Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

7 minutes ago, Benice said:

Tchaikovsky is an evil man.

Last year, it was the 1812 overture.

Seven sharps and flats for almost the whole piece.

almost 200 bars, (3 minutes) with no rests at all

Tempo changes.

And now this!

SYNCOPATED ACCELERATING EIGHTH NOTES IN WHICH HE CHANGES THE PATTERN CONSTANTLY AND IT'S EVIL AND HE'S MEAN

EDIT: I just realized that you probably don't understand I thing I said, so TL;DR Tchaikovsky evil

Well, I got reminded of the people who face this:

When main damage dealing comes from chaining combos to the battle themes time signatures.

• Replies 176.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

53 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yes and no. Walhart is pretty good but the whole of Valm did kinda come out of nowhere and the lore behind it is barely non-existent. It did feel like IntSys needed a new plot because they killed off (no they didn't) Gangrel too early. There's some neat details but it's all buried.

I disagree, I feel like you’re kind of ignoring the ideas presented in the valm arc. Not all of them land sure but I find the story to be pretty good all things considered. Walhart is a better foil to Chrom than Gangrel was at least and he challenges Chrom’s character in unique and interesting ways. I just really like the foil relationship they have and I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s buried. 

55 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I will say that just like Grima, Valm is retroactively made better by Echoes. Because Valm as it was originally was basically just making shit up due to Gaiden basically not existing.

I am honestly so tired of hearing this. How the hell does Grima’s backstory from make him “better”? I don’t understand this mentality. His backstory is really cool and I like it but all it really does is just kind of reaffirm what we already know about him. He’s an evil dragon hellbent on destroying humanity because they suck. His backstory doesn’t add anything to that. It doesn’t make him sympathetic. It doesn’t give him a complex reason to hate humans. It just tells us how he came into existence to better fit him into the world building which is fine but it doesn’t make him any better of a villain than he already was. Nothing about our understanding of his character really changes with or without his backstory. He just better fits into the lore now. Grima as a villain never really needed a backstory to begin with. The only reason he did need one was because his mere existence didn’t make sense in the context of Archanea’s established lore. Other than that, he works as a villain just fine without one and if you want me to explain why I can but be prepared for a very long essay.

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I am honestly so tired of hearing this. How the hell does Grima’s backstory from make him “better”? I don’t understand this mentality. His backstory is really cool and I like it but all it really does is just kind of reaffirm what we already know about him. He’s an evil dragon hellbent on destroying humanity because they suck. His backstory doesn’t add anything to that. It doesn’t make him sympathetic. It doesn’t give him a complex reason to hate humans. It just tells us how he came into existence to better fit him into the world building which is fine but it doesn’t make him any better of a villain than he already was. Nothing about our understanding of his character really changes with or without his backstory. He just better fits into the lore now. Grima as a villain never really needed a backstory to begin with. The only reason he did need one was because his mere existence didn’t make sense in the context of Archanea’s established lore. Other than that, he works as a villain just fine without one and if you want me to explain why I can but be prepared for a very long essay.

Well, that is indeed something made better.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, that is indeed something made better.

But better fitting him into the lore doesn’t improve him as a villain. It just better fits him into the lore nothing more than that. Grima kinda already worked as a villain without the backstory. Having a backstory doesn’t automatically make him a better villain is what I’m trying to say.

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Aight this is a take. As long as it's written well, i'm fine with character interacting with basically anybody. I don't really think there needs to be a reason for a character to Support another. It also feels really weird to be saying this in the context of Three Houses because you're basically asking "but why do these character who are literally assigned to the same classroom able to talk to each other". At least that's my impression of this take.

I don't entirely disagree-A lot of good supports do make little sense in terms of "Why" the characters have a support-Taking Sigrun/Oscar, for example. There is no reason for them to have a support, but it's a good one. (YES I SAID A GOOD THING ABOUT FE9 ARE YOU PROUD OF ME)

However, when a majority are like that, it means that not all of them will land. Like, Hilda/Ferdinand, Hilda/Caspar, Hilda/Seteth, Hilda/Mercedes, and more all make little sense as to why they have a support. Not everyone needs to support with everyone, even within their own class. The monastery could be used to develop side plots with different character interactions without needing supports and have more inter-character interactions. Using Hilda again, I feel that her supports could have been

• Cyril
  • Claude
  • Two other Golden Deer
  • Sylvain
  • One black Eagle

And not much would have been lost.

That said, this is just my opinion. I simply don't enjoy the amount of supports there are, but other people will, and that's fine. They're skippable if I don't want to read them, and they're there if I am.

