• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's not. The gameplay and story in Gaiden integrate by refusing to let you move Alm out of the Dragon's Maw, and that you need to move him there to begin with and have a couple skirmishes in there to trigger Jedah's dialogue. SoV changes all this. SoV removes the trap, the dialogue trigger, and the relevant line of dialogue itself. Those are big changes, so SoV does make it clear it's deviating from Gaiden for this too. The danger is still there, it's just no longer "Alm has become trapped in a dracozombie filled zone, you must save him ASAP". Jedah instead preys on Alm's remaining battles against Rigel, and later showing Celica Mila's body and speak of her self-sealing, to provoke Celica to give up her soul. "Do this and he won't have to put himself in further danger as the gods will take care of everything like it used to be" is the message he's selling her. Which is why Celica accepts right there and then in SoV, and not wait until Alm is in actual danger like back in Gaiden.

It still doesn't change the fact that Alm would've died in the war without Celica. There's still more than one instance of him needing Celica's help, otherwise she wouldn't get that vision anyway with Shadows of Valentia making it abundantly clear that he would've lost without her. Especially when she's the entire reason he gets promoted and a magical boost in power. Doesn't really change that Celica's route still has positive changes and far more equalizing things, my big overall point. She's changed to be more dependent on her allies but so is Alm. Alm and Celica only need to directly rescue each other 1-2 times. Otherwise they get helped by their own allies instead.

Edited by Seazas

10 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

My points and arguments were always civil. I was merely calling out shit game design, nothing unusual about that. 

Imagine playing a game where there is one simple solution to everything, its literally bad game design 101.

That was not what I was trying to say, nor was it my point. I was just saying, it's nice when we happen to all be playing things we like and we manage not to hate on things for a little while, reasonable or otherwise. And I direct that at myself as much as anyone else. I realize I get carried away sometimes.

And i was ignored... *sigh* shocking...

Hey, I went to bed after my last post. I can't be here all the time, can I?

Thats not really my point, though. 

Like, I cant count how many times the whole "holy shit, if only girls in games wore pants!" BS came up and was "justified" but when someone else says something, its sudeenly not okay. 

Like, hypocritical much?

I wasn't even directing it at you, I was just making a general statement that it's nice when this place is positive and you took it personally.

Look, I don't want to get into petty arguments with you. I made a mistake the one time, I said I was sorry and I proceeded to nope out of the thread each time you and Shrimpy started with CS, as I should've done from the start. As far as I can tell, you're doing the same with my own nonsense. I really don't see why you feel the need to pick a fight with me now.

8 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

This was funny in ways you probably didn't intend.

Well, I intended for it to be funny, so if it was, then I succeeded.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

35 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

My points and arguments were always civil. I was merely calling out shit game design, nothing unusual about that. 

Imagine playing a game where there is one simple solution to everything, its literally bad game design 101.

I know I haven't said much on Trails to begin with as an outsider, so I can't really contribute there.

I do feel looking at the second sentence like asking myself about examples. Quickly, I think of BS or SS with the use of powerful prepromotes with 1-2 range, then on to a game like Wargroove which had such an issue with Spearmen spam it had to increase their price to attempt to rebalance or how easily broken some JRPG builds get (some easier to get than others), but I might be thinking about it too simply.

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Like, I cant count how many times the whole "holy shit, if only girls in games wore pants!" BS came up and was "justified" but when someone else says something, its sudeenly not okay. 

I've been guilty of this too. And if I'm being honest, most of my being bothered by it is how these things are framed. So a character is dressed in a manner that is supposedly provocative and inappropriate, like, I don't know, L-Lize or Nuui. Do we hear people complain as much about designs like Sylvia, Tethys or Olivia? We don't half as often as for character who are treated as adults and especially those who are treated somewhat as flaunting themselves. (And I mean, we probably should be bringing up the issues this raise for Sylvia, which ties into this being focused on more recent works).

