Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

If only wine wasn't such a shitshow... If only...

F

Wine doesn't work on Mac anymore either. Catalina phased out 32 bit apps, and I was never able to get the supposed 64 bit version of Winebottler to work.

Too complicated and tedious to deal with even if it would work.

• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

13 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

If only wine wasn't such a shitshow... If only...

I remember when it was actually useable. Certainly made trying to patch with xdelta actually plausible...

I'm probably going to install a windows install on the old laptop, tried a virtualbox of Windows 7 and it was disastrous, I couldn't get sound to really work.

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

So uh... I don't feel entirely confortable with the shameless shilling, but I've released the thing I made in SRPG studio. It has 4 chapters, and it's not the most impressive game in existence, but hey, I made it, so I'm proud enough of it. If anyone's looking for a way to kill an hour or two, I'd appreciate some feedback.

>Notices a certain archer.

I've my eye on you.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

I'm probably going to install a windows install on the old laptop,

Yeah, Mac Boot Camp is the only way I've been able to get Windows to work. And even that's been inconsistent before.

6 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

F

Wine doesn't work on Mac anymore either. Catalina phased out 32 bit apps, and I was never able to get the supposed 64 bit version of Winebottler to work.

Too complicated and tedious to deal with even if it would work.

Yep, indeed.
I tried wine several times by now, and it never worked as it should have.
Thing felt like a virus, too, in that it was so damn hard to get rid of. And those are the kinds of programs I really do not trust. Hence why I stayed away from it on my current system.

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I remember when it was actually useable. Certainly made trying to patch with xdelta actually plausible...

I'm probably going to install a windows install on the old laptop, tried a virtualbox of Windows 7 and it was disastrous, I couldn't get sound to really work.

Gaming in a virtual machine is a disaster anyhow. I tried running the Fate/Stay Night VN on my XP Virtual Machine.
Tried.

So yeah, I'mma have to stay away from that stuff, sadly.

---

Speaking of, the 32 bit stuff not being supported was also what broke the PS2 emulator on my OS.
I had to install an entirely new architecture that does do that... which ended up amounting to nothing, because of a lack of games and me not trusting the thing to actually run smoothly.
Luckily, removing this stuff was pretty easy.

Edited by DragonFlames

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Gaming in a virtual machine is a disaster anyhow. I tried running the Fate/Stay Night VN on my XP Virtual Machine.
Tried.

So yeah, I'mma have to stay away from that stuff, sadly.

I wasn't even using it as a gaming VM, I was trying to get lecture files. I struggled to get sound.

(Also, PCSX2 is a great PS2 emulator from what I've seen, Berwick ran like a dream but you'll need a Japanese BIOS which should be fine to get, I can say which one I used for this and Tearring if you need it)

18 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I wasn't even using it as a gaming VM, I was trying to get lecture files. I struggled to get sound.

Ouch.

I mainly use mine to create PDFs from scanning, because for whatever reason, Linux-made PDFs are gigantic in comparison.

I appreciate Linux for how fast it is compared to many Windows OS' I've used, but sometimes, the jank is real.

18 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Berwick ran like a dream but you'll need a Japanese BIOS which should be fine to get, I can say which one I used for this and Tearring if you need it

Thanks for the offer, but I'm good.
I'm not planning on playing either of those games any time soon, because I discovered that Kaga and I have very different understandings of the word "fun" through attempting to play FE4 and 5 and dropping both, one due to sheer boredom, the other through pure frustration.
tbh, my interest in Berwick was killed when Shrimpy said it reminded him of Fates Conquest. That triggered some PTSD, and I would rather not have to go through that again.

Edited by DragonFlames

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I'm not planning on playing either of those games any time soon, because I discovered that Kaga and I have very different understandings of the word "fun" through attempting to play FE4 and 5 and dropping both, one due to sheer boredom, the other through pure frustration.

tbf, my interest in Berwick was killed when Shrimpy said it reminded him of Fates Conquest. That triggered some PTSD, and I would rather not have to go through that again.

Not every game is for everyone, theres nothing wrong with walking away from Hell! Xd

Joking aside: it's honestly okay that you dont want to. Sticking with what makes you comfortable is sensible enough to me, anyways.

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Oh sweet. Yeah, i was thinking something along the lines like this. Although depending on how it's done, i'd like for the win condition to fight back instead of just sitting there waiting to be destroyed. 

*Thinks for a minute* This might be somewhat closer to that:

(AW1)_Olaf's_Navy!_(fogless)_NC.png

Note- This map has FoW. It has been stripped away here to show all enemy positions.

You're given two options for victory here, either you.:

• Capture the enemy's base in the upper right, which as you can see is very lightly defended.
  • Or, you win by rout, which means having to destroy that sizable navy. You could otherwise safely ignore the navy by going over the northern bridge b/c pre-Days of Ruin naval units can't pass under bridges. That you can rout this map with only a Sub and a Battleship against quadruple that says how stupid the AW1 AI is.

A rout victory unlocks a secret battle, so you're technically encouraged to do so. Though the final battle of the campaign is actually easier if you skip it.

This AW2 map entered my mind as an idea FE could maybe try.:

Nature_Walk_AW2.png

As you see, you start all the way at the bottom of the map, with the enemy sitting near your HQ. Victory is achieved by placing any of your units on the HQ, so it's like a seize/arrive. However, there are some enemy Infantry and Mechs hiding the fog too, so if you don't move fast enough and destroy each of those that you see, eventually one of them will get to your HQ before you do and capture it, game over. So it's a seize and defend point at the same time, albeit with a narrow group of enemies that could trigger the game over.