Just now, Ottservia said:

But better fitting him into the lore doesn’t improve him as a villain. It just better fits him into the lore nothing more than that. Grima kinda already worked as a villain without the backstory. Having a backstory doesn’t automatically make him a better villain is what I’m trying to say.

He just said better. Never specified better how. So your example falls within his parameters, even if it's not the one you're thinking of.

19 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

When main damage dealing comes from chaining combos to the battle themes time signatures.

OOF

7 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

It doesn't make him worse either, and while not making them less bad=/= more good, fleshing out a character is an improvement.

10 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I think you looked a bit too deep into this, i should've clarified. Grima served his purpose in Awakening and he's arguably the best "final boss is a dragon" in a Fire Emblem game (not that this is hard to do) but when i meant "better" i meant they added more to it. Adding more to something isn't a bad thing........well, it can be but not in this case. I just think the Thabes lore is neat and Grima being an abomination makes his title of the "Fell Dragon" hit harder imo. I like seeing additional details added into something even if it doesn't change much in the long run. 

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

Not everyone needs to support with everyone

Oh i agree with this, my point was moreso that characters don't really need a reason to interact with another. I'm fine with limiting the quantity of Supports (but please no cap limit) but bringing up Faye as an example, i'd like to avoid scenarios where a character should be able to support with another but can't. So until Support Convos get a major rework (Xeno bias has me thinking something along the lines of Heart-to-Hearts would work way better), i'll accept the quantity for now if it means getting less "why can't this character support with this other one".

1 minute ago, Benice said:

It doesn't make him worse either, and while not making them less bad=/= more good, fleshing out a character is an improvement.

I never said I didn’t like the added lore in fact it’s one of the few things I’ll praise about SoV. Grima is my favorite villain in the series so giving him more lore is always a plus in my eyes.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I think you looked a bit too deep into this, i should've clarified. Grima served his purpose in Awakening and he's arguably the best "final boss is a dragon" in a Fire Emblem game (not that this is hard to do) but when i meant "better" i meant they added more to it. Adding more to something isn't a bad thing........well, it can be but not in this case. I just think the Thabes lore is neat and Grima being an abomination makes his title of the "Fell Dragon" hit harder imo. I like seeing additional details added into something even if it doesn't change much in the long run. 

Oh if that’s the case then I apologize and I definitely agree. like I said to Benice just now I never said I disliked the backstory. I actually think it’s really cool and adding more lore to my favorite Fire Emblem villain is always a good thing in my books.

It’s just that all too often I hear the argument that Grima wasn’t a good villain until he got that backstory which is something I can’t agree with. Again apologies, I just kind of assumed 

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So, what's your thought on that 71907/40120 time signature?

0/10 less evil than Tchaikovsky.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So until Support Convos get a major rework (Xeno bias has me thinking something along the lines of Heart-to-Hearts would work way better),

ngl I'd rather have Berwick's story-related events for character development, that way the subplots can run alongside the main plot rather than away from it, and have more passive supports, supplemented by a few traditional support convos.

Maybe that's what Heart-To-Hearts are? I don't really know. Sorry.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

0/10 less evil than Tchaikovsky.

Eh, that's fair. It is just a video game track, which is used in a mechanic. Well, a boss theme, but still.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Eh, that's fair. It is just a video game track, which is used in a mechanic. Well, a boss theme, but still.

Seriously though that one may be even worse. It is super repetitive, so it could be manageable with practice.

Part of the reason that the one I posted earlier is hard, (at least for me) is because of how the patterns are broken up while the piece is accelerating. That throws a bit of a wrench into the rhythms.

28 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Oh if that’s the case then I apologize and I definitely agree. like I said to Benice just now I never said I disliked the backstory. I actually think it’s really cool and adding more lore to my favorite Fire Emblem villain is always a good thing in my books.

It’s just that all too often I hear the argument that Grima wasn’t a good villain until he got that backstory which is something I can’t agree with. Again apologies, I just kind of assumed 

It's fine. Like i said, i should've clarified.

23 minutes ago, Benice said:

ngl I'd rather have Berwick's story-related events for character development, that way the subplots can run alongside the main plot rather than away from it, and have more passive supports, supplemented by a few traditional support convos.

As long as characters don't have any extra steps for recruitment.

23 minutes ago, Benice said:

Maybe that's what Heart-To-Hearts are? I don't really know. Sorry.

