• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

16 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

generally speaking, bosses in turn-based games have a tendency to veer into the territory of being "unfair" the harder they need to be, whereas action RPGs seem to have a bit of an easier time to create a challenge that does not rely on the boss having unfair advantages over the player.
But this is all just speculation on my part, haha

Nah, I feel the same way. Way too easy for bosses in turn-based RPGs to just become statwalls.

Also, forgot to respond to this but

33 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

The darkness actually gives this scene an extra layer of primal-ness, for lack of a better word. I don't know how to express it, but watching this, I felt like I was watching nature take its course, so to speak.

That's Xenoblade X in a nutshell. The renmants of humanity crashland on an alien planet, a planet that they are not part of the natural order of.

Xenoblade X handles the raw nature of Planet Mira very well.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Overdrive moment

I attempted it without it, after a few hours, I said enough was enough. XD 

Although I think Pyotr, the Shepherd is the worst when fighting cold turkey.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Pyotr, the Shepherd

I don't think I ever came across him. Or maybe I did.

Idk, I don't remember all of the Tyrants.

19 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Fair enough, may I ask why?

S T O R Y

h1cAj2f.jpg

Also, this ^^

But mainly, S T O R Y

Final Fantasy X is one of the only three works that left me sobbing uncontrollably like a little child after the emotional rollercoaster alongside Fate/Stay Night and Toy Story (which I was a little child at the time), and that experience is worth more to me than anything else.

Edited by Maof06

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I don't think I ever came across him. Or maybe I did.

Idk, I don't remember all of the Tyrants.

He has the two "sheep" that when killed, grant Pyotr a 85% (not 100% sure) defence boost to all attacks.

Also, hes in Noctilum.

4 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

But mainly, S T O R Y

Final Fantasy X is one of the only three works that left me sobbing like a little child after the emotional rollercoaster alongside Fate/Stay Night and Toy Story, and that experience is worth more to me than anything else.

Thats always a good reason to truly enjoy a game!

Edited by lightcosmo

41 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oh yeah but that's a problem that tends to plague the genre in general.

Unfortunately...

41 minutes ago, Armagon said:

think it comes from your philosophy towards games. You just don't have the patience. Don't mean this in a bad way I just mean that you prefer when games get right to the point basically immediately. Bloodstained clicked for you because of that but a game like CrossCode, which is more gradual, you have trouble getting into it.

Yeah, that's true. I don't want games to remain static through their entirety, but a strong start is going to do wonders for me. The promise of it getting good eventually just isn't enough, personally.

42 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's like the halfway point of the ice temple that you're in.

I'd be surprised if you didn't have it by now but then again, the dungeon took me a while too the first time cause I didn't understand the puzzles.

Wait... So is the elemental thing those orbs that put my balls on fire?

That came out wrong, but you get what I mean. For the record, I left it at the one boss that absorbs a bunch of critters and gains ice powers for no reason whatsoever.

9 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

But mainly, S T O R Y

Final Fantasy X is one of the only three works that left me sobbing uncontrollably like a little child after the emotional rollercoaster alongside Fate/Stay Night and Toy Story (which I was a little child at the time), and that experience is worth more to me than anything else.

You should play Trails in the Sky.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, that's true. I don't want games to remain static through their entirety, but a strong start is going to do wonders for me. The promise of it getting good eventually just isn't enough, personally.

This is basically me with TV shows. If it doesn’t get good in the first 20 minutes, I will probably drop it and never watch it again (there is one exception to this, but I had to watch the first episode in 2 different sessions and I only came back the second time because the show was a prequel to one I really really really liked). With games though, it just depends on the gameplay, which at the beginning of most games is usually in its purest form, past the tutorial, so that works out nicely for me to tell if I like it.

40 minutes ago, Sooks said:

You should play Trails in the Sky.

When I finish Banner Saga. I already have all Sky and Crossbell games with voice acting and Cold Steel 2 in hand.

I'll never cry, though.

Edited by Maof06

I like how AE has a dedicated "put stuff here in the past so you can pick it up in the future after it changed from all the time that passed". This is like the fifth item I'm putting in there. Haha, I can only picture how it might look with all that stuff in there...

