Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Fine, you got a chuckle out of me, America.

7 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Saying tee hee 

Plenty of us don't say it..... often.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Join us, Boi. Join us in our Engage hype and our teeheeing.

I feel like the week of silence hasn't helped, especially when we chose to avoid Spoilers (Myself included).

...except the only thing I found at the purported save location were three JPEGs of the saves' ingame thumbnails. No hidden files or anything. Just, three JPEGs. This game saves progress on JPEGs.

What the absolute fuck is this game and how does that even work. How does the game even work.

I'm sorry, it actually saves as a jpg?

That's not just the thumbnail for it?

Is there a suggestion there's data attached to the file the game uses to store progress?

Fascinating.

I'm imagining the game working off a progression system where it can check where you were in the game based solely on what you were looking at, but probably not.

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

Six rounds of voting now, and the only constants are Jeffries keeping the same number of votes while McCarthy is losing them.

6 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

Is there a suggestion there's data attached to the file the game uses to store progress?

Fascinating.

I'm imagining the game working off a progression system where it can check where you were in the game based solely on what you were looking at, but probably not.

On a little thought, perhaps the actual save files are Hidden? Or maybe he already checked for hidden files. Or they're actually saved in the User Folder, not the Steam one. I know some Steam games save to the User Profile system.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

For someone who keeps saying they hate Enjeji, you sure post alot about it

Tsundere much?

I don’t hate “Enjeji” Shrimp-kun. I’m more bemused and apathetic towards Engage then anything else. The cast of playable characters really isn’t doing anything for me.

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

15 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You cracked the game and it cracked you back.

Rooben: Haha I hacked the game and fucked up Watson, I can play the actual game tomorrow, I'm sure that'll be fun and painless too.

Game: 

mqdefault.jpg

Oh, interesting. I'd assume it interprets the "pictures"(?) and makes the appropriate flag checks based on that? It's the first thing that comes to mind.

Either that or the actual code is stored in the picture's metadata or something. Actually, that's probably it. I should look into that more tomorrow.

14 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

I feel like the week of silence hasn't helped, especially when we chose to avoid Spoilers (Myself included).

FE and shitty-ass marketing. Name a more iconic duo.

14 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

I am positive. I briefly deleted one of the pictures to check. The save disappeared. The fucking JPEG is the save. SPEG!

Fascinating.

I mean, it's a rather linear game, but just in this one area I can do a lot of stuff that doesn't change the look of the walls in the slightest. What, do they measure how long has passed based on the length of Watson's mustache?

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

On a little thought, perhaps the actual save files are Hidden? Or maybe he already checked for hidden files. Or they're actually saved in the User Folder, not the Steam one. I know some Steam games save to the User Profile system.

Yeah, that was the first thing I checked. No hidden files at all. And again, deleting a JPEG caused its corresponding save to vanish ingame. The JPEGs were also not in the Steam folder to begin with, but rather at appdata.

This is amazing. If this actually works, if I get home tomorrow, install the game on ny other computer, plop the fucking JPEGs in the save location and it works, I am going to lose my goddamned mind.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Howdy

Yo.

Either that or the actual code is stored in the picture's metadata or something. Actually, that's probably it. I should look into that more tomorrow.

I am positive. I briefly deleted one of the pictures to check. The save disappeared. The fucking JPEG is the save. SPEG!

I mean, it's a rather linear game, but just in this one area I can do a lot of stuff that doesn't change the look of the walls in the slightest. What, do they measure how long has passed based on the length of Watson's mustache?

Yeah, that was the first thing I checked. No hidden files at all. And again, deleting a JPEG caused its corresponding save to vanish ingame. The JPEGs were also not in the Steam folder to begin with, but rather at appdata.

This is amazing. If this actually works, if I get home tomorrow, install the game on ny other computer, plop the fucking JPEGs in the save location and it works, I am going to lose my goddamned mind.

Oh, interesting.

Well, that's usually how it works. Even if it wasn't JPEG, you can do what with any save file of many games so long they have an actual file of their own and can be interacted with. So long it's in the appropriate location.

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Suuuuuuuuuuuuure.

An "apatheric" person would ignore it, and not keep posting about it.

Keep being Tsunraith

What can I say, morbid curiosity is my Achilles’ heel.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Plausible, though of them I'd expect the latter to happen.

But I always leave hidden files as visible, what do I know?

2 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

*Yawn*

>Linked it when engage talk has been about the last week of silence.

Are.... are you about to pick it up before me?

@BrightBowI'm curious, have you played around with the full cast in River City Girls 2?

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I dunno, I found the blitz to be ott, just this silence after that reads like they sprinted a bit too hard there.

What would you even count as good marketing? From a delivery perspective, I mean.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm curious then about the size of the file and then the resolution of the image, because if that's so I'm betting it plops the relevant data into the image file they then use as a thumbnail for the game.

Imagine if it could work off an edited image! What potential madness could be done with the game!

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well that's probably one of the more reasonable outcomes to my mind if it works like that.

3 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

I don’t hate “Enjeji” Shrimp-kun. I’m more bemused and apathetic towards Engage then anything else. The cast of playable characters really isn’t doing anything for me.

Which reads a little contradictory when you've linked a video summarising profiles of said cast.

4 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

What would you even count as good marketing? From a delivery perspective, I mean

English translations, for one xD

5 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

just this silence after that reads like they sprinted a bit too hard there.

and we still didn't get Micaiah yet lmao

4 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

@BrightBowI'm curious, have you played around with the full cast in River City Girls 2?

