Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

That said, one thing I'm glad of is that we got faithful and uncut dubs of the Digimon series (except for character and Digimon names, we got the American ones despite everything else being from the Japanese original... for some reason). Unfortunately, we got the patchwork of a movie the US did instead of just the three movies on their own. And I think at some point we switched to just dubbing the American dubs, unfortunately. Still, faithful dubbing for the first four or so series.

Same situation for us in Germany, interestingly enough.
To the point where we got German versions of the Japanese songs. Which worked wonders.

The fifth season was faithfully dubbed after the Japanese original... to the point they got an old lady to voice Dukemon (or Gallantmon, in Tamers), to match Masako Nozawa's portrayal.
They dubbed the American stuff for Xros Wars, though... which is very disappointing. I was looking forward to a German version of We are Xros Heart!.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Though even here the great battle of Pokémon vs Digimon still was won by Pokémon. As it were of the 1990's.

I have and will always prefer Digimon.
Pokémon doesn't even have the better games anymore now that Cyber Sleuth exists.

• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

To the point where we got German versions of the Japanese songs. Which worked wonders.

Conan, One Piece and Digimon german OPs were 👌 amongs others

I always tried to dance like this

A few years later i listened to jp ops, i was surprised how faithful german ones were

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Conan, One Piece and Digimon german OPs were 👌 amongs others

Ah, more nostalgia!
And yeah, the songs were amazing!

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I always tried to dance like this

Nice!

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

A few years later i listened to jp ops, i was surprised how faithful german ones were

Same here! I was amazed by it.

German dubs, especially for Digimon, were really, really good.
To the point where I like the German dub for Digimon Tamers more than the Japanese one.

Just now, DragonFlames said:

The fifth season was faithfully dubbed after the Japanese original... to the point they got an old lady to voice Dukemon (or Gallantmon, in Tamers), to match Masako Nozawa's portrayal.
They dubbed the American stuff for Xros Wars, though... which is very disappointing. I was looking forward to a German version of We are Xros Heart!.

I have and will always prefer Digimon.
Pokémon doesn't even have the better games anymore now that Cyber Sleuth exists.

I see. Neat.

Yeah, that's about disappointing when it happens, haha. Over here we also just dub Amercian dubs for the most part. Though we do have a considerable amount of stuff, like anime, that we dub straight from the source. Though even then, like in Digimon, we have this strange habit of using American names despite sticking to the source for the rest. Another example I can think of is our Sailor Moon dub. Like Digimon, it's faithful to the Japanese script and uncut for the most part (and yes, that included Sailors Uranus and Neptune's relationship)... but it's American names all around. It's weird, to be honest, haha.

Oh, yes. I want to try out the Cyber Sleuth games. Also, the upcoming Survive.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yeah, that's about disappointing when it happens, haha. Over here we also just dub Amercian dubs for the most part. Though we do have a considerable amount of stuff, like anime, that we dub straight from the source. Though even then, like in Digimon, we have this strange habit of using American names despite sticking to the source for the rest. Another example I can think of is our Sailor Moon dub. Like Digimon, it's faithful to the Japanese script and uncut for the most part (and yes, that included Sailors Uranus and Neptune's relationship)... but it's American names all around. It's weird, to be honest, haha.

I never really watched Sailor Moon, so I can't comment on what it was like over here, but I think I read somewhere that it has to do with licensing and copyright.
I am not really sure how that works, though.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, yes. I want to try out the Cyber Sleuth games.

They're really good, I think!
Although the story in the second game is slightly worse than the first in my opinion.
If/when you get a Switch, there is a bundle that includes both games on there.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Also, the upcoming Survive.

Yeah! This is one of the games I'm really looking forward to.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

''german''

*cry-laughs in Naruto season one OP*

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Before RTL2 went full Assi TV

Yep.

I never really watched Sailor Moon

But you atleast watchen Jeanne Kamikaze Kaito, right? right? I wasn't alone, right? xD

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Bundle is also on steam!

*cry-laughs in Naruto season one OP*

Oh gooooooood HAHAHAHAHA

xD

They're really good, I think!
Although the story in the second game is slightly worse than the first in my opinion.

The bundle is also on Steam. Might be better specially on a sale.

Yeah! This is one of the games I'm really looking forward to.

It looks so good on paper. A reimagining of Adventure with SRPG gameplay? Sign me up!

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I never really watched Sailor Moon, so I can't comment on what it was like over here, but I think I read somewhere that it has to do with licensing and copyright.
I am not really sure how that works, though.

Over here I can only think about familiarity. Since we would still get the dubs after the US did, so some people might be already used to having watched or just heard about the series from the American dub. Though who knows, really.

---

I see Shaman King...

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

It's weirdly windy inside today.

