Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

In the 90s. Nowadays, if an RPG seriously expects you to grind, then it's probably pretty bad.

If thats what you believe. I disagree personally.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

7 minutes ago, Spara said:

So, though I've never really had any talent for art, I decided to sketch some characters (Berwick, HSoS) that I like recently. I'll post the better ones in a spoiler tag to not take up too much space.

Derrick:

Ā  Reveal hidden contents

20210710_202652.jpg

Karajan:

20210710_204711.jpg

Amlute:

20210706_170327.jpg

And Ariel:

20210702_233901.jpg

Hey, that's not too bad. I like Derrick. Don't really know the others, of course, but it's nice to see Kajaran's face.

And now, for something completely different: I'm up to 10x in FE12 H1 now. So far, some maps have been super fun (Chapter 8, Chapter 5), some have been piss-easy (Chapter 10), and some have just been a slog (Chapter 3, the throne room of Chapter 6). When the maps are fun, it's a blast, but the lack of dismounting and the free reclassing system trivializes the hell out of some of these maps. Ultimately, I'd say this game is a bit over 3H for me,Ā maybe.

Oof.

...You know, come to think of it, I never did play book 2. I only played book 1, got bored out of my mind and assumed book 2 would be similarly piss easy. What are your thoughts on it?

Also, sidenote on Kris: I actually think he's pretty decent in most of the talk conversations. He's a bit of a dumbass who can lose his cool, and I think having a self-insert be this rash sometimes-idiot is kinda fun. The problems arise when he's actually in the story for me, when he starts stealing lines and just ruining any sense of tone. Like at the end of Chapter 7, when Jagen's telling Marth they'll have to move quickly across the bridge in order to not get killed, and then any urgency is ruined by Wendell basically saying "HEY KRIS YOU WANNA TRY ON A NEW HAT?!"

To be honest, at some points I'd argue Kris stealing lines is a good thing. For instance, instead of Marth being an uncultured swine that knows absolutely nothing about his continent, it's Kris that gets the history lessons, which makes a lot more sense because they're just a nobody from some backwater village in Altea. There's only really two or three scenes where he really steals someone else's thunder. It's bad, but not as bad as some people say it is.

...I will agree that the hats are kinda dumb, but I love them still.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

If thats what you believe. I disagree personally.

Wait... you like grinding? I mean, i'ts okay if you do, just... I don't get it. Grinding is literally just a waste of time so the devs get to claim their game lasts longer than it really does. If you don't mind me asking, where's the appeal in that?

Well the story for this chapter certainly went from 0 to 100 in two seconds.

Spoiler

Serenes, why wonā€™t you let me delete this accidental spoiler tag?

That's why my favorite RPGs are games like Live a Live, Mother 3, Lisa: The Painful and Omori - games where grinding is either minimal or just plain nonexistent, while super popular RPGs like Chrono Trigger, Pokemon and Final Fantasy did absolutely nothing for me.

Didnā€™t you complete at least one story in Octopath? That requires a little grinding iirc.

1 hour ago, WraithReborn said:

...And now my other dog had to get put to sleep, what a great last few weeks Iā€™ve been having!

Iā€™m sorry to hear youā€™re going through that, it is terrible to lose a pet.Ā 

Kids these days... they want instant gratification, not willing to put time and effort on it.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...You know, come to think of it, I never did play book 2. I only played book 1, got bored out of my mind and assumed book 2 would be similarly piss easy. What are your thoughts on it?

Book 2's a pretty fun time, I'd say. It's definitely more challenging than Book 1. From what I've played between FE12 H1, it's a little easier at times, but not by much. For example I've heard that Chapter 12 of FE12 has a lot of reinforcements from all the forts, while in Book 2, there's just a constant stream from the back forts, like you're being chased down through the graveyard full of enemies who, no matter what you do, will pretty much always 2HKO your units.Ā 

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Didnā€™t you complete at least one story in Octopath? That requires a little grinding iirc.

I beat all of them. It required... minimal grinding. Little enough that the more-fun-than-average combat system kept me going through it.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Kids these days... they want instant gratification, not willing to put time and effort on it.

Meanwhile Ruben: plays Bloodstained for 40 hours longer than he could've because he wanted pixelated medals.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Don't really know the others, of course, but it's nice to see Kajaran's face.

I think you met Amlute briefly in Chapter 5. Ariel doesn't show up until like chapter 13 though, so it makes sense she'd be entirely unfamiliar.

11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Serenes, why wonā€™t you let me delete this accidental spoiler tag?

Dangit, now you know that I open all of your spoilers.

10 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I don't think i ever needed to grind in any jrpg i played in the last 15 years or so

So this is what itā€™s like to not play Square Enix games.

9 minutes ago, Benice said:

Dangit, now you know that I open all of your spoilers.

The Trails spoilers?Ā Benice, donā€™t tell me you read the spoilers in that wall of text I wrote about chapter 3 of SC.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Nobody says that fam :p

Yeah they just say that Edelgard did nothing wrong

Edited by Sooks

Well, damn. I ran into a pretty big bug in Lonely Mirror and I'd like to wait a bit to see if the creator sees my report. And I really don't feel like playing CrossCode.