What does it say when we get exercised about it in the manner we do, justified as I think some of it has been (again, my point from the argument I remember taking part in was about the framing of this)? What does it say when we make this complaint about some examples but not others? I think we could stand to be a bit less "Quelle horreur", or at least more consistent. And I know I haven't really addressed the second part of that sentence, but I'm feeling like a dunce as I can't immediately think of an example where I went out of my way to say "I don't want this topic in my vicinity".

And yes, coming from me that sounds off. I mean, it's me, Mr. Bonk. I'm trying to reduce the horny in this thread out of politeness, not prudishness

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm the overly sensitive one here. When Luminous Arc 3 stepped into the usual "death is what give life meaning" JRPG drivel for all of five seconds during a lategame big bad confrontation, I felt a little "I don't want to hear this!🙉".

When Shakyamuni, that prince who was spared the sight of old age, sickness and death until he like 30 so the stories go, finally saw those three things, he set out and soon acquired the serenity of enlightenment. If only I could do the same.

Imagine being able to cut into the talk there and say "I don't care if it does, that's not what I'm here for!"

Shakyamuni as a result of this had to have not seen his grandparents his whole life right? Maybe I'm off base thinking like that.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

@Dayni ok so i booted up my original Dread save file.

Turns out the whole statistics thing doesn't apply to saves before the update, which is a bit of a bummer.

RIP.

Maybe it'll be different as I hadn't cleared before the update?

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

As far as I can tell, you're doing the same with my own nonsense. I really don't see why you feel the need to pick a fight with me now.

? If you read what Armagon said about hating KH's storyline and then proceeding to apologise to me, it didn't bother me, and it shouldn't. Why should it? It's his opinion, not mine, and it didn't feel that way when people were getting overly annoyed at the rant that i had. Not picking a fight at all, just stating my feelings on the matter, entirely different.

To be clear, anyone here is fine to like CS' gameplay, i'm not gonna condemn them for it, i personally just can't stand how boring it is.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

I've been guilty of this too. And if I'm being honest, most of my being bothered by it is how these things are framed. So a character is dressed in a manner that is supposedly provocative and inappropriate, like, I don't know, L-Lize or Nuui. Do we hear people complain as much about designs like Sylvia, Tethys or Olivia? We don't half as often as for character who are treated as adults and especially those who are treated somewhat as flaunting themselves. (And I mean, we probably should be bringing up the issues this raise for Sylvia, which ties into this being focused on more recent works).

Missed this, but if you feel that way, that's your choice, and i'm not gonna try to stop you. If you not enjoying something upsets me, then i think i'm for sure on the wrong end here.

16 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

? If you read what Armagon said about hating KH's storyline and then proceeding to apologise to me, it didn't bother me, and it shouldn't. Why should it? It's his opinion, not mine, and it didn't feel that way when people were getting overly annoyed at the rant that i had. Not picking a fight at all, just stating my feelings on the matter, entirely different.

Look, let's just drop it, all right? I don't want to argue.

5 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Biggest mistake i did was introduce Trails to half the thread that didn't play it. It was a moment of weakness during Falcom's 40th anniversary and now we are all cursed

Not at all, telling someone about something you feel they might enjoy and then regretting it? That's silly. My total playtime for the Trails series is above 500 hours total, and most of them being Sky (If i'm being honest) still makes me happy to play and continue enjoy playing it, that won't change. You've done nothing but try to help others, that's something to admire, if anything.

9 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Biggest mistake i did was introduce Trails to half the thread that didn't play it. It was a moment of weakness during Falcom's 40th anniversary and now we are all cursed.

So XenobladeJP revealed more info on the characters: Lanz is 18 years old and his personality is basically Reyn 2.0, which is great because Reyn is based. There's a tidbit about how his friends sometimes worry because of how reckless Lanz can get.

Lanz being 18 when he's possibily a half-human, half-Machina hybrid is interesting because this is what a child Machnia looks like

FLnsjc7WYAANE62?format=jpg&name=large

1326 years old. A thousand years is like being a five-year old for a Machina. Looks like the long-lived races of the Bionis and Mechonis have had their lifespans decreased.

