Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I mean, if your button mashing in a game like KH, most FF games, you wont see the "easy" success you think it will (highest difficulty available, ofc). Whereas most FE games its "run X broken unit in range and watch them do their thing." 

Hm. Fair point. I suppose at this point it's just my personal opinion that the typical RPG combat system is extremely boring blinding me. I really do not enjoy RPG combat. It's so uninteresting to me. Even the most boring FE is at least a bit more engaging than that to me. That's another thing that my favorite RPGs have in common, actually. They all spice up combat in some way or another.

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I'll say, fun though as turn-based combat may be to me for the most part... action RPGs generally have much, MUCH better boss fights to me. My favorite turn-based bosses can't hold a candle to my favorite ARPG bosses in terms of how much I enjoy fighting them (my top ten bosses right now have... maybe two from turn-based games in them right now, I think. I have trouble ranking things. xD).
I just feel like my actual skill is tested more with ARPG bosses compared to turn-based ones.

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I cant defend FFX grinding though, thats terrible. Xd

Yyyyep. XD

Especially because the reward for it is one of the most boring boss fights I have ever seen.
Damned Penance...
For as much as I enjoy FFX, the superbosses are not part of that. xD

Edited by DragonFlames

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I'll say, fun though as turn-based combat may be to me for the most part... action RPGs generally have much, MUCH better boss fights to me. My favorite turn-based bosses can't hold a candle to my favorite ARPG bosses in terms of how much I enjoy fighting them (my top ten bosses right now have... maybe two from turn-based games in them right now, I think. I have trouble ranking things. xD).
I just feel like my actual skill is tested more with ARPG bosses compared to turn-based ones.

Yyyyep. XD

Especially because the reward for it is one of the most boring boss fights I have ever seen.
Damned Penance...
For as much as I enjoy FFX, the superbosses are not part of that. xD

Well Meganep battles can be epic, and thats turn based!

Fighting Don Tonberry for 99 S levels gets tiresome after a while, tbh.

24 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

But im not really sure what this is supposed to mean.

My point being that calling enacting strategies in FE as being brain-dead, could be because knowledge and wisdom are readily transferable. Although, it is also fair to say that some, perhaps many or most, FEs do not demand extensive accumulation of knowledge and its intensive application as wisdom- the combination of which is what could be defined as "strategy". Some are very beatable with a bare minimum of either.

24 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

And luck should never be considered for difficulty, thats the poorly designed kind imo.

Well it shouldn't, but there are situations in games where it does spring up from time to time. A boss that rolls an RN for spamming its deadliest attack too often for instance.

53 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Dana is descended from dinosaurs.
Awesome! xD

A very slight shame you couldn't get into Xenoblade then. -Not that I'm trying to evangelize or anything at all. Just saying there are a bunch of slightly avian humanoids who happen to be descended from nebulously chimerical/draconic beasts in the first game. Although they aren't related to this.:

Spoiler

Sorry the vid is a little too dark to see everything.

The game just told me to stock up on supplies before continuing the story, so it seems to have learned. Time to go buy 5000 of everything.

NOOOO I can’t leave the town! But I have 593 time sepith, I am so close to an action 4 quartz… oh well.

Edited by Sooks

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Dang, this game.

enjoying yourself? xD

11 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I just feel like my actual skill is tested more with ARPG bosses compared to turn-based ones

yeah definetly

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well it shouldn't, but there are situations in games where it does spring up from time to time. A boss that rolls an RN for spamming its deadliest attack too often for instance.

That doesnt really make it fun, though. I am against it, personally, as a fan of KH extra bosses (except BBS mysterious enemy ofc)

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

enjoying yourself? xD

Remember Tita and Agate’s scene after you go to the mine in chapter 5?

Which is to say, yes, very much.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Well Meganep battles can be epic, and thats turn based!

Oh yeah, that's true!
I can't forget about those!

Though me saying I prefer ARPG fights in no way means I suddenly find turn-based ones bad, haha!

MegaNep fights, especially the Dark CPU ones, are some of the best in any JRPG that I've played. Definitely!

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Fighting Don Tonberry for 99 S levels gets tiresome after a while, tbh.

I used the cactuar for it, because the Tonberry method took way too long for me. XD

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A very slight shame you couldn't get into Xenoblade then.