28 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wait... So is the elemental thing those orbs that put my balls on fire?

Kinda. Those elemental orbs are basically training wheels. Throughout each dungeon, you're taught about elements and how they can affect different things. Like how hitting a bomb with fire will cause it to roll until it hits something (as opposed to just bouncing a little bit like when you hit it with neutral).

Around the dungeon's halfway point, you'll gain the ability to use the dungeon's featured element yourself, both in and out of combat. At which point the training wheels come off and you have to figure things out yourself.

32 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

For the record, I left it at the one boss that absorbs a bunch of critters and gains ice powers for no reason whatsoever.

Ah yeah, that one's a bitch. I do think you aren't far from getting Heat tho.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Unironically this is a genuine source of entertainment.

"Numbers go up" as the same energy as "Kaiju goes smash".

And "numbers go up" is admittedly a classic part of the FE experience. That chime that comes with every green +1 on leveling is addictive and irreplaceable for me. Although, the addiction here, because RNG growths, is also partially a gambler's high -albeit a safe one that won't eat your money.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Hey @Interdimensional Observer I take it not all the clues for the Chozo Artifacts are revealed right away?

Correct. Bringing Artifacts back to the temple provides a little power that awakens the clues for more Artifacts.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Correct. Bringing Artifacts back to the temple provides a little power that awakens the clues for more Artifacts.

I see.

Btw, I think I did get the E-Tank you couldn't. I apologize if I'm rubbing salt in the wound but was the one located here

IMG_20210711_200835.jpg

The one you were having trouble with? I know I had to Spring Ball+Bomb Jump up here.

Just now, Armagon said:

The one you were having trouble with? I know I had to Spring Ball+Bomb Jump up here.

Yep! Thats the one. And no it isn't salt in the wound. I'm fine, I'm happy actually, because it's good to know that, if coincidentally, the sheer challenge of getting that was fixed.

Because, for the GameCube version as I've said before, three perfectly executed Double Bomb Jumps in a row were necessary there due to the lack of the Spring Ball. And if I failed, it was back to the start again because the floor beneath was destroyed by the bombs. And if I failed on the first jump, then into the lava I go. I died more times attempting this than in the entirety of the rest of the game. I don't understand how anyone could get the timing right on their third try, when I couldn't after dozens or hundreds- I never even got enough height to ascend the first cliff when I did get the fractions-of-a-second timing right.

The fact this one comes in the early midsection of the game (I'd consider getting the Varia Suit back the end of the beginning), when you could still really benefit from an extra 100 energy, meant it annoyed me more than had it come later.

The Spring Ball I'm told also makes one or two boss fights in MP2 significantly easier, because someone thought to invent boss fights where it's 100% Morph Ball action. (If you want the scans, you have to analyze the bosses before confronting them.)

Starting to notice that Metroid Prime 1 is just Super Metroid but in 3D and considering I think Super is the weakest of the 2D Metroids.....yeah.

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Because, for the GameCube version as I've said before, three perfectly executed Double Bomb Jumps in a row were necessary there due to the lack of the Spring Ball. And if I failed, it was back to the start again because the floor beneath was destroyed by the bombs. And if I failed on the first jump, then into the lava I go. I died more times attempting this than in the entirety of the rest of the game. I don't understand how anyone could get the timing right on their third try, when I couldn't after dozens or hundreds- I never even got enough height to ascend the first cliff when I did get the fractions-of-a-second timing right.

Yeah, I can imagine. Not even sure there's another way of getting it without that which, if so, just means the devs locked an E-Tank behind speedrun tactics.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Starting to notice that Metroid Prime 1 is just Super Metroid but in 3D and considering I think Super is the weakest of the 2D Metroids.....yeah.

"Super in 3D" is how I've thought of it before. Although, what else did have to reference? Fusion was being concurrently developed, and Zero Mission wasn't in the works yet.

Maybe Prime 2, which does strengthen the central narrative and guidance somewhat, will be better for you. -But I can't say for certain whether the game with a dash of inspiration from Triforce of the Gods will be that way.