Sena is also 18 years old and, uh, she's got a really cute personality. Get this: she likes to work out and is pretty cheerful and energetic but she's shy around others and lacks confidence in herself. 

20220215_082657.jpg

Yes i agree.

Like i've been thinking about this but with the even gender ratio of the party, there is a possibility we might be seeing romance between all the characters. Xeno has handled romance decently in the past so i wouldn't be opposed to the idea. Tho not everything has to have romance in it, i'd be fine with that too Noah and Mio are totally getting together tho, that's an easy prediction.

1 hour ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Why-man reveal a bit disappointing ngl

Yeah i'm......not too sure how to feel about it myself tbh. Like i guess it makes sense and i guess it could've been a lot worse but idk, it didn't have the impact that it should've. Feels like something out of Doctor Who, which i'd be fine with.....in Doctor Who.

I'm more interested to see how it's resolved tbh.

Edited by Armagon

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Xeno has handled romance decently in the past

Yeah, this is something i have to point it cause it's kinda irritating when games do this wrong. It's just unusual when they write it as "oh, girl crushes over guy the entire game with little interactions and endgame they fall in love" or vice versa. 

Best thing about Allen, he waits 3 entire games before finally getting his big chance.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Yeah, this is something i have to point it cause it's kinda irritating when games do this wrong. It's just unusual when they write it as "oh, girl crushes over guy the entire game with little interactions and endgame they fall in love" or vice versa. 

Meanwhile Xenogears had a very good enemies-to-lovers (kinda) arc between Fei and Elly. Hey just like in Xenoblade 3.

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Best thing about Allen, he waits 3 entire games before finally getting his big chance.

Allen biggest chad in all of Xeno.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

FLfvrphWQAoBLHl?format=jpg&name=large

Cool stache.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

7UrWIQ9.jpg

Wow, Kurisu looks great though. Probably the only character whose design I like better in this game, of the ones I've seen in your screenshots.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

q3FvYQ3.jpg,

Perhaps you should listen to your own advice, Daru

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

then on to a game like Wargroove which had such an issue with Spearmen spam it had to increase their price to attempt to rebalance

I did spam some Pikemen in Wargroove, but it felt much weaker than AW Mech spam. Indeed, the economy of Wargroove on the whole felt much more stiflingly restrained. I can't remember ever buying a Golem, despite Mid Tanks regularly playing a role in my AW armies. And the way Pikemen are, I couldn't spam Knights as I could light Tanks in AW either, since Pikes counter Knights better than Tanks against Mechs. These are mostly strategic positives, if not feeling so good to me, maybe I'm not that good at strategy, or maybe I'm just too bound to AW's ways.

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

Shakyamuni as a result of this had to have not seen his grandparents his whole life right? Maybe I'm off base thinking like that.

The whole Gautama Buddha story goes that "a king is told a prophecy that his son will either be a great king or a great sage". And then the king, being interested in kingship, obviously doesn't want his son to become an ascetic, and so keeps him in a life of purest luxury. Obviously, the king's attempt to defy fate failed.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

So XenobladeJP revealed more info on the characters: Lanz is 18 years old and his personality is basically Reyn 2.0, which is great because Reyn is based. There's a tidbit about how his friends sometimes worry because of how reckless Lanz can get.

So Just Another Typical "Bro" Character? Not that I'm complaining. Bro Characters can be great, and I think I usually like them (the perv type not so much). Although Reyn doesn't particularly stand out in my mind.

1326 years old. A thousand years is like being a five-year old for a Machina. Looks like the long-lived races of the Bionis and Mechonis have had their lifespans decreased.

Honestly, writing long-lived species without a secret (XC1 Machina) or very aloof (FE Manaketes) existence sounds like more trouble than its worth. Sure they mentally mature slower, but that doesn't change that they're living much longer and eventually reach maturity. By the time a young adult Machina can drop the "young" from their adulthood, they'll have had possibly... 50 sets of young adult human friends? That still ought to affect you and make you see life differently from a human, and writing with this in mind reads like a total chore.