...TF2 it is, I guess. Can't go wrong with some TF2.

17 minutes ago, Spara said:

Book 2's a pretty fun time, I'd say. It's definitely more challenging than Book 1. From what I've played between FE12 H1, it's a little easier at times, but not by much. For example I've heard that Chapter 12 of FE12 has a lot of reinforcements from all the forts, while in Book 2, there's just a constant stream from the back forts, like you're being chased down through the graveyard full of enemies who, no matter what you do, will pretty much always 2HKO your units.Ā 

Right... Well, a little easier at times than FE12 H1 does not sound good to me personally, but eh. Maybe one day I'll give it a shot.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Nobody says that fam šŸ˜›

Maybe not, but I need to produce reasons to be angry at Three Houses. Even if it's from thin air.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, damn. I ran into a pretty big bug in Lonely Mirror and I'd like to wait a bit to see if the creator sees my report. And I really don't feel like playing CrossCode.

How big a bug?

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Maybe not, but I need to produce reasons to be angry at Three Houses. Even if it's from thin air.

Hey, air is wind. And Verdant Wind is the name of Claudeā€™s route.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Right... Well, a little easier at times than FE12 H1 does not sound good to me personally, but eh. Maybe one day I'll give it a shot.

I should specify that some maps are easier and some are harder. Chapter 6 is slightly easier in 3, mainly due to slightly weaker enemies in the throne room, but Chapter 10 is a fair bit tougher since you have to deal with dismount penalties and such, and can't just dracozoom across the water immediately.

Just now, Spara said:

I should specify that some maps are easier and some are harder. Chapter 6 is slightly easier in 3, mainly due to slightly weaker enemies in the throne room, but Chapter 10 is a fair bit tougher since you have to deal with dismount penalties and such, and can't just dracozoom across the water immediately.

Yeah, I can see how chapter 10 would be more difficult. In FE12's harder difficulties dracozooming isn't an option either due to the sniper and the shaver mages, but reclassing Wendell to draco does trivialize Elrean.

Just now, Sooks said:

How big a bug?

A character that was supposed to rejoin just... hasn't. And she's needed to recruit another guy without too much hassle. I believe it's because her brother is dead. The dialogue changed accordingly, but it still implies that she'll join anyway. My theory is that the alternate event that happens if her brother is dead is glitched and doesn't make her rejoin. I'll have to wait till the creator sees it, and hopefully he'll fix it. Otherwise... Eh. Maybe I'll just keep going tomorrow. I didn't intend on using her anyway.

Just now, Sooks said:

Hey, air is wind. And Verdant Wind is the name of Claudeā€™s route.

What!?

Oh, that's it. Henceforth, I shall not breathe. Starting now!

18 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I don't think i ever needed to grind in any jrpg i played in the last 15 years or so

Oh no...

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The Trails spoilers?Ā Benice, donā€™t tell me you read the spoilers in that wall of text I wrote about chapter 3 of SC.

Nah, I haven't opened most spoilers, just ones about your predictions. Plus, if I play SC, I'll prolly just skip most of the story if it's as wordy as FC, since I really quite like the gameplay, but I'm not very big on any of the characters yet Aside from Josette, but I need to wait for 3rd for that.. That said, with the pace I move with, I'll have another 60 hours to become an acolyte of Estelle and co.

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

Nah, I haven't opened most spoilers, just ones about your predictions.

But those still use spoilery stuff, which is why I spoiler tag them.

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

Plus, if I play SC, I'll prolly just skip most of the story if it's as wordy as FC, since I really quite like the gameplay, but I'm not very big on any of the characters yet

Youā€™re still in Bose, right? The story gets a lot better, trust me. I canā€™t blame you for skipping chapter 2ā€™s story, as itā€™s the slowest and least eventful the game gets (but it picks up toward the end, to its credit), but chapter 3 is where things start to pick up and stay as fast paced (ish)Ā and climactic. Especially donā€™t skip the story after the final boss, you would be doing yourself a massive disservice to skip FCā€™s ending.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

But those still use spoilery stuff, which is why I spoiler tag them.

Yes, but I have no self-control for spoilers.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I canā€™t blame you for skipping chapter 2ā€™s story,

I think I'm still in Ch. 1, actually. Maybe not, though.

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

I think I'm still in Ch. 1, actually. Maybe not, though.

Yeah, you are unless the current objective is to head to the next region. Iā€™m just warning you.

Just now, Sooks said:

Yeah, you are unless the current objective is to head to the next region. Iā€™m just warning you.

Oh.

Ah well, a Bracer's job is not to be rushed!

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wait... you like grinding? I mean, i'ts okay if you do, just... I don't get it. Grinding is literally just a waste of time so the devs get to claim their game lasts longer than it really does. If you don't mind me asking, where's the appeal in that?

Thats like saying whats the point in a strategy game being a strategy game. Whats the appeal in a strategy game being the way it is?

Grinding is an achievement, and a way to topple challenges. Just as strategy is a way too outsmart an opponent. Both have clear directions.

To answer the question do i enjoy it? Yeah, and I have the playthrough/times to back that up. The whole idea of "growth" is appealing to me. Saying its boring is missing the entire point of the gameplay.