• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Hello, everyone.
I, um, haven't been here in a bit and... sorry for not making the promised update to my LP yesterday, but... on Sunday, my grandpa was diagnosed with bowel cancer, and things have been a bit rough since then.
I'm not dead or anything, though. Don't worry.

Oh god, that's awful! I'm so sorry that you have be to be going through this... I hope things will get better for you and your family.

Sooo I beat chapter 23 and I have no idea

Spoiler

how Robin has the Fire Emblem? If we left the real Fire Emblem back at the base and Validar had a fake, how did Robin grab it and come back in like 5 seconds? But then he said he stole it so he could at least steal it back, which I think implies the other Robin had it, but that would mean that the fake Robin made it all the way to the base and came back during the duration of the battle after the plan was revealed to Validar, and then took it back inside the castle where the opposing side that they were keeping it from was right? Huh? There’s no way this is right, can any Awakening buffs explain?

Edited by Sooks1016

Chapter 23 is so nonsensical even by Awakening standards that I genuine thought that the German translation screwed things up. So I switched over to English and... yeah, still as nonsensical. The writing is basically just trying to distract people from it's nonsense by burying it under more nonsense. Always move on quickly so that people don't have time to think about what they just read.
It feels so insulting.

It's the big moment they've been building up since the prologue too. Such a waste.

Edited by BrightBow

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

on Sunday, my grandpa was diagnosed with bowel cancer, and things have been a bit rough since then.

I'm sorry to hear that!

I know this feeling too well. Getting a shock diagnose of a close relative always is a downer. Though don't do the mistake as I did by being dragged down by this to turn into serious depressions. Life must continue, even if it's hard to say this right now. I learned from it. It might sound very emotionless by myself and absurd, but it's a situation you will have to grow from. I'm speaking of practical experience! Just take a deep breath for recovering. I wish you the best for you and your grandpa!

Anyway, on the subject of chapter 22, this gives me an opportunity to talk about something. Namely how the boss of chapter 22 doesn't stand out at all because everyone else on the map is a mini boss.

Under normal conditions, I wouldn't really consider this a bad point. It's just that the game built Aversa up as extremely powerful. It didn't mean to do that, but it did. In it's usual approach of copying stuff from better material without actually understanding them.
Aversa appears in chapter 9 as a unit, with the same stats she has as a chapter 22 boss. At the time this makes her seem utterly godlike if we are supposed to assume someone like Chrom is a strong fighter in that setting. Her numbers and level tower over everyone on this map. But by the time she is actually fought, her stats are perfectly average. Heck, she is essentially a mook on her map.

Putting a later boss onto an earlier map with the same stats is a trope that Fire Emblem has used plenty of times. But it was always used for units who have big numbers not because they are fought as a generic boss in the lategame, but because they genuine possess outstanding strength in that setting.
The Black Knight is probably the most recognizable example here. His strength is build up a lot and fittingly when he is actually fought, he is much stronger then the bosses after him, except for Ashnard himself. But he is not the only one. The likes of Zephidel and Hardin were most certainly meant to be outstanding warriors in their world. 
Heck, Alvis in FE4 isn't even fought with the stats he has as an NPC in the Prolouge. But they still accurately reflect his abilities. How he is this extremely gifted and powerful sorcerer. He is presented as powerful in a general sense, not powerful relative to Prolouge averages.

There are also some fakeout bosses like Narshen in FE6 for example. But they are not so far ahead of the crowd that defeating them when they first appear would be completely unreasonable. So they don't come across as overwhelmingly powerful at all.

Edited by BrightBow

38 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Chapter 23 is so nonsensical even by Awakening standards that I genuine thought that the German translation screwed things up. So I switched over to English and... yeah, still as nonsensical. The writing is basically just trying to distract people from it's nonsense by burying it under more nonsense. Always move on quickly so that people don't have time to think about what they just read.
It feels so insulting.

I didn’t have any problems until that moment except the fact that they didn’t tell us about the plan until it was relevant instead of setting it up (mainly

Spoiler

Basilio

being alive the whole time), really.

Unspoken Plan Guarantee

Never perused enough fiction? Plans we get told about are more prone to fail than plans that never get told to the audience.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I'm so fucking anxious today, man.

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Anyway, rant over. Tl;dr: Nintendo online bad. Don't give them moneys.

It legitimately feels like the one time Nintendo online has been good is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It's the one game where I only very rarely have connection problems. I would like to see that magic elsewhere.

7 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Hello, everyone.
I, um, haven't been here in a bit and... sorry for not making the promised update to my LP yesterday, but... on Sunday, my grandpa was diagnosed with bowel cancer, and things have been a bit rough since then.
I'm not dead or anything, though. Don't worry.