54 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Btw, did you notice a certain support Bonus and what it references?

I'm afraid I don't see it. I'm pretty terrible at getting references as a norm. Would you mind telling me what it is?

24 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Thanks for the offer, but I'm good.
tbh, my interest in Berwick was killed when Shrimpy said it reminded him of Fates Conquest. That triggered some PTSD, and I would rather not have to go through that again.

It is perfectly all right to be completely and utterly wrong.

Nah but really, that's fine, it's understandable. As I always say, Berwick is not comparable to the rest of Kaga's work, but I understand your reservations. And, well, I haven't played Conquest, so I can't say anything about that.

52 minutes ago, Dayni said:

>Notices a certain archer.

I've my eye on you.

And you didn't notice the game's protagonist?

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And, well, I haven't played Conquest, so I can't say anything about that.

Neither have I, but the cast of characters and story are enough to keep me far, far away.

Yet I unironically like Birthright, so...

6 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Neither have I, but the cast of characters and story are enough to keep me far, far away.

Yet I unironically like Birthright, so...

Honestly I feel like you shouldn’t really have a strong opinion on any game unless you’ve played it yourself but that’s just me.

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Honestly I feel like you shouldn’t really have a strong opinion on any game unless you’ve played it yourself but that’s just me.

I've seen enough of them in Birthright, Revelations, and in supports I've read to know that I wouldn't enjoy playing the Nohrian side of it.

19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It is perfectly all right to be completely and utterly wrong.

That's me in a nutshell. ^^

19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And, well, I haven't played Conquest, so I can't say anything about that.

I know this differs from person to person, but to me, Conquest was the most soulcrushing and frustrating experiences I ever had with a game.
Take that as you will, but I nearly quit Fire Emblem because of it.

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I feel like not wanting to play a game because you've heard things about it that make you not want to do so is a perfectly valid opinion to have.
Gaming is expensive, after all (well, not if you're emulating, but you get the point).

35 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm afraid I don't see it. I'm pretty terrible at getting references as a norm. Would you mind telling me what it is?

100 crit support from Thief -> Lord xD

@twilitfalchion The best way to enjoy Conquest, and the indisputable  best gameplay series wide imo is to just press start between maps^^

Edited by Shrimperor

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

The computer program, called Wine, which lets users of Mac and Linux use Windows programs on on their respective OS's.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

OH.

Oh...

Heheh...

I knew that...

50 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And you didn't notice the game's protagonist?

Not as much at the time (I literally went "Oh neat, eyepatch"), also I had a longer look at the archer on looking at the dialogue.

Also we hadn't seen Elaine in combat so I didn't have that to associate the two either.

35 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I've seen enough of them in Birthright, Revelations, and in supports I've read to know that I wouldn't enjoy playing the Nohrian side of it.

But chapter tennnnn

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

But chapter tennnnn

But chapters 17-21

But but Chapters 22-25

But but but chapter 26 and 28

Conquest cast wise ain't all that great, barring Elise the best I do is tolerate them myself. That doesn't mean that it isn't a solid gameplay experience even on Normal.

(But at this point see if you can find it cheap, you probably should still be able to)

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

Difficulty wise or because you get something else out of it?

Well Ch.8 at least has Oiger, Gwendolyn and the other guy spawn on turn one with two green units and the tips file that came with the patch said that while it's possible to get them out of their situation without promoting either of the two armors, you'll have a better time if you promote one of them.

But you also have things like Dieck joining at Lv.10 with a Hero's Crest and Saul joining at Lv.10 with a Guiding Ring. Debias also comes with a Knight's Crest if you recruit him. You don't have to promote these right away of course but if you're me and you have a Lv.10 unit with a promotion item ready, I am absolutely using it that instant. I did it with Dieck, I did it with Roy after I traded over Debias' Knight Crest to him.

But anyway, idk about the whole game but Ch.8 at least encourages early promotion.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Honestly, the main reason i added them was the flier (That is very strong) and more importantly, to meme Kaga, since he spams his maps with Ballistas (which is usually very annoying).

Speaking of the Flier, I think having the ability to auto-dance itself is too broken haha. Don't know if that's just how SRPG studio works or if you can change it.

Also was James supposed to be recruitable or not? Cause idk, he felt important.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

So uh... I don't feel entirely confortable with the shameless shilling, but I've released the thing I made in SRPG studio. It has 4 chapters, and it's not the most impressive game in existence, but hey, I made it, so I'm proud enough of it. If anyone's looking for a way to kill an hour or two, I'd appreciate some feedback.

I'll check it out when I'm able to.

don't know, I didn't feel it encourages early promotion much more than other FEs. And I'm playing Maniac!

Ch.8 at least does. It's right in the tips.

Anyway, yeah, Project Ember is pretty cool. Speaking of Lilina, did you know? She has a special promotion!

Yep. 

Promotions in general seem more balanced, that is to say, there's a lot more items to go around. At least that's what it feels like. So far, my promoted squad is (no pre-promotes):

Roy

Dieck

Rutger

Normal FE6 would only have Dieck as my first promote at this point in the game.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

(Also, PCSX2 is a great PS2 emulator from what I've seen,

Only if you have a good PC. Way before I had my current PC, I tried running PCSX2 to play Xenosaga for the first time. I couldn't.

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

While I agree, gaming can be expensive and there's also just some games you know you wouldn't enjoy.

Like, I don't need to play Animal Crossing to know I'd fall asleep in the first 10 minutes.

18 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

👌 maps. 

It'd be better if you could save in between Ch.27 and 28.