I know! I'm still upset about it myself, haha!

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Just saying there are a bunch of slightly avian humanoids who happen to be descended from nebulously chimerical/draconic beasts in the first game.

Oooh, that does sound awesome!

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although they aren't related to this.:

Hide contents

Sorry the vid is a little too dark to see everything.

This is very awesome, too!
I like the monster designs here! Very striking! The darkness actually gives this scene an extra layer of primal-ness, for lack of a better word. I don't know how to express it, but watching this, I felt like I was watching nature take its course, so to speak.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

yeah definetly

That thought came to me when I was fighting my Honorary Second in Ys 8. I asked myself "would I enjoy this as a turn-based fight?". And my answer was "perhaps, but not as much as I do now." And that got me thinking about my favorite bosses, and... well, that was my conclusion, haha!

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The problem is that equipment kinda costs money. A shitton of money.

Oh yeah but that's a problem that tends to plague the genre in general.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What's with you guys's recommendations and the promise of games becoming good in X hours?

I think it comes from your philosophy towards games. You just don't have the patience. Don't mean this in a bad way I just mean that you prefer when games get right to the point basically immediately. Bloodstained clicked for you because of that but a game like CrossCode, which is more gradual, you have trouble getting into it.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Watching the numbers go up.

Unironically this is a genuine source of entertainment.

"Numbers go up" as the same energy as "Kaiju goes smash".

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

How much longer till the elemental whatever?

It's like the halfway point of the ice temple that you're in.

I'd be surprised if you didn't have it by now but then again, the dungeon took me a while too the first time cause I didn't understand the puzzles.

25 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

action RPGs generally have much, MUCH better boss fights to me. My favorite turn-based bosses can't hold a candle to my favorite ARPG bosses

It's cause ARPG bosses tend to be better designed imo.

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

wait, how is that possible?

I don't remember exactly how I did it, but it involved some weapon skills that double and triple the amount of overdrive you get, the overdrive skill Wrath, the weapon skill that converts overdrive into XP, and a LOT of phoenix downs.
And possibly a bit of luck, too, haha!

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

It's cause ARPG bosses tend to be better designed imo.

Generally speaking, that may be the case.
Though I do think it is also because of the inherent design of both "genres" of RPG.
I am not qualified enough to elaborate on what I mean in a way that makes sense, but one aspect I want to talk about is that I think, generally speaking, bosses in turn-based games have a tendency to veer into the territory of being "unfair" the harder they need to be, whereas action RPGs seem to have a bit of an easier time to create a challenge that does not rely on the boss having unfair advantages over the player.
But this is all just speculation on my part, haha

Just now, DragonFlames said:

I don't remember exactly how I did it, but it involved some weapon skills that double and triple the amount of overdrive you get, the overdrive skill Wrath, the weapon skill that converts overdrive into XP, and a LOT of phoenix downs.
And possibly a bit of luck, too, haha!

Its the same way with Tonberry, but since he counterattacks everytime you attack him, its way faster.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

but one aspect I want to talk about is that I think, generally speaking, bosses in turn-based games have a tendency to veer into the territory of being "unfair" the harder they need to be, whereas action RPGs seem to have a bit of an easier time to create a challenge that does not rely on the boss having unfair advantages over the player.

This is somewhat true, well to me anyways. 

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Its the same way with Tonberry, but since he counterattacks everytime you attack him, its way faster.

I see!
Maybe I should've gone with that after all, then, haha!
It just felt slower, for some reason.

Edited by DragonFlames

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Sooks Sooks

You haven't seen a thing yet

Begone Trails villain! Let me breathe this in!

Also, 

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I see!
Maybe I should've gone with that after all, then, haha!
It just felt slower, for some reason.

If the other way works just as well for you, then it doesnt matter, really! 

The end result is that it can be quite the task, but not as much as grinding stat spheres!

Edited by lightcosmo

>me after reading this thread knowing I only grind moderately

https://i2.wp.com/image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2019/11/2/1552381103-73421240-ea12-47c0-af7e-2e267981d928.png

FFX is my favorite btw

Edited by Maof06

2 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

FFX is my favorite btw

Fair enough, may I ask why?

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

That was the true nightmare right here. XP

Yup!