Misako, Marian and Provi so far.

Once Marian is unlocked, it's hard to play anyone else.

Heck, she even has a funny Melee Marth-style meme grab range.

Edited by BrightBow

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Dorcas and mutton.

I hate myself for referencing the meme and I hate you for forcing (forcing!) me to do it by providing the set-up.

57 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

Which reads a little contradictory when you've linked a video summarising profiles of said cast.

The video is a good summation of some of the character traits for each of the PCs and why they’re boring.

6 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

English translations, for one xD

and we still didn't get Micaiah yet lmao

That seems like differing levels of commitment or interest. Or maybe they do expect word of mouth to do the talking, a bet I can believe is considered more by marketing these days.

Good Job Micaiah

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Heck, she even has a funny Melee Marth-style meme grab range.

That's intentional?

Wow. Powerful alright.

I was right about her being a Majin after all, she has to be that fast to be able to reach an enemy, grab them and then bring them back to where she was /s

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Once Marian is unlocked, it's hard to play anyone else.

I was kinda thinking that.

That was before I saw grabs from what, half a screen away? And then that bit at the end, what

How're the others then?

1 minute ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

The video is a good summation of some of the character traits for each of the PCs and why they’re boring.

And I'll maintain my general ambivalence to the cast and not watch

3 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

And I'll maintain my general ambivalence to the cast and not watch

But aren’t you excited at the prospect of fielding an army of husbandos and waifus? You know I am!

Just now, Sidereal Wraith said:

But aren’t you excited at the prospect of fielding an army of husbandos and waifus? You know I am!

Oh no, I was right after all. Teehee is tainted.

1 minute ago, Punished Dayni said:

Oh no, I was right after all. Teehee is tainted.

I was being sarcastic!!! And of course Teehee is tainted, where have you been?!?

2 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

This Christmas year me and my family played a boardgame called "Secret Hitler" which is a very fun and funny history game.

Classic, although I slightly prefer the Secret Palpatine version due to the option Darth Jar-Jar rules.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

No one here is denying that it was a horrible system and has to be changed or even replaced, but it's telling how you even have to put the word nice in quotation marks, as if unable to accept that it could be true. No one would deny they'd be a very very minority and that fact would be a bad thing, but should they exist and you're trying to deny their existence... well, that is also a bad thing to do.

I think nice is in quotation marks because the nice thing would be not to force that system on other people at all...

2 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Saying tee hee 

Could be worse

AL9nZEUchLoyfPxWR8Wpsqc5RTS5MnLdvYLEmdwn

You could be the girl that says Tee Hee in the Dark Souls franchise

1 hour ago, ping said:

Dorcas and mutton.

I hate myself for referencing the meme and I hate you for forcing (forcing!) me to do it by providing the set-up.

Ah, but you have fallen for his trap card,

Dorcas, and Mutton ARE FE and shitty-ass marketing

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

No one here is denying that it was a horrible system and has to be changed or even replaced, but it's telling how you even have to put the word nice in quotation marks, as if unable to accept that it could be true. No one would deny they'd be a very very minority and that fact would be a bad thing, but should they exist and you're trying to deny their existence... well, that is also a bad thing to do.

You sort of did with this line

9 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Honestly, I feel that if there's a "myth" nowadays, it's the idea that every single nobility/royal was an oppressive monster. Since yes, I also doubt people nowadays think everything was peachy. If anything it's the other way around, thinking instead things were even worse than they actually were.

Which implies that you don't think things were that bad when they definitely were.

In fact, the system was so ingrained that it took more than half the population of Europe dying just to cool things down a bit with the Bubonic Plaque.

Also I'm sorry, whenever I hear "Nice" lord, all I can think of is.

Point being that just as a "nice" slave owner is still a slave owner, a "nice" lord, is still a wealthy individual who profits from the labor of others and not themselves. They're the better ones for sure but we shouldn't settle for nice lords when it's equity and equality that we're after.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

To be fair, if thousands of years ago we had indeed been in the mindset of "being nicer to each other", we wouldn't be in the need of needing to overhaul the system altogether. Respect and Tolerance is indeed a two-way street.

Ah yes, the classic "Can't we all just get along?" approach.

Listen I agree with you, if we as humans could better regulate our self-preservation and give more empathy than we wouldn't need system reforms because this idea creates a hypothetical were everyone is nice to each other and everyone is happy. I've made no secret of wishing that human tribalism wasn't a thing.

But unfortunately we are still animals with faulty brains that in the right circumstance will go for selfish desires over selfless. and in this system of explicit power being granted over other people, you can't ever rely on people just being nice, because for every nice lord there are 50 more who are assholes, and that's not because they're just naturally bad people who do bad things, it's because the system they live under encourages that harsh treatment for maximum gain, it's efficient to be cruel and cold.

It is interesting though you bringing up the idea of "what if everyone was in the mindset of be nice?" because that is what religion was meant to do, and in fact those nice lord in Europe usually were nice because they were religious and believed in that heavenly kindness. Many priests during the colonization of New Spain were against the subjection of us natives, and it was through religion that Martin Luther King Jr preached against race and class segregation.

However of course, in true systematic fashion, religion was and is used as a form of subjection in itself, hell a big part of MLK's protests was disproving the commonly held-belief at the time that the bible justified black oppression, a tid-bit that is conveniently left out of most class rooms when teaching about MLK.

The problem isn't people, it's systems.