• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Are we seriously going through every single playable character (except Priam lols) talking about how Robin isn’t gone, and for some how great he is? Isn’t that a little much?

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I think it's dynastic name, but I'm not sure. But then, the Protector General of the Western Protectorate used this chance to press a claim on a county. So now he has actual demesne on the map itself.

I think CK2 is referencing the Western Xia with that kingdom (sometimes also called the Tangut), as they are in about the right part of Tibet. The Western Xia were so thoroughly destroyed during the Mongol invasion that it is barely remembered. There is a famous quote about it: "There is a case to be made that this was the first ever recorded example of attempted genocide. It was certainly very successful ethnocide."

44 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Are we seriously going through every single playable character (except Priam lols) talking about how Robin isn’t gone, and for some how great he is? Isn’t that a little much?

They should have just had A/S support characters spew out those cringy lines, it would have worked a tiny bit better, and felt at least slightly earned...

Well that was... an experience. High highs and low lows... I’m not sure if I’ll ever play it again, but at least I got to experience Lucina one more fe title. The early game was so good... It kind of sucks how Lucina (and presumably all of Robin’s potential spouses if they’re married) was just relegated to being loved by Robin in their ending, like I wanted to know what she got up to. At least I beat it! Sacred Stones is next, although when I play it might vary... As far as fe goes I want to play Three Houses (for the 13th time) again for being a good game but I also want to replay Conquest because I’ve heard people say it’s peak fe game design and my memory isn’t the greatest (Fates was forgettable tbh), I want to see what that was about... beyond fe, I still have the 3D Mario collection, Sunshine and Galaxy probably will be games I actually want to complete. Hmmm...

10 minutes ago, Spara said:

That's Awakening for ya. Power of Friendship and whatnot.

Yep, and all the power of friendship stuff could have actually been done fantastically, imo. Actually, now that I’m done with Awakening, that’s really my opinion on the whole story: great ideas, but executed terribly.

7 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Well that was... an experience. High highs and low lows... I’m not sure if I’ll ever play it again, but at least I got to experience Lucina one more fe title. The early game was so good... It kind of sucks how Lucina (and presumably all of Robin’s potential spouses if they’re married) was just relegated to being loved by Robin in their ending, like I wanted to know what she got up to. At least I beat it! Sacred Stones is next, although when I play it might vary... As far as fe goes I want to play Three Houses (for the 13th time) again for being a good game but I also want to replay Conquest because I’ve heard people say it’s peak fe game design and my memory isn’t the greatest (Fates was forgettable tbh), I want to see what that was about... beyond fe, I still have the 3D Mario collection, Sunshine and Galaxy probably will be games I actually want to complete. Hmmm...

Yep, and all the power of friendship stuff could have actually been done fantastically, imo. Actually, now that I’m done with Awakening, that’s really my opinion on the whole story: great ideas, but executed terribly.

Agreed. There's a reason why my opinion of it has changed quite a bit over time. It just isn't anywhere near as good a game as most of the other titles in the series.

27 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I think CK2 is referencing the Western Xia with that kingdom (sometimes also called the Tangut), as they are in about the right part of Tibet. The Western Xia were so thoroughly destroyed during the Mongol invasion that it is barely remembered. There is a famous quote about it: "There is a case to be made that this was the first ever recorded example of attempted genocide. It was certainly very successful ethnocide."

Ah, okay. I should've checked the de jure setups more closely, then. Depending on certain things, realms instead are named after the current ruling dynasty. But I guess that's not the case over there.

5 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Funnily enough that’s my opinion of 3H’s story

Ey, same! Well, so far at least. I still haven't finished VW... or started any of the other routes. But still. I have no idea what's going on, at all.

Speaking of, am I SUPPOSED to have a good idea of what is going on? '

19 minutes ago, Benice said:

Ey, same! Well, so far at least. I still haven't finished VW... or started any of the other routes. But still. I have no idea what's going on, at all.

I played all 4 routes and I still barely have a clue as to what’s happening. Three houses just seems to have a fetish for bringing up plot points only to never deliver on them.