But it doesn't feel like it's coming from the open door.

This chill raps upon the door of my soul, asking with brusqueness for purchase, seeking a solace I do not know I can give, refuge I do not know I can spare. It whispers words that both discomfort and encourage, feeding fuel to that flame inside. The words start to stir in me an excitement I had not felt in some time. Such promises it makes!

It is only a question of if I let that chill inside the door.

I turn the door handle.

I...am martyred...remember this...because upon my feasting day...as a Saint...I will only bring...intercession to the righteous...

Edited by Wraith

My impression was that they used to simply not care all that much back in the day, they were probably stuck in the attitude that all animation is the same. So their old dubs were, while unimpressive, mostly faithful. But once they feared their programming might come under scrutiny, they overcompensated.

That generally seems to be the trend with anime dub history: It's stars with cheap but faithful dubs and then evolves into heavily sanitized dubs that try way too hard to be cool. Or should I say "Mondo" cool:

Edited by BrightBow

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Digimon? Puh-lease! Real monster collectathon died with DemiKids.:

Screen-Shot-2020-11-17-at-1-49-19-PM.png

What were you thinking Atlus? There was no friggin way you could compete you small nobody.

Didn’t they make Persona? Or something?

14 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

''german''

I can’t understand those lyrics, as great as they sound.

What deep meanings they hold, propelled by the quality art and animation I will never know.

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I...am martyred...remember this...because upon my feasting day...as a Saint...I will only bring...intercession for the righteous...

Hey I think ducks are pretty cool.

wtf is Mondo cool xD

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I can’t understand those lyrics, as great as they sound.

it's in english though

Look around you, look beyond,
You could make an unbreakable bond!
The world around you is not what it seems,
It's all revealed beyond your wildest dreams. 

So many things I never could see!
So many choices fallin? on me!
Could it be my destiny?
To be Shaman
Shaman King!
To be Shaman
Shaman King!
If your spirit is strong
You could be the one.

I can look at the world in a different light
I know what it takes to make it right
And I won't give up the fight
To be Shaman,
Shaman King!

Edited by Shrimperor

Also, is it just me or does any footage of the Funimation dub of DBZ look like it's drawn in water colors? Why do they always oversaturate the colors?

Anyway, for everyone who was fortunate enough to purge RTL2's Naruto opening from their memory:

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

it's in english though

That was the joke

Look around you, look beyond,
You could make an unbreakable bond!
The world around you is not what it seems,
It's all revealed beyond your wildest dreams. 

So many things I never could see!
So many choices fallin? on me!
Could it be my destiny?
To be Shaman
Shaman King!
To be Shaman
Shaman King!
If your spirit is strong
You could be the one.

I can look at the world in a different light
I know what it takes to make it right
And I won't give up the fight
To be Shaman,
Shaman King!

:twilitdeduestickerthing:

10 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

But you atleast watchen Jeanne Kamikaze Kaito, right? right? I wasn't alone, right? xD

So a series by that name did exist! And here I thought me remembering seeing a few episodes of this was just a dream.

Bundle is also on steam!

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The bundle is also on Steam. Might be better specially on a sale.

Oh, that really is better, then!
My bad, I didn't know!

Oh gooooooood HAHAHAHAHA

xD

XD
That thing was the first "meme" I ever knew about.

It looks so good on paper. A reimagining of Adventure with SRPG gameplay? Sign me up!

That really does sound pretty great!
Now I'm looking forward to it even more!

Over here I can only think about familiarity. Since we would still get the dubs after the US did, so some people might be already used to having watched or just heard about the series from the American dub. Though who knows, really.

That does sound like a possibility, at least!

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Anyway, for everyone who was fortunate enough to purge RTL2's Naruto opening from their memory:

You are cruel.
jk, jk

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

:twilitdeduestickerthing:

F haha

I just trolled myself didn't i xD

i must be tired

5 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Anyway, for everyone who was fortunate enough to purge RTL2's Naruto opening from their memory

you are evil xD

So a series by that name did exist! And here I thought me remembering seeing a few episodes of this was just a dream

So i take it you liked it so much you thought it was a dream? xD

Maybe the opening will refresh your mind xD

So i take it you liked it so much you thought it was a dream? xD

XD

Maybe the opening will refresh your mind xD

Oh yeah, I do know this!
I... can't honestly say I remember watching the entire series, though. But I do know I watched at least a few episodes, even though I'm hazy on the details.
It's been a while. XD

Tfw you’re not using any my castle stuff on conquest but you need the time to change literally once and when you open the game six hours later the time hasn’t changed.

Apparently changing the system time stops it for a while and I set my clock and hour behind because I noticed it was ahead.

Um... why IS?

Edited by Sooks