dystopian work I had to read for school at about the age of 14 IIRC, I hated it. My mind was of innocence only starting towards nuanced thought beforehand, the book's core premise of dystopia through orgies and drug use was extremely terrifying. If I taught, I would never assign it to students without an individualized understanding of their psychological progression into adulthood and awareness of sexuality.

I read it when I was 15 I think. I really enjoyed it, although I have a hard time recalling the entire plot in my head.

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Well if it makes you feel any better Draggy they’d probably force me to play TMS # FE in I was put into Room 101 of the Ministry of Love.

... Why would that make me feel better?

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It was the second dystopian work I had to read for school, I hated it. My mind was of innocence only starting towards nuanced thought beforehand, the book's core premise of dystopia through orgies and drug use was extremely terrifying.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I can't begin to imagine what that must've been like.
I was lucky that nothing of the sort happened to me during my school life.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If I taught, I would never assign it to students without an individualized understanding of their psychological progression into adulthood and awareness of sexuality.

That is a good mindset to have, I think.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It was the second dystopian work I had to read for school, I hated it. My mind was of innocence only starting towards nuanced thought beforehand, the book's core premise of dystopia through orgies and drug use was extremely terrifying. If I taught, I would never assign it to students without an individualized understanding of their psychological progression into adulthood and awareness of sexuality.

I can't believe you were forced to read something so dark at such a young age, especially when it clearly bothered you so much.

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

... Why would that make me feel better?

Because it would show us that The Party are willing to go to the most horrible extremes in their methods of torture, using a method that even O’Brien would probably think is to cruel and evil.

Edited by Wraith

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

Because it would show us that The Party are willing to go to the most horrible extremes in their methods of torture, using a method that even O’Brian would probably think is to cruel and evil.

And why would that make me feel better?

---

In any case, reading 1984 definitely contributed to me becoming way more cynical towards politics in general.
Though real life did a good job with that, too.

Seeing how disgusting modern politics has become has been enough to turn me off from caring about it at all and into changing my career focus (I'm a government major).

I had originally planned to find a position in government wherever I could and work from there, but now I just want to work on my writing. I enjoy it more than anything else. Of course, I have no idea whether I'll be successful or not though no matter how much I'd like to be.

19 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I can't believe you were forced to read something so dark at such a young age, especially when it clearly bothered you so much.

The teachers, who were very nice and fun people, didn't seem to bat an eye at assigning it when I finally met them in the fall.

Not all of us kids turn 13 and suddenly want edginess, sex and blood in the puerile sense embodied by things like Duke Nukem, God of War, and Shadow the Hedgehog. I wouldn't say I was immaculate, I was already exposed to SoulCalibur's Ivy and there were two gratuitous bath scenes I discovered in a GBA game. But I was still almost an angel, Tales of Symphonia's take on fantasy racism was as far as my mind had progressed towards complex understanding.

As if that was not enough, I had to read in the same summer Snow Falling on Cedars. The book is supposed to be about Japanese internment camps during World War II and subsequent racism towards Japanese-Americans. But after the trauma of BNW, my mind got stuck on the love-making scenes where the guy's underwear becomes pointed and his wife says "now I know true beauty" in the middle of the copulation.

Something to calm down to, because I certainly need that right now.
Friggin' hell, my heart is in turbo mode...

And yes, there is a theme in Blue Reflection that is literally titled "Blue Reflection". Go figure.

Edited by DragonFlames
"Hell", not "heal". Wtf, Draggy?

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Friggin' heal, my heart is in turbo mode...

Thanks for sharing that. It's beautiful and very soothing.

Because I'm a totally decisive person, I end up heading back to Estark's Labyrinth to grind. This time, however, I decided to have some extra measures. I bought two Demon Spears for my Killing Machine and Barbatos. The Demon Spears have a 1/6 chance in triggering a critical hit. So once I encounter a Metal King Slime, I switch my party to the Killing Machine, Barbatos, Madchen, and Nera, so it's two 1/6 chances of a crit (which is just dealing your attack power ignoring any defenses of the enemy), and two 1/8 chances of an instant kill.

Luck decided to be on my side today for my first encounter with two MKS's... both fell. Nice!

My Golem is one level away from the cap but has maxed Strength. I decided to make another attempt at Estark. Went much better. Both Golem and Killing Machine were now dealing over 200 damage with Oomph, though sadly Madason still came short doing only a bit more than 150. Once Bounce wore of, I switched him instead for the Barbatos, who learned Kafrizzle. Still lucky, Estark didn't use Disruptive Wave until about the eighth or so turn... then decided to use it again for the next three turns. At this point I knew I wasn't gonna do it, so attempt aborted.

Well, time for a few more levels. Max the Killing Machine's strength before the third attempt. And hopefully it will be third time's the charm.

Though that's for next time.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Yep, that's how it works!
I'm sorry for being so terrible at explaining stuff.

It's fine, don't worry.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That reminds me:

ho986jr.jpg

Communist George Washington.

I don't think it's the same but I vaguely remember that that one Assassin's Creed game that takes place in Colonial times had George Washington as America's tyrant king after the Revolution.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although for SS they're going to have be really precise with the re-tuning of sword combat for the Joy-Cons instead of Wii Remotes.

I don't think it'd be too much of an issue. We could just have it be standard controls. Mainly because Switch Lite users would get fucked over if you need motion controls for it (well I suppose Ring Fit also fucks them over but that's a special case).

Regarding that dystopian literature talk, I was never assigned to read any in high school. 

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

Friggin' hell, my heart is in turbo mode...

And yes, there is a theme in Blue Reflection that is literally titled "Blue Reflection". Go figure.

That reminds me, I haven't done much of anything PS4 related as of late.