Also since we’re talking about awakening’s story I did analysis of it a while back. So check it out if you’re interested. I’m always up for a good discussion on this subject.

https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/topic/87434-a-story-about-overcoming-the-past-an-analysis-of-awakenings-story/

26 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Funnily enough that’s my opinion of 3H’s story

*flame wars intensify* xD I can sort of agree with that, actually. Sort of.

20 minutes ago, Benice said:

Well what are you having trouble understanding, specifically? I mean vaguely you should know what’s going on, yeah...

Just now, Ottservia said:

Also since we’re talking about awakening’s story I did analysis of it a while back. So check it out if you’re interested. I’m always up for a good discussion on this subject.

I should probably finish Awakening first, but I'll check it out later!

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

I played all 4 routes and I still barely have a clue as to what’s happening.

Well, I've barely read the supports because of how many there are, so I figured that supports may have been part of it.

1 minute ago, Sooks1016 said:

Well what are you having trouble understanding, specifically? I mean vaguely you should know what’s going on, yeah...

Well, I finished the Bridge of Elphin chapter, and my biggest question is:

"The heck we doing?"

7 minutes ago, Benice said:

Well, I finished the Bridge of Elphin chapter, and my biggest question is:

"The heck we doing?"

Fighting a war... that’s really all you’re doing, you’re taking a big bridge occupied by the enemy because it’s a strategic location.

Edited by Sooks1016

8 minutes ago, Benice said:

Well, I've barely read the supports because of how many there are, so I figured that supports may have been part of it.

The story? Nah, they just help with characters. Just because there are a lot of them doesn’t mean you shouldn’t read/watch aNy of them, at least imho.

1 minute ago, Sooks1016 said:

Fighting a war... that’s really all you’re doing, you’re taking a big bridge occupied by the enemy because it’s a strategic location.

...And then we leave it? 'Cause everyone is talking about "Oh man, we're at the point of no return nao" And I'm like, "Wait, haven't we just defended Garreg mach twice then gone to a bridge?" I don't understand what we're supposed to be doing next.

3 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

The story? Nah, they just help with characters. Just because there are a lot of them doesn’t mean you shouldn’t read/watch aNy of them, at least imho.

I just find them so overwhelming... They're all quite long, and there are just so many. Every time I look at the support screen I just kinda panic. I don't even know where to start.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

...And then we leave it? 'Cause everyone is talking about "Oh man, we're at the point of no return nao" And I'm like, "Wait, haven't we just defended Garreg mach twice then gone to a bridge?" I don't understand what we're supposed to be doing next.

Well, you took the bridge because it’s the quickest safe way into Empire territory for an army, so if you’re an army fighting the empire, and you’re capturing a location for ease of access to the empire, then...

Also as far as going back to the monastery is concerned, I think that’s just the head people (Byleth and Claude (and it’s implied that all of the names characters you can deploy are made generals) to plan and stuff while some troops remain there. I think. It’s not super obvious tbh, and I have wondered that as well xD

6 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Okay that explains what’s happening plot wise but doesn’t seem to have any themat significance nor does it really build to anything thematically relevant so what was the point of that chapter again?

1 minute ago, Benice said:

I just find them so overwhelming... They're all quite long, and there are just so many. Every time I look at the support screen I just kinda panic. I don't even know where to start.

You can watch some and then take a break and watch some later. There’s no need to rush.

1 hour ago, Sooks1016 said:

One common story criticism is that Valm didn't belong. For a direct sequel to Awakening, Valm would be good, but as is, it detracts from where the main focus should be, somewhere on the Ylissean continent building up the stuff to the Grimleal and Grima.

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

what you are telling me with is that i should never touch Xenogears

Let me ask you this.:

latest?cb=20120613103118

Any gut reactions due to their appearance? If so, do not touch Luminous Arc 2. Their name starts with "R" too,

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

One common story criticism is that Valm didn't belong. For a direct sequel to Awakening, Valm would be good, but as is, it detracts from where the main focus should be, somewhere on the Ylissean continent building up the stuff to the Grimleal and Grima.

Ehhh. The Valm arc is thematically relevant at least cause Walhart acts as a fantastic foil to Chrom’s character and builds off where his arc left off after the previous story arc. I feel like if you were to cut out the Valm arc the story just wouldn’t work