Lanz being 18 when he's possibily a half-human, half-Machina hybrid is interesting

Speaking of Machina, how... do they conceive? What are they made of? They're supposed to be "mechanical life" apart from the "organic" life of Bionis. But how does mechanical life age and mature? How does it grow from an infant one-foot-tall to an eight-foot adult? 

• XCX did describe the Xe-doms, Oc-servs, and Fal-swos as being made of "living metal". But what is living metal and what are its unique properties that make it living?
  • I am familiar with Zehirut Crystal and Machine Cells from non-Xeno sources. Neither constitutes lifeforms in themselves, but both are metal-like substances that can act like organic materials and self-replicate, self-augment, and self-repair. -And of course, there are always nanomachines as an option that is ancestral Xeno.
  • Given the above knowledge, I would rather think that Machina are "organic" with a kind of DNA and cellular structure to their bodies. However, rather than be carbon-based lifeforms that require lipids, carbohydrates, nucleic acids, and proteins, Machina use... titanium or iron or some other metal as the elementary basis of their organic compounds. Carbon makes for "natural" lifeforms, whereas an metal base makes for "mechanical" lifeforms.

And now we have to answer the question- "How does natural life interbreed with mechanical life?". And for that... ...well... a fertility clinic? If it's been thousands of years, then I suppose some Machina and humans fell in love and wanted to have babies, but couldn't. So they asked a scientist why not, and the scientist took their desire seriously and began studying the differences between Machina and humans. And although the human partner died long before they got an answer, eventually researchers figured out how to graft Machina cells with human cells, and from there began experimenting with gametes turned into zygotes, which eventually became successful embryos, which grew into children, who became adults, who with repeated trial and research became increasingly ordinarily healthy.

I'm overthinking things.😅 And it's ignoring that if Machina and humans could be made to interbreed, then why don't we have human-Nopon hybrids either? Natural-natural ought be easier than natural-metallic to make babies out of.

Like i've been thinking about this but with the even gender ratio of the party, there is a possibility we might be seeing romance between all the characters. Xeno has handled romance decently in the past so i wouldn't be opposed to the idea. Tho not everything has to have romance in it, i'd be fine with that too Noah and Mio are totally getting together tho, that's an easy prediction.

Ehhhh, throw me a curveball with the relationships, a little gaction or leslove so it's not so blasé.😄

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Budew: Serial Date Killer

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

Missed this, but if you feel that way, that's your choice, and i'm not gonna try to stop you. If you not enjoying something upsets me, then i think i'm for sure on the wrong end here.

I'd probably not react as strongly to these designs in a context where they're not being framed for fantitilation, but I do get that people don't have to see them that way and that it's not universally perceived that way. I often don't anyways, but where it's blatant I can feel quite strongly that that isn't needed.

Reading the comment I responded to, I felt like I had to address it. Especially with how I've responded to certain corners of the internet's behaviour.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I did spam some Pikemen in Wargroove, but it felt much weaker than AW Mech spam. Indeed, the economy of Wargroove on the whole felt much more stiflingly restrained. I can't remember ever buying a Golem, despite Mid Tanks regularly playing a role in my AW armies. And the way Pikemen are, I couldn't spam Knights as I could light Tanks in AW either, since Pikes counter Knights better than Tanks against Mechs. These are mostly strategic positives, if not feeling so good to me, maybe I'm not that good at strategy, or maybe I'm just too bound to AW's ways.

Golems aren't particularly like medium tanks to me, partly because of how much more Medium Tanks cost and their movement in terrain. Medium tanks are better off defensively from what I saw so . I wouldn't buy them early myself either. My real concern with Knights is how effective they are to maximise their crit rate. Interesting noting the meta that formed in AW around the Tank < Copter < AntiAir and how that shapes combat there.

Though if an 8 year old can golem spam on the lowest difficulty and win, well, who knows the limits?