My condolences. I hope everything goes well.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It legitimately feels like the one time Nintendo online has been good is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It's the one game where I only very rarely have connection problems. I would like to see that magic elsewhere.

Splatoon 2 is also pretty great. I've had few issues in my admittedly short time with the game.

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

Splatoon 2 is also pretty great. I've had few issues in my admittedly short time with the game.

I had no issues either... Until my free trial ended, and coincidentally, I started getting booted from every second match.

...Taking off the tinfoil hat, though, a Splatfest started at the time. I imagine the higher number of players might've messed with Nintendo's servers. Or something. I dunno. I'm just trying to come up with any reason, no matter how stupid, for why the hell the game randomly became unplayable one day.

3 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

Sooo I beat chapter 23 and I have no idea

Hide contents

how Robin has the Fire Emblem? If we left the real Fire Emblem back at the base and Validar had a fake, how did Robin grab it and come back in like 5 seconds? But then he said he stole it so he could at least steal it back, which I think implies the other Robin had it, but that would mean that the fake Robin made it all the way to the base and came back during the duration of the battle after the plan was revealed to Validar, and then took it back inside the castle where the opposing side that they were keeping it from was right? Huh? There’s no way this is right, can any Awakening buffs explain?

Personally that’s the one part of awakening’s story that I think required a bit more explanation by the writers. Basilio being alive the whole time makes sense because well we never saw him die so to speak. The only confirmation of his death that we did have was from Flavia who was likely too busy running from Walhart to truly confirm that Basilio was indeed dead. As for Walhart, himself, he probably didn’t care enough to check the body so in that way fair enough. Basilio being alive is fine. And the general plan they used to fool Validar makes enough sense. Basically what they did is that the gemstones in the Emblem are fake not the Emblem itself. They had Basilio switch them out before the confrontation. The plan itself makes sense it’s just the way they explained it is really bad. It’s like one of those gatcha fake out moments you see in a lot of shounen anime. Where the whole plan happens and it’s all explained after the fact but the issue here is that they don’t explain it with enough detail so the player is just left kinda confused. If you want a good example of how to do this properly go play persona 5 or go watch/read Naruto(or any shounen manga really). The plan itself is fine. I just don’t think they explained it very well.

Edited by Ottservia

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

Personally that’s the one part of awakening’s story that I think required a bit more explanation by the writers. Basilio being alive the whole time makes sense because well we never saw him die so to speak. The only confirmation of his death that we did have was from Flavia who was likely too busy running from Walhart to truly confirm that Basilio was indeed dead. As for Walhart, himself, he probably didn’t care enough to check the body so in that way fair enough. Basilio being alive. And the general plan they used to fool Validar makes enough sense. Basically what they did is that the gemstones in the Emblem are fake not the Emblem itself. They had Basilio switch them out before the confrontation. The plan itself makes sense it’s just the way they explained it is really bad. It’s like one of those gatcha fake out moments you see in a lot of shounen anime. Where the whole plan happens and it’s all explained after the fact but the issue here is that they don’t explain it with enough so the player is just left kinda confused. If you want a good example of how to do this properly go play persona 5 or go watch/read Naruto(or any shounen manga really). The plan itself is fine. I just don’t think they explained it very well.

The plan itself isn’t the problem, I was just confused because Robin steals the Fire Emblem in like 5 seconds from someone who we never knew had it to begin with. Although I forgot that it was just the gemstones, it still doesn’t make sense.

5 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Well chapter 24 was... incredibly easy. On to the spotpass characters, I suppose.

Save these for the "post-game". A few them require you to grind and if you do, it'll make endgame a joke.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Save these for the "post-game". A few them require you to grind and if you do, it'll make endgame a joke.

Even if most of my characters are like 20/15?

I mean I can’t get them til after 25 anyway...

Edited by Sooks1016

8 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

The plan itself isn’t the problem, I was just confused because Robin steals the Fire Emblem in like 5 seconds from someone who we never knew had it to begin with. Although I forgot that it was just the gemstones, it still doesn’t make sense.

Basically this is what happened. They put fake gemstones in the Emblem. The Emblem is then stolen by Validar through mind controlling Robin. They kill Validar at the dragon’s table and then Robin steals it back.

39 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Sharing music from my favorite game of all time to calm my nerves.

I getcha, few in this country won't be holding their breath today, into at least tomorrow.😬

Music shilling, as a form of therapy for those who don't partake of stronger substances, is a perfectly fine thing to do today. I'll offer up a composition on that note.: