Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

6 minutes ago, Hanes said:

Ah, well, I'm gonna be stingy xd. Maybe I'd try J, is it on like GBA or some super easy retro console to emulate, btw?

Yes, it's on the GBA.

• Replies 177.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Why would you do this to yourself?

Fun.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

don’t even get what the difference is between side adventures and side quests

Side Adventures are more overarching. Side Quests are more local. In addition, Side Adventures are the ones that inform the game's themes and enhance the story whereas Side Quests are usually more self-contained though they are still better than those found in BotW.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Am I supposed to have found that already? Bad news

You can start it in Lookout Landing. You'll be flying a lot for it tho so it's best saved for when you have a lot of batteries.

Me and my dad were talking plans for the Spain trip. @Saint Rubenio any touristy places you can recommend that isn't like, the obvious stuff (like museum visits is something we'll obviously for example do so I don't need recommendations for those).

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

I hope you can still confront Garon (lol) with a stick.

I keep making that typo

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

Well as a game with a durability mechanic in the first place, giving you an uber sword that you can get as early as you want that does good damage and doesn’t break would just stop you from engaging with the durability mechanic altogether. Of course whether or not the durability mechanic should be there is a different question, one that you’re presumably aiming not to discuss.

Although I would say the intention is to have Link’s legendary sword for whenever you’re in a pickle, not just the final boss.

Ahhh, so what you're telling me is...

KAGA

DID

IT

3 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Why doesn't it just gradually repair? Like the self-repairing weapons in Berwick Saga or whatever.

DAMMIT Brightbow did it first!

2 hours ago, Hanes said:

Hmm, I have the PS2 emulator set up. What do I need? Is there a prepatched version somewhere or will I have to learn how to patch a PS2 rom?

Just the ROM and the patch, which you can find here. Prepatched versions online might be outdated (current version is 2.3), but don't worry, the translation patch's thread includes an extensive guide on how to apply the patch, with a link to the patching tool included and all.

2 hours ago, Sooks said:

YES reject SRPGS, play the best Zelda.

Mah boi.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Lyn's Paralogue

Madelyn + Quick Riposte + Hit engraved Tomahawk -> Eating Bow Knight for breakfast

Who is Madelyn?

59 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Quadruple Tactics for 25€ hmmm

...Excuse me? I'm kind of confused by your latest posts lol

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Me and my dad were talking plans for the Spain trip. @Saint Rubenio any touristy places you can recommend that isn't like, the obvious stuff (like museum visits is something we'll obviously for example do so I don't need recommendations for those).

Well, I'm no expect, and I don't know where exactly you're going, but the first to come to mind: If you're in Barcelona, make sure to visit Gaudi's bulidings. Gaudi was an architect, very well known in Spain as a genius of the craft. His buildings are truly something to behold. Most of them are located in Barcelona, though he built a couple of things in the provinces of León and Cantabria.

If you're going down south, you probably were already thinking of this, but the Alhambra in Granada is one of Spain's greatest landmarks. An astounding piece of Arab architecture, quite worth visiting.

For something more natural, Las Medulas was one of the biggest gold mines of the Roman Empire. They are well known for their red sand, which gives them a unique landscape. A most excellent place for hiking.

I hear the isles have pretty impressive sights. Though La Palma was hit by a massive volcanic cataclysm a year back, it's not doing so good. Then again, that might make it more interesting to visit - not entirely sure what the state of tourism there is.

Lastly, a bar. Any bar of medium quality will do. You gotta discover the world of tapas and pintxos. Imagine being served food with your drink, entirely for free. One of those really awesome Spanish customs. I've had days where I've eaten just by having a couple drinks at the right bars.

59 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Fun.

From retreading the same ground?

In addition, Side Adventures are the ones that inform the game's themes and enhance the story

That is certainly a claim that I would not make about the side adventures I’ve done thus far.

Well, actually, maybe not…

You can start it in Lookout Landing.

I thought I talked to everyone…

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I keep making that typo

I thought it was intentional, I could’ve never known

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Just the ROM and the patch, which you can find here. Prepatched versions online might be outdated (current version is 2.3), but don't worry, the translation patch's thread includes an extensive guide on how to apply the patch, with a link to the patching tool included and all.

Wonderful!

47 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Go to Lugo up north. It has a full set of intact Roman walls that encompasses the entirety of the ancient city. I think that alone is very fascinating.

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

For something more natural, Las Medulas was one of the biggest gold mines of the Roman Empire. They are well known for their red sand, which gives them a unique landscape. A most excellent place for hiking.

Ooh Rome!

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I thought it was intentional, I could’ve never known

Plot twist: I've made it by accident a few times before. This time it was on purpose.

2 minutes ago, Hanes said:

Go to Lugo up north. It has a full set of intact Roman walls that encompasses the entirety of the ancient city. I think that alone is very fascinating.

That's a pretty good suggestion too.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's a pretty good suggestion too.

I have family that moved to Spain. I suggested they go there too, although I wonder if they'd be as entranced as I'd be, LOL.

GIh3gZF.jpg

Nanna?

DkETOBI.jpg

Ruben approves. I think

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Quadruple yes

Hmm

Convince me

29 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Who is Madelyn?

Lyn's mother obvs

Shiny Marnie

...Excuse me?

Q0do8ve.png

I'm kind of confused by your latest posts lol

Life will eventualy lead me to

just-one-drink.gif

But for the incoming couple hours, Engage is holding the depresso expresso back

Holy shit it’s Malaya

Also I like how the thread now has 3 people with family in Spain. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

XifT3kJ.png

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

GIh3gZF.jpg

Nanna?

Give her Leif emblem.

Hmm

Convince me

Oh shit, I need time to speak to the NPCs to gather evidence with which to persuade the electorate you

But for the incoming couple hours, Engage is holding the depresso expresso back

Yooooo it’s me with totk

Just now, Sooks said:

Give her Leif emblem

Honestly...

I actually might. I am cooking something in my head for her which will only work with Leif.

But it all depends on how her stats will raise in the next few chapters

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

totk

I need to Zelda already lol. I have been holding back on it for months

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Also I like how the thread now has 3 people with family in Spain. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

XifT3kJ.png

I'm pretty sure I also have... but they're likely to be distant relatives at this point (I'm talking three-four generations removed since best I know, I had at least one great-grandparent who moved here from Spain), so I doubt it'd count.

30 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

DkETOBI.jpg

Ruben approves. I think

I do, yes.

Hmm

Convince me

A unique and fun cast of units including, but not limited to, a woman that controls the weather, a geologist who casts spells based on the terrain she's standing on, a guy that lures or converts enemies by being annoying, a barrel, a clown that can create copies of herself as decoys and copy enemy moves, a smithy who can build ladders, traps and turrets around the map... Seriously wild concepts here. Character customization is low (though there are upgrade trees to pick from, as well as FE-style promotions) but almost every character is a whole new world.

The experience system ensures overleveling is impossible and keeping up, child's play. Plus, even if you lose, you can choose to keep the experience gained. Thus, it's an easy task to keep the entire team up to date - and important, because building specific characters isn't the way in this game. Characters are highly specialized, encouraging giving everyone a shot and trying to find the most suitable team for each mission rather than stick with a group of generalists that can withstand any situation.

A well-written, grounded story with some slightly wordy dialogue and stiff VA deliveries, but still an enjoyable read. It just starts slow, but you ate up Trails, you can handle four chapters of character introductions. If the story-gameplay ratio worries you, however, after chapter 4 the game begins introducing mock battles, strictly gameplay-focused battles where you can catch characters up, grind for money and items if you like and just enjoy some fighting without further pretense. Past the first few ones, which are simpler, there are quite a few of them that are actually really fun and really difficult, so don't look at them as mere grinding skirmishes.

Choices that matter. There's a ton of branches in the game, and though every few chapters they converge, this still means very few chapters remain the same through runs, granting the game a ton of replay value - further bolstered by the NG+, which continues to scale enemies along your level while letting you keep all the characters and upgrades you've got. It's not a "rolfstomp the enemy with all the shit you got in the run" mode. Quite the opposite, I would almost call it more fun, because the game continues to scale but you have more characters and abilities, opening up a whole world of possibilities with which to confront alternate maps you didn't see the first time.

Great difficulty settings. Very easy is a nice, cozy VN mode, normal is fair and hard is quite the challenge without feeling unfair. Well designed modes.

It looks pretty and sounds really good.

You'll probably be a Frederica stan, but Benedict is great and you should do what he says every time. EDIT: Jokes aside though, all three protags are great. It really takes a lot for me to give points to a generic anime waifu and a dashing blonde noble when a man like Benedict is standing right next, but Freddie and Roland are excellent in their own ways, too.

So uh, yeah. I think that about covers it. Funny Triangle game is good. I've played it three times now, I've double-dipped, and I'm definitely going to go for the fourth, and final, route sooner or later. Consider that my endorsement. I find it to be a great strategy game.

Q0do8ve.png

Ahh, I actually figured it'd be this, but then I went on Steam and didn't see the discount. Didn't think of that!

24 minutes ago, Sooks said:

XifT3kJ.png

I guess "has lived in Spain his entire life with his family" does technically mean I have "family in Spain."

24 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Oh shit, I need time to speak to the NPCs to gather evidence with which to persuade the electorate you

Sooks, bring the scales of conviction. We must make a decision.

Pose honest arguments to convince Shrimpy: Frederica, Erador.

Bribe Shrimpy by accepting a game recc of his own:  Hughette, Geela, Roland.

Manipulate Shrimpy with the hot knight lady: Benedict.

Undecided: Anna.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Many people confuse me for a spanish person, do i count in these spanish gathering?

a woman that controls the weather, a geologist who casts spells based on the terrain she's standing on, a guy that lures or converts enemies by being annoying, a barrel, a clown that can create copies of herself as decoys and copy enemy moves, a smithy who can build ladders, traps and turrets around the map.

These all sound fun...but how do they work in the gameplay?

Or is beeg damage always the best option

some slightly wordy

This scares me

Demo was 80% Story - yuck

but you ate up Trails

*used to

after chapter 4 the game begins introducing mock battles, strictly gameplay-focused battles where you can catch characters up, grind for money and items if you like and just enjoy some fighting without further pretense.

I generally don't enjoy griding battles in SRPGs - do i need them to catch up with the enemy? How's the gamplay/story ratio without them?

You'll probably be a Frederica stan

yes, i realised that from the demo lol

I always say

"Waifubandos make me interested, but don't make me stay"

So Benedict's choice is the wrong one here 😛

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Listen to this. Preparations theme.

I like half of FE's prep themes more. Most of the ones after FE8 that aren't Awakening's, really.

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

Many people confuse me for a spanish person, do i count in these spanish gathering?

Madrid oder München, hauptsache Italien

49 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Life will eventualy lead me to

just-one-drink.gif

But for the incoming couple hours, Engage is holding the depresso expresso back.

Don’t say that so mournfully Shrimp-kun, drinking should be a happy occasion! Just look at me, I’m drunk as a skunk and as jolly as can be!

Lol totk

Spoiler

Disaster in Rito Village: an absolutely massive blizzard is ravaging the region, making food scarce. Pretty much every adult has had to leave the village to scour for food.

Disaster in Goron City: lmao all the young adults are doing drugs lol rip

I need to Zelda already lol. I have been holding back on it for months

Wait are you a Zelda fan Shrimpy? Would that be your first one?

43 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

-Triangle Strategy stuff-

Nice, my homework done for me

I guess "has lived in Spain his entire life with his family" does technically mean I have "family in Spain."

yes I did make the wild assumption that having been born and lived in Spain meant you had at least a family member there

I was trying to tie everyone under the same banner. But yours is a lot more major, so I’m sorry.

Sooks, bring the scales of conviction. We must make a decision.

Pose honest arguments to convince Shrimpy: Frederica, Erador.

Bribe Shrimpy by accepting a game recc of his own:  Hughette, Geela, Roland.

Undecided: Anna.

First choice - Morality

Second - Liberty

Third - Utility also we both know the game would’ve put Geela here

28 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

These all sound fun...but how do they work in the gameplay?

Or is beeg damage always the best option

I think this slightly depends on the difficulty but on hard mode at least, beeg damage has to be used carefully and strategically, because bosses are usually strong enough that need to be hit with beeg damage several times and the turn order means that you can’t just throw beeg damage (squishy mages or Roland) at the enemy thoughtlessly, because 9/10 times they will die. You have to use all the tools at your disposal together to succeed.

I generally don't enjoy griding battles in SRPGs - do i need them to catch up with the enemy? How's the gamplay/story ratio without them?

So I actually skipped the mock battles, I don’t really like doing side battles just cause. The ratio like this is a little bit heavy on the story side HOWEVER it is not as bad as the chapters in the demo (once you get to chapter 7 it isn’t as bad… I’d say more like 60:40 although this varies wildly by chapter) and the story massively picks up imho.

But yeah the mock battles are just kinda there, they feel like a chore to me, regardless of how fun they may or may not be. Luckily it’s completely optional, I actually find it easier to catch up under leveled units by bringing them to main story missions and just retreating, but that may just be me.

"Waifubandos make me interested, but don't make me stay"

So Benedict's choice is the wrong one here 😛

Because Benedict’s choice is always the wrong one, it’s actually a metaphor

I got Benedict’s ending the first time around

I like half of FE's prep themes more. Most of the ones after FE8 that aren't Awakening's, really.

And damn, curse the full OST not being uploaded in individual video form. There’s more I would like to share.

Hmm

Convince me

So I think one of the biggest appeals of Triangle Strategy is the unit variety. Every unit is pretty unique and there is no other who can do exactly what they do. This combined with the exp system, which makes it fairly easy to bring up under leveled guys and borderline impossible to over level makes it so this isn’t really a game where you train up a team of gods who can do everything and bring them to each map. Instead, it’s encouraged to alternate through units and bring those who fit best to the challenges each map offers. Every map even “recommends” units from your roster to bring (but others can definitely be made to work) and almost none of them feel useless (Picoletta fans in shambles). It’s easier to build a massive army of unique units on NG+, but it’s still a fun element of your first run.

The game is generally a difficult strategy game, hard mode is HARD and normal provides a fair challenge.

The story imo is pretty good, I think you’ll enjoy simping for Frederica the whole way through at least a little bit. It is a bit wordy and heavy handed with the “yes my lord! For our demesne!” dialogue, the English voice acting is kinda mid a lot of the time, but the core plot is good and the main three characters are all great. I know Ruben mentioned you were able to sit through Trails and you were all “used to” but unlike Trails nowadays, this story is enjoyable! There’s even an old school trails level plot twist close to the end

Idk if this a thing you like but choices do matter here. They don’t go completely crazy here because the story converges on the same points but every voting outcome leads to a different map.

As I’ve shared a bit of, I think the music is great. If only there existed a better form of the OST on YouTube…