Heart-to-Hearts in Xenoblade are usually one character having a conversation with another, and it can either be about something that happened in the story or where they are in the world. So while they aren't exactly story-related events, a good chunk of Heart-to-Hearts aren't viewable until you clear certain parts of the story (and in Xenoblade 1 and X, Heart-to-Hearts also required certain Affinity levels, this was done away with in Xenoblade 2 for the most part, likely because raising Affinity generally takes a while). A lot of them also tend to have branching dialogue options so depending on what you pick, you'll hear different things. Xenoblade 2 took it to the next step by allowing multiple characters to share a Heart-to-Heart at the same time (Heart-to-Hearts in Xenoblade 1 and X never had more than two characters present at a time). I'll leave an example here.

Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 also have Affinity Missions and Blade Quests respectively. These are essentially character side stories you can play to further interactions and development. And then Torna ~ The Golden Country tends to have the entire party participate in regular quests, which achieves similar results to what i just mentioned.

Of course, Xenoblade isn't an SRPG so it's structure for character development outside of the main story is not the same as in an SRPG. But if we boil it down, what i'm basically suggesting is that FE Support Convos feature more than two characters at a time.

Edited by Armagon

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

As long as characters don't have any extra steps for recruitment

Eh, I don't expect the next FE to ressemble Berwick Saga in any way.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Of course, Xenoblade isn't an SRPG so it's structure for character development outside of the main story is not the same as in an SRPG. But if we boil it down, what i'm basically suggesting is that FE Support Convos feature more than two characters at a time.

Yeah, that'd be neat.

I do hope the next FE does something interesting with Paralogue and character arcs running alongside the main plot. One of the things I really did like about Berwick was how the character arcs were steeped in the actual story and usually coincided with the other events.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

@Saint Rubenio quick question on Project Ember, is the Support cap still five? I know Support gains are way faster in this hack but i wonder if the Support cap was taken off.

Support cap is still there as far as I know. Would be too OP if it wasn't.

23 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Also, I know I'm kind of late to that party, but loving the new signature, @Saint Rubenio.

Thanks! That beast of a unit deserved some form of recognition. I imagine those two will stay for a long time. It would be difficult to beat that Yubello, and Matthis looking a FE12 unit in FE11 is badass in its own way.

Happy Weekend!

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Agreed, FE never used traditional wizard/witch's caps before Awakening, and they don't exactly look good here. We did have Merric's and Lewyn's weird hats, but thats about it, FE usually kept its mages uncapped.

When did Lewyn wear a hat?

Can't remember pictures of that.

Now it looks very good for Biden in Georgia. If he wins it, he only needs one more elector to have the required 270. This should happen in Arizona. It's not the question that he will win, its just the question when and especially HOW he will become president. This will have an aftermath, and I hope not at cost of people's harm.

Edited by Kasumi Yoshizawa

8 minutes ago, Kasumi Yoshizawa said:

When did Lewyn wear a hat?

Can't remember pictures of that.

He's wearing a headband, can confirm across multiple art pieces. It's just large enough that you could see it as a hat. Even in his Heroes art it's a headband. (Edit: For some reason it's sometimes used as a scarf.)

Merric's hat has shown up before for wizardry, but no the wide-brimmed hat we associate with Witches didn't show up before Awakening. And now it's been in all but SoV. I know the hat doesn't annoy me as much (I seem to usually have a pretty high tolerance for art), but still.

Edited by Dayni

Oh, I took the word hat too literally then.

Yeah, I'm aware of him being a hairband which looks gorgeous btw.

Wished more people, especially guys, would wear this kind of accessoire.

Merric looking like a wizard is way more authentic than the FE13 mages looking like a garden gnome.

Anyways time to continue the tragedy of Rean's return...

Edited by Kasumi Yoshizawa

5 hours ago, Benice said:

Taking Sigrun/Oscar, for example. There is no reason for them to have a support, but it's a good one. (YES I SAID A GOOD THING ABOUT FE9 ARE YOU PROUD OF ME)

Yes. Great to hear you young whippersnappers appreciating a good game. GVizG9t.png

---------

tenor.gif

Everyone. *waves*

6 hours ago, Benice said:

EDIT: I just realized that you probably don't understand I thing I said, so TL;DR Tchaikovsky evil

I wish I understood the technical terms of what you said. Though the gist of it I see is "play really fast, leaping all over the place, and for a really long time". Good for you that you're able to keep up with it at all, I have reflexes that would make a dead cat look agile.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Greetings from a technical difficulties-induced break from the linguistics class I'm in.

So, WiFi issues in the era of Covid? Or did the professor bite their tongue trying to pronounce words from a particular theoretical construction of Common Brittonic, or attempting one of those click languages of southern Africa?

...What does being educated in linguistics involve?🤔

1 hour ago, Kasumi Yoshizawa said:

Merric looking like a wizard is way more authentic than the FE13 mages looking like a garden gnome.

I can't agree, Merric's hat's more like a garden gnome's.

I can't think of any which had a brim :P